Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Everesting Ticknock - July 2017

Options
  • 27-03-2017 2:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭

So I have decided to come out of the closet with my attempt at Everesting.

The climb (accepted by the hells500 guys ): https://www.strava.com/segments/14420672
    34 repeats without sleep, just under 200km and a tad over 8848m elevation. 10.000 calories and a pair or two of spare brake pads to burn off.

The exact day will be announced at later stage, it will be most likely Friday to avoid the human traffic which can get quite heavy on a sunny weekend, and to give myself two days of total rest after the ride. It has to be a dry one too, as descending 10% hill in the wet at the edge of exhaustion can end badly.

Biggest challenges:

1. Head. How to survive 16h doing the same climb?
    2. Food. How to consume 10000kcal while climbing without throwing your guts out?
    3. Body. How to pace myself?

After a few trial runs (4-5 reps) I settled on 34/34 gearing. I can do it easily on 38/32 with the heart rate not exceeding 150 (185 max), but I will need easier gears later in the day. I'm a natural spinner, and also I don't want to overload the muscles, as cramps nearly finished my ride by the end of Evil 200 in 2015.

The target heart rate for climbing is 150, average 120-130. I know I can go for hours and hours if I don't exceed that.

Planned training:
    April: 2x 1500m a week, plus one or two 150km / 4000m rides
    May: 2x2000m a week, one 150km / 4000m ride, Mick Byrne with Kippure thrown in (200km / approx 4000m)
    June: 1x2000m + 1x3000m a week + Evil 200 + one 150km / 4000m ride
    July: continued, than a week of rest, and boom.

Also, I will need some moral support on the day. I'd be very happy if some of you could join me for a couple of reps, especially in the afternoon, to talk my ears off, get sworn on, or keep silent if I ask to and just cycle along - in one word endure the dubious company of a mad man. I'm generally a nice guy but I don't know where an effort like that can take me ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

brilliant!

i've long thought about doing this but have never committed for various reasons! mainly laziness / self doubt. fair play to you, will keep an eye on this thread and will definitely try to knock out at some point during the day to cheer you on!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I could join on one of the last reps as it's the only way I'd keep pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Rogue-Trooper

Good man Alek - you're some man for one man!!

Best of luck with it! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

I think that my average speed uphill will be between 7 and 9kph for the day, if you wonder :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,320 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Good man Alek. I knew there had to be some reason for all those repeats on Ticknock and Kilmashogue. Hope it goes well for you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭irishrover99

I can give you probably 9 hours of the day all going well. If i get the day off work and fitness is fine of course but work shouldn't be an issue as long as two people aren't off from my office and its not the 29th of July which will be our month end. Of course more than likely ill have to be back home by 5 to let her go to work.

Ill bring the car and stock it with supplies as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Sarz91

I looked at doing this last year up Ticknock from the barrier to the mast. Did a trial run a few times of about 10-15 reps. Each time I was having to dodge dogs and or clip out as people didn't particularly want to make any sort of room. I was in no way descending fast or in anyway aggressive but I thought it best to leave it as on the day I felt this might either cause me to quit or start getting aggressive or even worse case an accident.

I had thought about making posters and just positioning them around but felt it might be seen as heavy handed as it is shared access. If you're up for doing it I'll head along no bother to help out in anyway I can but just thought I would share.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭daragh_

No better man. If I'm around I'll come and do a few repeats with you.

Thanks a lot iRover! We'll talk about it later :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭py

Have also done some research (with no intention just yet) as to what's involved. Any reason you've gone for this particular segment? It looks like some of it is off road, is that right? I'm not an off road cyclist but for me, I'd be a little wary of off road surface down the stretch when you're that bit more fatigued. If/when (in my dreams) I was going to tackle it, I was looking at this segment up Stocking Lane: https://www.strava.com/segments/2472552 though the pedestrian lights would perhaps make me shift it further up the road to start at Boards TT starting point to the top of the featherbeds. (I'll see if I can find a segment that matches)

Best of luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

You know the way I said over on the Boardsie Hillclimb thread that you need psychiatric help? You've just proven it.

I think that you are a danger to yourself, and am in awe of your awesomeness. I'll hopefully be there to cheer you on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Alek wrote: »
    I think that my average speed uphill will be between 7 and 9kph for the day, if you wonder :)

Having cycled the last few reps of a guy doing one, slow the fcuk down early on. He was a really strong rider but was shook enough late on.

On food you could take a short deliberate stop at top every 3 ascents or so? It'll give the body sometime to digest before climbing again.

Best of luck

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,376 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I can give you probably 9 hours of the day all going well.
    you'll need sunscreen.

a868aa5ee803eef1292e82c7c9a7f7ef.jpg

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

Will join you for a few reps, maybe half if I have the legs!

Did a trial run a few times of about 10-15 reps. Each time I was having to dodge dogs and or clip out as people didn't particularly want to make any sort of room. I was in no way descending fast or in anyway aggressive but I thought it best to leave it as on the day I felt this might either cause me to quit or start getting aggressive or even worse case an accident.

I had thought about making posters and just positioning them around but felt it might be seen as heavy handed as it is shared access. If you're up for doing it I'll head along no bother to help out in anyway I can but just thought I would share.

I was thinking about it. So far I an only able to practice in the early morning so not too many people were walking, and I don't even know how busy it can get on a weekday? I have calculated the downhill avg to be 30-33kph, so I don't mind slowing down to pass walkers / other riders, but you are right - it may get on my nerve as the day goes on.

Its not the worst idea with the posters, with a polite reminder to give way to a descending cyclist if possible. Do you think if Coillte would mind if I tidy up the place afterwards?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,376 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i see the QOM on that segment is a boardsie too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭mcgratheoin

py wrote: »
    Have also done some research (with no intention just yet) as to what's involved. Any reason you've gone for this particular segment? It looks like some of it is off road, is that right? I'm not an off road cyclist but for me, I'd be a little wary of off road surface down the stretch when you're that bit more fatigued. If/when (in my dreams) I was going to tackle it, I was looking at this segment up Stocking Lane: https://www.strava.com/segments/2472552 though the pedestrian lights would perhaps make me shift it further up the road to start at Boards TT starting point to the top of the featherbeds. (I'll see if I can find a segment that matches)

Best of luck!

It's a bit longer though - I'd have thought Kilmashogue would be the best - very little traffic or people and it's paved all the way up.

https://www.strava.com/segments/631099

That final ramp on kilmashogue would be absolutely torture/impossible with 12 hours + in the legs

py wrote: »
    It looks like some of it is off road, is that right?

Only last 50 metres, virtually flat. The rest is paved road.

I don't want the gradient to be too flat, as I am better climber than a long distance cyclist. Everesting Stocking Lane would need over 300km in the road length alone...
    On food you could take a short deliberate stop at top every 3 ascents or so? It'll give the body sometime to digest before climbing again.

I was thinking of stopping every hour (almost exactly 3 reps) for 5 minutes to eat, as eating on the ascent is hard (breathing rhythm) and on the downhill dangerous. I guess 70-80g slow release carbs or carbs + fat should do ? (peanut butter sandwiches, salted peanuts, oat cakes and so on).

It's a bit longer though - I'd have thought Kilmashogue would be the best

As colm18 says - I've tried Kilmashogue 5x recently and the sheer gradient of the final ramp shattered my legs, no matter how slow I was trying to go.

• Advertisement

Everesting calculator for anyone interested: https://everesting.io/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

I don't want the gradient to be too flat, as I am better climber than a long distance cyclist. Everesting Stocking Lane would need over 300km in the road length alone...

I was thinking of stopping every hour (almost exactly 3 reps) for 5 minutes to eat, as eating on the ascent is hard (breathing rhythm) and on the downhill dangerous. I guess 70-80g slow release carbs or carbs + fat should do ? (peanut butter sandwiches, salted peanuts, oat cakes and so on).

You'll be grand, you know what works for you.

Be strict with pace when some fresh fcuker turns up dancing on the pedals doing two reps!

If you pace it I'd expect you'd be in good shape at end

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Sarz91

I was thinking about it. So far I an only able to practice in the early morning so not too many people were walking, and I don't even know how busy it can get on a weekday? I have calculated the downhill avg to be 30-33kph, so I don't mind slowing down to pass walkers / other riders, but you are right - it may get on my nerve as the day goes on.

Its not the worst idea with the posters, with a polite reminder to give way to a descending cyclist if possible. Do you think if Coillte would mind if I tidy up the place afterwards?

The segment you have is one way up and a slightly different descent down unless I'm mistaken. This may require you to go against traffic as the everesting rules state it must be the same ascent and descent. Did you mention to the hell's 500 guys that the descent is slightly different as it's more or less a one way down through the carpark?

Other positives about ticknock is that it's free of (car) traffic for half of the climb and the biking.ie shop is there for coffee/bars/emergency repairs

Cool, was interested to see your reasoning. I'd be a better long distance cyclist compared to a climber. Though when you think about it... that 300Km... half of it is downhill.

I agree on kilmashogue, the 20%+ near the top would be too much.

Would gladly get on the day for some support.

I read that in case of one way streets they accept slight deviation from this rule. Still I plan to go against the traffic there - there should be very little cars, and I feel it's still safer than the official descend route with shoity surface and two or three blind bends...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Explains the 5 reps! I'll be there
    On the day if I'm not on holidays so if you need logistics help let me know

Explains the 5 reps!

When I read this, I have serious doubts now! There is an ocean between 5 and 34 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

Fair play Alek someone planted a seed some time back for Everesting in my head....
    I'll keep an eye and see if i can offer any assistance closer to the time.
    I was looking at Largah turn up Wicklow gap up to the top of the reservoir,
    Less reps for one, easier gradient me thinks but not scientifically proven and no walkers or dogs...
    Training wise i have only got as far as climb, climb climb....

• Advertisement

Largah turn up Wicklow gap up to the top of the reservoir,

It was my original idea to be honest! But much harder for me to do and train for logistically, as I don't have a car. Also, bit too flat for my liking, approx. 300km distance-wise.

Advertisement