Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC contract changes advertised today

Options
  • 23-01-2014 2:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭

not a bargain alert per se, but it might save you some money if you planned to cancel or downgrade - from today's email:

"Changes to your monthly subscription charges from March

The change to the price of your UPC services, which is listed below, will be reflected in your bills from March 2014. [...]

Our services represent excellent value, however you do have the right to cancel or downgrade your service within 30 days of receipt of this notice without penalty if you choose not to accept these changes."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

m4rkiz wrote: »
    not a bargain alert per se, but it might save you some money if you planned to cancel or downgrade - from today's email:

"Changes to your monthly subscription charges from March

The change to the price of your UPC services, which is listed below, will be reflected in your bills from March 2014. [...]

Our services represent excellent value, however you do have the right to cancel or downgrade your service within 30 days of receipt of this notice without penalty if you choose not to accept these changes."

What are the changes?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

What are the subscription charges going up to now? I haven't seen the email.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

I was quoted an extra €6.50 on top of my usual €36 for broadband only. They let me off with €3.50 as I'm registered on MyUPC for paperless billing-wahoo!!

I'm ringing to end my contract anyway, I'll at least see if they will budge on it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Also don't have an email, would like to see the new prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭evostik

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Where's the bargain?
    NTL/Cablelink have always had this clause in the contract

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

snubbleste wrote: »
    Where's the bargain?

And apart from you, how many people were aware of it? Thanks OP.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

And apart from you, how many people were aware of it? Thanks OP.
    Everybody who can read a contract that they sign. Every customer will get an email/letter to notify of price changes also.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Everybody who can read a contract that they sign. Every customer will get an email/letter to notify of price changes also.

This is the 1st I've seen of it.

Thanks OP, much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭AdrianII

Where's the bargain?

bargain for me, because im moving house and UPC wanted 200Euro for early cancelation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭AdrianII

also, contracts are done over the phone now, so you don't sign anything

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

There are enough threads on boards.ie relating to this already. Not a BA, but that doesn't seem to matter.

UPC price increase??, Change to your subscription: Your price change €6.51 Inc. VAT per month, UPC Price Increase to mention but three.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,930 ✭✭✭dodzy

Never signed a contract.

Never received email.

UPC Customer, for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭A Law

Thanks op, didn't realise this. Great bargain.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 pmulv

I also got the 200 charge for the change and decided not to.
    So it looks like I can cancel but can I cancel straight away?
    In other words, do I still have to give 30 days notice? Anyone know?

Thanks for the bargain op.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

There are enough threads on boards.ie relating to this already. Not a BA, but that doesn't seem to matter.

It's a bargain for people wishing to break their contract and not everyone visits the UPC forum, so I appreciate the OP posted it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭m4rkiz

yes, from what they told me over the phone it still is 30 days notice as price change from March 1st

• Registered Users Posts: 23,136 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

dodzy wrote: »
    Never signed a contract.

Never received email.

UPC Customer, for years.

You signed a contract over the phone. I did it with UPC before, and magnet. They outline that you agree to x, y and z, and you reply "Yes". This constitutes a contract, and is not just a verbal agreement.

Should you ever get into legal dispute with the organisation they can pull the file of the call where it would clearly outline your agreement to x,y and z which is contractually binding.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Crimsonforce

i'm paying 36 euro a month for 30 mb it now goes up by 6.50, so it will be 42.50

now I see they are offering 50 Mb for new customers

50Mb Broadband
    Home Phone with Freetime World

for 25 euros for first 6 months and then 37 euros thereafter

Unbelievable companies who treat existing customers so badly.

here is the letter from them

Over the past 12 months, UPC has introduced superb new products to bring the best digital experience to our customers including Fibre Powered Horizon TV, superfast broadband and phone services. Through our network investments to date and our ongoing investments in programming, content and technology, we are focused on delivering quality and value for money to all of our customers.
    Due to increases in overall programming and operating costs, we will need to increase your monthly subscription. We are aware that any price adjustment is unwelcome so we have ensured that the increase is kept to the minimum possible. Details of this price change are outlined below.

Changes to your monthly subscription charges from March
    The change to the price of your UPC services, which is listed below, will be reflected in your bills from March 2014.

Change to your subscription

Your price change

€6.50 Inc. VAT per month

• Registered Users Posts: 14,413 ✭✭✭✭cson

I called there to explore my options. Long story short; I got put through to the Loyalty Dept and signed up to a new 12 month contract @ €55 p/m for TV, Unlimited Internet and the mystery phone that we never use.

The increase (was going from €66 to €70) precipitated my call so ironically if they'd left it, they'd be getting more money out of me for the next 12 months.

Worth a try for anyone hit with the increase.

Been with UPC for 2.5yrs in case anyone is wondering.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭wolfyboy555

is there any advantage of this to my situation?

joined UPC back in august on the 6months at 50€ and then up to normal price for next 6 months. it's for tv,bb (100mb and unlimited downloads) and phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,413 ✭✭✭✭cson

is there any advantage of this to my situation?

joined UPC back in august on the 6months at 50€ and then up to normal price for next 6 months. it's for tv,bb (100mb and unlimited downloads) and phone.

Cancel and get a housemate to sign up for another half price offer?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

Am I right in thinking they are announcing this now, but not putting the prices up for more than 30 days in the hope that by the time the majority of people are billed for the change the 30 days have already lapsed?

Music to my ears anyway. Have had nothing but hassle since I switched to horizon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭wolfyboy555

cson wrote: »
    Cancel and get a housemate to sign up for another half price offer?

I can still cancel if I have signed up for 12 months ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

I've had neither for the last few series of price increases, since I went paperless. Perhaps in UPCSpeak, paperless means "cutting off all contact". They do have my email address as I have gotten other emails from them on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,810 ✭✭✭irishproduce

Doesn't seem to affect phone/ broadband only customers according to the link on their site...

http://www.upc.ie/pricechanges/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Doesn't seem to affect phone/ broadband only customers according to the link on their site...

It does. Self serve discount applies. I have Fibre 50 Chat bundle and got the email.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭van_beano

I'm thinking (and wondering) the same thing, I don't have the TV package!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭van_beano

ballooba wrote: »
    It does. Self serve discount applies. I have Fibre 50 Chat bundle and got the email.

So does that mean €3.50 off your bill?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

I didn't get the email either.

Nothing on the link says phone/bb either.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement