Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My prison ideas: (Possibly Hitlerish) but read anyway

Options
  • 24-01-2013 7:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭

Sorry if this has been done before but my thread searching hasn't yielded anything similar ;)

Prisons should be (for both men and women):

7 a.m. wake up and have breakfast of porridge or cereal and a glass of water.

8 a.m. off to work (for no pay, slave labour to save money for country)

12 or 1 p.m. Lunch of porridge and a glass of water

5 p.m. return and have dinner (meat and or veg) and a glass of water.

6 p.m. back into cell (with bed folded up) prisoners must stand up in cell for 3 hours (this will be monitored by prison guards periodically passing through the corridors, got this idea from Locked Up Abroad, Japan).

9 p.m. prisoner allowed to lie down.

10 p.m. lights out.

Visits once per week, 3 hours at a time.

Radio and telly allowed 1 hour per week.

Orange jumpsuits for uniforms

What do you think ??

As a by the way, if one was to come into some money, could he or she open up his or her own building and run a private establishment charge the government for housing inmates, and do it for a fraction of the price that the goverment-based prison services will do it for, again, creating jobs and saving government money.

DISCUSS, and keep it civil (sorry for doing your job there mods <<<<< Hope the boards union won't mind :P :p )

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Sorry if this has been done before but my thread searching hasn't yielded anything similar ;)

Prisons should be (for both men and women):

7 a.m. wake up and have breakfast of porridge or cereal and a glass of water.

8 a.m. off to work (for no pay, slave labour to save money for country)

6 p.m. back into cell (with bed folded up) prisoners must stand up in cell for 3 hours (this will be monitored by prison guards periodically passing through the corridors, got this idea from Locked Up Abroad, Japan).

10 p.m. lights out.

Visits once per week, 3 hours at a time.

Radio and telly allowed 1 hour per week.

Orange jumpsuits for uniforms

What do you think ??

As a by the way, if one was to come into some money, could he or she open up his or her own building and run a private establishment charge the government for housing inmates, and do it for a fraction of the price that the goverment-based prison services will do it for, again, creating jobs and saving government money.

DISCUSS, and keep it civil (sorry for doing your job there mods <<<<< Hope the boards union won't mind :P :p )

"slave labour" costs other people jobs. The model of harsh punishment has been tried and didn't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,413 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

You want to treat people like animals for some reason?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

The kind of shít that keeps feeble minds occupied never ceases to amaze me.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭repsol

kneemos wrote: »

I wouldn't be in favour of treating criminals like animals either. I think animals deserve better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

Anyone have a link to the nordic experimental open prison that cut recidivism by 80% our something really high? On the mobile so can't find out.
    Why not do that instead. High up front cost but lowers crime and the future associated cost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

kneemos wrote: »

Most of these "people" are animals.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Humiliation and borderline torture lessens their chance of integrating into society on release. I think they should be given respect and care but only healthy food and some type of work.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,155 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Where's the rehabilitation bit? you know, to stop them doing it again.

Most of these "people" are animals.

Define most? Like 80%, 90%. So what have the other 10-20% done that they're not animals?

Anyone have a link to the nordic experimental open prison that cut recidivism by 80% our something really high? On the mobile so can't find out.
    Why not do that instead. High up front cost but lowers crime and the future associated cost.

Not sure. There is a prison in the UAE (Saudi Arabia) that is like a 5 star hotel with education etc. They have almost zero reoffending and very successful outcomes.

However, the inmates are political prisoners rather than criminals so the results might not work in a normal prison.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

LIBERAL PANSY

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Grayson wrote: »

His proposal is a deterrent towards repeating criminal activity.

Where's the rehabilitation bit in the current system? Prison in Ireland is neither a deterrent nor does it perform rehabilitation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

At least you Godwin'd the thread in the title anyway.

I think the whole ,that was awful,I NEVER want to go back there part might rehabilitate a few.

repsol wrote: »
    I think the whole ,that was awful,I NEVER want to go back there part might rehabilitate a few.

Criminals don't think like that. At best they'll think "I never want to get caught again".

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Agreed. Rehabilitation and solving the issues surrounding the offending behaviour is critical. But for those who repeatedly offend and have shown no willingness or capability of becoming decent citizens, I've no problem in them getting extremely harsh punishment.

And OP...prisons are expensive to build and the limited capacity means a revolving door system. How about a large tarmac covered area surrounded by 20 foot fences and some tents for the inmates? Similar setup is used in a Texas prison and it works great (Though that prison is used for people on remand/1st time offenders/minor offenders etc which is unjust).

repsol wrote: »

And that works in Japan? They have no repeat offenders and no organised crime.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

What if instead of work or standing up, they say fvck off?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Another fascist fantasy thread.

What a surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

That's one hell of a bowl of porridge.

• Advertisement

Criminals don't think like that. At best they'll think "I never want to get caught again".

Wrong.There are very few prisoners over 50 years in jail for minor thefts etc.Most of them get weary from going in and out for years and missing out on relationships and kids growing up etc.If things were harder inside they would just cop on a few years sooner and decide prison wasn't something they were prepared to go through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭ITS_A_BADGER

cows are treated better at abattoirs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

How about a large tarmac covered area surrounded by 20 foot fences and some tents for the inmates?

We already have that, it's called the Oxegen music festival.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Chemical Burn

Would a criminal scumbag be more afraid of committing his or her first offence if prisons were run in the fashion outlined in my OP or the liberal pansy girls' blouse way things are run in Halden Prison Norway ???

If someone (God forbid) raped and or battered a young child or old person, especially if this was a family member of yours, would you want them to live like a King ?? In better conditions than some elderly people are living in or homeless ?? Cop on. They deserve no better than the most squalid conditions.

I think the OP knew he was a bit batsh1t when he described his ideas as a "bit Hitlerish". Anything that can be described like that by it's proponent is obviously crazy.

Would a criminal scumbag be more afraid of committing his or her first offence if prisons were run in the fashion outlined in my OP or the liberal pansy girls' blouse way things are run in Halden Prison Norway ???

If someone (God forbid) raped and or battered a young child or old person, especially if this was a family member of yours, would you want them to live like a King ?? In better conditions than some elderly people are living in or homeless ?? Cop on. They deserve no better than the most squalid conditions.

So, are you saying that prison sentences deter rapists or child molesters? If we just lengthened the sentence larry murphy would never have committed a crime?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

If someone (God forbid) raped and or battered a young child or old person, especially if this was a family member of yours, would you want them to live like a King ??

Of course you wouldn't, you would be completely irrational due to anger. We can't base our legal system on how irrational people react, it'd be fcuking chaos. And why is the only two options on table to either, make them live like a king or live in absolute squalor. Why is there never anything in between?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭opti0nal

That would cut off the supply of cheap labour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭opti0nal

...Cop on. They deserve no better than the most squalid conditions.
    Would you buy their products?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Apart from the 'slave labor' and standing up for 3 hours per day (wtf?!) it doesn't sound overly excessive to me.

Other countries have introduced work-like placements for prisoners and it is shown to help them. Other jobs needn't be lost as a result, because in most cases other people are not employed to do whatever it is anyway.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement