Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Open Championship 2014 ** Read The Charter Before Posting **

Options
  • 01-07-2014 5:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,522 ✭✭✭

Only 2 weeks away now!

Paul Dunne well in the mix for one of the 3 places on offer today at Woburn.
    Would be great if he could join Harrington, Clarke, Mcilroy and Lowry in the field at Royal Liverpool (Hoylake).
    Alan Dunbar looks like he will just fall short at Hillside.

http://www.theopen.com/en/Qualification.aspx

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,182 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

He appears to have won it, so I assume he is in now. Great achievement!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,522 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Mushy wrote: »
    He appears to have won it, so I assume he is in now. Great achievement!

Yeah he qualified, I forgot McDowell in opening post as well!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Yeah he qualified, I forgot McDowell in opening post as well!!

Heard that on RTE this morning. That's a great achievement. Nice to have another Irish player to follow. Really looking forward to this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭sydneybound

Can't believe people aren't talking about this more. Great achievement by the young man, I wish him all the best in the Open. If I can go I'll follow him for a few holes.

Surprised Kevin Markham hasn't said anything as they are from the same club. I recall him posting on here some years back about how good this young lad was going to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭ssbob

Some scoring by the lad. Don't know much about him but wish him all the best at Hoylake. An added interest for us!!

Scoring at Sunningdale was tough wasn't it!

One of my favourite TV weeks of the year:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭Kevinmarkham

Can't believe people aren't talking about this more. Great achievement by the young man, I wish him all the best in the Open. If I can go I'll follow him for a few holes.

Surprised Kevin Markham hasn't said anything as they are from the same club. I recall him posting on here some years back about how good this young lad was going to be.

Yea, kicker I won't be over for it. Had thought about it earlier this year, but I'm away a lot over the summer as it is.

http://www.theirishgolfblog.com/2014/07/the-open-championship-and-paul-dunne.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Think I heard someone on the US golf coverage say that the rough will be a lot thicker and longer than it was in 2006 when Tiger breezed around the place with irons off the tee.

Can't wait for the BBC coverage and of course Ken on the course :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,859 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

He's not the only one. :)

That was some score he had and when you look at some of the names in the field, well played Paul, very well played.

The young lad is a serious golfer, don't see to much of him around the place these days as he is in USA on Scholarship, but he has been the star of the show over there this year. He actually has one year left there in UAB (where G'Mac went), so I guess turning pro shortly after that is on the cards.

Indeed Paul isn't the only Greystones star over there. My old sparring partner from my junior days Alan Murray is the Head Coach at UAB and he just won the coach of the year. Alan was on someones bag for the US Open (can't remember who) but maybe there is a chance he might be by Pauls side in 2 weeks time??????????

I know who I will be cheering for when it comes down the straight on Sunday with Rory and Paul fighting for the title.........

just don't tell the missus!..... if you know me, you know what I mean :D

stevieob wrote: »
    He's not the only one. :)

That was some score he had and when you look at some of the names in the field, well played Paul, very well played.

The young lad is a serious golfer, don't see to much of him around the place these days as he is in USA on Scholarship, but he has been the star of the show over there this year. He actually has one year left there in UAB (where G'Mac went), so I guess turning pro shortly after that is on the cards.

Indeed Paul isn't the only Greystones star over there. My old sparring partner from my junior days Alan Murray is the Head Coach at UAB and he just won the coach of the year. Alan was on someones bag for the US Open (can't remember who) but maybe there is a chance he might be by Pauls side in 2 weeks time??????????

I know who I will be cheering for when it comes down the straight on Sunday with Rory and Paul fighting for the title.........

just don't tell the missus!..... if you know me, you know what I mean :D

I think Paul said that his Dad will be on his bag for The Open.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

The Open Championship digital magazine http://www.inkwell-services.co.uk/openmag/2014/#1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭denishurley

I'm going over for the Wednesday practice and then Thursday too, can't wait

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Legwinski

I'm going over for the Wednesday practice and then Thursday too, can't wait

Exact same.
    Can get pictures etc. on the Wednesday
    Then can get a well positioned grandstand seat on Thursday and watch em all come through while they are all still in the hunt!

Have never seen Bubba, Dufner or Spieth in the flesh before so looking forward to that!

Was at it in 2006 too, hoping for similar weather!

I've never been to it so just looking forward to everything :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Got myself tickets for Sunday, first time going to a major, I work about 5 minutes from the course and live in the city so its handy for me. Long list of players I want to watch. Looking forward to it. I walked along the beach from West Kirby to Hoylake last weekend and the course looks like its great condition unsurprisingly.

Capture_zps7b002280.png

Anyone have any idea if I would be safe enough buying the tickets at the gate?

You would, AFAIK

McGrane and Hoey in with a sniff of claming an Open spot tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭fearruanua

Aha Shake wrote: »
    Anyone have any idea if I would be safe enough buying the tickets at the gate?

no problem getting tickets at the gate.
    "under 21 please" : )

Well done Michael Hoey, 7 Irish players now.

Karlsson and Rui also got places through France.

George McNeill, Chris Stroud, Cameron Tringale and Billy Hurley III got in through the Greenbrier.

10 players got invited though the world rankings as well to make up the full field so that's everyone down to Olesen in 84th who had actually missed out but took the place of Howell III (73rd) who isn't playing.

18th looking great this morning. Looks like the rough could be starting to burn off a bit?

Untitled-1_zps39ce2b31.jpg~original

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

YayaBanana wrote: »
    Got myself tickets for Sunday, first time going to a major, I work about 5 minutes from the course and live in the city so its handy for me. Long list of players I want to watch. Looking forward to it. I walked along the beach from West Kirby to Hoylake last weekend and the course looks like its great condition unsurprisingly.

Pick a small few and stick with them. Don't try to fit too much in or else you won't see anyone.

Going from one player to another can include a very long walk. The television doesn't do it justice. Also, if you're following the last group on a Sunday then try to skip every second shot and race ahead to the green for a better vantage point. If you go with the players shot for shot then you won't see anything.

Dress for every kind of weather. I'm going on the Sunday and I'll be bringing a spare change of clothes. I've just realised I forgot my waterproofs. I hope it doesn't rain.

EDIT: If you're looking to get up close to some players then head for the exit off of the green. You'll have a great view of the putts and they'll walk straight past you. It's surreal seeing the likes of Phil Mickelson walking two feet in front of you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭scrubber72

Anyone know of pga players practising for the open in Ireland. I know graham delat played doonbeg, lahinch and is going to tralee. Tiger used to play waterville but is already in Liverpool.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Running Balance

Just wondering would it be boring to go to by yourself?

Live in the pool and want to go Friday. Most of the lads i know are working.

Going on your own gives you the chance to watch whoever you want, which is pretty cool!

I say go for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Absolutely not. I have been to three with my dad when I was younger. We always split up as we both wanted to see others.

In fact, I went to the WGC in Mount Juliet with my brother and dad and all three of us split up.

It would be great to go with a crowd but you'll see so much more on your own. Don't hesitate. I'm going on my own on Sunday.

One tip: get a radio or find a way to listen to the radio. Tune in to 5 Live and you're sorted.

I can understand how people think golf on television is boring. There's no way you could be bored when you go to a tournament though.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Norfolk Enchants_

SnowDrifts wrote: »
    18th looking great this morning. Looks like the rough could be starting to burn off a bit?
    Massive fan of the Open, but not too sure about the straight lined fairway there on the 18th, I hope that's not the case over the whole course, it makes it look dull and uninteresting, but I suppose it's a throwback to the days when it was the norm, still though I'd prefer the contoured look like they have in Royal Birkdale this week for the womens British Open.
    On the point about the rough burning, I don't think that's the case, it's just the longer grass going to seed, it's a feature of open golf and links course's in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

I don't go to many tournaments, but when I have, I have always gone on my own - definitely recommend it. In fact it would be very difficult in a group. You really have to be able to move quickly.

Really looking forward to this bar one snag....what is the tv covergae? Is it only on bbc? Have saorview, sky go....will bbc work through sky go yeah?

Mushy wrote: »
    Really looking forward to this bar one snag....what is the tv covergae? Is it only on bbc? Have saorview, sky go....will bbc work through sky go yeah?

Unfortunately not Mushy. That's a shame for you because BBC's coverage of the Open is the best coverage of the year with it been shown all day uninterrupted.

• Advertisement

SnowDrifts wrote: »
    Unfortunately not Mushy. That's a shame for you because BBC's coverage of the Open is the best coverage of the year with it been shown all day uninterrupted.

I know. Probably have to go through a VPN or some such like to watch it online. Maybe try it on the playstation or somesuch, it'll work out though.

Advertisement