Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dash cams, what to get and where to get it (Q&A only)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 AprilPhilips

ION08 wrote: »
    I just bought one of these off Ebay to try out:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-720P-HD-Small-Dash-Car-DVR-Camera-Video-Recorder-Register-Cam-G-Sensor-UK-/261818860832?hash=item3cf59ec520

I like the fact that it's discreet and can fit neatly behind the rearview mirror!

Has anybody else bought one of these?

Also, would anybody know how I would got about hooking it up so that it automatically switches on/off with the car?

Thanks!
    what is the quality like.? can you read reg plates?

Then you would have to plug it in/out every time, or get it hardwired into a power supply that comes on/off with the ignition.
    would a mechanic charge much to fit one?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

would a mechanic charge much to fit one?

You'd need an auto electrician to hardware it,
    I believe a page or 2 back someone mentioned €60-€80 but that might have included the camera! I'm not too sure

• Registered Users Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭oleras

I got one last year but took it out after shorting the 12v socket, constant plugging in and out.

The car has keyless entry so when the unit was left in when the door was opened power went to the socket and it turned on, when the ignition was then started it would power down and have to be plugged in and out.

Nearly got wiped out last night coming home so will reinstall it, its an eprance one afaik. I will just got a double adapter for the socket and plug it in and out of there, only other option is to hardwire it ? I may look into that also.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,513 ✭✭✭✭vectra

oleras wrote: »
    I got one last year but took it out after shorting the 12v socket, constant plugging in and out.

The car has keyless entry so when the unit was left in when the door was opened power went to the socket and it turned on, when the ignition was then started it would power down and have to be plugged in and out.

Nearly got wiped out last night coming home so will reinstall it, its an eprance one afaik. I will just got a double adapter for the socket and plug it in and out of there, only other option is to hardwire it ? I may look into that also.

What car?
    They are simple to wire to a spare cigarette socket.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

vectra wrote: »
    What car?
    They are simple to wire to a spare cigarette socket.

Megane.

Whatever is happening when the ignition is started seems to reboot it and it stays off unless i physically plug it back out and in.

Its a G1W novatek, maybe its a setting in the unit itself that can be toggled.

oleras wrote: »
    Megane.

Whatever is happening when the ignition is started seems to reboot it and it stays off unless i physically plug it back out and in.

Its a G1W novatek, maybe its a setting in the unit itself that can be toggled.

Maybe it is on auto record in case of a bump?

I have that turned off in mine.

vectra wrote: »
    Maybe it is on auto record in case of a bump?

I have that turned off in mine.

Its not a biggie really, i dont think those sockets are designed to be used a lot, ill get the double adapter, then at least if a pin bends or breaks, like the previous one it will be in the 2.99 unit and not the main one, which was replaced under warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

What are people doing with cars that have permanently live cigarette lighters?

I've just got a caddy from work and after thew first couple of days I was pissed off plugging it in and out all the time or switching it off.

Might try dig out a wiring diagram and wire a new socket from a switched live.

• Advertisement

"cheers for the reply but I think my cigarette lighter has a constant current going to it " How would you know if it had?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,820 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I got an auto sparks to just wire all mine to ignition live which I think is easiest achieved by wiring it to the radio head unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

"cheers for the reply but I think my cigarette lighter has a constant current going to it " How would you know if it had?

Plug something in when the car is off and youll know quick enough

I've just got a caddy from work and after thew first couple of days I was pissed off plugging it in and out all the time or switching it off.

Where are the fuses in that?

I think i will just add an inline switch to the power cable for mine, could you do the same ?

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭thebuzz

Anybody get this camera? Looks a decent price for the quality (if it's accurate of course).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Pov06

Get yourself a relay for the current socket. Cut the 12V line on the socket and connect it to the relay. Wire another 12V switched line into the relay which when on will allow current to flow through the main 12V line of the socket.

12527647e9129233622.bmp

The "carputer" wire being your 12V wire that's already running on the socket.

You can get switched 12V from the head unit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭veganrun

Are these things easy to fit? I watched a YouTube video of a guy fitting one and he put the cable along the headliner at the top of the windscreen. The headliner seemed to pull back easily.

I checked my car and it's fairly tightly up against the windscreen.

Is there another way to fit one of these?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

A pro can do it fairly cheap if you buy the camera there too. Contact a local and get a quote with fitting, it may be cheaper than you think.

veganrun wrote: »
    Are these things easy to fit? I watched a YouTube video of a guy fitting one and he put the cable along the headliner at the top of the windscreen. The headliner seemed to pull back easily.

I checked my car and it's fairly tightly up against the windscreen.

Is there another way to fit one of these?

Take a similar sized wire, like phone charger cable, and using something soft like a plastic knife (the blunt end) about the same thickness as the wire, and try to gently put it up behind the headliner, and see how it goes, there is usually a bit of give in them, even if it seems tight.

• Advertisement

Do these come with a long cable? I think I want to fit two, one front facing, the other rear. I have a spare 12v cigarette socket behind the centre console/pocket where the rear facing one could be plugged in and the main cigarette socket at the front.

Do I need some sort of adapter to stop them shorting something out? I don't mind the idea of plugging them in and out each time.

Any suggestions for a good one to get? Eprance 0801? Something good enough to record number plates. I've no idea really :)

I have an E-Prance 0801 in the rear, and an 0806 in front, and the 2 cables both reach around the car to the centre console, while remaining reasonably hidden away.
    I think the cables come in 3m length.

I use an extension I bought in Halfords to allow 4 devices be plugged into it (2 dash cams & iPhone charger) they are all on when the ignition is turned on, and I've never had a problem with anything shorting out/tripping.

Is the 0806 an Eprance model or do the numbers indicate something else?

Actually, just ordered an 0801.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

I checked the reviews of the 0806's on amazon and there are lots of poorly manufactured 0806's out there. I've seen it written in several reviews that one company does the design and then gets a lot of different companies to do the actual manufacturing which of course means you get a lot of variation in manufacturing capabilities (with some being complete siht) and in quality control.

If buying from amazon I would suggest buying from amazon directly.

Is the GPS feature worth getting on one of these? What does it do/record?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

Anybody got a link to a good seller of the 0806 on Amazon or elsewhere? Unlike the other models by eprance there seems to be loads of manufacture names for the 0806.

• Advertisement

veganrun wrote: »
    Is the GPS feature worth getting on one of these? What does it do/record?

with GPS, you can also show on the videos that you record the speed at which you are travelling at.

or a better way to explain how useful GPS is is this..

The importance of proving your speed with a dashcam

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement