Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

From cardio to weights....a journey.

Options
  • 08-07-2014 12:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭

40 year old female, mam of 4. Doing cardio based classes for a couple of years but just needed a change. Started general pump n tone classes and realised I like lifting/pushing stuff. So started with a pt in our gym to learn how to lift properly. This guy competes in powerlifting comps so I zoned in on him rather than the others. Goal is just to get leaner and stronger. Not afraid of hardwork but diet (or rather chocolate addiction, could easily eat 10 bars of Cadburys in a given day) will always be my struggling point. Am 10 weeks working with pt, with a 2 week holiday in between. We tested my 1 rep max after 6 weeks and they were:

Deadlift 105kg
    Squat 65kg
    Bench 37.5kg

Going to test again 1st week Sep and hopefully see some improvements.
    My head loves the Deadlift, tolerates the Squat and detests the Bench :)

Going to use this to log my workouts and nutrition. And have really enjoyed and learned from other peoples logs. Am currently at 67.5kg, have dropped 2kgs since started lifting.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭ninamc

Yesterday's workout: Monday 7th July

Box Squat (pause)
    10 Barbell Squats
    8x30kg
    5x40kg
    4x50kg
    4x3 55kg working set

Block Deadlift
    10 Barbell Lifts
    5x40kg
    5x60kg
    3x5 70kg working set

DB Walking Lunges
    3x6+6
    15kg

Weighted Plank
    3x30s 30kg

Conditioning:
    15metre farmer walk with 15kg bags
    Sprint 30 metres
    15 metre farmer walk with 15kg bags
    5 box jumps
    All above x 6 sets

Prowler Push
    90kg x 30m x 2
    120kg x 30m x 2
    150kg x 30m x 2
    200kg x 2 but just on the high bars

In all fairness, this was split between 2 sessions, a.m (strength with trainer) and p.m (conditioning with friend).

Foam rolling this morning as have camogie match this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭gymfreak

Nice to have more ladies logging! I look forward to seeing your progress :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

ninamc wrote: »
    Yesterday's workout: Monday 7th July

Box Squat (pause)
    10 Barbell Squats
    8x30kg
    5x40kg
    4x50kg
    4x3 55kg working set

Block Deadlift
    10 Barbell Lifts
    5x40kg
    5x60kg
    3x5 70kg working set

DB Walking Lunges
    3x6+6
    15kg

Weighted Plank
    3x30s 30kg

Conditioning:
    15metre farmer walk with 15kg bags
    Sprint 30 metres
    15 metre farmer walk with 15kg bags
    5 box jumps
    All above x 6 sets

Prowler Push
    90kg x 30m x 2
    120kg x 30m x 2
    150kg x 30m x 2
    200kg x 2 but just on the high bars

Foam rolling this morning as have camogie match this evening.

What a great workout! Keep 'er lit and good luck!

Thanks gymfreak. Read your LONG thread from start to finish a couple weeks ago. It was like a suspense novel, wondering where you were going to settle :) Have to say you took some amount of criticism (mostly constructive) really well. Had thought you might move to Crossfit myself. My brother and sis-in-law are huge into it. Looks like you made the right move with your weightlifting and I wish you all the best.

gymfreak wrote: »

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

gymfreak wrote: »
    Had the same thought!

That workout and numbers look awesome

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭gymfreak

Thanks gymfreak. Read your LONG thread from start to finish a couple weeks ago. It was like a suspense novel, wondering where you were going to settle :) Have to say you took some amount of criticism (mostly constructive) really well. Had thought you might move to Crossfit myself. My brother and sis-in-law are huge into it. Looks like you made the right move with your weightlifting and I wish you all the best.

LOL.. I haven't read back on my log yet but I imagine when I do I'll get a good chuckle at all my random training adventures!!

Don't worry I'm pretty sure I aint settled yet, I'm still exploring and experimenting so I may end up in Crossfit yet:p:p

And ya, people are always going to judge and criticize and most of the time are correct or trying to be helpful, they still do it on my log and privately buuuut I've only just realised lately that I don't train to compete, to be fit or to be the best that I can be...I actually train cos I enjoy it! And if that means that some of the training stuff that I do isn't conducive to Weightlifting goals so be it! Once I enjoy what I'm doing and am happy why worry about the details that aren't all that important to me :)

Best of luck with your training, I'll definitely be following this log :)

Tuesday 8th July. Camogie match.

Wednesday 9th July. (A.M)

Upper Body (with trainer.)

BB Flat Bench
    10 Barbell
    5 x 25kg
    5x5 75% 1RM 27.5KG

Lat Pull Down (close grip)
    3x8 40kg

DB Incline Bench
    3x12 10kg
    +
    DB Single Arm Row
    3x12+12 15kg
    Superset.

Back to the flat bench for some sort of close grip press? Supposedly for triceps. First time doing it, 3 sets of 10 with just the bar.

Found the 10kg dumb-bells on the incline bench a bit tough. Surprised me as we had been doing them from the floor and they were more than manageable.

Did 3 sets of 5 band assisted pull-ups. One of my goals for Sep 1st is to manage 1 full pull-up. I find if I set small goals I tend to work better.

Was thinking of going back this evening for a conditioning workout but my body is weary from the match last night and this mornings session. Upper body always seems to take it out of me more than lower body days. Always feel I have more in the tank on leg days.

Thursday 10th July

No camogie training so just went the gym for an hour. Arms and chest still tight from Wednesdays workout.

Prowler
    90kg x 2
    120kg x 2
    150kg x 4
    220kg x 4 high bars only (goal for Sep to do 250 on the high bars and 180 on the low bars)

6 sets of the following:
    Farmers walk 2 x 15kg bags 15m
    Sprint 30m
    Farmers walk 2 x 15kg bags 15m
    Renegade Rows 6+6 10kg

Friday 11th July
    Box Squat w/pause
    Empty bar x 10
    5 x 30kg
    8 sets of 3 x 40kg these were to work on speed and breathing. Right knee still likes to turn inwards a bit.

Stiff Leg Deadlifts
    Empty bar x 10
    10 x 30kg
    3 sets of 8 x 40kg

Hamstring Curls 10kg x 3 sets of 10
    Superset with plank getups 10 each arm

Downstairs for some prowler/sprint work.

Heading away for the weekend with no kids and have every intention of eating and drinking whatever and whenever I want :) Will get back on track on Tuesday.

Up in Donegal for the weekend. Husband was in a fishing comp. Weather was atrocious so found myself in hotel gym on Saturday.

Sat 12th July

Bike warm up 10 mins

Dumbbell Floor Shoulder Press 10kg
    Lat Pull Down 35kg
    Super sets * 5 rounds

Stiff leg deadlift
    30kg * 10
    40kg 5 sets of 8

Did some core work, and managed a 3 min plank. That's more a mind over body kind of thing though.

Tuesday 15th July (with trainer)
    Warm up inc face pulls, scap squeeze, wall squats etc.

Squats
    10 x Barbell
    10 x 30kg
    7 x 40kg
    5 x 50kg
    3 x 57.5kg x 4 sets (working set.)

Deadlift off the blocks (or reebok steps :)
    40kg x 8
    60kg x 5
    70kg x 5
    80kg 3 sets of 5 working set

Walking lunges
    15kg DB 6+6 x 3 sets
    Weighted plank 35kg x 30secs x 2

Feel great after that session.

Have a camogie match this evening, so going to try keep myself hydrated and eat properly. Off the chocolate today, let's see where that takes me.

Friday 18th July

Upper Body

BB Flat Bench
    10 Barbell
    5 x 25kg
    5x5 30kg (suprised myself with these, wasn't easy but all went up grand)

Lat Pull Down (close grip)
    3x8 40kg

DB Incline Bench
    3x12 10kg (left arm still faltering on these, had to break the reps up on last set)

DB Single Arm Row
    3x12+12 17.5kg (was 15kg last week, happy to progress on these)

Quick session as had to pick up the kids. Meant to do a second leg session over the weekend but did something to my knee playing Camogie on Tuesday. Will see how it is come Sunday.

Diet/Nutrition completely gone to pot this week. Usually find it's hormone related and there's not much I can do about it.

• Advertisement

Monday 21st July

Right knee still acting up, only aggravated by certain movements though. So my second leg session pretty much went out the window. Couldn't do squats or hamstring curls.

Stiff Leg Deadlifts
    Bar x 10
    40kg x 8
    60kg 3 sets of 8 (no bother with knee)

Was feeling frustrated cause I couldn't squat so went down and pushed the prowler for half an hour to de-stress.
    Managed 230kg for the last push of 10 metres on the high bars, so that was enough to redeem the session for me.
    Realistically I should have done some upper body work with dumb bells and lat machine but just hadn't got the head for it. Tomorrow is a new day.

Tuesday 22nd July

Still semi-resting the knee so had to mix up the program a bit.

Deadlifts
    Bar x 10
    30kg x 10
    40kg x 10
    50kg x 8 sets of 3 working on speed and hip movement.

Superset x 3 sets
    10kg plate raise x 8 (left arm faltering again by rep 6....bugging the **** out of me at this stage.)
    Not sure of the name of the second exercise - the bar is fixed into the ground and you press it from your shoulder?
    Bar + 10kg x 8 each arm

Hamstring Curls
    3 sets of 8 each leg 5kg plates

Core Work Supersets x 4 sets
    Weighted plank 15kg 30 secs
    Renegade rows 15kg DB's 5 each arm
    Plank Get Ups 5 each arm

No camogie matches til Championship starts mid August so not going camogie training for a couple weeks in the hope of resting the knee a little. Sprints and the hard ground wouldn't help.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,559 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

ninamc wrote:
    Not sure of the name of the second exercise - the bar is fixed into the ground and you press it from your shoulder?

Think it's a landmine press or something along those lines.

Tuesday 22nd July

No camogie matches til Championship starts mid August so not going camogie training for a couple weeks...

Ah yeah, then stroll back in the Thursday before Championship like ye own the place... some poor sod after been breaking their back training all week while you're living it up in the cocktail lounge of Lillies... straight back into the Starting 15 as well... I've met your type, Nina... oh, I've met your type!

:D:D:D :pac: :pac: :pac:

I'd like to say that's how it is, especially the cocktail lounge in Lillies. Unfortunately not, I'm one of the stupid/stalwart seven that even train on the Thursday while the young wans think they don't need it :)
    WHIP IT! wrote: »
    Ah yeah, then stroll back in the Thursday before Championship like ye own the place... some poor sod after been breaking their back training all week while you're living it up in the cocktail lounge of Lillies... straight back into the Starting 15 as well... I've met your type, Nina... oh, I've met your type!

:D:D:D :pac: :pac: :pac:

I'd like to say that's how it is, especially the cocktail lounge in Lillies. Unfortunately not, I'm one of the stupid/stalwart seven that even train on the Thursday while the young wans think they don't need it :)

Meet your brother!

Knee gone from bad to worse. Was being pretty careful til I had to sprint after the youngest when he tried to pull a fast one onto the road. Physio on hols, should get an app for next week.
    Going to set me back on my 3 lifts testing 1st week of September but sure what can you do.

Thursday p.m 24th July
    Just went over for an unplanned session to stop myself from eating all around me :)

3 sets of
    500 metre row
    Pull-up machine x 12

Last 500 metre row was an embarrassing 2.28, the first was 1.59 and the middle was 2.05. If doing this set again would like to get them all under 2 mins. Would like to blame the heat but I'd be lying.

Stiff Leg Deadlifts
    3 sets of 8 @ 50kg

Skull Crushers 3 sets of 10

Downstairs for some prowler work
    90kg, 120, 150, 150, 150.

Friday a.m
    Band pull-ups 9, 6, 6

Floor Press with barbell
    Bar x 10
    25kg x 8
    30kg x 4 sets of 8

Lat pull down (biceps)
    3 sets of 8 @ 40kg

Superset 3 rounds of 8
    Pulley Row (he had a bar through the handles so it was a very wide grip) 25kg

Incline Bench w/ 10kg DB's (delighted I managed these as my left arm keeps failing me on EVERYTHING, feel like Nemo with his dodgy fin)

Downstairs for
    Superset (3 rounds)
    Renegade Row 14kg DB's 5 each side
    Farmers walk 30 metres with 2 x 30kg bags.

That concludes today's essay.

Monday 28th July

Deadlift Session with PT

Warmup & Mobility

Deadlift
    40kg x 8
    60kg x 8
    70kg x 5
    80kg x 3

Deadlift while standing on a plate
    40kg x 5
    50kg x 5
    60kg x 5

Stiff Leg Deadlift
    40kg x 3 sets of 12

Snatch Grip Barbell Hold???
    40kg x 30 secs
    50kg x 30 secs
    60kg x 30 secs x 2 (grip went with 5 secs to go on the second one)

Downstairs for some conditioning work by myself:
    5 sets of
    Prowler 110kg
    Renegade Rows 12kg x 6 e/s
    5 push-ups

Foam rolling for a good 10 minutes.

Great session overall considering I was in no form for anything all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭helliwen

Great session overall considering I was in no form for anything all day.

Well done! :D

Wednesday a.m Knee still niggling, one day feels grand next day hurts to walk. Waiting on physio to get back to me with appt.

Floor Press
    Barbell x 8
    25kg x 5
    30kg x 4 sets of 3
    Went up to 35kg and couldn't get the 3rd rep on the first set, but on the 30kg I felt like I could go for ever. Strange what damage 5kg can do.

Wide Grip Pulley Row (with bar through handles)
    25kg x 3 sets of 8

Superset x 3 rounds
    Military Press 20kg bar x 8
    Wide Grip Lat Pulldown 30kg x 12
    First time doing the military press thing, quite liked it.

Single Arm Row x 2 sets
    15kg x 20 each arm

Modified Press Ups to fail
    Arms were like jelly after the single arm rows. So an embarrassingly shocking
    25, 9 and 8. Then I fell in a sweaty heap onto the floor.

3rd day with no chocolate. An achievement in itself :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭roseybear

May want to lay off the prowler with a dodgy knee? I know it's hard, u prob still have that cardio bunny mentality in there somewhere but you could be just pushing things back even more :/ fair play with the rest though :)

Thanks for reply. Think you might be right. I dropped the weight the other night, the max I pushed was 110 plates & 40 prowler weight. But even though it never hurts when I'm pushing it, reckon it's definitely not helping to heal. You're probably right bout the cardio thing, never feel like I've completed a session without pushing the heart rate through the roof. Like eating 3 fingers of a kit-kat :)

roseybear wrote: »
    May want to lay off the prowler with a dodgy knee? I know it's hard, u prob still have that cardio bunny mentality in there somewhere but you could be just pushing things back even more :/ fair play with the rest though :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭roseybear

Thanks for reply. Think you might be right. I dropped the weight the other night, the max I pushed was 110 plates & 40 prowler weight. But even though it never hurts when I'm pushing it, reckon it's definitely not helping to heal. You're probably right bout the cardio thing, never feel like I've completed a session without pushing the heart rate through the roof. Like eating 3 fingers of a kit-kat :)

Iv been there, started weights in Feb after yrs of running and loving the change now bt took a good 2months to relax about it though. Also r.e. The knee, I woulda been the same and kept going regardless but did a course recently that showd me how you think it could be ur knee but it could be something completely different referring on. I'm sure ur physio will recommend the best thing but rest and ice are the number 1 and 2 things they'll prob suggest

Saturday 2nd Aug
    Great start to the day, went physio and nothing major wrong with the knee. Small muscle tear at the back and also tight right quad and hip flexor. Magic tape on the back of the knee and mobility work for the quad/hip. Delighted, and can start back light squatting this week and on the prowler straight away. Got to the gym, stood on scales and am 65.6kgs, the lightest I've been since my 20's.

Day went a bit downhill, got to the gym and had deleted my program by mistake. Decided to spend an hour and make stuff up, just means I have to go back tomorrow and do my program day.

Single Arm Rows
    15kg x 15 each side x 3 sets

Supersets
    Pulley Row
    35kg x 8 (found too heavy so dropped weight on following 2 sets)
    30kg x 10
    30kg x 10
    Each one followed by 8 push-ups.

3 sets
    Lat Pull Down (biceps) 40kg x 8
    Plank 1 minute

Hamstring Curls 3 sets of 8

Ab/Quad machine 3 sets of 30 @ 35kg

Prowler
    80kg x 2
    110kg x 2
    140kg x 4
    200kg x 2 high bars only

Did a couple of farmers walks with 15kg bags.

Sun 3rd Aug.

Box Squats
    Bar x 10
    30kg x 10
    40kg x 10 x 2 sets

Lower Back Extensions
    4 sets of 10

Renegade Rows
    4 sets of 6 e/s x 17.5kg

Was meant to do hamstring curls but did them in make-up session yesterday. Handy session in and out in 45 mins.

Monday 4th August

Deadlift Session with trainer

Deadlift
    40kg x 10
    60kg x 6
    80kg x 2+1 was meant to be 3 together but had to get chalk
    90kg x 2+1 was meant to be 3 but hysterical laughing took over midway as every single one of them went lopsided. Haven't a clue what was going on in my head.
    90kg x 3 smashed :) good form if I may say so myself.

Deficit Deadlift
    60kg x 6
    60kg x 6
    65kg x 6
    65kg x 6

Stiff Leg Deadlift
    40kg x 10
    45kg x 10
    45kg x 10
    Trying to concentrate on not shrugging my shoulders at the top.

Snatch Grip Deadlift
    40kg x 30secs
    50kg x 30secs
    55kg x 30secs
    55kg x 30secs

Love, love, love deadlift Mondays. Puts me on a high for the day. Testing for the second time in 4 weeks, hope to go from 105 to 112.5 or even 115. No idea if I'm being too optimistic but it's nice to have something to aim for.

Wednesday a.m Upper Body

Floor Press
    Barbell x 8
    25kg x 5
    30kg x 3
    32.5kg x 3 x 2 sets
    35kg x 3 delighted, couldn't do this last week

Wide Grip Pulley Row (with bar through handles)
    25kg x 3 sets of 8

Superset x 3 rounds
    Wide Grip Lat Pulldown 35kg x 12

Single Arm Row x 2 sets
    17.5kg x 20 each arm (14, 6) (13,7) up from 15kg last week. Tough.

Find these excruciating after single arm rows. 25, 10, 7.

Upper body strength seems to be improving, hopefully should show on my bench in the next few weeks. Might go over for some conditioning later.

Great session.

Sat. 9th Aug.

After my upper body session on Wednesday where I felt physically and mentally great.....things took a turn for the worse. Went back Camogie training on Thursday, lots and lots of sprints. Felt grand at the time. Woke in the middle of the night with a searing pain just to the left of my right kneecap. Hurts to raise the leg, and taking the stairs up or down is a nightmare. Got in touch with physio, he said it was more than likely down to the sprints. So under orders to rest, elevate and ice over the weekend. (Hard with 4 kids) And to add insult to injury, my lower back has decided to get in on the pain action. So feeling quite stressed, cranky and old. And of course eating crap to satisfy the emotional void of not training, ...hopefully the most negative post I will throw up here. I'd pull my kids up on such self-indulgent nonsense but this is my log :)

Mon 11th Deadlift Session

Normal Deadlift
    40kg x 10
    60kg x 6
    70kg x 3
    80kg x 3
    90kg x 3
    95kg x 3

Deficit DL
    40kg x 6
    60kg x 6
    65kg x 6
    70kg x 4 sets of 6
    Right knee is caving inwards on the last rep of most sets. Apparently it's to do with my abductors and the fact I play field sports. Have exercises to try strengthen them, let's see how it goes.

Stiff Leg Deadlift
    40kg x 10
    50kg x 3 sets of 10

Snatch Grip Barbell Hold
    50kg x 30secs
    55kg x 3 sets 30secs.

Walked out looking like I had run a marathon. Not a pretty sight. But was a good session.

• Advertisement

Wednesday 13th Aug.

Wednesday a.m Upper Body

Floor Press
    Barbell x 6
    25kg x 5
    30kg x 3
    32.5kg x 3
    35kg x 3
    37.5kg x 4 sets of 2. *was meant to be 3, couldn't get the last rep up on any of them. Only figured out when I got home, had it completely wrong. Was meant to be 2 sets of 35kg and 1 set of 37.5. Was pretty freaked out that I was failing on it, but feel a little better about it now.

Superset x 3 rounds
    Wide Grip Lat Pulldown 30kg x 12

Single Arm Row x 2 sets
    17.5kg x 20 each arm (14, 6) (13,7)

27, 13, 8

Note to self: Felt weak and **** for pretty much most of the session. Looking at last weeks log and the difference in moods is amazing. And it boils down to nutrition. Was eating really well and clean for 2 weeks previous, and since hurting my knee - again, last Thursday have been eating copious amounts of crap in a "feeling sorry for myself" binge. Ridiculous.

Advertisement