Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Woman asked to move from pre-booked seat calls Gardai

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Crunchienut

Hopefully she'll be prosecuted for wasting Garda time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

hopefully...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

is it just my phone or is the majority of that article quoting your man's tweets word for word followed by a picture of the quoted tweet?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

FunLover18 wrote: »
    is it just my phone or is the majority of that article quoting your man's tweets word for word followed by a picture of the quoted tweet?

not just your phone, high quality journalism

• Registered Users Posts: 17,550 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Unfortunately the lady in question's own tweets are not public, but she appeared to subsequently give out to Irish Rail about other twitter users tweeting about her behaviour!!

Bizarre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭BowWow

Wonder did she have a FTP?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Daft cow.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

WTF

• Registered Users Posts: 15,875 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I thought that pre booked seats should be taken up at least 20 minutes before departure?

If the man hadn't done that, well......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pigtown

I thought that pre booked seats should be taken up at least 20 minutes before departure?

Really? Then what's the point of booking them if you have to be there extra early to get them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Why didn't Irish rail staff remove this fool as they are allowed as its in the bye laws.

They can use reasonable force if necessary.

How can this be let happen its just crazy but in no way is a surprise as I have had incidents on the bus where people try holding everyone up for absolutely crazy idiotic reasons.

She should be slapped with a fine.

how can that be if you book and get on while train serves outer stations as in not 1st station.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,960 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Firstly 20mins is too early before departure. Secondly, Irish Rail have a habit of not boarding a lot of trains until 10/15mins before departure time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

Rubbish, what if it's prebooked for part of the journey. This fool deserves to get the max fine for stopping public transport and fit eating police time

But she is probably of the type that doesn't care about the law

Firstly 20mins is too early before departure. Secondly, Irish Rail have a habit of not boarding a lot of trains until 10/15mins before departure time.

I'm not taking sides here.

That is what I remember from T+Cs for IR pre booking.

If someone can correct me, that would be fantastic.

I had a similar incident on Cork train from Dublin. Not nice at all.

But the names are up on the reserved seats above. That didn't matter to this lady, But then again, sometimes the reserved seat names are not shown either.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,960 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

I'm not taking sides here.

That is what I remember from T+Cs for IR pre booking.

If someone can correct me, that would be fantastic.

I had a similar incident on Cork train from Dublin. Not nice at all.

But the names are up on the reserved seats above. That didn't matter to this lady, But then again, sometimes the reserved seat names are not shown either.

Agreed about names not being up on the seats. It's extremely frustrating. Sometimes they'll put leaflets on booked seats but sometimes I think they just don't bother putting on the machine which puts on the names.

Agreed about names not being up on the seats. It's extremely frustrating. Sometimes they'll put leaflets on booked seats but sometimes I think they just don't bother putting on the machine which puts on the names.

That is inexcusable really. There is absolutely no come back for those who have booked, if the names are not there.

Maybe that is a factor in this episode?

IR need to up their game in this regard. For the sake of all.

Really, if pre booking was guaranteed, no twitters, no angst, you are booked, and you have this seat, A lot of trouble would be have been avoided WRT to this incident.

And guaranteed seats is something they should MARKET!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭groovyg

From reading that article she seems to have accused him of assaulting her hence why the guards came. However those on the train didn't back her claim. She sounds like a dangerous b1tch! I bet she won't get charged for making false allegations or wasting police time.

Why were the Garda called instead of IR personnel?

If this is going to recur, our fares will escalate big time.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,550 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

She called the Gardaí herself it would appear.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

Why didn't Irish rail staff remove this fool as they are allowed as its in the bye laws.

They can use reasonable force if necessary.

Just to throw in my two cents as an Irish Rail employee, i would lose my job if i so much as put my hand lightly on a passengers shoulder if they were acting the bollix.

The law/management is 100% on the side of the disruptive passenger at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

From reading Irish Rail's replies to tweets from a twitter user who may be the person from the train it does appear that there is doubt over whether the names were actually displayed over the seats and if that is the case she has every right to sit in any free seat. It is also perfectly understandable that she would call the Gardai if she felt threatened or felt like she had been assaulted by two men who were arguing with her over a seat they claim was theirs.

BowWow wrote: »
    Wonder did she have a FTP?
    Why or how would this make any difference at all? someone with free travel has the same rights on public transport as any other person.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

foggy_lad wrote: »
    someone with free travel has the same rights on public transport as any other person.

Which is utterly insane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Which is utterly insane.
    Ok so lets let the disabled fend for themselves on public transport, lets not have fare reductions for students or children, lets charge every human being exactly the same price per mile for public transport whether on intercity routes or a few stops on the dart or luas!

Just to throw in my two cents as an Irish Rail employee, i would lose my job if i so much as put my hand lightly on a passengers shoulder if they were acting the bollix.

The law/management is 100% on the side of the disruptive passenger at this stage.

Hasn't caused me any problems as have had to put people off on a few occasions and some with force. Not something anyone wants to be involved in but it is part of dealing with the public from the decent and friendly to all in all crazy people and violent ones at that too.

You have the right to defend yourself and as an employee you should know your rights and duty of care.

You can access company bye laws online.

Yes you may be right that the company may not back you but the legislation/company bye laws, rules are there for a reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,668 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Pay rise would be needed :rolleyes:

Were seat reservations displayed??

Edit - No system working

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

There's very extensive CCTV on all Irish Rail intercity trains.
    It should be very easy to verify what happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭cofy

I would be very wary of being stuck on a train with such a volatile being.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

I've seen a few blow ups over this before though.

I asked someone to move a few times and only once have I had a bad reaction:

This middle aged, very able bodied guy started yelling about how "I paid full price at the station. You got an online discount! I deserve the seat more than you do!"

I gave up and just concluded that a certain generation of Irish people will never comply with normal rules and regulations of public transport.

I've been told by passengers "oh sure this is Ireland nobody bothers with stuff like that" on a busy train where I reserved seats.

We had deliberately booked a 4 seat unit for a meeting on the way up to Dublin. Wrecked our plans and actually means we won't be booking Irish Rail again as it was totally pointless.

It's very very annoying and frankly a bit of an embarrassing national stereotypes coming to the fore too.

You turn up for a train on some services here (notable exception is that people do seem to take it seriously on Cork-Dublin) and you're looked at like you've two heads for daring to sit in your prebooked seat - with your name on it (literally) and with regular bilingual announcements asking people not to occupy reserved seats.

If you book a seat on a continental train, you generally get that seat and there's no fuss. The don't even have electronic seat signs.

How would you react if you booked a restaurant and they said : oh yeah that's grand we just gave your seat to this other couple. Sure you can sit over there next to the toilet on those wobbly chairs??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭neckedit

what?? you can pre book a seat at any station? so guybooks seat from Maynooth to sligo....journey starts at Connolly. ....how is he meant to do this?

Advertisement