Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IOL Email - Down, Cancelled??

Options
  • 03-08-2012 10:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭

I have an iol email for the last 10 years at least however I just noticed that I havent received anything into it via gmail in some time today. When I logged in via webmail.iol.ie, I noticed that there are no emails there back to last year, although I know I have received ones through gmail. Im waiting on some receipts as I always use this account for purchases. There is plenty of space for new emails, approx 6mb (might delete everything just to see if a large email is clogging it up). I have sent a test email to it but got bounced back as follows

This message was created automatically by mail delivery software.

A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:

[email]xxxxx[/email]
    local delivery failed

The following text was generated during the delivery attempt:

[email]xxxxxx[/email]

procmail: Quota exceeded while writing "/iol/home/m/xxxxxx/Maildir/tmp/1343983526.26601_0.hub03.mail.esat.net"

Any suggestions? Who do I even contact now as the help link doesnt work either?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

Id imagine its all but gone, i had the same issues with trying to get into an ancient oceanfree account, just suck it up and change to a current provider i reckon.

However that error implies you need to delete stuff from your webmail account to bring your data allowance back down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

have emptied the trash in there now and there is on a few kb left. I managed to get my email from yesterday but logging in through mail2web but still not appearing through either gmail or webmail.iol. guess it may be a big email ive received but dont know how to go about clearing it now. I have my gmail account alright but it was always a handy one for other purposes. pity

just deleted my email details above too :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

You could use the + trick with gmail so say your gmail address was

johnny_adidas[at]gmail.com you could use

johnny_adidas+amazon[at]gmail.com

then you can filter that one into a folder / label within gmail.

you can also use dots etc... so sending an email to

j.o.h.n.n.y_a.d.i.d.a.s[at]gmail.com

will still reach you.

cool, thats a handy tip. cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭DannyBuoy

I've an iol.ie account and its working away the finest..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 JohnDawson

You can't set up a new IOL e-mail any more; perhaps existing ones still work

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

I have an iol email for the last 10 years at least however I just noticed that I havent received anything into it via gmail in some time today. When I logged in via webmail.iol.ie, I noticed that there are no emails there back to last year, although I know I have received ones through gmail. Im waiting on some receipts as I always use this account for purchases. There is plenty of space for new emails, approx 6mb (might delete everything just to see if a large email is clogging it up). I have sent a test email to it but got bounced back as follows

A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:

[email]xxxxx[/email]
    local delivery failed

[email]xxxxxx[/email]

procmail: Quota exceeded while writing "/iol/home/m/xxxxxx/Maildir/tmp/1343983526.26601_0.hub03.mail.esat.net"

I had exactly the same problem this week :eek:
    Been using my iol email add since 1996 without much problems.
    People were sending me stuff this week and i wasnt getting them.
    I even sent myself a few little videos etc to see could i get them , no joy :confused:

Go to

http://webmail.iol.ie/cgi-bin/cwmail.cgi enter your username and password .

Click on "Mail Folders " a couple if times ( there was nothing showing in mine either) i mean it was READING EMPTY until i clicked around a few times and voila a million of emails going back to LAST YEAR appeared out of nowhere in my INBOX........deleted everything and now my mail is back to normal ....Hope it helps you , sorry , its late ,im half asleep :p

EDIT ....Log in and Out a few times also each time you delte stuff to "refresh " everything ;-)

Regards
    Stargate

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

[email]xxxxx[/email]
    local delivery failed

[email]xxxxxx[/email]

Did you have any luck ?

Sorry, only saw the replies now. Think I managed to sort it out using mail to web and deleting everything that was there. seems to be working away anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Lockster

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but just from this morning I can't connect to the incoming server for my iol.ie email address. This is happening on both my home pc and iphone. I've not changed anything in my settings it's just not connecting to the incoming server.

We've recently changed broadband provider from Vodafone to Sky, but the incoming messages were still working and I was using gmail servers for outgoing mail with no problems.

I've logged on to the web app and there were a couple of new messages but I'd usually have more in that time period.

Anyone else having problems with iol mail today?

Thanks for the help.

• Advertisement

Yeah it's down for me too. The POP3 server is rejecting the password.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Lockster wrote: »
    Anyone else having problems with iol mail today?

Yep, no joy here wither (IOL Gold account).

Might be a temporary hickup. But IOL is pretty much dead so I wouldn't be too surprised if BT is pulling the plug for good.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 tom_in_cork

Yeah, down for me too today, looking for password. Intermittent, am hoping it will get sorted. I think I need a different email address :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭nelly17

try....
    telnet pop.iol.ie 110
    From a command prompt - this will let you know if you're actually hitting the server

telnet pop.iol.ie 110
    Connected to pop.iol.ie.
    Escape character is '^]'.
    +OK Dovecot ready.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Happy Dave

I only use Iol for very little but i still get a few emails aday in to it. has the service been finally closed?

huh?
    where do I put the telnet etc?

nelly17 wrote: »
    try....
    telnet pop.iol.ie 110
    From a command prompt - this will let you know if you're actually hitting the server

telnet pop.iol.ie 110
    Connected to pop.iol.ie.
    Escape character is '^]'.
    +OK Dovecot ready.

I got that exact response from Telnet. It's certainly hitting the server, it's just that the server is acting as if the password is incorrect.

If it really is gone it's no big deal, I just kept using it because I wasn't getting any spam.

EDIT: It's just the POP3 server. Still works via IMAP.

seems to be running again.
    I (stupidly) use it for a good few logons etc
    Think it's time to change. Had it so long I get used to it
    and even like the ms outlook format.
    Bit of a luddite sometimes :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Duzzie

My iol account has just kicked into life and has started downloading emails. Hopefully just a temp glitch

And now the POP3 is working too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Went down for me last night. I thought it may have been because I changed my settings as I wanted to change back from a Sky email address. I replaced the Sky settings with Gmail settings and Outlook would not work from about 11.00pm on. The test email only worked. However all is well again, I think. At least I got emails an hour ago.

On a sidenote, for anyone intending to sign up with Sky, now that they are well into providing broadband here, DONT !!!! THey are shifting their Email operations to Yahoo. This means they are giving all their customers details to a third party. Plenty of complaints on other forums. This means Yahoo will be taking over the Email addresses of all Sky customers who have one. Also means that you will be bombarded with Yahoo advertising:eek:. A much bigger problem in the UK than here, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

Just continuing from what you said about Yahoo there, has anyone ever had an issue with sending mail to a Yahoo address? It hasn't happened as much to me recently, but in the past it has occurred that if I send a message to one of their accounts, very soon afterwards I would receive a Delivery Status Notification: Failure e-mail. I have never really understood why this is, but I just accepted it after a while, and opted to contact people by the phone or social media where possible. But now that I see they are taking on Sky's load, I said I would voice my grievances.

sigh
    iol gone down again

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Duzzie

sigh
    iol gone down again

Mine too. Tried to log on through the webmail portal and got:
    We seem to be experiencing some Technical Difficulties.
    The System Administrators have been automatically notified of this problem and will resolve it as soon as possible.

back up again
    i think they are just teasing us :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Lockster

Seems like its down again

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Happy Dave

time to shut it down i think.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Exactly. Would ye not view these glitches as a hint to update your email addresses on anything that still has them? Surely it would be a more productive use of your time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Of course I don't rely on IOL... I only keep it alive for sentimental reasons. ;)

Working again, btw, at least for now.

• Advertisement

Down again.

Advertisement