Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Amazon Echo FAQ

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,554 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

I get "To play Spotify first link your premium account in the Alexa app"
    I made Spotify my default player.

EDIT:Dunno what was wrong but its working now.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭loughrey2887

I made a quick video of it working here in Ireland but this silly forum won't let me post the Youtube url.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭BobbyT28

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭loughrey2887

The quote option doesn't seem to work for me on Boards anymore for some reason. But in order to move from the US Amazon.com to Amazon UK make sure you update to the latest app as only the updated app will work on Amazon UK. Also, you need to go into the 'devices and content' in account settings on the amazon.co.uk website and make sure the location is set to the UK. If it's set to the US you won't be able to connect to the UK on the app.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭NakedDex

Anyone else having trouble inputting a location? It keeps refusing any change I make, popping up "Could not set your address. Please ensure you have correctly entered a complete address.", despite the address being correct, and having entered a dozen variations on it. It makes the alarm/clock unusable, along with anything associated to time or it's location.
    Could not set your address. Please ensure you have correctly entered a complete addressCould not set your address. Please ensure you hcccave correctly entered a complete addressCould not set your address. Please ensure you have correctly entered a complete addressCould not set your address. Please ensure you have correctly entered a complete addressC
    Could not set your address. Please ensure you have correctly entered a complete addressCould not set your address. Please ensure you have correctly entered a complete address

Yes I had that problem. In the end I just picked a well known area nearby and used that.

I did try that, with no success. I'm living in small town outside Limerick city, but even just trying "Limerick IE" - which was one of the auto-fill options when I typed it - was rejected.

Pick one of the main streets in Limerick city.

2 Patrick St. Limerick or similar and it should work. That's what I had to do.

Yeah literally just tried a few random city centre addresses like 1 O'Connell Street and 2 Patrick Street, but it's still refusing them. What did you put into the zip/postcode box?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,749 ✭✭✭degsie

Anybody else still waiting for their Echo from PM? Mine has been sitting in Dublin depot since Wed :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

degsie wrote: »
    Anybody else still waiting for their Echo from PM? Mine has been sitting in Dublin depot since Wed :(

No, got mine yesterday a couple of hours after check in.

BTW it seems I can play spotify on my echo from the Alexa app here in work. Would it be really bad of me to throw on some Guy Clark when our child-minder is back in the house later on? :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭reni10

yabadabado wrote: »
    Pick one of the main streets in Limerick city.

2 Patrick St. Limerick or similar and it should work. That's what I had to do.

I cannot get it to accept my address either!

So what did you fill into the first and second boxes to make it work?

reni10 wrote: »
    I cannot get it to accept my address either!

So what did you fill into the first and second boxes to make it work?

I put my full address in the first box and then N/A in the second box.

BobbyT28

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

degsie wrote: »

yeah still waiting :(

Yeah the N/A thing seems to kill any chance I have of saving an address. As soon as I type it in, all the autofill options stop.

Frustratingly, when I type in my address it does come up as an autofill option (minus the village name), but selecting it gives me the same error message.

• Advertisement

BobbyT28 wrote: »
    I put my full address in the first box and then N/A in the second box.

BobbyT28

That's what I did and it worked.

Out of curiosity, are you in the Dublin area? I found that I can type in an address in Dublin (1 O'Connell Street, for example) and it'll accept and save that fine. Nothing for my actual area will work though. It screws up the weather, local radio, and traffic abilities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

Its a bit crap that they launched this in the uk without support for ifttt, a lot of people upset about it

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭johnniekipper

Got mine with the £50 off and set it up yesterday. I had been waiting for it to be available in UK. Delighted with is so far , think the family we really see the benefit going forward. The issues I have so far are ;

Have set the location to Dublin but still "What is tomorrows weather like" doesnt work , have to add "in Dublin Ireland" at the end which I dont want to do every time (1st world problems).

Have set Spotify as default music player but still need to add "in Spotify" at the end or it plays from Prime Music.

No luck with tuneIn so far , have tried "Play radio station RTE 2FM on TuneIn", Newstalk, etc, cant find it.

Also I cant find some of the skills I read about - Jeopardy, fitbit, etc.

Any tips ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,985 ✭✭✭paulbok

jobless wrote: »
    Its a bit crap that they launched this in the uk without support for ifttt, a lot of people upset about it

I'd say it was rushed to market ahead of Googles launch (well news of) of a competing device on October 4th, hence the lack of support for IFTTT and God knows what else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭AidenL

I got one of these yesterday, but can't download the app as its only for UK or US iTunes accounts.

How are you guys using it in Ireland off the irish iTunes store?

Go to alexa.amazon.co.uk on your browser (works better on the pc, but you can do it on your phone if you choose the "request full site" option, or whatever it's called that takes you out of the mobile optimised pages. It's essentially the app, in browser form.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Jonnie_Onion

Hi all,

Great thread, made my mind up to get an Echo and it arrived last night. Very impressed with what I was able to do in 20 minutes without any workarounds.

Quick question, I see a couple of people mentioning that they have access to Prime Music - how have you managed this? I have a UK prime membership and Alexa/the app indicates that I still need to sign up. If I go to my prime, it says I am signed up and then its just an endless cycle.

I know that the T&C's say you need a UK credit card or bank account - but is there a way around this?

Thanks!

Got mine with the £50 off and set it up yesterday. I had been waiting for it to be available in UK. Delighted with is so far , think the family we really see the benefit going forward. The issues I have so far are ;

Have set the location to Dublin but still "What is tomorrows weather like" doesnt work , have to add "in Dublin Ireland" at the end which I dont want to do every time (1st world problems).

Have set Spotify as default music player but still need to add "in Spotify" at the end or it plays from Prime Music.

No luck with tuneIn so far , have tried "Play radio station RTE 2FM on TuneIn", Newstalk, etc, cant find it.

Also I cant find some of the skills I read about - Jeopardy, fitbit, etc.

Any tips ?

Yeah I have found the Tunein part really annoying. Wanted to listen to Newstalk and it kept giving me a station in UK! Really annoying. End up play it through the Alexa app which for me defeats the purpose!!

BobbyT28

• Registered Users Posts: 13 ajd1969

Mine arrived yesterday via PM. Have it set up and impressed so far - here's a summary..
    On original setup in the App I chose Alexa UK - but the App suuggested that I should instead select Alexa US because my Amazon account was 'linked to Amazon US'. Suggested that choosing Alexa UK would cause problems with language / understanding.....I chose Alexa UK anyway but I might try Alexa US in the future (unless doing so will delete all my existing settings / skills etc. - doesn anybody know?)
    Accepted a Dublin address but like poster above, it (she?) doesn't recognise the location when I ask 'What's the weather like' (responds that it can't get weather for that location) - whereas 'What's the weather in Dublin' works fine.
    Time is one hour off for some inexplicable reason.
    Spotify working very well - haven't tried asking for a song yet without specifying Spotify - will try this later.
    Prime Music doesn't work (system responds that I need to have a Prime account - which I do....) - I think this is probably because of IP Geofencing rather then any issue with the Echo itself - i.e. Prime Music doesn't work on my other devices.
    Audible works perfectly.
    Connected to my Hue bridge and found all lights without any problem except that it doesn't seem to recognise scenes / rooms already set up in Hue App - only individual lights. There is a facility in the Alexa App to group light together (i.e. to facilitate 'Turn off the kitchen lights etc.). I will keep experimenting with setting scenes etc.....is it just me or doesn't everybody want to be able to be able to say "Alexa - Set Condition Red"...:-)
    Connected no problem to my Evohome Total Comfort Connect - giving individual control over the heating in each room via Alexa - which is awesome! However it doesn't recognise the Hot Water as a room / zone - which is a bummer because the one thing the missus wanted was to be able to say "Alexa, boost the hot water". Looks like the IFTT route suggested above won't work until / unless IFTT support is added here. I am going to email Honeywell support on this.
    Random results with TuneIn - it has found RTE Radio 1 and played it at least once, but on other occasions either has great difficulty understanding the station name and on other occasions has found it (verified in the App) but no sound plays.
    Accepted Uber login details so I should be able to order an Uber car (will try over the weekend). A tip on this - when you set up Uber with Alexa, the default pickup location (for orders placed using Alexa) is the location of the Echo device (i.e. the location of the Echo as specified in the Alexa App). However, after setup you can (if necessary for accuracy) ask Alexa to "Ask Uber to change my default pickup location" - and you will then be prompted to select from your Home or Work pickup location as specified in the Uber App itself.
    Apart from trouble with 'RTE Radio' (maybe I need to try a British accept) Alexa generally understands everything I say.

Now if only she had the LCARS voice......!
    See engadget.com/2016/09/06/star-treks-iconic-computer-voice-may-live-on-in-your-phone/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,861 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Has anyone tried setting an alarm and requesting that a radio station is played as the alarm?

I currently have a radio alarm clock that gives me RTE in the morning, but plan on replacing it with the Echo.

Just realised that I have a music account that's associated with my Amazon US account, which is a new one on me. I forsee pain

mrcheez wrote: »
    Has anyone tried setting an alarm and requesting that a radio station is played as the alarm?

I currently have a radio alarm clock that gives me RTE in the morning, but plan on replacing it with the Echo.

Actually here's a nice hack if this is not available natively yet...

http://lovemyecho.com/2015/11/13/echo-lifehack-how-to-turn-your-echo-into-a-clock-radio/

Just realised that I have a music account that's associated with my Amazon US account, which is a new one on me. I forsee pain

Yes, same here. Found it impossible to xfer to uk without a uk payment card. Online chat with amazon us/uk did not help.

I'm thinking of setting up a fresh Amazon account and transferring it across - if I can get a refund on Prime. Had the same experience with chat, except they suggested trying a fake (!) card number.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Dr. Dre

That's annoying to read that there are so many integration issues, kinda glad I lazily hadn't moved to my UK account now.

So I managed to get the address in Dublin to save, but I'm still getting totally the wrong time (it currently thinks it's around 8 hours behind). Shouldn't the time sync up with the zone based on the address? Or am I missing a really basic option in the menu to change the time zone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

NakedDex wrote: »
    So I managed to get the address in Dublin to save, but I'm still getting totally the wrong time (it currently thinks it's around 8 hours behind). Shouldn't the time sync up with the zone based on the address? Or am I missing a really basic option in the menu to change the time zone?

mine had the right time out of the box. I presumed they were set to gmt.

my first impressions of the echo are similar to other posters here, good but i'm not blown away.

i use a logitech squeeze boom for a radio and was hoping the echo would replace it but flicking through stations on tunein would drive you demented and the difference in sound quality is phenomenal. The echo is really a dot with a €60 speaker attached, and its very good for a cheap speaker but a massive downgrade compared to the boom.

I wish. I cannot for the life of me get it to change.

donegal. wrote: »

my first impressions of the echo are similar to other posters here, good but i'm not blown away.

People have to remember that it only after being released to the UK market. Hopefully with time the intergration will improve and that IFTTT etc will be supported.

I myself have been a little underwhelmed but that maybe because I am still waiting to get my Hue setup and Harmony hub. I also am only getting into the whole automated / Smarthome thing.

The one thing that is buggying me is, they way it does not reconise any and I mean any IRish radio stations at all.

And again this evening traffic was "Unavailable"! even though it worked earlier that morning.

BobbyT28

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Patww79 wrote: »

Nope! Which is so fustrating!! Considering all the datacentres they have here!!:P

We're only a small fish in a big pond!!

People have to remember that it only after being released to the UK market. Hopefully with time the intergration will improve and that IFTTT etc will be supported.

I myself have been a little underwhelmed but that maybe because I am still waiting to get my Hue setup and Harmony hub. I also am only getting into the whole automated / Smarthome thing.

The one thing that is buggying me is, they way it does not reconise any and I mean any IRish radio stations at all.

And again this evening traffic was "Unavailable"! even though it worked earlier that morning.

BobbyT28

Im getting it to recognise Today FM regularly.

Nope! Which is so fustrating!! Considering all the datacentres they have here!!:P

We're only a small fish in a big pond!!

Same with Microsoft Cortana, Irish need not apply! Hopefully Google Home will be useful here, lets wait and see.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Registered Users Posts: 18 wrongtarget

So has anyone been able to make "How's the weather like?" work without specifying Dublin? (if the location is set to somewhere in Dublin of course)

AidenL wrote: »
    Im getting it to recognise Today FM regularly.

I've tried

2FM
    NEwstalk
    RTE Radio1

Must be my thick Dublin accent!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭tonylee

BobbyT28

I'm getting it to recognise all radio stations . I think adding the phrase "on TuneIn" helps. For example. "Play RTÉ radio 1 on TuneIn". Can't get weather to work at all even though I've set up and saved my location in Dublin in Alexa app. Also can't find a way to change from audible UK store to US . I use both Amazon stores but my audible account is still on US store.

tonylee wrote: »
    I'm getting it to recognise all radio stations . I think adding the phrase "on TuneIn" helps. For example. "Play RTÉ radio 1 on TuneIn". Can't get weather to work at all even though I've set up and saved my location in Dublin in Alexa app. Also can't find a way to change from audible UK store to US . I use both Amazon stores but my audible account is still on US store.

Thats how I am saying it.

Alexa - "Play RTE radio1 on Tunein"

donegal. wrote: »
    itech squeeze boom for a radio and was hoping the echo would replace it but flicking through stations on tunein would drive you demented and the difference in sound quality is phenomenal. The echo is really a dot with a €60 speaker attached, and its very good for a cheap speaker but a massive downgrade compared to the boom.

is main complaint about speaker the lack of bass or overall balance? How does it compare to an Anker Soundcore for example?

• Advertisement

mrcheez wrote: »
    is main complaint about speaker the lack of bass or overall balance? How does it compare to an Anker Soundcore for example?

Can't compare it to anything TBH. But I have to say i'm really impressed by it.

I've tried

2FM
    NEwstalk
    RTE Radio1

Must be my thick Dublin accent!!!

I couldn't get any of those three either, but Today FM worked a dream.

Donegal here, so another extreme !

Some funny posts on reddit about Alexa randomly chatting or even quoting Kanye without being prompted

https://www.reddit.com/r/amazonecho/comments/551bzr/alexa_told_me_a_kanye_quote_unprompted/

Ask "are you spying for the NSA?" and see if it goes quiet ;)

I'm thinking of setting up a fresh Amazon account and transferring it across - if I can get a refund on Prime. Had the same experience with chat, except they suggested trying a fake (!) card number.

So seriously what's the deal with getting Music on Prime? I've just set up a new account and got a Prime trial, but it looks like there's no way around needing a UK card. Can anyone help?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

mrcheez wrote:

Definitely not as good as my Cambridge Minx go.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement