Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cringeworthy irish traditions that won't just die

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Squatter wrote: »
    The missus has just told me that it's done in an attempt to bring good weather for a wedding or communion or somesuch.

Fair fcuks....everyday is a learning day

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Who says this happens? I knew both my Granddad's but I've no idea who they voted for and my parents seem to vary election to election. Is it a culchie thing?

It really does happen.
    A lad at work told me his father would "turn in his grave" if he didn't vote for Fianna Fail. I have heard loads say similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

darlett wrote:
    Do other countries have begrudgery? Im sure its a myth that they dont, but the people who predictably line up to take chunks out of successful and popular groups like Rose of Tralee or Bono or McIllroy or Edna (hehe) or the Late Late or Gaa or generalising attacks on culchies or the Dubs(as if either group is defined by one person someone met pissed in the jacks) or the prods or the RCs or...

Giving out about "Irish begrudgery" needs to **** off and die in a ditch!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,919 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Announcing the deaths on local radio.

Three day events.... weddings and funerals.

(Are three day event funerals only in Cork... day one rosary, day two removal, day three the funeral).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭Miss Demeanour

Candie wrote: »
    People blessing themselves when they pass a church.

I do that but only cos I need to take the right turn after a church going to work and I don't know my left from my right .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Musketeer4 wrote: »
    Throwing the Child of Prague in the ditch the evening before a wedding.

Naver heard of that before, and what does itactually mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

I never heard of this until morning of one of the sisters wedding.....was out for a walk as house was overrun with people

Some ould wan down the road asked me about it....and just looked at her rather confused and said yes.....still have no idea what it means

I have heard that the belief is the Child Of Prague will keep the weather fine for the wedding or whatever event is taking place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

What child of Prague?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,284 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Just flicked past TG4 and saw some auld lad doing Sean Nós singing and it gave me an idea for this thread.

Like whats the point of Sean Nós. Stinks of making it up as you go along

I don't really see how Sean Nós singing is cringeworthy. A steaming pile of sh*te? Yes, absolutely, but so too are electronic dance music and pretty much anything that passes as chart music these days (imo) and I wouldn't consider them cringeworthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

LordSutch wrote: »
    What child of Prague?

The child of Prague is a statue of baby Jesus. If left outside it supposedly brought good weather.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,284 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

What child of Prague?

One of these yokes. Standard equipment for pretty much every house in Ireland up to about the late 70s.

What child of Prague?

This is a Child of Prague. Its a statuary representation of the child Jesus.

It's a Catholic thing, they used to be in most houses along with holy water fonts at the hall door in generations past. Apparently, if you put the statuette outside when you want good weather and say a prayer, then you'll get it.

It's an old-fashioned, harmless, and quite charming Irish tradition.

As is being obsessed with immersion heaters being left on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭valoren

The Billy Barry kids on the Late Late Toy Show. Cringegasm every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,398 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Just flicked past TG4 and saw some auld lad doing Sean Nós singing and it gave me an idea for this thread.

Like whats the point of Sean Nós. Stinks of making it up as you go along

I like Séan Nós for the most part but what pisses me off is when you're in the pub having the craic and all of a sudden, someone will stand up and just starting singing. You have to sit their in silence till they are finished..it's not just Séan Nós though..happens all the time. Having a great time, then someone gets out their ****ing guitar and starts singing "the old triangle" and your night out has been hijacked by a sing song session :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

"Ta ana athas orm an corn seo a glacagh.......":o:o:eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,235 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Musketeer4 wrote: »
    Throwing the Child of Prague in the ditch the evening before a wedding.

Maybe more putting it under a hedge than throwing it in the ditch, but however, I can vouch that this works. When my son (Catholic-ish) and his fiancee (just about CofI) were getting married someone loaned us a Child of Prague I (lapsed Methodist and now atheist) was entertained by this idea so I put it out.

They got one lovely sunny August day, with wet and miserable weather before the day, and more rain after it! So evidently you don't need the prayer!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,612 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

I would say it's quite cringey to assume all these things that happen all over the world are somehow uniquely Irish.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

supporting a scottish football team called sell'thick...and deluding yourself that they're an irish team

• Registered Users Posts: 28,444 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Clapping when the plane lands.

This is not an Irish thing. I've experienced many nationalities doing this.

It's more the 'once a year' package holiday flier who does it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,131 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

The world's richest organization going door to door begging for money every Monday night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

Constantly trying to think of things that are great/terrible about the Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭mojesius

Jedward

Aul wans saying 'Bless You' when you sneeze. Is there a place where they go to get ordained to be able to bestow such a gift on you?

That tradition goes back to at least the 6th century. It's related to a blessing bestowed on people when they sneezed as sneezing was a possible indication that they may have the plague.

Hence the children's rhyme:

"A tissue, a tissue and they all fall down"

Now off to this thread with you and confess;

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056838009&page=287

• Closed Accounts Posts: 571 ✭✭✭pcuser

The way people can sing the most depressing songs ever at any event. "I remember Olde Ireland like it was yesterday" When In fact they are only going to see fungi on the boat and are 1 min from shore.

That tradition goes back to at least the 6th century. It's related to a blessing bestowed on people when they sneezed as sneezing was a possible indication that they may have the plague.

Hence the children's rhyme:

"A tissue, a tissue and they all fall down"

It's more likely to have been 'Atishoo, atishoo', since Kleenex wasn't in business at the time.

It's more likely to have been 'Atishoo, atishoo', since Kleenex wasn't in business at the time.

Be a grammar nazi if it makes you feel better :pac:

Be a grammar nazi if it makes you feel better :pac:

It's not about grammar. Anyway, no need to be so sensitive about it, it's just a silly error that was slightly amusing.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,131 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Celebrating when 'our team' gets a 0-0 in an international.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,227 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Pac1Man wrote: »
    Traveling football fans who bring flags with Father Ted references.

Careful now

• Advertisement

It's not about grammar. Anyway, no need to be so sensitive about it, it's just a silly error that was slightly amusing.

It wasn't an error I just couldn't have been bothered spelling it the correct way

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement