Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M17/M18 - Gort to Tuam [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,430 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

m17 wrote: »
    The ballygaddy road junction on the tuam bypass [/IMG]29/06/172017-07-13_01-19-56_zpsvoe28zlj.jpg

That is a very short run in to the roundabout, coming off at 120 to a stop in twenty metres is some trick.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,982 ✭✭✭threeball

That is a very short run in to the roundabout, coming off at 120 to a stop in twenty metres is some trick.

That section is bypass not motorway so more likely to be an 80kph limit if not less.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭m17

The m17 at ballinphuil 02/01/16IMAG1006_zpsxdc4fcag.jpg14/07/17IMAG1578_zpsjieoymml.jpg

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

threeball wrote: »
    That section is bypass not motorway so more likely to be an 80kph limit if not less.
    It's a grade seperated dual carraigeway! The limit will be 100km/h along its length.

Annagh hill 16/03/162017-07-15_10-41-40_zpsypggfcny.jpg15/07/17IMAG1722_zps4zlhylro.jpgthe flyover 16/03/162017-07-15_10-42-01_zpsgvw5zfec.jpg15/07/17IMAG1734_zpsx5g1vhtg.jpgthe slip road 16/03/162017-07-15_10-41-22_zpsfqoliiso.jpg15/07/17IMAG1739_zpsvp465xcf.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Marino48 wrote: »
    Great progress shots everyone. Can't wait till its finally open.
    Heard today from a reliable source that the motorway won't be open till December this year.
    It will be ready after the cycle run in September but the council won't pay the contractors to maintain the road for the extra period.
    Tidy up after road crashes, fix damaged barriers cut grass etc etc.
    Obviously they don't sit in ClareGalway for Clarinbridge traffic for hours every week.
    Next one that knocks on my door for a vote.............

Your source, unfortunately, seems to be spot on.

According to DPER, operational payments for the M17/M18 begin in December 2017.

Also, the council has no involvement here. Try Sean Canney and get him to divert the obscene waste of €1.2m for a bridge for a disused railway in Ballyglunin towards an earlier opening of the M17/M18 PPP.

The kilmore roundabout is now complete 15/07/17IMAG1748_zpsp4bhpv7b.jpg

It's 60kmph between the bypass and the roundaboutIMAG1751_zpstlvelhua.jpg

The m17 500 metres from annagh hillIMAG1717_zpsffz3t4vf.jpg

It's 60kmph between the bypass and the roundaboutIMAG1751_zpstlvelhua.jpg
    In fairness if you're going over 60km/h passing that sign it's time for a trip to the **** Creek Paddle Shop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭red bull

What is the speed limit on the m17 before the Kilmore roundabout

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Roadfan

In fairness if you're going over 60km/h passing that sign it's time for a trip to the **** Creek Paddle Shop.
    Slightly off topic but I must note that expression for future use

red bull wrote: »
    What is the speed limit on the m17 before the Kilmore roundabout

End of the m17 before the kilmore roundabout 16/07/17IMAG1759_zpsl3hoki0p.jpgend of the m17 looking towards rathmorrissyIMAG1764_zpsxhcaxjxp.jpg

The kilmore roundabout 17/01/172017-07-17_06-30-40_zpslnx1ip38.jpg17/07/17IMAG1763_zps3z3nyzql.jpg

Efforts fail to have completed tuam bypass opened earlyIMAG1752_zps9xutyjwg.jpghttp://connachttribune.ie/efforts-fail-completed-tuam-bypass-opened-early-200

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Markiemarkso

Anyone know why they had put a lump of concrete the whole length in between the Mountpotter roundabout and the roundabout at Joe Burke road, I can see it making things rather difficult for car transporters delivering to Parsons

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭ELCAT2009

Anyone know why they had put a lump of concrete the whole length in between the Mountpotter roundabout and the roundabout at Joe Burke road, I can see it making things rather difficult for car transporters delivering to Parsons
    I imagine its for safety, with the short distance between the roundabouts, local residents dont have too far to go to allow them cross over to the opposite side.
    As regard parson unloading cars, dont see this being possible as they usually just pull up outside on the path. no way vehicles will be able to pass. They will have to unload on the hard shoulder around the Ard Ri i suspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭ELCAT2009

marno21 wrote: »
    Your source, unfortunately, seems to be spot on.

According to DPER, operational payments for the M17/M18 begin in December 2017.

Also, the council has no involvement here. Try Sean Canney and get him to divert the obscene waste of €1.2m for a bridge for a disused railway in Ballyglunin towards an earlier opening of the M17/M18 PPP.

How often are these payments made during the year? Any chance these payments are made in retrospect ie at the end of the period like you would you ESB bill!? ie so the road opens early Nov and they pay the bill for Nov / Dec at end of Dec?

The m17 near tuam 02/02/162017-07-17_02-03-34_zpssqvrtwxd.jpg17/07/17IMAG1760_zpsikj0qe7n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭muddle84

ELCAT2009 wrote: »
    I imagine its for safety, with the short distance between the roundabouts, local residents dont have too far to go to allow them cross over to the opposite side.
    As regard parson unloading cars, dont see this being possible as they usually just pull up outside on the path. no way vehicles will be able to pass. They will have to unload on the hard shoulder around the Ard Ri i suspect.
    It's for safety but also for traffic flow. It eliminates the risk of you getting stuck behind somebody trying to turn right and cross a busy lane of traffic when there is a roundabout only up ahead which will be a quicker and safer way to get to your destination. Its a good idea!

• Advertisement

The m17 gets the sos phones 17/07/17IMAG1772_zpsjoiq7rr0.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Efforts fail to have completed tuam bypass opened early
    http://connachttribune.ie/efforts-fail-completed-tuam-bypass-opened-early-200[/URL]

Sounds like they are going to keep on the pressure though- I agree with them, if the damn thing is almost ready just get a move on and ready it completely for opening- this infrastructure has cost the country enough, we all might as well reap the benefits asap.
    I remember similar here with the M9 in south Kildare and public pressure brought the opening forward pre Xmas 09.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Markiemarkso

muddle84 wrote: »
    It's for safety but also for traffic flow. It eliminates the risk of you getting stuck behind somebody trying to turn right and cross a busy lane of traffic when there is a roundabout only up ahead which will be a quicker and safer way to get to your destination. Its a good idea!

It might be a good idea, if the road were to remain the N17, but traffic volumes should decrease a large amount once the bypass is opened so there should be no issues for turning right into their driveways. If I was living there i wouldn't be happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

Efforts fail to have completed tuam bypass opened early
    http://connachttribune.ie/efforts-fail-completed-tuam-bypass-opened-early-200
    From that article:
    It won’t be open for the Races
    It ... could be open for the Races
    :rolleyes:

serfboard wrote: »
    From that article:

:rolleyes:

Galway County Council have no input in this decision. It's down to TII and DirectRoute, the PPP concessionaire.

The m18 at coldwood looking towards gort end of the langans section 18/07/17IMAG1769_zpssmahclax.jpgcoldwood looking towards rathmorrissy start of the sisk sectionIMAG1768_zpsspmyhvzg.jpgsisk have 2 kms of the m18 and 6.5 of the m17 (wearing course to be done on the northbound lane)

Rathmorrissy 28/09/15IMAG0789_zpsvw2bclwa.jpg28/06/17IMAG2356_zpshyeco3s7.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Still a bit of work on Rathmorrissy I see. Lining and possibly final wearing courses.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

spacetweek wrote: »
    Still a bit of work on Rathmorrissy I see. Lining and possibly final wearing courses.

That pic is dated 24/6/17 on the Direct Route site, so it's probably gotten a good bit further along in the 3 weeks since.

• Advertisement

That pic is dated 24/6/17 on the Direct Route site, so it's probably gotten a good bit further along in the 3 weeks since.

Rathmorrissy 18/07/17 wearing course done on most of the slip roadsIMAG1788_zps1dvfwson.jpg

Advertisement