Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cringeworthy irish traditions that won't just die

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

looksee wrote: »
    Christmas pubs?

Not an Irish tradition, it's more American, plenty gobsh1tes in Ireland trying to imitate American culture over the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,547 ✭✭✭veryangryman

endacl wrote: »
    So does jazz. There's an improvisory component to each form. As it happens, I'm fond of both.

Do you always get pissed of by things you don't understand?
    Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

looksee wrote: »
    I was in the US a couple of weeks ago and travelled on a lot of buses, and not only did many people greet the driver and thank him as they got off, the driver often held long shouted conversations with people sitting on the bus.

If you ask an American for directions and you didn't really get it first time don't ask them again, just move on to the next person ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭h7nlrp2v0g5u48

Coddle
    goddy for those who don't what that is a mixture of bread, milk and sugar with hot water mixed through. YUCK

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 843 ✭✭✭HandsomeDan

Church run public schools.

I mean, what the fúck?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭h7nlrp2v0g5u48

I mean, what the fúck?
    The Priest calling to the house for his brown envelope and the best cups ans saucers brought out and the tin of usa biscuits left over from xmas. Robbing blastard. I loved those biscuits.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I mean, what the fúck?

Many christian countries have them, uk, Aust., US, Canada..not peculiarly Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I mean, what the fúck?

I presume the newly founded state could not afford to run an independent education system.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Many christian countries have them, uk, Aust., US, Canada..not peculiarly Irish.

As an option though. In Ireland nearly every national and secondary school were run by the Church in some capacity.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

As an option though. In Ireland nearly every national and secondary school were run by the Church in some capacity.

The RCC were the only show in town once most of the COI people were either run out of it or left of their own accord post '22.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

Or having a mass for everything, even if its not even slightly religious... Like opening a new business, graduating from school / college, or (my fav) launching a new boat..... A Mass every time...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭Duddy

The Healey-Raes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

The good biscuits for visitors

The good biscuits from visitors

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

The Christmas jumper. Why just why?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

Catholic schools in the US are NOT public schools, they are private schools. I can't speak for Australia and Canada, but I doubt they are public schools there either.

Giving Belleek china as a gift. The modern stuff is cheap and the expensive stuff isn't vintage. Leave it to the 2nd hand/collectors market.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭cactusgal

Catholic schools in the US are NOT public schools, they are private schools. I can't speak for Australia and Canada, but I doubt they are public schools there either.

Yep, any religious school in the USA is most definitely private. It's in the US Constitution that church and state are separate, so all US public schools are strictly secular. (I attended American public schools K-12 and then for university)

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Spoopy

Posting images of pints/drinks from the airport and Maniac 2000.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

Lining up at funerals shaking hands with people you have never met in your life and saying "sorry for your troubles "

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

^^^^^^^^

doesn't that happen in other countries too??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,260 ✭✭✭✭endacl

The Christmas jumper. Why just why?

Like the Xmas pub, that one's a recent import.

That dancing around brushes on the ground You see at some weddings to prove the bride and groom are somehow rooted in a deep culture , no talent to the thing st all and looks crap .

Eulogising at funerals to somehow rewrite history and claim the deceased wasn't the bollix most of the funeral goers know he/she was.

Oops69 wrote: »
    That dancing around brushes on the ground You see at some weddings to prove the bride and groom are somehow rooted in a deep culture , no talent to the thing st all and looks crap .

A brush dance done properly takes skill. Not really my thing, but I don't knock it. Perhaps it's not 'to prove'. Perhaps it's 'to demonstrate'?

Eulogising at funerals to somehow rewrite history and claim the deceased wasn't the bollix most of the funeral goers know he/she was.

That ones not even irish. That's just what people do everywhere. Are you just pulling stuff out of your hole now?

:)

That ones not even irish. That's just what people do everywhere. Are you just pulling stuff out of your hole now?

:)
    Not really , in most other countries people just don't turn up to bollixes funerals.

Not really , in most other countries people just don't turn up to bollixes funerals.

Of course they do. You just don't have a weird chip on your shoulder about those countries.

Community mourning is and always has been a feature of many cultures. Especially ones with an agrarian heritage.

Of course they do. You just don't have a weird chip on your shoulder about those countries.

Community mourning is and always has been a feature of many cultures. Especially ones with an agrarian heritage.
    all countries have an' agrarian heritage ' whatever that relationship has with mourning , including all european countries , you don't get any of this daftness in most european countries .

A brush dance done properly takes skill. Not really my thing, but I don't knock it. Perhaps it's not 'to prove'. Perhaps it's 'to demonstrate'?
    you cant be serious , this thread is like being back in 1940,s Ireland , weren't the comely maiden at the crossroads lovely

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Moany Bastárds, Get them everywhere

21/25

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement