Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Page Redesign

Options
  • 25-04-2013 6:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

I've got a couple of images to show you of what we're planning for our home page. First of all, the logged out visitor's Home Page:

250974.jpg
    (click for full size)

First of all you'll see that we're showing a "Trending" panel as the first listing of site content. The idea being that if someone comes to Boards who just wants to have a look around, they'll see something that piques their interest and click. This may feature options for "Today," Yesterday," "This Week" as you can see.

Below that you'll see the normal "Latest Posts" that we're familiar with and you can split that by Category.

We've also taken some space on the right to include a Login / Sign up widget as well as one for the Announcements

However, the "Logged In" page is probably the one you're mostly interested in seeing:

250976.jpg
    (click for full size)

The "Trending" panel from the logged out page has changed to include the existing functionality of "My Threads," "My Forums," and "Latest" as we already have. There's a tab labelled "My Boards" and honestly, we're not sure if that's something we'll put some work into - in theory it's covered between Forums and Threads, but it might include things like visitor and private messages - it hasn't been finalised, but we thought we'd leave it in the mock up to see how it looked.

Below that is "My Threads" which would mean that we could take it out of the tab listing in the first panel and maybe the page loads showing your forums on the top and your threads on the bottom. I'd love to see these as being user configurable, so you could ideally set those 2 panels up to show what you want (and maybe even only show one of the panels). That's not been discussed in any sort of detail as far as I know though, so maybe the lads will be cursing me for evening mentioning it :p

Finally, there's the Suggestions panel beneath the My Threads panel. This is pretty self explanatory, it'll offer you links to threads/forums elsewhere on the site that are similar to threads/forums you're already following or posting in regularly. How the algorithm to determine this will work I'm not sure.

Similarly the space on the right has the Announcement's Widget as above and if we think of some cool ideas to fill up the remainder of that space, we'll try them out.

So I'm happy to answer any questions you might have about this. We don't have a time-line in place for when this will happen, but it's likely to be sooner rather than later.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

Ohes Noes!

I think I will stay permanently logged in. The "trending" thing is a put of for me because an idiotic Dublin radio station use it in every sentence. They also call the Minister for Finance - "The Minister for Money"............reeeeeeeeeetards!

Other than that, looks good man.

Everything looks good, but I hate this "trending" thing. Kinda seems like jumping on a buzz word bandwagon. Other than that, it does look good and crisp.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Everything looks good, but I hate this "trending" thing. Kinda seems like jumping on a buzz word bandwagon. Other than that, it does look good and crisp.

Twitter is probably bigger than boards could ever aspire to being.

People can relate to "hashtag" and "trending" and "like" as they use these sites daily and understand what it gives you.

To a degree, Boards needs to get with the times and if options such as trending are that then do it. Our thanks button is effectively Facebook like and is used as such by most Boardsies

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Looks good.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,714 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

RopeDrink wrote: »
    I prefer the current one

Good work either way but I'm an old Boards Warhorse who is very much at home with how it looks right now...
    I'm from the same camp. Will there be an option to revert back to the old main display and layout? If not, would it be possible to consider implementing an option in our UserCP to 'Revert back to old layout'?

Don't get me wrong, it's clear that some hard work has been done here but it's always nice to have the option.. the choice to use the 'new' layout, or stick with the 'current' layout because it's where you feel the most comfortable.

Even though I would love to have that option, I still feel that a 'Thank You' is in order because this was done for the benefit of the boards.ie userverse©, so to all the staff who worked on the front end and back end of this - please accept my sincerest Thank You for all your hard work and efforts to make this a more user-friendly site for all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Take us back Dav! Only you have the power!

http://web.archive.org/web/20010401193812/http://www.boards.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

I'd suggest that you make each entry on the trending and current panels to be 'forum unique' so that you'll never get more then one thread from each forum showing at a time otherwise the busier forums may overshadow the smaller ones.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

OldGoat wrote: »
    I'd suggest that you make each entry on the trending and current panels to be 'forum unique' so that you'll never get more then one thread from each forum showing at a time otherwise the busier forums may overshadow the smaller ones.

Surely that'd defeat the whole point of trending topics?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

My homepage gets 40 rods to the hogshead and that's the way I likes it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

nesf wrote: »
    Surely that'd defeat the whole point of trending topics?
    I suppose it's really down to the question of why we need a trending page. Is it to highlight the most popular threads/forums or to show the range of forums available to potential users.

I guess I'm afraid that Boards will just be seen as a site where funny pics/videos and photographers pictures of the week are the only reason for venturing into the site. If AH or Politics threads dominate the Trending page to the exclusion of all other forums then thats what all of Boards will be seen as by potential new users.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Advertisement

OldGoat wrote: »
    I suppose it's really down to the question of why we need a trending page. Is it to highlight the most popular threads/forums or to show the range of forums available to potential users.

I guess I'm afraid that Boards will just be seen as a site where funny pics/videos and photographers pictures of the week are the only reason for venturing into the site. If AH or Politics threads dominate the Trending page to the exclusion of all other forums then thats what all of Boards will be seen as by potential new users.

Read the tagline:
    Trending: Join in on board's[sic] busiest forums!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I like the look of it. :)

Although I spend zero time on the homepage... any changes to the way the actual forums display?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭Boards.ie: Rónán

Dades wrote: »
    Although I spend zero time on the homepage... any changes to the way the actual forums display?

Moving the forum / thread pages off of vBulletin and over to the API powered framework is the ultimate objective.

The redesign detailed above will hopefully see us move the first "core" aspect of the desktop site (bar the TalkTo's) over, so we'll see how this one goes and take it from there.

Given almost 70% of all site traffic moves through the homepage it should hopefully let us know exactly where we stand in terms of API / UI stability. The amount functionality provided on the HP is minuscule compared to the forum / thread views however, so serving a forum / thread page over the API framework is still quite a long term objective!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Not too sure with the shots above, can you still do the "thanks," trend and the search for "Virgins"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

UPDATE!

We're running through the bug list on the first iteration of the home page redesign right now and we're hoping to push these changes live some time this week.

I've attached some up to date screenshots of what it'll look like - you'll see there are some differences from the initial design. Please click on the images below to see them full sized.

Logged In
    260853.jpg

Logged Out
    260855.jpg

The Suggestions functionality is still a work in progress, so it won't be included for the moment. It's a big piece of functionality so may be a separate project entirely and it's something we could use in several locations.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

When I click on the Boards.ie logo to get the home page I see the regular home page but when I go to the home page by typing in boards.ie I get the logged in image above but only from View All Announcements downwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭Boards.ie: Rónán

When I click on the Boards.ie logo to get the home page I see the regular home page but when I go to the home page by typing in boards.ie I get the logged in image above but only from View All Announcements downwards.

The Talk to ad placement isn't specific to the new design, which is what I think you mean? Would you mind sending on a screenshot if possible, just to be on the safe side. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

The Talk to ad placement isn't specific to the new design, which is what I think you mean? Would you mind sending on a screenshot if possible, just to be on the safe side. Thanks

There's a thread in Site Development about the same issue here and he's going to post a screenshot there. (Saves me having to do it!)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Looks good from the screens.

Few points

- From the screens it looks like the blue header for talk to's "get all the answers" is a slightly lighter shade of blue than the rest of the blue headers? Is that intentional?

- The login/register tabs are a different style than the latest posts tabs.

- The header in logged out mode the wording for register action is "sign up", in the login/register tabs it's register.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

So the tech team tells me that it's likely that this redesign is getting rolled out today.

If you spot any bugs or problems, I'd ask that you please report them on the Site Development forum as that's where the tech team hangs out and it'll make sure that anything you report gets picked up much more quickly.

General feedback on what you think of it is of course always welcome here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

I don't see what's so wrong with the current table of threads with forum, thread title, last poster and post date.

There's an awful lot of padding between every thread and it's much more difficult to quickly scan through than the current design.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭CSSE09

I don't see what's so wrong with the current table of threads with forum, thread title, last poster and post date.

There's an awful lot of padding between every thread and it's much more difficult to quickly scan through than the current design.

I was going to say similar to the above and what's the purpose of adding the thanks counter on the right?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,815 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Kinda torn on this layout..

.. while I like that it's less busy than the existing layout, I think there's not enough information under Latest Posts.

Can we customize how many posts appear under each page of 'Latest Posts'? Can't help but think 12 per page is not enough on a quick glance. As it stands currently, there's 50 shown under Latest Posts on front page.. which may be overkill but 12 seems far too little.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Danny

Basq wrote: »
    Kinda torn on this layout..

.. while I like that it's less busy than the existing layout, I think there's not enough information under Latest Posts.

Can we customize how many posts appear under each page of 'Latest Posts'? Can't help but think 12 per page is not enough on a quick glance. As it stands currently, there's 50 shown under Latest Posts on front page.. which may be overkill but 12 seems far too little.

The front page at the minute doesn't paginate. The new one offers pagination and 5 pages of 12 posts for 60 posts total. It also has an additional benefit of standardising the number of posts with touch (which only shows 12 per page).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

Can we fix the typo in the notice?
    Hello all, we've got a new look homepage about to roll out today. If you've been following the Feedback forum you'll have seen the proposed layout's already, but if not, you can see them here.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,283 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

The front page at the minute doesn't paginate. The new one offers pagination and 5 pages of 12 posts for 60 posts total. It also has an additional benefit of standardising the number of posts with touch (which only shows 12 per page).

Having the current home page with 50 threads visible is far more convenient than having to scroll through 5 pages. Certainly as an admin I, and presumably the other admins too, spot a lot of spam and other stuff that requires attention on the home page that will probably be missed because it's buried several pages down. But even as a regular poster, anything that forces me to scroll through pages rather than having them instantly visible is less convenient and attractive to me. I often wander into threads that I see on the home page that I would never have come across otherwise, and that random aspect of Boards use will be lost. Other than for presumably technical reasons, I honestly can't see how pagination is better than what we currently have.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Looks awful. About 60% screen wastage and massive ads all over the place. Hope this won't be forced on everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,815 ✭✭✭✭Basq

The front page at the minute doesn't paginate. The new one offers pagination and 5 pages of 12 posts for 60 posts total.
    Yep, I like the idea of pagination but I wonder how many people will actually use it.. or at least have an customizable limit per page.

Dropdown with 12, 15, 20, 30

i.e

12 (5 Pages)
    15 (4 Pages)
    20 (3 Pages)
    30 (2 Pages)

I would much rather more information at a quick glance than having to paginate though multiple views.

Maybe I'm alone there though?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

So you're adding logout functionality, interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Looks great! As long as boards forums use up the entire width of the screen it's all good. I imagine the short width is for the smartphone/tablet crowd.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement