Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Recruitment 2023/2024

Options
  • 26-04-2023 1:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi all, general thread for the current recruitment campaign.

Best of luck everyone!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26 jcoyne22

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Alana123

Hey!! Has anyone got an email about stage 1 yet? 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Grace259

No email yet, hopefully the process will start soon!

Hopefully they release the practice material as it mentions in the hand book at least we can focus on certain material then. Not looking forward to the numerical reasoning part from last years comments it was difficult. When there is not a second stage of testing, straight to the interviews its good on one side but what will the test be like. Hopefully not to difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 crackers_n_cheese

Roadmap from the info booklet, with May starting next week we should be hearing something quite soon.

• Advertisement

I would definitely recommend using prep courses for stage 1.

I’m using both Gardaip & career service for stage 1. I’d recommend both of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Keevs23

Does anyone know if the final stage of Templemore has changed or not.. is it still 11 weeks in Templemore 8 weeks in station 2 weeks online and further 11 weeks back in Templemore?

Hey everyone! Just got a message with May dates. 😊

Starting the 9th is sooner than expected, practice material looks good, seems to be moving quite quickly so far.

Did anyone see any information about using physical calculators for the numerical part of the assessment??

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 25 KaWinNee

When I did it last year you were not allowed a calculator and had to use the calculator on you laptop/PC. My garda.ie tutor stressed I practiced using it that many don't and get confused in the heat of the moment.

Although what you screenshotted does say a calculator so maybe its changed. Might be worth asking

I'd prefer to use the windows calculator myself as I find it much quicker using my keyboard's number pad than a physical calculator, and the memory function is much more intuitive than most calculators. Hopefully it's still allowed as the info pack says the only window you can have open is your browser.

There doesn’t seem to be any time limit for any of the assessments? That will help me a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 roisinoharaa

I did it last year and there was no time limit but you were TIMED so the time it took you would affect your OOM🙈

• Registered Users Posts: 26 roisinoharaa

^^

Assessments starting tomorrow, how's everyone set? 😬

Ya, it mentions in the PAS message close of business today should receive a link to the assessments. I'm not one bit looking forward to it. If the Numerical Reasoning test are like the practice test would be good. But it's hard to know

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Ciano1997

Stage 1 assessment now live ! Very best of luck to all 🙌 hopefully 3rd time lucky

• Registered Users Posts: 32 puntcuncher

The thought of sitting this exam makes me physically ill. I have a Law Degree, I'm just so bad with numbers and if anything is going to be my downfall it will be that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 puntcuncher

If anybody has the stones to do it, please let us know how you got on and what to expect, because this thing is keeping me up at night.

Any feedback on these assessments?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Cloud7901

Just did it there! The Questionnaire and the verbal were completely fine , did those in the expected time to finish , but the maths 😵‍💫 genuinely took me an hour and a half , it’s maths that doesn’t look hard but can get tough , apparently it’s meant to take you 15/20 to complete and I’d be shocked if anyone completed it within 20 mins if they cared about getting the right answers

Oh not what I wanted to hear was it mostly percentage questions and graphs.

It could just be me being excruciatingly average at maths but almost all the questions are table and graph based , some questions could have used better wording imo. You’ll probably end up with the right answer eventually but you’ll be spending most of the time brain storming the workings of each question. Which is why the 15 mins expected time is absolute nonsense, that’s a minute per question

Had you been doing any of the Career services or Gardaip material?

Would that have helped me with the maths ?

I would rather have the correct answers than worrying about the time aspect. How long did the other parts take you? Sitting mine tonight…. Would you recommend anything?

The other parts were grand , the Questionnaire should definitely be in and around 45 minutes like they said , no difficult questions , the first section is basically just you describing your self and basically giving yourself a profile , the second section they give you a bunch of scenarios and then options and you grade them from Good option to neutral to bad option. So that was grand like

the verbal reasoning took me a good 15 minutes maybe a bit less , in that section I’d recommend reading the text passage they give you properly like at least read it twice before answering the question and you should be grand there too

• Advertisement

hopefully everyone does well! At the same time I can’t wait to get them done with and get results back hopefully we won’t be waiting overally long on results either 🤦‍♀️

Advertisement