Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

London 2012 Daily Diary

Options
  • 25-07-2012 11:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,156 ✭✭✭✭

This thread will try and keep people informed as to what’s happening each day at the games. We’ll give a full detailed timetable for all Irish athletes the night before they compete as well as giving an overview of any stars or stories that we think deserve highlighting. Dan and myself will be doing the previews but please feel free to post anything you believe is noteworthy

WEDNESDAY – JULY 25
    Team Ireland
    None in action, and no draws related to their competions are scheduled

Whats happening today then?
    The Olympics, literally, kicks off when the GB women’s football team take on their New Zealand counterpart in Cardiff’s millennium stadium at 4pm today. An hour later the first action on English soil sees medal hopes Japan play Canada in Coventry’s RICOH Arena. The stadium has been renamed ‘City of Coventry Stadium’ due to Olympic sponsorship regulations. Both events are double headers with Cameroon/Brazil the second game in Cardiff and Sweden/South Africa in Coventry

This is 5th time women have competed at football and the USA have won 3 of the 4 gold medals on offer. They lost the 2000 final to Norway. Brazil, in action today, have lost the last 2 finals and with the world’s best player Marta in their side, they’ll be hoping to go one better. Marta is to the women’s game what Messi is to the men’s and there’s no end to compilations like this on youtube

Let’s hope we’ve an entertaining start to the 2012 Summer Games!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,498 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

The soccer action is on bbc1 from 15:30 to 18:00 and then again on bbc3 from 19:00 to 21:00

• Site Banned Posts: 4,066 ✭✭✭Silvio.Dante

Thank you Dodge. This will be invaluable to me and I'm sure many more who will be trying to keep track of everyone competing...:)

I wonder who they'll get to light the Flame on Friday night...

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Jamie OD

The media kept throwing around the idea of David Beckham getting that role to make up for him being excluded from the British football team. However, it was confirmed it won't be him.

Thank good ness for that. Steve Redgrave is being named in a few circles. I'm not sure though...

• Advertisement

Dodge, Dan - Is the plan to have a new daily thread for each day? Considering how this olympics is time friendly for us Irish I imagine that there will be a large amount of posts and could be difficult to locate the always useful 'diary' post if everything is on the one thread.

My suggestion would be a new thread for each day.

Great work as always

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭nucker

Oh phew!!! Sorry for those who like Beckham, but I personally think he is overrated. He is popular but that doesn't mean he should light the cauldron. I don't think it should be a person who has already had lit it, there are rumours abound its Muhammad Ali.

Quite the boo-boo on day 1. North Korean womens soccer team walked off the pitch before the start of their match tonight when officials mistakenly used the South Korean flag on the big screen showing the teams before the match started

Fixtures, times and venues for tomorrows Men's Soccer matches

Honduras–Morocco (Glasgow, 12.00)
    Mexico–Korea Republic (Newcastle, 14.30)
    Spain–Japan (Glasgow, 14.45)
    United Arab Emirates–Uruguay (Manchester, 17.00)
    Gabon–Switzerland (Newcastle, 17.15)
    Belarus–New Zealand (Coventry, 19.45)
    Brazil–Egypt (Cardiff, 19.45)
    Great Britain–Senegal (Manchester, 20.00)

nucker wrote: »
    Oh phew!!! Sorry for those who like Beckham, but I personally think he is overrated. He is popular but that doesn't mean he should light the cauldron. I don't think it should be a person who has already had lit it, there are rumours abound its Muhammad Ali.

That would be fantastic. I remmeber when he lit it in Atlanta and there wasn't a dry eye in the house...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,156 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

THURSDAY – JULY 26
    Team Ireland
    None in action, and no draws related to their competions are scheduled. Joe Ward is taking his case to CAS though

Men's football today. 8 games spread throughout the day with Morocco and Honduras kicking off at 12 all the way through to GB and Senegal at 8pm

Men's football is the only sport that places age restrictions on competitors as teams are made up of Under 23s (with 3 over age players allowed). Spain as the dominant force in world football will be hoping to add Olympic gold (they won in 1992). Their squad contains 3 of the team that won recent Euros.  Brazil' teams looks strongest on paper though with players like Thiago Silva, Pato, Hulk and the exciting Neymar.

For many though Team GB maybe the biggest story. Due to the fractious nature of British football, GB haven't attempted to qualify for the Olympics in the professional era. The squad make up was subject of much media discussion as at first the IFA, WFA and SFA refused to deal with English FA. In the end no Scots or Northern Irishmen were selected. Welshman Ryan Giggs captains side in what will be his only international tournament

• Registered Users Posts: 3,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dan man

Irish judoka Lisa Kearney has received the best draw possible it would seem in the - 48kg judo division. She has been given a bye through to the last 16 and in the last 16 she faces a difficult but beatable opponent, Shugen Wu of China.

Dodge wrote: »

Men's football is the only sport that places age restrictions on competitors as teams are made up of Under 23s (with 3 over age players allowed).

Boxing has an upper age limit of 34 years of age. By the way look out for the boxing draw tomorrow, commences at 2pm. Let's hope for a good outcome for our boxers.

KevIRL wrote: »
    Quite the boo-boo on day 1. North Korean womens soccer team walked off the pitch before the start of their match tonight when officials mistakenly used the South Korean flag on the big screen showing the teams before the match started

I believe NK and SK have been drawn in one of the TableTennis competitions...:)

That would be fantastic. I remmeber when he lit it in Atlanta and there wasn't a dry eye in the house...

