Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***2015 LC English Paper 2 - Higher Level - The Aftermath***

Options
  • 04-06-2015 4:07pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭

For all discussion after HL English P2.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 WINGOLET

What poets came up?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Js1997

Just out of the exam now, definitely taught they were going to change it up a bit and give us a few shocks.
    Possibly in my opinion the most predictable Leaving Cert English exam in years,
    Othello - the weak role that desdemona and Emila played
    Comparative - both literary genre and theme or issue came up
    Poetry - Robert Frost, John Montague, E Ni C and Thomas Hardy came up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Scout123

What were the questions on Theme and Issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭lumosteph

That seems like such a nice paper!

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭GalwayGirl26

Delighted for ye lads! I don't think anybody can complain about that line up!
    I know some will be gutted about Iago not being the star of the Othello show, but the role of women is a decent question too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Peg14

Did Frost, Theme/ Issure [1] and the Emilia + Desdemona and the unseen poem was grand! So happy with that exam wow though te comparative was kinda weird but oh well its over!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Magnate

I really, really regret not learning the role of women, I had the essay printed and everything!

The rest of the paper was grand but I was forced do an othello question on how values played a significant part in the outcome of the play. It was messy. It definitely cost me a grade or two.

Oh well, we're finished english!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭BlueWolf16

Okay, so can anyone explain me the literary genre question?? Were you only supposed to do 1 technique, like Narration or Dialogue ? I mean jesus, I can waffle pretty good, but 5-6 pages about Dialogue on Three texts is something of a PhD waffling exam from Cambridge.

Ignored that "one" and had 6 pages in total, talked about Narrative Structure, Narration, Dialogue, Tension&Suspense and Imagery&Symbolism.. good or no?

Overall the exam was shockingly predictable, great questions, Frost Q was beautiful, Othello very predictable, Unseen fairly straighforward.. Though I named one Frost poem "The bend in the undergrowth" because I forgot what it was actually called, haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭TheSunderz

Taught that went very well did all my sons as our single text easy question, Eh theme and issue question was very approachable to anyone and montague was a little tricky but easy enough in the end very happy, hand is about to fall off though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭DarraghF197

Was a bit annoyed that the most predictable poets came up. Would have loved a Plath or Dickinson question to come up rather than Ni Chuilleanáin. Wanting to do something different sort of caught me out as the Hardy essay was not nice. It said that the bleak imagery overshadows the comforting reflections found in his work. I haven't studied a poem that was comforting from Hardy. So I had to manipulate my answer to disagree somehow and make it relevant.

The Othello essay was nice enough on the two central women. I had an essay prepared on them each so I was just picking my best overall points.

The comparative theme was really annoying. The question glosses over idealism and realism as the impression of the reader, whereas our three texts leave the reader with a pessimistic impression. Thought the question was poorly asked by the sec and didn't allow for all types of texts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 JungleJuice

I did the same, covered 5 techniques. Worried since might be marked only on best one and there mightn't be enough in it! What does anyone else think ?

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Bah_Humbug

So happy I prepared Desdemona and Emilia just last night, and had setting mastered for comparative :) My Montague essay was quite rushed but whatev. Much joy at the end of English - Can't wait to read books again without analysing them!

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭MmmPancakes

FROST!! My man :')

Comparative was also fine

Othello questions were shocking though, what is 'values' even supposed to mean? Couldn't have been more vague, thought the first question was a bit meh too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 frie

Yo, what did that first theme/issue question actually mean? I did theme of relationships...

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭eoin12345

Actually quite happy with this one!!! Didn't get the unseen poetry done well but felt the rest went better that paper 1!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭westernfrenzy

That was spectatularly sh*t.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 naoisebrennan

A lot of people in my school did the values in Othello question, but did Othello the person not the play unfortunately....

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭eoin12345

FROST!! My man :')

Comparative was also fine

Othello questions were shocking though, what is 'values' even supposed to mean? Couldn't have been more vague, thought the first question was a bit meh too.

I took values to mean values of characters and talked about deciet jealousy and greed... It was very misleading though, I first thought it was about Othello's values.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭irishlad12345

Yesterday doom and gloom today happy out thank f**k montague and them and issue came up :)

frie wrote: »
    Yo, what did that first theme/issue question actually mean? I did theme of relationships...

Yeah, I understand where you're coming from. Poor question from the SEC, I'd imagine it was hard to make relationships relevant. I had trouble with it too as my texts were neither idealistic nor realistic, but pessimistic.

Hopefully they'll account for that when marking to make it fair for people who couldn't do the question properly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 Chef Tony

Yeah there seemed to be some confusion over who it was about. I presumed that since it was it italics that it must be about the play in general.

Did the Desdemona and Emila Q. The Hardy question and Literary Genre question and did it about symbolism.

Thought the unseen poem was surprisingly do-able, but had a moment of confusion over whether the "crane" referred to the bird or the machine reconstructing. Waffled some rubbish about it creating a sense of mystery.

Overall very happy with it, lots of audible "Yes!"es when everyone turned to the poetry section at the start. No surprises at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Magnate

eoin12345 wrote: »
    I took values to mean values of characters and talked about deciet jealousy and greed... It was very misleading though, I first thought it was about Othello's values.

Oh that makes more sense actually, I kinda waffled about honesty and Othello's trusting nature, it was pretty bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 leavingcert15

If you said for values othello was too trustful and he had strong love for Desdemona would that be right?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 frie

Yeah, I understand where you're coming from. Poor question from the SEC, I'd imagine it was hard to make relationships relevant. I had trouble with it too as my texts were neither idealistic nor realistic, but pessimistic.

Hopefully they'll account for that when marking to make it fair for people who couldn't do the question properly.
    I just talked about how the relationships were realistic rather than idealistic...

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭IrishLoriii

Delighted with the Othello question it was literally perfect! I couldn't figure out the comparative question at all it really confused me in the exam and I ended up doing the q2 because I was just lost(theme or issue)! Montague was so beautiful it was the nicest question they could have asked !!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭Hashtag_HEEL

eoin12345 wrote: »

I discussed Elizabethan values of Racism/Religious Prejudice, women being viewed as possessions and open trust and how each of these values had an impact on the outcome of the play.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Jijsaw

I thought it was a nice paper, geography tomorrow yuck! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Scirpt

Is doing Imagery for The Kings Speech okay for Q2 Literary Genre? I spoke about the microphone dominating the picture with Bertie etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Kat97

I did the same, covered 5 techniques. Worried since might be marked only on best one and there mightn't be enough in it! What does anyone else think ?

Im worried too. I talked about how characterisation was common across all three texts and then said how symbolism/the ending/tension and suspense/setting showed it.

Have no idea if that was right or not :(

• Advertisement

Chef Tony wrote: »
    Yeah there seemed to be some confusion over who it was about. I presumed that since it was it italics that it must be about the play in general.

Did the Desdemona and Emila Q. The Hardy question and Literary Genre question and did it about symbolism.

Thought the unseen poem was surprisingly do-able, but had a moment of confusion over whether the "crane" referred to the bird or the machine reconstructing. Waffled some rubbish about it creating a sense of mystery.

Overall very happy with it, lots of audible "Yes!"es when everyone turned to the poetry section at the start. No surprises at all

How did you find Hardy? Did you cover any comforting poems or did you disagree? Was happy about the bleak imagery, but then to say it overshadowed the comforting reflections? I had to disagree with half of it and sort of said that the bleak imagery emphasised the pessimism in Hardy's poetry.

Advertisement