Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

150KTubs - future career in Virgin Radio and other soulful pursuits **Mod: Read OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,910 ✭✭✭thesandeman

Couldn't figure out why I got a notification for a thread I'd never heard of 🤔😃.

What time is his show again? Will he be up against Colm Ó Mongáin?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

And according to a recent article...

'He is also set to host an Irish-exclusive weekend show every Sunday from 10am to 12pm across Q102, 96FM in Cork, Live 95 in Limerick and LMFM.'

• Registered Users Posts: 32,993 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I won't be able to tune in for his opening week due to work, but will be intrigued to see how the show goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Callan stuck the absolute boot in last night but in a way that seemed nice 😂even finished with "a haaaaa"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

Callan's Tub's impression was phenomenal. The satire was close to the bone at times. You could tell he had Tub's number from day 1 and he was just delighted to finally get the chance to go in two footed on Ireland's most trusted man!

From the Indo article;

“There’s a lovely sense of a family vibe here, and a lot of fun, and I want to tap into that sense of excitement and adventure. So it’s the beginning of a beautiful odyssey,”

I wonder will he still be saying that when they dispense with his services in 6 to 12 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,296 ✭✭✭jmcc

Sort of a replacement for the Sunday Mass? They have Tubridy working six days a week (or will it be recorded earlier) or so now.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,394 ✭✭✭its_steve116

Galway and Waterford will miss out. Or be spared of him. Depending on what they think of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭chrisd2019

Interesting that tubs is now seen as entertainment, does this mean the parliamentary investigation and associated reports and holding to account have turned to dust as the year ends I wonder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭TheBMG

I would suspect the weekend show will be a pre-recorded ‘best of’ from during the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,249 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Good luck to Tubs and good riddance too. I won't be troubling his listening figures for sure. Will his faithful females follow him?

I often have Q102 on in the house, it's nice easy listening.

I won't be listening to Tubridy though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭hawley

The former Late Late Show host, who once earned €500,000 a year with RTÉ, is said by one well-placed source to be starting off on an annual pay packet ranging from £50,000 (€57,550) to £80,000 (€92,000) with Virgin.

Looking at those figures, he's probably on less than 80,000 euros per year. Considering that he's paying rent in London and for flights over and back, it means that he's earning very little. Hilarious when you think of how his agent threatened RTE for so many years.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭alzer100

If those figures are accurate, I think it could eventually make living in London quite challenging for him. I think he would have to pull off a super ultra broadcasting listenership heist to warrant Virgin Radio to increase his salary significantly. For Tubridy, this is where the Q102 simulcast may prove to be his lifejacket. Depending on listenership figures, at some point Virgin would have the option to either hold on to him and keep him in London and therefore increasing his salary, drop him or permit him to present his slot from Q102 allowing him to move back to Dublin. It is a possibility that in time Tubridy's show could end up being aired on Virgin Radio but fed from Q102 or a standalone show on Q102. Only time will tell.

This line from the article made me smile...'as while he has some profile, he’s not in the league of Graham (Norton)'

He certainly is not. 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 81,183 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

It will be interesting the advertising revenue that Q102 will bring in from the show, he should in theory be able to get similar listener numbers of his previous RTÉ Dublin audience from the off (given limited Q102 Dublin broadcast area).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

And Bakhurst was going to give him €170k for 5 hrs a week for likely his usual 40 weeks PA (going by prev reported contract of 205 x 1 hr shows) and they wonder why people think RTE is a basket case

Still, it'll make the next round of contract negotiations interesting...to put it mildly

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I think the demographic is too different for him to carry over ANY listeners

Listening to Anton Savage show this morning, one panelist thought Tubridy would aim to make a return to RTE in 1 to 2 years. That would be my thinking too. Even if the listener figures were to go up at Virgin (which I severely doubt), there's no way he will stay to do that amount of work in London for such a piddling salary, by his standards.

He just needed something, anything, to say he was employed and doing a radio show with his name on it. If he can bumble his way through even 12 months, he will he hoping that all will be forgotten in RTE and the chill winds will have eased enough for him to make a return. Even €100k pa from the state broadcaster for a very light workload and the chance to live in your own mansion flat in south Dublin sure beats the gig he's got now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

His numbers on Q102 will be minimal.

Newstalk and many more have spent millions on the "move the dial" phenomenon.

I'm amazed by the RTE1 show figures when they come out. For many people RTE Radio one IS the radio.

The vast majority of Tubs audience weren't tuning into Tubs. They were by default tuning into RTE radio 1's morning show. I think this is fair to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

Surely he has **** loads of savings so he could easily buy an apartment/house in UK if he really wanted to make a go of it over there.

Not that I give a toss about Ryan Tubridy or anything to do with him or his career but I doubt he's short of money that living in London would be a struggle for him.

His career on Radio1 since 2015 was a joke, little more than an extended continuity announcement. What was he doing, 40/45 minutes of live radio when you account for the ads. Wedged between the big hitters of Morning Ireland and Claire Byrne. For most committed RTE listeners, it wasn't worth their while changing station after the 9am news as Claire Byrne would be along with the main current affairs analysis show at 10.

That he was collecting over 200k for that slot and for what he was doing on it was practically theft imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭Tow

On face value he should have loads of money, but it appears he is broke and we are told he has a mortgage to pay.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

If I know Tubridy like I think I do, there isn't a snowballs chance in hell he'd fork out his own cash money for a flat in a nice part of London. Ryan is more a man for staying at the Dorchester and trying to bill it to his employer as an expense!

Or lease a flash pad then sublet it for a bit more than the lease

I wouldn’t believe a single word of that article. 50-80k is what a Dublin local station pays for a similar time slot.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭Tow

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

He’s not, but he’s still earning more than a local Dublin music jock. He’s also national across the UK. I wouldn’t pay much attention to what that jooble site says; media jobs and income are notoriously difficult to track.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭alzer100

Alright TheBMG? It's been a while BTW 😊

I would also be questioning the accuracy of his starting salary with respect to some publications. My take on this, because Virgin are taking the risk and Ryan Tubridy is not a household name in the UK, I would guess 70-80K sterling. Even though the radio station is music formatted, the presenter and their ability to attract and maintain listenership through breakfast/morning drive and mid-mornings is very important to Virgin who are currently trying to increase their market share, unlike RTE Radio 1 where the emphasis seems to be the 'slot'. There will be expectations and I believe they will quite quickly put him onto evenings (on a reduced salary) or have him on Q102 only or part ways with him fully if he doesn't meet them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement