Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Karting General Discussion -All Karting questions in here

Options
  • 23-07-2012 1:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭

Hi I'm wondering if anyone can help me? I'm interested in getting into karting for a Hobbie and was wondering if there's any age limit? I'm 25 and done trails biking for 5 years and now I'm looking for something different!

From what I've came across it doesn't look like anyone races over 18? Any help would be great!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

No idea where you came across that info!
    Mix is usually around 50/50. 50% juniors and 50% seniors, give or take. Senior meaning 18+. As lightning said good few drivers in their 50's and some in their 60's still karting.

This fella in the number 2 kart is well over 18 but still pretty quick ;)

4123225773_ee75a9e504.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭stedabee

Many thanks for the replys, that's great news as I really want to get involved. We're could I get more info on this and do you think it would be good to go to a race meeting and see what's involved? I have around €2,500 to spend on a car and say €1,000 for gear etc. is the maintaince of the cars pricey?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

This is something me and two friends have been talking about. One of them is mad to buy an old car and go racing with that but I think karting would be a much cheaper and better option all round. We're all in our 30s.

We'd be looking at half your budget though. I've seen karts going for around €750.

Best get to a track and start chatting to people. Where are you located? €750 sounds a bit too cheap to me. But I'm also 3,600 miles away. I think I'd budget €1500ish for a good, used kart. The classes that are around today arent a lot of maintenance. I would reccomend either Rotax Max or the Super 4 class. I don't think you'll get a super4 for €1500 though so really you are left with Max or KZ as your choice for kart. KZ (gearbox) is not a good idea starting out.

Expenses wise you will want to factor in travel and accommodation costs. Testing and race fees. To get started off you can run throwaways for tyres so they dont have to cost much if anything at all. Can of good chain lube (xermaic is my fave), oil (racing two stroke oil) to mix with the petrol for the kart. Then some money for stuff like chains and sprockets. They last a good while but a trip off the track can ruin them pretty quick if you are unlucky. Of course you'll need suit, helmet, gloves and boots with ankle protection. Other things that come in useful are jets for the carb (adjust according to air density), onboard laptimer/data acqusition system, wet tyres on rims, rib vest/protector. The more of these you can get bundled with your kart the better.

All totally doable on the budget you outlined though. Take a spin out to Tullyallen (whiteriver park) and have a chat with the folks there. Be warned though, once you start racing you mightn't want to stop!

Best get to a track and start chatting to people. Where are you located?
    I'm in Galway so my nearest track is Tynagh, I'm not sure how they cater for pro level karting I've gone there twice to do the GP season with a group of friends.
    Of course you'll need suit, helmet, gloves and boots with ankle protection.
    As there's 3 of us in it I suppose we'll each need a helmet and suit, I assume the rest can be used by all of us. How much would a suit and helmet cost?
    All totally doable on the budget you outlined though. Take a spin out to Tullyallen (whiteriver park) and have a chat with the folks there. Be warned though, once you start racing you mightn't want to stop!
    I'm already addicted to kart race pro the karting simulator. I don't know whether it's just a good sim but it's easily one of the more enjoyable racing sims I've played so far and I've just spent most of my time on it in testing mode.

• Advertisement

Tynagh\Pallas Karting is one of the best. Czech out this oldschool stuff.

Had some great races there in FA back in the day. I took a look on irishkarting.com and they have an MI round on in September 30th. Call the track and see if they have non national races that you can stop by and chat to people at.

Suit wise, kart suits are different to cars. You cannot use a nomex/car suit for karting at least not under MI. Kart suits are abrasion resistant, car suits are not. Depending on your head sizes you might be able to share a helmet too. I'd say you could score a used suit for 100quid handy enough, just check with whatever club you plan racing with to see if they require a certain homologation date/year before you hand over any dough.

Think I might need to type out a "Souper's Guide to Starting Karting" sometime....

Think I might need to type out a "Souper's Guide to Starting Karting" sometime....
    That would be great! Maybe a guide on racing for beginners, what's the cheapest way to get into racing. Reading around on karting "to win championships" I've heard of people spending €30,000 euro and others saying it would be cheaper to get into racing actual cars rather than karts.

I think there may be a bit of a stigma around karting though, that it's just for kids or maybe it's to hard for older people to get anywhere in it. I certainly wouldn't be all that competitive weighing 90kg. But I can get just as much enjoyment from beating personal bests and just getting faster. Racing can confuse me and I chase the car in front rather than race the track.

Buddy of mine weighs 90KG was was running top three at Tullyallen a couple of weekends ago on his €1500 Rotax Max that he pulled out of the back of his Mondeo and slapped it on the track. It can be done, don't listen to the begrudgers! Just because someone else wants to or can spend €20K or more doesn't mean you have to. Back when I raced FA there were stories of some guys spending 60K+ (Punts), but there were also racing on the continent too and that pushed the budget up big time. There are minumim weight limits for the classes so its not a case of "johnnymc20kilios" running away with the race. There are usually heavier classes for more, err, "statured" drivers too.

For sure there's a stigma with the size and age for karts, but at the end of the day its hard to find anything that for the money is....

As fast
    Offers as many places to race
    Is as easy to transport
    Is as competitive (many top drivers come back to karts and stay there)

Age is only one factor. There's guys over here that are quick in their 40's and 50's and some in their 20's that are slower than guys in their 60's LOL.

(Said in my best Mike Strutter Voice) My advise to anyone considering karting is simple...
    1) Buy a kart.
    2) Do it.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,449 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Wish I hasn't read this! Now I'm thinking of taking up Karting!

antodeco wrote: »

See my advise above. Two simple steps!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,449 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

antodeco wrote: »

See my advise above. Two simple steps!

I know. That's the issue! :D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Tynagh\Pallas Karting is one of the best. Czech out this oldschool stuff.

Had some great races there in FA back in the day. I took a look on irishkarting.com and they have an MI round on in September 30th. Call the track and see if they have non national races that you can stop by and chat to people at.
    Memory lane again there Souper. Broken chains wasn't it for Niall and Gary Coby?

Robbo wrote: »
    Memory lane again there Souper. Broken chains wasn't it for Niall and Gary Coby?

Yeah both threw chains. Not sure what it was about the track back then but its seemed to be hard on chains. Its changed a fair bit since then though.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Yeah both threw chains. Not sure what it was about the track back then but its seemed to be hard on chains. Its changed a fair bit since then though.
    If memory serves, you'd be using all the concrete runoff at the 180 before the main straight to get a good run. The runoff was a bit lower than the main track so I'd imagine the chain could have taken a whack. I think it even happened to me.

Must have been some height differential too as you would have been using maybe a 72 or 74 sprocket?

When we did the GP session at Tynagh one of their own karts popped a chain on one of the lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Thread hijack: Coverage of Irish Karting Championship is shown on Setanta Ireland at 11am tomorrow morning. Might have a peek at it after F1 FP3.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 mick993

Karting is a relatively cheap form of Motorsport. But if you're thinking of getting into it, just don't jump at the first kart you see sub €1500.
    There are some genuine bargains out there, but there's also lots of "manure"

Tullyallen karting seems to be the best place to have cheap fun with a kart. They run a Summer & Winter race series, with normally 35 or so seniors entered each race day, spread over 3 classes. They also have bambinos & cadets, along with juniors & super pro classes.

The next race is in Athboy on 12th August. Why not come along to get an idea before you jump & buy something.

Mick made a good point, there are good karts for 1500, but that doesn't necessarily mean that a 1500 kart is a good one.

Robbo I remember hopping many a chain off going over the original kerbs. The kerbs in the first turn used to be brilliant, you could hold it on two wheels nearly all the way to the second turn. Then they ground the kerbs down :( Used to love hopping over the original one's with the rusty but trusty '94 CRG. I think what would happen too was the cement dust from the kerbs would dry up a lot of the chain lube.

Here's a quick vid of some of the junior classes earlier this year... http://vimeo.com/41321933

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

mick993 wrote: »
    Tullyallen karting seems to be the best place to have cheap fun with a kart. They run a Summer & Winter race series, with normally 35 or so seniors entered each race day, spread over 3 classes. They also have bambinos & cadets, along with juniors & super pro classes.

Are the engines in the Rotax class sealed, like the MSI? I've heard good thinks about Tullyallen, I'm interested in starting out, I've lots of experience with spannering on 2stroke motocross bikes anyways, and would be on a shoestring budget so having to send off the engines is a pain in the hole!

Timmaay wrote: »
    Are the engines in the Rotax class sealed, like the MSI? I've heard good thinks about Tullyallen, I'm interested in starting out, I've lots of experience with spannering on 2stroke motocross bikes anyways, and would be on a shoestring budget so having to send off the engines is a pain in the hole!

Yeah the engines are sealed for points & podium places to be given out.
    You could run an un-sealed engine just for "fun" as one or two guys do.

The seals are normally insisted upon to prevent fettling of the engines to give unfair advantage as can happen I'm sure you are aware.

Some classes aren't sealed either way such as KZ (gearbox) & KF3

Next race is in Athboy on 12th August, why not drop over for a look?

• Advertisement

Many thanks supercomputer! Great advise, I'm searousily considering this as I miss having a Hobbie, I would be willing to go as high as 4k to get a good car and gear, would a kart fit into the back of a range rover or would you need a trailer? I'll be doing this on my own and I'm wondering are all the others that do it friendly, wouldn't want to be sitting there each race day chatting to no one haha!

What do you think is the next step for me? Should I go to a race meeting? How do I decide what class or car I get? I'm 25 weight 100kg mostly muscle haha! Also is it your choice to have a kart with gears?

Buddy of mine weighs 90KG was was running top three at Tullyallen a couple of weekends ago on his €1500 Rotax Max that he pulled out of the back of his Mondeo and slapped it on the track. It can be done, don't listen to the begrudgers! Just because someone else wants to or can spend €20K or more doesn't mean you have to. Back when I raced FA there were stories of some guys spending 60K+ (Punts), but there were also racing on the continent too and that pushed the budget up big time. There are minumim weight limits for the classes so its not a case of "johnnymc20kilios" running away with the race. There are usually heavier classes for more, err, "statured" drivers too.

For sure there's a stigma with the size and age for karts, but at the end of the day its hard to find anything that for the money is....

As fast
    Offers as many places to race
    Is as easy to transport
    Is as competitive (many top drivers come back to karts and stay there)

Age is only one factor. There's guys over here that are quick in their 40's and 50's and some in their 20's that are slower than guys in their 60's LOL.

(Said in my best Mike Strutter Voice) My advise to anyone considering karting is simple...
    1) Buy a kart.
    2) Do it.

I would be willing to go as high as 4k to get a good car and gear, would a kart fit into the back of a range rover or would you need a trailer?

That's a decent budget I would say, however be sure to put test & race fees, fuel, accomodation and soforth in there as well. Here's an excel sheet you can use to help: http://www.overt.ie/files/racing/Budget%20Spreadsheet%20blank%20.xls

I recon a range rover would be fine, I've shoved mine in the back of a V70 after pulling the wheels and a sidepod off it and you can shove one into a Mondeo too it seems. Trailer can be handy alright, but its not a necessity.
    I'll be doing this on my own and I'm wondering are all the others that do it friendly, wouldn't want to be sitting there each race day chatting to no one haha!

Usually plenty of people to help you at the track. Be sure to let people and the club know you are new so they can keep an eye out for you. Don't be afraid to ask for help.
    What do you think is the next step for me? Should I go to a race meeting? How do I decide what class or car I get? I'm 25 weight 100kg mostly muscle haha!
    Yep, get to a race and talk to some people. Even with all that muscle I gurantee you'll find muscles you never knew you had when you start kart racing, Your weight might influence the class you run too. But I wouldn't make a no-go decision based on your current weight.
    Also is it your choice to have a kart with gears?
    I race a KZ2 gearbox and I have non-gearbox kart that I try to get out in whenever I can afford it. That said, I wouldn't reccomend a gearbox kart unless you have previous motorsport experience. Even Schumacher ended up in the weeds when he got into one a few years ago. Initially at least stick with the non-gearbox classes: Rotax Max, Superpro or Bilands and go from there, or indeed stay there as many do.

I'll suggest to anybody thinking of buying a race kart that maybe the best thing to do is to come along to a race first, introduce yourself and get an idea of what it would be like.
    Almost everybody will help you out and it's like a family fun day as we have everything from Bambinos to Grandads out racing.
    I often let people out in one of my karts (FOC) just to get a feel for things and am happy to advise on what safety equipment is needed etc and likely costs incurred.
    100kg wouldn't be a barrier (I'm more myself & I'm not the biggest guy racing)

Next race day.
    Athboy 12th Aug
    Probably, Kart City, Santry 26th August.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭KylieWyley

I race in a class called Super4 (previously called Biland but we now also run with Swiss Auto). I'm 24 and I'm actually one of the youngest in the class. There are a few second-hand Bilands floating about for sale. The Swiss Autos are newer and so are harder to come by second hand. Prices range from €1500 - €3000 for a second-hand Biland/Swiss Auto.

We're racing this Sunday in Kiltorcan, Kilkenny. It's a round of the national championship and there'll be lots of classes racing. The best thing to do is come down, see what it's all about and ask lots of questions!

You can find out more info here:
    www.irishkarting.com

KylieWyley is that price including a chassis or just engine alone?

Yep, get to a race and talk to some people. Even with all that muscle I gurantee you'll find muscles you never knew you had when you start kart racing, Your weight might influence the class you run too. But I wouldn't make a no-go decision based on your current weight.

I race a KZ2 gearbox and I have non-gearbox kart that I try to get out in whenever I can afford it. That said, I wouldn't reccomend a gearbox kart unless you have previous motorsport experience. Even Schumacher ended up in the weeds when he got into one a few years ago. Initially at least stick with the non-gearbox classes: Rotax Max, Superpro or Bilands and go from there, or indeed stay there as many do.

Thanks a mill for all this advise, it's good to hear that classes can depend on weight etc, ye I'll deffo head to a race as soon as I can. Was out with a group of friends at the zone a while ago and my time was 25,678 and the quickest time was 25,300 an that was by my friend who in only 9 1/2 stone which means I was carrying a extra 6 stone more. So annoyed ! Really can't wait to get into this, less drinking at the weekends the liver will be happy haha! I'd say when I jump into a rotax or super I'll be ****ting myself until I get use to it as I'm use to the little slow ones in the zone and kylmore!

KylieWyley wrote: »
    I race in a class called Super4 (previously called Biland but we now also run with Swiss Auto). I'm 24 and I'm actually one of the youngest in the class. There are a few second-hand Bilands floating about for sale. The Swiss Autos are newer and so are harder to come by second hand. Prices range from €1500 - €3000 for a second-hand Biland/Swiss Auto.

We're racing this Sunday in Kiltorcan, Kilkenny. It's a round of the national championship and there'll be lots of classes racing. The best thing to do is come down, see what it's all about and ask lots of questions!

You can find out more info here:
    www.irishkarting.com

No way I'm actually in kilkenny at the mo and will be here for a while, what time would be best to head up?

mick993 wrote: »
    I'll suggest to anybody thinking of buying a race kart that maybe the best thing to do is to come along to a race first, introduce yourself and get an idea of what it would be like.
    Almost everybody will help you out and it's like a family fun day as we have everything from Bambinos to Grandads out racing.
    I often let people out in one of my karts (FOC) just to get a feel for things and am happy to advise on what safety equipment is needed etc and likely costs incurred.
    100kg wouldn't be a barrier (I'm more myself & I'm not the biggest guy racing)

Next race day.
    Athboy 12th Aug
    Probably, Kart City, Santry 26th August.

Hi mick

Cheers for the reply, never know I might be racing against you soon enough ha! Ye I'll deffo take a trip out to a race meeting as soon as, might try get to Kilkenny this week and if not I'll get to santry as I live in Dublin!

stedabee wrote: »
    No way I'm actually in kilkenny at the mo and will be here for a while, what time would be best to head up?

It'll be on all day. We have 2 heats in the morning and 2 finals in the afternoon. Racing usually runs from about 10am - 4pm(ish) with a break at lunch time. Come along whenever suits !

Most people are quite friendly and happy to explain what you need to do to get started. I run a 4-stroke Biland and work from a trailer hitched to a Honda HR-V. Feel free to say hello if you see me :)

• Advertisement

KylieWyley is that price including a chassis or just engine alone?

Price range quoted is for a 2nd hand ready-to-race package - chassis and engine. (Of course, you could spend that alone on a brand new Swiss Auto engine). The lower end of that price scale would net you a decent Biland running on Saxon chassis. There are Bilands gathering dust across garages in Ireland, either because people don't have the time or money to race. These are still competitive (last years champion ran with this setup). However, our regs permit any chassis so some of the lads are beginning to try out different chassis.

The Swiss Autos are on the higher end of that price scale and they only pop up on the second-hand market in the UK from time to time. The Swiss Autos actually have more power when taken directly off the shelf but the Super4s running with Swiss Autos use a restrictor and, as a result, the performance level with the Biland is actually very even.

Advertisement