But lighting the cauldron goes to only one person per game. I am sure there are just as deserving people to light it

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

But lighting the cauldron goes to only one person per game. I am sure there are just as deserving people to light it

Apparently bookies have stopped taking bets on Roger Bannister being the one to light it. I think it'll be a real shame if it's not Redgrave, who is surely GB's greatest Olympian ever?

No Irish involved in the tennis, but the draws were made today. Federer has once again paid someone off for this draw ;)

Men:
    http://2012.itftennis.com/olympics/results/men's-singles.aspx
    Women:
    http://2012.itftennis.com/olympics/results/women's-singles.aspx
    Men's Doubles:
    http://2012.itftennis.com/olympics/results/men's-doubles.aspx
    Women's Doubles:
    http://2012.itftennis.com/olympics/results/women's-doubles.aspx
    Mixed Doubles:
    Takes place on July 31st

Redgrave does nothing for me on an emotional level.

Also he'd be relatively unknown outside of the UK. He's not a 'Stellar name'.

Bannister is an iconic name and it would be a good choice in my view...:)

Denis Lynch is launching an appeal against his exclusion from the Olympic show jumping team.
    http://www.rte.ie/sport/olympics/equestrian/2012/0726/330742-lynch-launches-cas-appeal/

Grainne Murphy pulls out of 400m IM to concentrate on freestyle events.
    http://www.rte.ie/sport/olympics/swimming/2012/0726/330744-murphy-out-of-400m-im-at-london-2012/

The show jumping thing really annoys me. They pull one guy out for possibly drugging his horse and replace him with a guy who got his medals taken off him for drugging his horse. I'll find it hard to get behind any of them at this rate.

I have a strange hunch that Paul McCartney is the one lighting the cauldron.....don't know who he is (only joking)

I have a strange hunch that Paul McCartney is the one lighting the cauldron.....don't know who he is (only joking)

Ken Dodd's ugly brother...? :D

He won't be lighting the flame but will be leding the musical end of it I hear...:)

• Advertisement

Ken Dodd's ugly brother...? :D

He won't be lighting the flame but will be leding the musical end of it I hear...:)

:D Personally in the last few years, McCartney has really got on my nerves, he has put himself at every opportunity into the limelight where most people his age including celebrities has wanted to avoid it. I want to see someone who is less well known who has done something beyond the line of duty

Apart from the opening ceremony tonight there is also individual ranking events in archery today at Lords. No public tickets went on sale for this, nor does it appear like its being televised.

Wonder what goes on at it??? :)

South Korea set a new world record in the ranking stage of the mens team event in archery today

Im dong hyun set a world record also in the mens individual ranking event. Was a s Korean 1,2,3 in that

Boxing weigh ins were this morning. Draws are later today.

Denis Lynch's appeal against his dismissal from the team won't be heard until tomorrow morning. Hope they throw it out. Throw O'Connor out too for all I care.

South Korean sailing coach sent home after being caught drink driving. Greek high jumper failed drug test. Greek triple jumper kicked out for racist tweets. And the games haven't even officially kicked off yet.

Late today. Sorry. HUGE preview coming tonight for the Irish in action on day one though

FRIDAY – JULY 25
    Team Ireland
    None in action. All important boxing draws set for 2pm. News should filter out soon after

Only sport in Archery where we've already seen the first world record of the games as the legally blind Dong Hyun Im scored 699 in qualifying. We'll tabkle archery later in the games but the Koreans are favourites to win in each event

The big even today is the opening ceremony. Dan has gone through the rumoured happenings elsewhere, but its certain to be another extravaganza as London tries to top Beijing. Katie Taylor becomes the frst boxer since Francis Barrett in 1996. Sonia O'Sullivan was the last flag bearer to win a medal in 2000, and Tony Byrne was the last boxer to carry the flag and medal in the same year in 1956

Let the game begin...

SATURDAY JULY 28

Irish team in action

10:00 – Cycling
    Men’s Road Race – Dan Martin (Race Number 137), David McCann (138), Nicolas Roche (139)

10:32 – Three Day Eventing
    Dressage - Michael Ryan with Ballylynch Adventure

11:00 – Gymnastics
    Floor Exercise – Rotation 1, 4th in order – Kieran Behan
    Vault Exercise – Rotation 4, 1st in order – Kieran Behan`

11:01 - Judo
    Extra Lightweight - Round of 16 – Lisa Kearney v Shugen Wu (China)
    Quarter finals - from 11.50 continue until semis end at 14:30. Final at 16:00

11:58 – Swimming
    Men’s 100m breast - Heat 4, lane 8 – Barry Murphy

12:54 – Three Day Eventing
    Dressage – Aoife Clarke with Master Crusade

14:15 – Boxing
    Bantamweight – Round of 32 – John Joe Nevin v Dennis Ceylan (Denmark)

15:15 – Boxing
    Middleweight – Round of 32 – Darren O’Neill v Muideen Akanji (Nigeria)

16:04 – Three Day Eventing
    Dressage – Joseph Murray with Electric Cruise

13:30 – Rowing
    Women’s single sculls – heat 1, lane 6 – Sanita Puspure
    (First 4 qualify for quarters, rest go to repechage – 6 in heat)

20:30 – Swimming - (if qualified)
    Men’s 100m breast – semi final – Barry Murphy

Thank you Dodge. I just cannot wait. I've got the Beeb on already...:)

Rise and shine everyone...the Olympics are here!

• Advertisement

Off we go and Archery on BBC3.

Lords looking very different to usual

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement