Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New route for Rebel Tour 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭guym

GT_TDI_150 wrote: »
    Saw a woman register for 5 people, so no prob there id say ....

Great....thanks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

You must have been within a few people of me this evening :eek: :)
    Masala wrote: »
    Anyone know what fitting the jersey is.... will there be an opportunity to try the various size before walking away with a wrong size???

I was informed by the gent giving out the jerseys that if I wanted to try the jersey on or even swap mine for a different size, it would be no bother :) The volunteers there today were lovely & helpful I must say!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

kerry4sam wrote: »

You must have been within a few people of me this evening :eek: :)
    Masala wrote: »
    Anyone know what fitting the jersey is.... will there be an opportunity to try the various size before walking away with a wrong size???

I was informed by the gent giving out the jerseys that if I wanted to try the jersey on or even swap mine for a different size, it would be no bother :) The volunteers there today were lovely & helpful I must say!
    If you were the lady taking a call in relation to the size of the jerseys then i was right behind ya :)

I have to second the sentiment in relation to the volunteers ... bodes well for the actual event if the remainder of them are like the few encountered today

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

+2 for the volunteers at the sign-on today. Signed-on, goodie bag and jersey sorted within 3 minutes of stepping in the door.

The jerseys are a bit on the large size compared to the SKT jersey so you might have to go one size down. Unless you've arms like a cage fighter (or have a fine set of bingo-wings) the sleeves might be a little loose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭v6e5qzawyrc3jn

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Frere Jacques

I'm a 5' 10" dude, 13.5 stone. I think the L Jerseys are a good fit. I would be wary of going a size smaller. I'd agree that you need the cage fighter arms to do the sleeves justice, they are a little looser than other jerseys but more like a well fitted Tshirt, than something you would be lost in. Maybe if you were borderline M/L then drop to M.
    Hats off to the organisers. Top notch. The chocy was nice. I had to eat it before the wife found it in the morning. I was thinking of her, honest.
    Agree with Roger, the man handing out the bags said it was capped at 1700. Should be great craic. Roads will be open but down there in September we shouldn't be too bad.
    Enjoy everyone. I snuck in a quick 40k after collecting my stuff. Once I can tack on a measly 120 onto the end of that I'm laughing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭nilhg

I'm knackered and I just washed and lubed the bike, don't know what I'm going to be like if I have to cycle it 160km:eek:

Heading down in the AM, will register in the hotel tomorrow evening before heading off for a feed of beer good nights sleep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

If you're desparate for company, you can fall in with me and my rubbish domestique.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭dvntie

Doing the 85km myself, on my Todd unfortunately, if I come across any boards jerseys I'll give ye a shout!

Does anyone know (from other events I guess, this is my first) that if the sizes available are limited can they be ordered subsequently? Would hate to arrive for reg. and size not be available, and have to take one in the wrong size.

Really looking forward to this, yr.no suggesting damp weather, hope it stays dry, or at the least light rain!
    If you're desparate for company, you can fall in with me and my rubbish domestique.
    I'll see ya there then

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

looking forward to the pain tomorrow, worst of the pulls wont be healt or caha pass but road from castletown to allihies to eyeries, short sharp pulls - forgot how bad they were when i signed upto the 160

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Best of Luck to everyone cycling tomorrow, especially to my own Manager cyling the 160km. Hope you don't pass me while I am doing my 85km :o

Thanks in advance also to all of the Volunteers! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭AaronB

all loaded up and ready to go ,weather isnt looking too bad for the day. enjoy everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭andy69

Just rolled in there from the 85k at about 1:20pm, the lead car let a small group of us ride through at the halfway foodstop. That was a great course, really enjoyed it...the Healy pass was amazing. Stunning scenery! Well done to all the Marshalls, great job out there guys!
    Came in a bit early to the finish as they timed the food etc on the lead car so will head back into town now for the grub ;-)
    Great venue for the tour - lovely town and they're going all out, with music in the pubs and street an all.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭dvntie

andy69 wrote: »
    Just rolled in there from the 85k at about 1:20pm, the lead car let a small group of us ride through at the halfway foodstop. That was a great course, really enjoyed it...the Healy pass was amazing. Stunning scenery! Well done to all the Marshalls, great job out there guys!
    Came in a bit early to the finish as they timed the food etc on the lead car so will head back into town now for the grub ;-)
    Great venue for the tour - lovely town and they're going all out, with music in the pubs and street an all.
    +1
    Rolled in about 20 min after ya and atmosphere was great tough course too legs are well shot
    Cheers to corkladd for the company too
    I'll be back next yr with a lot more kms in the legs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Nice event. Seems well organised with a lot of support vehicles/motorbikes etc.

I did about 120km - cycled over from Kenmare to do the 85km route. Just an amazing amount of cyclists on these roads.
    It was a pity that the weather was typical of the region.

Heading over the Caha passthis morning at about 9 on my way to Glengariff I was worried that I missed the start such was the steady stream of cyclists coming the other way. Rolled into Glengariff about 915 and bumped into Lescol. Stayed together for much of the climb back up the Caha pass.
    Hooked up with a bigh Dungarvan plus other train all the way to the base of the next climb at Tousist. Then onto the Healy Pass.

I thought there was supposed to be a water stop at that stage and I was out of fluid.
    Got to feed station at Adrigole and the turned left for Glengariff as most others turned right for the ring.

Got back about 1215. Collected by wife and made it back home in time to take the kids to the cinema.

All in all a good day. Great to see such a large number of cyclists on roads that I would have too myself usually. I hope that ye enjoyed Beara and are encouraged to come back. IMHO it is the best cycling in the country.

There was no food station at the finish which was disappointing. However there was a mobile pizza van up by the graveyard where I had a fantastic slice of pizza.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Did the 85km and crossed finish line at 2:40pm. Averaged 25km/hour which for me is excellent on my very old Trek hybrid.

The last 300m on top of Healy Pass is the hardest thing I ever did on a bike. Was very tempted to get off and push but didn't. Closed eyes, cursed a lot and eventually made it to the top.

Hats off to anyone who did the 160 as that is a tough cycle.

Great day out, well organized but the stunning scenery stole the show. We really do live in a beautiful country!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Max_Charger

Couldn't make it out today because i was moving house, gutted because i'll never be nearer to the start of a sportive! Congrats to every involved today and those who took part,sounds like it was a very well run event. As a matter of interest, did they fill in the potholes or did they just leave them there with a warning painted on the ground?

Oooh, i found that 85km way tougher than the SKT100 ...

I need to
    a.) loose weight (lugging 15st5 up those climbs :( )
    b.) do much more training of the ascending variety

The 2 will help each other really!

Oh, and a huge thanks to the owners of all the wheels i sucked - and there were many!

And finally an even huger thanks to the marshalls and volunteers - ye all did s mighty job!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,865 ✭✭✭Soarer

You mean it was the organisers that did that?

Brilliant solution. The council would want a kick up the hole!

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭henboy

did this to day , great route . Well worth the trek from Waterford . We did the 160km well organised .

Hope it goes from strength to strength ...

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭vistafinder

Soarer wrote: »
    You mean it was the organisers that did that?

Brilliant solution. The council would want a kick up the hole!

Keep the council away from them FFS i have seen some bad pot holes around the west cork area but when the council (fix) them they make them worse honest to god. Cowboys, They should be forced to cycle the roads they (fix) on steel rims:pac:. Anyway back to the rebel tour 10 out of 10 from me tough route great organisation and who ever decided to move it to Glengarrif deserves big kudos the place is perfect for it lots of parking and space and effort by the people of Glengarrif who looked happy to have us there. Did I mention the route. I agree with ROK ON its a great area for cycling. Could well be my new fav sportive.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭vistafinder

Big thanks to all the volenteers aswell every dangerous corner there was a marshel on the 160 route great work.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭andy69

Fair play to the 160k lads and lasses - we were cheering yee in, from the comfort of the pub where the music was, as yee were all coming in the road to the finish. The 85 was tough, but how yee did the 160 and twice over Healy Pass? Wow! Respect.

I've done the Meath, burren, skt tours, and I have to say this one has the best buzz in the town. Met a few musicians and played a few tunes in the pub and the atmosphere was just great with everyone cheering in the riders. Might be the Murphys pints talking but this is a great weekend. Will defo be back next year.
    Well done to organisers ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭lescol

Superb event! The route was excellent, marshalling, the volunteers at the stops, the motorbike riders all great, a very friendly event. The second time over the Healy Pass was tough! I really enjoyed the day, even the few showers couldn't detract from it. One of the highlights of the day was passing a guy listening his i-pod at an incredible volume, the track playing...."Chirpy Chirpy Cheep Cheep"! I was smiling for the next few kms!

Arriving back in Glengariff to applause was a great buzz.

Well done to all involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭snottybridge

Great day out,did the 160,it was tough going out around the peninsula but the scenery was something else,well done to all those involved in the organisation and running of this event,great idea to bring it to Glengarrif.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭Sikpupi

Great day... credit to Organisers!!! All the helpers were great sports and very welcoming ... from the young lads helping with parking, the Girls in the Hotel in the morning registering and the Order of Malta lad who, when I asked does he do massages - said that he would '..only you would enjoy it too much..." Aaaahhh the Cork wit!!!

The 85 felt a 'real novice' day out...everyone sounded like they were cursing Healy!!! We, including me, were pushing ourselves to the limit.... in effect this was our 'Everest' moment.

I'll be back next year for defo......and Healy Pass better watch out!!!!!!

Sikky

• Advertisement

Sikpupi wrote: »

The 85 felt a 'real novice' day out...everyone sounded like they were cursing Healy!!! We, including me, were pushing ourselves to the limit.... in effect this was our 'Everest' moment.
    The only other sportive ive ever done was the SKT 100 and this was way harder imo, and i think there in lies the problem people get over confident when they dont find other sportive really though.

I did find the SKT 100 tough and found today gruelling, but finished all the same...

Advertisement