Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Saturday Night Show: April 6th 2013 9.55pm

Options
  • 05-04-2013 11:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭

Coming up on the show this week we'll be meeting sixteen year old Donal Walsh who came to prominence last week when he spoke out about youth suicide. He'll be telling tell Brendan his own moving story and how he hopes a positive message can reach those at risk of suicide.

The current Rose of Tralee, Nicola McEvoy, will be in to talk about the exciting year she's had since winning last year and Daithi O Shea will be in with her to tell us how married life is treating him! One of the country's favourite thinkers and commentators,

John Waters, will be in to share his thoughts on the new pope and the Catholic Church and how he thinks Ireland will do in this year's Eurovision.

Charlotte Church will be in to tell us about the new direction her music career has taken and what it was like to grow up under the watchful eye of the media. She will be performing a track called "Nerve" from her new EP "Two".

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Halloween Jack

Strange, first guest sends out strong anti suicide message, while the remainder of the show seems hell-bent on driving viewers to commit same act;)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

In all seriousness, Donal Walsh's story deserves to be read
    In his own words, Donal Walsh’s plea to those considering suicide

Sixteen-year-old Donal Walsh from Blennerville is Radio Kerry/Kerry’s Eye Local Hero of the Month for March.

Donal who has cancer has written this appeal:

“A few months left, he said. There it was I was given a timeline on the rest if my life. No choice, no say, no matter. It was given to me as easy as dinner. I couldn’t believe it, that all I had was 16 years here and soon I began to pay attention to every detail that was going on in this town. I realised that I was fighting for my life for the third time in four years and this time I have no hope. Yet still I hear of young people committing suicide and I’m sorry but it makes me feel nothing but anger.
    I feel angry that these people choose to take their lives, to ruin their families and to leave behind a mess that no one can clean up. Yet I am here with no choice, trying as best I can to prepare my family and friends for what’s about to come and leave as little a mess as possible. I know that most of these people could be going through financial despair and have other problems in life, but I am at the depths of despair and believe me there is a long way to go before you get to where I am. For these people no matter how bad life gets there are no reasons bad enough to make them do this, if they slept on it or looked for help they could find a solution and that they need to think of the consequences of what they are about to do.

So please as a 16 year old who has no say in his death sentence, who has no choice in the pain he is about to cause and who would take any chance at even a few more months on this planet appreciate what you have, know that there are always other options and help is always there.”

YOU CAN CONTACT THE SAMARITANS 24 HOURS A DAY AT 1850 60 90 90.

http://www.radiokerry.ie/news/killarney-woman-calls-on-government-to-broadcast-blennerville-teenagers-words-about-suicide-nationwide/
    A Killarney suicide prevention advocate is calling on the Government to fund a campaign to have a letter written by a Blennerville teenager broadcast nationwide.

16 year old Donal Walsh from Blennerville who is battling cancer has made a powerful plea to those considering suicide to think twice.

He is this month’s Radio Kerry Kerry’s Eye Local Hero winner.

Donal says as a person with no say in his fate he reminds people that there are always other options and help is always there.

Deirdre Fee of Be Aware Prevent Suicide says Donal’s message should be heard in all schools across the country:

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/terminally-ill-16yearold-takes-his-antisuicide-campaign-to-rte-29176645.html

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Donal's story is really heartbreaking and I really admire him for trying to make a difference.

However, it is only a few weeks since Brendan had Joan on from Pieta House and two other guests who were raising awareness about Suicide. I think that we need a little break from the heavy issues occasionally.

He'll be telling tell Brendan his own moving story

That was a direct copy from the RTE site, by the way. The boys and girls in RTE should really do a quick grammar check before they publish their Press Releases :rolleyes:

MrsD007 wrote: »
    Donal's story is really heartbreaking and I really admire him for trying to make a difference.

However, it is only a few weeks since Brendan had Joan on from Pieta House and two other guests who were raising awareness about Suicide. I think that we need a little break from the heavy issues occasionally.

Normally, I would agree with you about the amount of Suicide stories in a short period, but I think Donal's story is exceptional and I think the SNS Producers have made the correct decision this time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,135 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

He feels angry because people take their own lives. It sounds like he's only going to add to the stigma, rather than create awareness.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

He feels angry because people take their own lives. It sounds like he's only going to add to the stigma, rather than create awareness.

Absolutely, this is a complete farce and it shouldn't be aired. The guy is ill himself and I feel very sorry for him but he's no right to pontificate to the mentally ill, he has no right whatsoever. Physical and mental illness are completely different things.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,414 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Turns me off completely I'm afraid,RTE's obsession with sick people on every entertainment show has gotton way out of hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭NormanNicetouch

kneemos wrote: »
    Turns me off completely I'm afraid,RTE's obsession with sick people on every entertainment show has gotton way out of hand.
    Beggars belief that it's suicide/depression yet again. Practically every week now on this or Late Late. Do they really think people want to watch this every weekend? Seriously weird.

Absolutely, this is a complete farce and it shouldn't be aired. The guy is ill himself and I feel very sorry for him but he's no right to pontificate to the mentally ill, he has no right whatsoever. Physical and mental illness are completely different things.

I agree. What does a 16 year old know about suicide and depression anyway.

It seems that he's annoyed that he's going to die when he doesn't want to and is angry with teenagers that voluntarily end their own lives. He should just try to concentrate on getting better/raising money rather than picking people who take their own lives.

• Advertisement

I agree. What does a 16 year old know about suicide and depression anyway.

It seems that he's annoyed that he's going to die when he doesn't want to and is angry with teenagers that voluntarily end their own lives. He should just try to concentrate on getting better/raising money rather than picking people who take their own lives.
    His situation is incredibly tragic and I suppose he is doing what he thinks is right. I personally feel that it is too soon to be covering the suicide issue again, it is only a couple of weeks since Brendan had a panel on the show.

I would never dismiss anyone because of their age. 16 year old's do suffer from depression too and I'm sure that there are plenty of teenagers who have lost school friends or family members to suicide.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

It is a great thing that a 16 year old can give his views openly, it makes me uncomfortable that he is given a slot on the SNS to give, lets face it, a naive view on suicide. He has a terminal illness, he has obviously had a good life experience in his 16 years but he can't talk about the mental health of people. How on earth can he understand what depression does to people? He has an admirable positive attitude and that's the way to go, but at 16 years of age he can't equate his experience with the complex darkness of mental health issues.

That's not to say his opinion is to be ignored, it should be balanced evenly with a panel consisting of experienced people working in the field.

I wish him well in his battle with Cancer, my heart goes out to him and his family.

Brendan is going down the misery road slowly but surely.

His situation is incredibly tragic and I suppose he is doing what he thinks is right. I personally feel that it is too soon to be covering the suicide issue again, it is only a couple of weeks since Brendan had a panel on the show.

I would never dismiss anyone because of their age. 16 year old's do suffer from depression too and I'm sure that there are plenty of teenagers who have lost school friends or family members to suicide.

If he suffered from depression, then yes, let him speak, but he doesn't. So why on earth would he be talking about it.

If he suffered from depression, then yes, let him speak, but he doesn't. So why on earth would he be talking about it.
    I'm not sure if he has suffered from depression in the past or what experience he has of the condition. Perhaps he has known people who have battled with it.

I doubt I'll be watching Donal's interview I reckon I'd find it too upsetting. I've known young people who have died from suicide and others who have died from cancer, both are incredibly difficult situations for the people involved and their families.

I'd like to wish Donal well.

I'm not sure if he has suffered from depression in the past or what experience he has of the condition. Perhaps he has known people who have battled with it.

I doubt I'll be watching Donal's interview I reckon I'd find it too upsetting. I've known young people who have died from suicide and others who have died from cancer, both are incredibly difficult situations for the people involved and their families.

I'd like to wish Donal well.

Both incredibly different?

I hope he doesn't come on tonight to give about suicide. Just because someone is suffering from cancer doesn't mean they can't be a-holes.

I hope he doesn't come on tonight to give about suicide. Just because someone is suffering from cancer doesn't mean they can't be a-holes.
    Of course they are incredibly different, tell me about it.

It is very painful to watch someone die from a terminal illness but there is usually an opportunity for everyone to get their affairs in order and say and do things. Suicide is far tougher as loved members are quite often left feeling angry, helpless and guilty etc...

That's a bit harsh hm, I'm sure the intention is good from Donal's perspective

I don't get the idea of a slot on the SNS. Donal is trying to get his point across for a younger audience I suppose. A program with younger viewers may be better, and in a panel form with informed discussion imo - There won't be many teens watching Brendan on a Saturday night I would imagine.

That's a bit harsh hm, I'm sure the intention is good from Donal's perspective

I don't get the idea of a slot on the SNS. Donal is trying to get his point across for a younger audience I suppose. A program with younger viewers may be better, and in a panel form with informed discussion imo - There won't be many teens watching Brendan on a Saturday night I would imagine.

Well I'll wait to see what he says tonight, but from what I've read it doesn't look good.

Skid X wrote: »
    Coming up on the show this week we'll be meeting Daithi O Shea will be in with her to tell us how married life is treating him! One of the country's favourite thinkers and commentators,

John Waters
    , will be in to share his thoughts on the new pope and the Catholic Church and how he thinks Ireland will do in this year's Eurovision.

In the name of God, who wrote that intro???????

And give the man/woman a prize for fiction!!!!!!

(I know you didn't Skid!!!!!!:eek::eek::eek:)......:P

Well I'll wait to see what he says tonight, but from what I've read it doesn't look good.

I agree, I may get remote control itis, I've really had enough of sad tales.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭tintin67

RTE Talk Show Hosts Handbook

Question 1: Just how Irish are you?
    Question 2: Are you proud to be Irish?
    Question 3: Have you ever suffered from depression or had suicidal thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭NormanNicetouch

tintin67 wrote: »
    RTE Talk Show Hosts Handbook

Question 1: Just how Irish are you?
    Question 2: Are you proud to be Irish?
    Question 3: Have you ever suffered from depression or had suicidal thoughts?
    Live and learn, Norton, live and learn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

When I saw that "Whis is nothing being done about this?" headline on tomorrow's Sunday Independent, I assumed that it was a reference to Tubridy's awful presenting of the LLS.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 425 ✭✭Dreamertime

Skid X wrote: »

Oh my God, this is going to be very moving...

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭lmao

10/10 for fcuking up that Di Canio joke!

• Registered Users Posts: 72,192 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

*emerges from behind couch after 24 hours*

*hears Samoa gag*

*goes back behind couch*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭cofy

Evening all, crazy old dog with it's head stuck out the window:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭cofy

OK television is on mute for this bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

It's an important subject, and it has to be told

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 425 ✭✭Dreamertime