Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tullamore Thread

Options
  • 10-05-2017 10:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭

Hi All, thought I would copy the idea from other counties and create a Tullamore specific page here.

Basically a thread for all bits and bobs and rumors in regards to Tullamore.

I'll start, so good to see Charlie Flanagan has bought the old Coens site near the old Dunnes, will be interesting so see how he plans to develop it

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭DANNY2014

Would be great to see something in the old Texas area... It kinda takes from the town (looks horribly derelict) and it was once the booming go to area... Heard of someone recently that it's meant to be full of rats...

That coens area I heard talks about retail space in it... (We have enough empty retail spaces)

Town could do with something to attract parents and kids from other midland towns and counties such as indoor/outdoor go karting, games arena, paintball shooting or something like jumping jacks on a bigger scale...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭bennyineire

DANNY2014 wrote: »
    Would be great to see something in the old Texas area... It kinda takes from the town (looks horribly derelict) and it was once the booming go to area... Heard of someone recently that it's meant to be full of rats...

That coens area I heard talks about retail space in it... (We have enough empty retail spaces)

Town could do with something to attract parents and kids from other midland towns and counties such as indoor/outdoor go karting, games arena, paintball shooting or something like jumping jacks on a bigger scale...

Heard a rumor that the Texas site will be developed next year, the current owners are developing another site and when that's finished they will be working on that site, the revised plan from a few years back is still valid

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Earendil

Lads,
    sorry if this is not in the intended spirit of the thread, but I'm looking to see if some Tullamorites can point me in the right direction.

I'm in the Bridge House Hotel on the 4th of June and bringing my family to the Kilbeggan races. Done it last year and had a great day.
    Taxis to and from Kilbeggan are a bit pricey (€25 per trip) and with the hotel, races, food and drink for 4 of us...it's already an expensive day.
    Does anyone know of mini-buses/shuttles that do a return trip from Tullamore to the races that we can pay our way on?

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭DANNY2014

Afaik some of the pubs do a bus over to the races if your having a few drinks and grub there beforehand... try call them and find out... Sorry if this is not the case anymore...

Copperpot usually run a mini bus, if and when I hear of anymore doing so I'll let you know but the Copperpot have done it every year for the last 5 or 6 years

• Advertisement

Copperpot usually run a mini bus, if and when I hear of anymore doing so I'll let you know but the Copperpot have done it every year for the last 5 or 6 years

Thanks bennyineire.

The Copper Pot (what a boozer!) definitely do it for Midlands National night. I went last year with them and had a brilliant night...just me and the missus, no kids on that one :D
    Rang barman/manger Michael there beforehand and asked him could I pay to go on the bus and he laughed at me and said just show up on the evening, have a drink here and your in!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Heard a rumor that the Texas site will be developed next year, the current owners are developing another site and when that's finished they will be working on that site, the revised plan from a few years back is still valid

They only have until end of October 2019 to practically complete it so would want to get on with it!!!

charlieIRL wrote: »
    They only have until end of October 2019 to practically complete it so would want to get on with it!!!

If they give a clear intention to the Co.Co. (i.e. give a commencement notice) the Co.Co. can extend the P.P. and I suspect they will most certainly will)

Incidentally does anybody know what the traffic MGMT plan will be for that site, The Tanyard Land/Wolftrap is not included in the revised plan so access from there is a none runner

If they give a clear intention to the Co.Co. (i.e. give a commencement notice) the Co.Co. can extend the P.P. and I suspect they will most certainly will)

Incidentally does anybody know what the traffic MGMT plan will be for that site, The Tanyard Land/Wolftrap is not included in the revised plan so access from there is a none runner

Even if the commencement notice is submitted it will have to be practically complete by 2019. Original planning from 2008 was already extended so its a new application if this one runs out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I wouldn't be surprised if that Texas areas crawling with rats. You've Texas old Tesco and debruns all there falling asunder. Junkies in around the area and just a general unpleasant vibe. I used to park in there but never felt safe even during the day. Was sitting in my car there one evening before Xmas getting ready to go down to boots when some young fella tried open the door of my car, thankfully it was locked. He gestured to let down the window and I wouldn't then he shouted in did I have a lighter? Cut the heart out of me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Beaulieu

Does anyone know what's happening with all the work on the bypass roundabouts?

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭240 Robert

Heard that it is for the lorrys bringing towers for more wind turbines in cloghan, open to correction.

240 Robert wrote: »
    Heard that it is for the lorrys bringing towers for more wind turbines in cloghan, open to correction.

they had to do the same before for the ones going to Mount Lucas.

Any word on when Heatons/Sportsworld is reopening ?

This week as far as i know, staff from Roscommon are over helping out.

Opened yesterday, will pop in today to check it out

I see the Paddy Fields building all painted up today and something is going on in BK2, hopefully something opening in both soon.

Earendil wrote: »
    Lads,
    sorry if this is not in the intended spirit of the thread, but I'm looking to see if some Tullamorites can point me in the right direction.

I'm in the Bridge House Hotel on the 4th of June and bringing my family to the Kilbeggan races. Done it last year and had a great day.
    Taxis to and from Kilbeggan are a bit pricey (€25 per trip) and with the hotel, races, food and drink for 4 of us...it's already an expensive day.
    Does anyone know of mini-buses/shuttles that do a return trip from Tullamore to the races that we can pay our way on?

Cheers.

Just giving this a bump in case anyone is aware of any mini buses heading out from Tullamore...we are down there Sunday.

Thanks folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Ray Donovan

I see the Paddy Fields building all painted up today and something is going on in BK2, hopefully something opening in both soon.

The Asian Street Food chain Lana are opening in town so I'm presuming they will go into the Paddy Field.

Pan-Thai might aswell pack up now because Lana is top notch. And very reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Buckfast W

Howdy Doody just though I'd ask in this thread where I can get a really good pint of Guinness in Tullamore this weekend, I'll be down Sunday and Monday staying in the Bridgehouse.

• Advertisement

The Brewery tap is just beside the Bridge house, The Old Harbour Bar, Spollens, Eugene Kelly's. to name a few

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

Buckfast W wrote: »
    Howdy Doody just though I'd ask in this thread where I can get a really good pint of Guinness in Tullamore this weekend, I'll be down Sunday and Monday staying in the Bridgehouse.

Old harbour bar hands down best pint in town

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Buckfast W

The Brewery tap is just beside the Bridge house, The Old Harbour Bar, Spollens, Eugene Kelly's. to name a few
    akelly02 wrote: »
    Old harbour bar hands down best pint in town

Cheers for the suggestions I'll defo give them a shot :)

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Egan2012

Beaulieu wrote: »
    Does anyone know what's happening with all the work on the bypass roundabouts?

The last time they dug up the roundabouts like that they were bringing in the wind turbines on the attics. They had to put a road through the round about for the lorry's to make a swing

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Egan2012

240 Robert wrote: »

As far as I know that's what they are for. That's what they doneven the last time when they were bringing them to daingan

Sad to see the Copper Pot closing, was always a nice place to go at lunchtime. Hopefully they get up and running again soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭medoc

Sad to see the Copper Pot closing, was always a nice place to go at lunchtime. Hopefully they get up and running again soon.

The bank is selling the premises, the pub we're looking to stay on renting. Hopefully the building is sold soon and the new owner wants to let the place on favourable terms. If it's left idle too long then it'll become run down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I'm devastated where am I gonna get 4 vodkas for a tenner on a Sunday afternoon now

medoc wrote: »
    The bank is selling the premises, the pub we're looking to stay on renting. Hopefully the building is sold soon and the new owner wants to let the place on favourable terms. If it's left idle too long then it'll become run down.

I heard that on the radio alright, pity. Banks must have some plan if they didn't want to keep a current tenant going?

Wonder who owns / owned the building?

• Advertisement

I heard that on the radio alright, pity. Banks must have some plan if they didn't want to keep a current tenant going?

Wonder who owns / owned the building?

Eh yeah their plan is to sell it, it would be easier to sell if there is no tenant attached to the building

Advertisement