Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

LPG for me?

Options
  • 09-01-2014 8:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 64,844 ✭✭✭✭

Bought an '04 BMW 520i auto a few months ago and I intend to keep this car for at least another 2 years from now on

An LPG station / fitter (part of a chain of them) opened up recently near me and offer their highest spec LPG conversion for 6 cylinder cars for €1299. Linky

I only do about 6k miles per year. With petrol at €1.52 and LPG at €0.78 and consumption at 25MPG and 22MPG, I'd save about €700 per year in fuel

Would you go for it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Vote 4 Pedro

Personally no i wouldn't go for it,

I don't know how it would affect the resale value of the car but your mileage is tiny anyway.
    There was a massive boom in LPG conversions about 12 years ago in the UK, everyone was having it done, I was an auto electrician over there at the time and i have seen a good few of the conversions, You don't see them anymore and the ones i saw would all be in the scrap yard by now but the fact that it's not done (or hardly done) anymore over there should say something.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

unkel wrote: »
    Bought an '04 BMW 520i auto a few months ago and I intend to keep this car for at least another 2 years from now on

An LPG station / fitter (part of a chain of them) opened up recently near me and offer their highest spec LPG conversion for 6 cylinder cars for €1299. Linky

I only do about 6k miles per year. With petrol at €1.52 and LPG at €0.78 and consumption at 25MPG and 22MPG, I'd save about €700 per year in fuel

Would you go for it?
    You would just break even after two years of your ownership witrh the cost of the LPG installation.

Another very important question is, do you have a reliable nerby loctaed LPG supplier?

Your mileage is small, i.e. you probably do a lot of short trips and I believe you can live without a car, so if I was looking for savings, I would just drive less.

To summarise, if you are only going to keep the car for two years, I would not go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,844 ✭✭✭✭unkel

You're both right, my mileage is low and I'd only about break even if I sold the car in 2 years time (at which point the car would be worth about the same with or without LPG installation)

I might very well keep the car for another 4 years though, saving myself well over a grand in those 4 years, even with a pessimistic calculation
    Seweryn wrote: »
    Another very important question is, do you have a reliable nerby loctaed LPG supplier?

I do, see my original post ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭Zico

LOL DFX I've wondered for some time whether gas cars stopped exploding or whether the media were just paid enough to stop reporting it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Would you go for it?

I thought about it with my 520 but decided against it on the basis I wouldn't be keeping the car and as I change cars often enough anyway it wouldn't be worth it. Maybe the next car, I'm undecided yet

Where's your nearest fitter? There's a fitter in Navan who lives in Lucan :D

• Advertisement

dgt wrote: »
    I thought about it with my 520 but decided against it on the basis I wouldn't be keeping the car and as I change cars often enough anyway it wouldn't be worth it. Maybe the next car, I'm undecided yet

Exactly my thoughts when I got my previous car, a Saab 9-5, which was never going to be a car for the long term for me :)
    dgt wrote: »
    Where's your nearest fitter? There's a fitter in Navan who lives in Lucan :D

In Lucan. Only about a mile from the village, where I have to be several times a week anyway. Only saw that tonight, so that's what prompted me to start this thread.

There are some "hidden" costs in using LPG:

-extra maintenance (of the LPG system)
    -extra driving to fill up (plus the inconvenience of it and time lost)
    -driving on petrol at least some of the time

Another issue for me is that most of my driving is short distance start stop, where one would use 10-20% more LPG than petrol (particularly if both tanks are full)

If the installation was under a grand, I'd be more keen to go for it...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

Another issue for me is that most of my driving is short distance start stop, where one would use 10-20% more LPG than petrol (particularly if both tanks are full).
    I don't think the issue here is the higher consumption of LPG than petrol, as the engine would use slightly more LPG than petrol in any driving conditions.
    The problem is that on short trips the engine will run on petrol until it warms up and switches to LPG. If your trips are really short, then you will be still burning a lot of petrol per year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

In the next year or so I am considering making the move to LPG. I work with a few Lithunians and they love it.It can justify the purchase of a luxobarge if you intend on keeping.
    I believe they know a fitter who will fit with a cert for about a grand. I will need to confirm this though.
    The technology compared to a few years back has vastly improved.
    In fact I was told last week that in Lithunia they are testing an lpg system on diesels engines!
    How that works I havent a clue.

Seweryn wrote: »
    I don't think the issue here is the higher consumption of LPG than petrol

There is. At cruising speed on motorways, the difference is negligible, but in heavy start stop traffic it could easily be up to 20% (the weight of the LPG installation and full tank is the guts of 100KG I guess, which in itself is significant in that kinda traffic on a car of say 1400KG)

And as you say, if you do a lot of short trips (which I do too), you'll be driving on petrol quite a bit

bcmf wrote: »
    It can justify the purchase of a luxobarge if you intend on keeping.

Indeed! On a V8 luxobarge, the installation is earned back within a year even if you do slightly less than average miles!

I've had a few of those myself and if LPG had been as widely available back then, I would have converted them for sure!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭mullingar

bcmf wrote: »
    In fact I was told last week that in Lithunia they are testing an lpg system on diesels engines!
    How that works I havent a clue.

It is possible to run a diesel engine on lpg, but only at a maximum 50/50 mix as the lpg needs a source of ignition to ignite, ie the ignited compressed diesel.

I have an lpg'd 98 gs300, well worth the conversion.

mullingar wrote: »
    I have an lpg'd 98 gs300, well worth the conversion.

If it's worth it depends on a few factors, I guess you do a bigger mileage then me? :)

There is. At cruising speed on motorways, the difference is negligible, but in heavy start stop traffic it could easily be up to 20% (the weight of the LPG installation and full tank is the guts of 100KG I guess, which in itself is significant in that kinda traffic on a car of say 1400KG)

And as you say, if you do a lot of short trips (which I do too), you'll be driving on petrol quite a bit

You will consume 15-20% more regardless of type of driving to maintain proper stochiometric and lamba levels.

Lpg only weighs around 0.5kg a litre, so a full 80L(65L) tank can only hold 38kgs of lpg.

You will consume 15-20% more regardless of type of driving to maintain proper stochiometric and lamba levels.

Ouch! I thought at constant (motorway) speed the difference was only a few percent these days? Obviously in start stop traffic the extra weight of the LPG system and fuel adds significantly to the fuel consumption
    Lpg only weighs around 0.5kg a litre, so a full 80L(65L) tank can only hold 38kgs of lpg.

What's roughly the weight of the tank itself and all the other bits and bobs of the installation?

I found it used 15-20% more, regardless if its primarily city or motorway driving and I get an average of 20mpg on lpg vs 24mpg on petrol.

The equipment is probably 40kg. 30kg for the tank plus all the other bits.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

I got my 5 pot S60 done in LPGain in tallaght before Christmas. 1100 including the filler beside the petrol cap and a 70 litre tank. I've done about 500 miles so far and love it. No noticeable difference in power or driveability. It switches to lpg within half a mile in the mornings or a lot less when the engine isn't stone cold.

The big win for me is that there is an lpg station right around the corner from me. On the first 2 tanks I got 26 and 21mpg, but at half the price of petrol. The second tank was short trips over the Christmas so now I'm back in work I expect to see closer to 26 as it's M50 all the way. I was putting €50 a week into the old car just going to work. Now it's closer to €30. At 20 quid saving a week I'll break even in a little over a year.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

I converted my e36 in September 2012, best move I ever made and I have over 15,000 miles up on LPG since. The only drawback is that there is still not enough places selling the fuel. It is a great system and I have saved enough to pay the conversion and have a good few hundred saved since which is all savings to me now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 19 Cowboy2014

<Poster, please read this forum. It will help you with the most common questions new users have.>

• Registered Users Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

1. You can't assume a 100% saving of the difference per gallon.

2. Your mileage is quite low.

3. It barely pays back over your expected ownership period.

4. It will reduce the size of your boot meaning it will likely impact on resale ability negatively.

All of these together would make me pause for thought. I have thought of LPGing my V8 SUV and probably will eventually. I'd be hesitant to do it on a 520i.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Marcusm wrote: »
    1. You can't assume a 100% saving of the difference per gallon.

2. Your mileage is quite low.

3. It barely pays back over your expected ownership period.

4. It will reduce the size of your boot meaning it will likely impact on resale ability negatively.

All of these together would make me pause for thought. I have thought of LPGing my V8 SUV and probably will eventually. I'd be hesitant to do it on a 520i.

I have a donut LPG tank in the spare-wheel well,, no difference in the boot other than not having a spare whell. I carry a car of the tyre-weld gunge now instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭toyotaavensis

OP you look like you are going for a Zenit system. When I was thinking about going for LPG, I did my homework and it seems Prins is the best system you can get. It is not much more expensive than what is on the website link you provided.

In the end I decided not to go for it as the avensis valves dont like lpg. If you go to the prins website they have details of cars which dont react to LPG well. I suggest you look up your car before you get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

^He's right - PRINS is the best for 6cyl BMWs. 99% of LPG converted 6 pot bimmers in Poland have either Prins or Landi Renzo conversions (in rare cases they've stag300).

15-20% is bull**** and if that's the case, I'd really have my conversion checked. Even my uncle's E38 730i used 16l/100km average petrol and only 19l/100km LPG (less than 10% more). His was a Landi Renzo conversion though.

3/16 is more than 10%

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Stinicker wrote: »
    I have a donut LPG tank in the spare-wheel well,, no difference in the boot other than not having a spare whell. I carry a car of the tyre-weld gunge now instead.

I am surprised anyone would say the lpg installation would lower the resale value, too.
    If it is fitted for the vehicle that averages 20-25 mpg, then i would rather have smaller boot and an equivalent of 40 mpg tbh.
    It is a good option even for a smaller engine - know of a 1.4 05 Honda Civic that works very well doing Athy-Naas-Athy everyday. The 1000 euro investment paid off very soon.
    Those donut tanks are very clever, and if properly fitted the floor of the boot will be raised so you won't notice the difference (well - the capacity is smaller after that but with 75-85c/l you can't go wrong).
    If i had a choice to pay a premium to have same car with a diesel engine(50mpg) or a petrol with a LPG, i would choose the second one.
    My 2c.

3/16 is more than 10%

Pardon. I had 2/3 bottles of vodka :D My math ain't the best :D

I didnt mean to seem snotty. I imagine your maths are correct and you put in the wrong numbers as there should be about a 10% drop in mpg when you move to lpg.

I didnt mean to seem snotty. I imagine your maths are correct and you put in the wrong numbers as there should be about a 10% drop in mpg when you move to lpg.

17.6 mpg on petrol
    14.9 mpg on LPG.

That seems high. What sort of car/conversion kit is it?

That seems high. What sort of car/conversion kit is it?

1994 BMW E38 730iA with the owner's foot welded to the floor :D

• Advertisement

Sobanek wrote: »
    17.6 mpg on petrol
    14.9 mpg on LPG.

= an 18.1% increase.

Bang on in the 15-20% range for increased consumption

Advertisement