Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** NBA2K12 Online Association League - Xbox 360 **

Options
  • 31-05-2012 10:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭

Firstly, new members are more than welcome. If you want to sign up just read further down the thread for details on how to do so.

Now that we're up and running, this thread has been created under the advice of a couple of league members and has been approved by moderator Mr E.

This thread is to be used for arranging games, post match reports, trade blocks, general banter, any questions people may have, hints and tips etc. Basically it's a thread that will cover everything and anything to do with the league.

So far we have the following members confirmed as joining and taking the following teams (Xbox gamertag in brackets):

Paully D (LargeTacoFries) - Chicago Bulls
    Buyer 95 (conoro127) - New York Knicks
    NTMK (Keary90) - OKC Thunder
    Felexicon (CopperFaceJacks) - LA Lakers
    Liam O (LOK18) - Minnesota Timberwolves
    Mikeyt086 (Mikeyt086) - Boston Celtics
    Raze (pov77) - Milwaukee Bucks
    Browning2010 (GoodManLads) - Miami Heat

There will be a fantasy draft to decide the rosters, this will take place on Wednesday 6th of June at 10:15pm and will be done in a serpentine format. This means the last pick in the first round will be the first pick in the second round and so on. The picks are determined randomly by the CPU so no one knows who will be what number pick until it starts. You have 90 seconds to make your pick and a budget of $90m to use for a total of 12 players. Free agency opens straight after the draft and is basically a free-for-all in which everyone can negotiate to a player and he makes his choice when the day advances. If anyone needs to see an example of a fantasy draft in action then see below:

New Members: As mentioned above, new members are more than welcome. Just post your gamertag and preferred team from the ones remaining and use the details which will be posted further down to join.

How To Join?:

Go to game modes, then online association, then join, then join private association. You'll be asked for a league name and password which are:

League Name: Boards
    Password: boards2k12

It will then ask you which team you want to be, select the one you've chosen and then you're in and ready to go.

Next step is to wait for the draft as mentioned above (Wednesday 6th of June at 10:15pm) and then once that is over the games will start. You can set a draft priority list whilst you're waiting if you want.

Some Rules:
    There will be no CPU trades as I've seen the annoyance it causes in other leagues. This includes both CPU to CPU trading, human to CPU trading and vice-versa. Any sort of trade with the CPU isn't allowed. Trading among fellow human teams is fine but there will be a trade deadline set which is set by the online association itself in line with the real NBA trade deadline.

If you are due to play another human player, it would be preferable if you post availability here on this thread. It's fairer than someone saying they've tried to contact via Xbox Live and haven't got a response. Feel free to contact through as many channels as you want (XBL, PM's etc) as long as you post here too. If 2 players can't find a suitable time to play their game then the game will be simmed by the CPU. Please remember the difficulties that people seem to be experiencing with advancements in online association. As it's the summer people will inevitably be off on holidays at stages too and won't be around to play games. There's an option to play a block of games at one time. In a lengthy season it would be difficult to expect a number of head-to-head games to be completed in order so this gives an opportunity to fit them in within a period of time so this is very helpful.

We are striving to be a sim league, that is to try to play as teams do in the NBA. If you wouldn't see it in the NBA, you probably shouldn’t be seeing it in these league games.

Disconnections etc do happen from time to time but you can only restart a game against the CPU once. If a person is persistently restarting games, banning from the league is possible. This is to avoid people constantly quitting out of games they are losing in order to try and win again.

Treat others how you wish to be treated. Don't run up the score to pad your stats. If people do this then players aren't going to stick around too long and the league as a whole will be worse off.

Above all it's the first time this is being done (that I'm aware of) so there will be a lot of trial and error, especially when experience 2K players are having trouble understanding some of things such as how days are advanced etc so that should be taken into account by all members.

Check in on the Madden forum to see how things are run there. It's a setup that would be great to recreate for NBA2K12 here (except the days advancements are different obviously due to games being played day-to-day in the NBA).

I think that's all for now. If I've forgot something or if anyone has any questions etc then feel free to ask.

Cheers lads! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭raze

Nice one. Looking forward to this working out well.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,075 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Just a few other rules that should be considered imo.

On ball defense imo is a must, you must control the player guarding the one with the ball unless you are looking to intercept or rotating a player over to him. No controlling just the center and letting the CPU do everything for you.

No whoring the superstars. Obviously they will have a huge percentage of your points but when the team has 30 points and he has 25 of them it's overdoing it imo and should be restricted a bit imo.

any thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Browning2010

Gamertag: GoodManLads

Prefered team: Miami Heat

Liam O wrote: »
    Just a few other rules that should be considered imo.

On ball defense imo is a must, you must control the player guarding the one with the ball unless you are looking to intercept or rotating a player over to him. No controlling just the center and letting the CPU do everything for you.

No whoring the superstars. Obviously they will have a huge percentage of your points but when the team has 30 points and he has 25 of them it's overdoing it imo and should be restricted a bit imo.

any thoughts?

I agree in principle with a 'don't be a dick' policy of play - but it's just a guideline. Apart from lead pass into the lane, what are you really going to do if someone hides in the low post on D? Unless there's an option to set the skill level to Pro or lower, in which case the CPU won't do anything particularly useful.

I do hope injuries and fatigue are a factor for OA - which might prevent people from just using superstars to drive the lane every possession.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

raze wrote: »
    I agree in principle with a 'don't be a dick' policy of play - but it's just a guideline. Apart from lead pass into the lane, what are you really going to do if someone hides in the low post on D? Unless there's an option to set the skill level to Pro or lower, in which case the CPU won't do anything particularly useful.

I do hope injuries and fatigue are a factor for OA - which might prevent people from just using superstars to drive the lane every possession.

Injuries are on and fatigue is a factor in every other mode so I'd be surprised if it wasn't in online association.

Maybe it's just me but I find it virtually impossible to drive the line on every possession anyway. I had just come on to post that I find it much harder to do it this year than it was last year. I've been messing around with a few different teams today and I can't say there's been more than a couple of times that I've drove the line and scored easy points, but then again I am awful at the game and regularly lose to the CPU :pac:

• Advertisement

Paully D wrote: »
    Maybe it's just me but I find it virtually impossible to drive the line on every possession anyway. I had just come on to post that I find it much harder to do it this year than it was last year. I've been messing around with a few different teams today and I can't say there's been more than a couple of times that I've drove the line and scored easy points, but then again I am awful at the game and regularly lose to the CPU :pac:

I too am awful at this game - I can defend well enough, right place right time for most stuff. I just can't convert enough on attack because I take what I'm given, rather than what I want.

The CPU doesn't give you much you can punish, in online games most players will be too eager and give you a path to the basket especially if you can run something from the playbook.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,075 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Ok so there's a bit of a problem. I joined the league and when I tried to go back accidentally pressed quit this league instead of going through the menu and it wont let me back in now as you stupidly can't rejoin leagues...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭Carroller

What happens if your not online for the draft?

Carroller wrote: »
    What happens if your not online for the draft?

You can set the order of which players are most important to you - so picks would probably be made automatically for you based on that. Just guessing though.

Results would be unpredictable though - I think 420 players get drafted in the selection.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

Looking forward to this now, i'm hoping for a top ten pick, I will probably take an elite point guard if i can get a top ten. I guess Lebron will go first, it will be interesting to see where Dwight goes, building a team around a centre is difficult in 2k12 in my opinion... This should be fun!

• Advertisement

buyer95 wrote: »
    Looking forward to this now, i'm hoping for a top ten pick, I will probably take an elite point guard if i can get a top ten. I guess Lebron will go first, it will be interesting to see where Dwight goes, building a team around a centre is difficult in 2k12 in my opinion... This should be fun!

I'm kinda hoping for a low pick, 25 or later. With two bites of the cherry in the early rounds you could get two stars, while others are distracted by superstars. I'm actually thinking of going for two small forwards, starter and a bench if the circumstances are right in rounds one and two.

With an early pick you need to go elite because of the 40 selections before your next chance, despite the short gap between second and third rounds.

Liam O wrote: »
    Ok so there's a bit of a problem. I joined the league and when I tried to go back accidentally pressed quit this league instead of going through the menu and it wont let me back in now as you stupidly can't rejoin leagues...

The only solution here is to create a new league. I can't see why 2K12 don't let people re-join leagues, it's ridiculous.

OK, I've created a new league:

League Name: Boards
    Password: boards2k12

Anyone in the other league might as well quit it to avoid confusion. I've deleted it now too so it might remove you all automatically.

Can everyone make sure that when they are exiting the online association mode from now on that they choose the ''logout'' option rather than the ''quit this league'' option!

Also, can everyone try and make sure that they are signed up before around 10pm on Wednesday the 6th if possible as it ensures that people won't miss the draft by rushing to sign up just before it starts. There was only 4 registered so far despite 8 putting their name down so just a reminder.

Those that are unavailable for the draft can set their draft priority list to ensure that the CPU drafts the player highest on the list that is available when their pick comes around. It's worth spending an hour on it in my opinion, as it ensures you'll have some players on your roster that fit your playing style, but it's entirely up to yourself.

Cheers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 55,452 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

OP updated.

OK so the game came today which was rapid considering I only ordered it on Friday.

I'll join up now and get a few practice games in.

Don't know how to join, is Association ID were you put in the password?

If that's the case it won't let me put in letters only numbers?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Don't know how to join, is Association ID were you put in the password?

If that's the case it won't let me put in letters only numbers?

No just leave that blank and press start.
    Then it will get you to chose the league (it was the top one for me)
    It then asks for the password

Just about to join the new OA - but looking to change from the Bucks to the Indiana Pacers. Hope it's okay, they're not selected by anyone else.

Also, even though the original OA was deleted I could still view it yesterday when I quit from it. It seems it's still live, but the draft date is set back a month.

Might still cause some confusion.

Just about to join the new OA - but looking to change from the Bucks to the Indiana Pacers. Hope it's okay, they're not selected by anyone else.

Also, even though the original OA was deleted I could still view it yesterday when I quit from it. It seems it's still live, but the draft date is set back a month.

Might still cause some confusion.

It didn't show for me yesterday so it shouldn't cause confussion.
    I have no problem with you changing teams

No problem on the change of team Raze. The other association isn't showing for me, if it keeps showing for you go to options/load save/delete and delete the online association that DOESN'T have the code 934800 after it.

The following 3 people still have to sign up to the new association:

NTMK (Keary90) - OKC Thunder
    Liam O (LOK18) - Minnesota Timberwolves
    Mikeyt086 (Mikeyt086) - Boston Celtics

Remember lads the draft is tomorrow night at 10:15pm. I'll send PM's to those who haven't signed up now to remind them, although I don't think Mikey has his copy of the game yet.

Does everyone have an idea on how they're going to draft tomorrow then or are you just going to wing it? :)

I know who'd I like but so much depends on draft position.
    I have one or two players I don't think people will go for.

I've started playing with a new camera angle now aswell which should help me

• Advertisement

Felexicon wrote: »
    I know who'd I like but so much depends on draft position.
    I have one or two players I don't think people will go for.

I've started playing with a new camera angle now aswell which should help me

Yeah same here, all depends on draft position really.

The camera angles can help a lot. I generally just used the broadcast one but I've been playing with a couple of different ones lately and quite like the 2K view, seems much better as you can see a lot more of the court which helps for running plays etc.

As a perfect example of how much time I have to waste I've gone into single player to test drive the draft system three times now. My earlier plan of using two picks for SF was a terrible idea. Screw the bench, it's starters or bust.

I have noticed that Dwight goes first pick, so he won't be there if CPU goes first. And you're left with the dregs of point guards if you don't prioritise that position, even in the second round. You could get lucky and pick up Steve Nash, CPU doesn't like him. Nor Serge Ibaka - he sticks around as late as round 8 or 9 bizarrely.

No matter what - a first round superstar is more important than the player you might like. After the draft you'd be surprised how many options you can find to swap your all star centre for other positions.

Also the CPU overstocks on size, so it can be easy to find a Marc Gasol or similar by giving up your third and fourth choice shooting guards.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Just back from Amsterdam now and NBA 2K12 was waiting for me thank god, I'll be on for the draft later!

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Just back from Amsterdam now and NBA 2K12 was waiting for me thank god, I'll be on for the draft later!

The draft is tomorrow mate, just so you know :) You must still be stoned from Amsterdam :pac:

No comment. :pac:

As a perfect example of how much time I have to waste I've gone into single player to test drive the draft system three times now. My earlier plan of using two picks for SF was a terrible idea. Screw the bench, it's starters or bust.

I have noticed that Dwight goes first pick, so he won't be there if CPU goes first. And you're left with the dregs of point guards if you don't prioritise that position, even in the second round. You could get lucky and pick up Steve Nash, CPU doesn't like him. Nor Serge Ibaka - he sticks around as late as round 8 or 9 bizarrely.

No matter what - a first round superstar is more important than the player you might like. After the draft you'd be surprised how many options you can find to swap your all star centre for other positions.

Also the CPU overstocks on size, so it can be easy to find a Marc Gasol or similar by giving up your third and fourth choice shooting guards.

Interesting stuff mate, cheers for that.

I'd bet any money that LeBron will be the first player selected by a human (if any of us land near the top) although in saying that I have seen a few fantasy drafts where Dwight gets selected first by a human. However, I don't think there'll be many, if anyone, in our league who'll build their team around a C.

I'm looking forward to seeing what players people put on their trade blocks (if any) and what free agents are available after the draft has finished too.

Just about to join this.. Noticed in the op the clerics are taken but there available when I join. Are they free or will I pick someone else?

Or did I even join the right league? :(

Carroller wrote: »
    Just about to join this.. Noticed in the op the clerics are taken but there available when I join. Are they free or will I pick someone else?

You'll have to pick someone else mate. Mikey has the Celtics, he's signing up later.

League name is Boards and password is boards2k12.

• Advertisement

Not sure if you're in the right league or not, but I picked the Celtics and haven't had a chance to join the Online Association until now, which is why they are available on 2k12.

EDIT:

You took the Celtics.

tumblr_m4pn5kPBSc1roow1g.gif

Guess I'll take... Golden State Warriors?

Advertisement