Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breakfast with Ray (Foley) and Jay [Cork's Red FM, 6am-9am]

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭jezzer

IUA14 wrote: »
    Didn't really get that from the podcast...think its just a case of waiting for something to come up that fits really. Would love for himself and Ann to do something...the 2FM weekend schedule seems to be quietly undergoing a revamp with no permanent weekend breakfast host the last while and Ruth Scott having been moved out so may be something there at some stage for Foley!

On another note, JNLR figures out tomorrow...first set that may show how Foley is being received on weekends in Cork...and may possibly lead to opportunities elsewhere if certain slides continue.

where is ruth scott gone?

I would agree but he's on Red FM every Saturday (and some Sunday's) since the summer and it would be a foot in the door scenario back at a national station. I reckon this year will see at least one of the 2FM weekday shows on from 7am to 8pm be canned, if not two.

maybe it suits foley right now to be working weekends with a young family, friday on the 6 o clock show then sat/sun in cork but i dont think thats viable long term as it would be about 2 and a half hour commute each way for him plus i wouldnt imagine the money would be great, i'd say its more to keep his eye in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Euphoria Intensifies

I was under the impression that he usually does the show from Dublin as opposed to from Cork, but maybe I'm wrong.

Looking forward to listening to the new ep tomorrow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭The Parish Priest.

I would agree but he's on Red FM every Saturday (and some Sunday's) since the summer and it would be a foot in the door scenario back at a national station. I reckon this year will see at least one of the 2FM weekday shows on from 7am to 8pm be canned, if not two.
    What 2fm shows do you reckon will be axed?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭statto25

Did Ray have a small dig at Dermot Whelan in the podcast? His name was whispered while they were making some joke but I havent had a chance to listen back yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭Testament1

Haven't listened to the new one yet but in a couple of the old episodes there was some open slagging of Dermot and Dave.

Paraphrasing here, "I love that Dermot and Dave are always presented as being hilarious......yet there's never any evidence to support this"

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Ray has said before that when he was at Today FM "Dermot and Dave were a bi-word for bad radio". He's been pretty open about not liking them for ages tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 DelGato

If the last couple of weeks is anything to go by, he wasn't far wrong.

DelGato wrote: »
    If the last couple of weeks is anything to go by, he wasn't far wrong.

was there a bust up with D&D and foley?

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭IUA14

jezzer wrote: »
    was there a bust up with D&D and foley?

No just a mutual dislike I think. Didn't hear any comment from Foley about D&D in the podcast but might have missed it. Always seemed a bit more pisstakey than hard hitting hatred to be fair.

• Advertisement

No just a mutual dislike I think. Didn't hear any comment from Foley about D&D in the podcast but might have missed it. Always seemed a bit more pisstakey than hard hitting hatred to be fair.

was his hatred of ruth scott real?

was his hatred of ruth scott real?

Don't think so, always more of a piss taking situation there too, have seen them on TV3 together a couple of times.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

I think his hatred of Fiona Looney was though :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

statto25 wrote: »
    Did Ray have a small dig at Dermot Whelan in the podcast? His name was whispered while they were making some joke but I havent had a chance to listen back yet

Yeah heard it myself earlier. Was when they were talking about a 'murder' of crows. Said under his breath something like "fully expecting to hear that from Dermot Whelan next week"

I think his hatred of Fiona Looney was though :D

everyones hatred of looney is real!! (i still would though...;))

Synode wrote: »
    Yeah heard it myself earlier. Was when they were talking about a 'murder' of crows. Said under his breath something like "fully expecting to hear that from Dermot Whelan next week"

would foley be sour D&D are on the up as he went on the slide?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Who knows (but you'd have to guess 'yes' knowing Foley :pac:)

God I miss him and JP on the radio. Having to live on scraps via the podcasts just isn't right. Though we should be thankful for them because they're great

Synode wrote: »
    Who knows (but you'd have to guess 'yes' knowing Foley :pac:)

God I miss him and JP on the radio. Having to live on scraps via the podcasts just isn't right. Though we should be thankful for them because they're great

ah yea, when you think of the rubbish thats on the radio at the moment its not right, ray and jp was the hay day of radio

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

TBH if I were Foley it would stick in my craw a bit that D&D seem to be in so much favour with management given that since moving to Today FM they haven't had any impact in terms of listenership, especially if I had been successful in that slot and was now being met by roadblocks.

I always thought his dislike of their show was a bit silly, because I felt that they were in a very similar category and really would have worked well back to back.

But then, we really don't know Foley, so who knows why he doesn't like them, or even if his dislike is real or just to get us all worked up on boards and writing posts like this trying to be amateur psychologists.

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    TBH if I were Foley it would stick in my craw a bit that D&D seem to be in so much favour with management given that since moving to Today FM they haven't had any impact in terms of listenership, especially if I had been successful in that slot and was now being met by roadblocks.

I always thought his dislike of their show was a bit silly, because I felt that they were in a very similar category and really would have worked well back to back.

But then, we really don't know Foley, so who knows why he doesn't like them, or even if his dislike is real or just to get us all worked up on boards and writing posts like this trying to be amateur psychologists.

back in the hay day foley was a bit of a big head in fairness, king of the radio...love the show and all that craic (oh how the mighty have fallen) and i dont think he liked the competition, i too would count D&D and foley and jp in the same bracket and i too think they would have worked well back to back, but when you look at how their different trajectories have gone.... D&D are the main man and foley does a part time gig on cork radio.... did foley leave todayfm to do 98fm mornings or was he pushed?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭The Parish Priest.

back in the hay day foley was a bit of a big head in fairness, king of the radio...love the show and all that craic (oh how the mighty have fallen) and i dont think he liked the competition, i too would count D&D and foley and jp in the same bracket and i too think they would have worked well back to back, but when you look at how their different trajectories have gone.... D&D are the main man and foley does a part time gig on cork radio.... did foley leave todayfm to do 98fm mornings or was he pushed?

Foley went to 98 fm because himself and his best friend Liam Thompson,(who was pd of 98 and acting pd of today fm at the time) thought that his poor mans Chris Moyles act could become the number 1 breakfast show in Dublin

Don't know why we have gone back to 2012 but he left, was not pushed. Lunchtime slot on Today FM has fallen from 156,000 to 115,000...make of that what you will.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭seabee

Did anyone notice the bit 15 minutes in about A Dell Computer - those will always let you down, you can depend of them for years and then when you need them most they'll just let you down. Al added that "it's almost like the memory is short".
    Any connection to the current APD of his former emplyer or am I grasping at straws?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 jackmcc

seabee wrote: »
    Did anyone notice the bit 15 minutes in about A Dell Computer - those will always let you down, you can depend of them for years and then when you need them most they'll just let you down. Al added that "it's almost like the memory is short".
    Any connection to the current APD of his former emplyer or am I grasping at straws?

Its definitely what you thought, they were having so much fun with it too. It was very funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 carnin

No, it's not that at all. I remember back on a podcast in the Today FM days, he mentioned that Dave Moore had made some really bitchy unprovoked comments about him on twitter, and I think Ray took it personally. I'm pretty sure he said he didn't have a problem with Dermot Whelan though.
    I probably still have it somewhere, but it'd be like trying to find a needle in a haystack.

jackmcc wrote: »
    Its definitely what you thought, they were having so much fun with it too. It was very funny.

I knew it! Never trust anyone who doesn't like lazy radio!

carnin wrote: »
    No, it's not that at all. I remember back on a podcast in the Today FM days, he mentioned that Dave Moore had made some really bitchy unprovoked comments about him on twitter, and I think Ray took it personally. I'm pretty sure he said he didn't have a problem with Dermot Whelan though.
    I probably still have it somewhere, but it'd be like trying to find a needle in a haystack.

why would dave moore be slagging foley?

Foley went to 98 fm because himself and his best friend Liam Thompson,(who was pd of 98 and acting pd of today fm at the time) thought that his poor mans Chris Moyles act could become the number 1 breakfast show in Dublin

bad bad move

why would dave moore be slagging foley?

Who knows? Jealousy? Considering this was back when Ray was at his peak on Today FM and Dermot and Dave were stuck on 98fm breakfast... or maybe Ray took the last Jaffa cake at a communicorp radio presenters conference, or maybe he just didn't like him on the radio.

Either way, I think that was where the animosity started.

• Advertisement

carnin wrote: »
    Who knows? Jealousy? Considering this was back when Ray was at his peak on Today FM and Dermot and Dave were stuck on 98fm breakfast... or maybe Ray took the last Jaffa cake at a communicorp radio presenters conference, or maybe he just didn't like him on the radio.

Either way, I think that was where the animosity started.

surely foley would have known that going to a failing dublin only station was a bad move? straight away he lost the majority of his listeners.. nobody goes from national to regional? he had made all the right moves before that, going from spin and 98 up to national radio then he fecks it all away...it was never going to work for foley on 98, its dublin only and i would imagine his fan base is predominantly outside of dublin, hes not a breakfast style presenter and 98 was already past the point of no return, perhaps complacency on foleys part?

Advertisement