Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Renault Zoe, would you buy it ?

Options
  • 18-03-2012 6:31pm

About 16,000 Euro's new, 70 €pm battery rental for 6500 miles per year, more expensive rental options depending of mileage needed.

Without vrt and including the grant, it seems expensive enough without the battery ?

I think I saw on a leaf forum where 15,000 a year would cost you 200 € pm for the battery! I'm trying to find it!

Advantage, no battery worries, range should be more than the Nissan leaf because it's more efficient.The heater uses little power. 1kw for 3kw heat.

A diesel Clio costs 16,900. But costs a hell of a lot more to fuel.

Would you buy one new or wait until it costs about 8-10,000 2nd hand, or not buy it at all ?

Comments

Seventy a month would fuel a diesel one for than mileage me thinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

I will drive in petrol cars until it becomes un affordable for me

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Couldn't resist ...

196827.png

• Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

I will never drive an electric car as long as there is Petrol to power one.

But as RJ has said, for that level of mileage you'd be able to run a durty Diesel for the same amount, so why bother?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

70 pm? That's incredibly expensive!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

I'm waiting for Declan to offer a Boardsies discount on them over on the Currys forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,392 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

MugMugs wrote: »
    70 pm? That's incredibly expensive!

You spend less than €17 a week on fuel?

HAHA Owen, poor sesshomaru ;)

That mileage works out at about 125 miles a week. I can only assume it would cost around the same in diesel, because Renault worked really hard to make it work out that it costs around the same as the diesel to run.

In the long run it would work out cheaper having very little maintenance. And 150 to tax, ice tax is only going one way!

I think the biggest deal is the fact Renault take the risks on the battery, as they should!

It cost me €50.00 for 31.27 litres of petrol to do about 450 miles in the Prius over that week. I filled up that time on the 7th March. It would cost 51.59 for that now.

So about 2500 ish Euro's per year we spend on petrol. + maintenance of about 300 euro's more. Total 3k. working out around 250 Euro's pm. Which is more than the rental of the battery for that mileage.

It would cost around 450 Euro's in electricity to do 17,500 miles on Night electricity. I base that figure on a real life range in the Leaf of about 70 miles per charge, 60-65 mph, little heat. So your 300 Euro service would go a long way to pay the electricity!

The Zoe would be wore efficient and has a much more efficient heater. 1kw for 3kw heat!

here is the battery rental charges for the Fluence ZE from the U.K renault site

RenaultFluenceBatteryLeasePrices.jpg

That mileage works out at about 125 miles a week. I can only assume it would cost around the same in diesel.........

€70/month for 6500 miles/annum.

That 525 litres of diesel at €1.60/litre.

115 gallons to travel 6500 miles, the diesel would need to do 56mpg to be as efficent as the battery thing.

I reckon mid 50s from a Clio diesel is very very very likely.

Can't see how you reckon the diesel costs more to fuel..........
    About 16,000 Euro's new, 70 €pm battery rental for 6500 miles per year, more expensive rental options depending of mileage needed...................

A diesel Clio costs 16,900. But costs a hell of a lot more to fuel.

the more you drive the diesel the cheaper it will be compared to the electric yoke, do 20 miles a week and you'll still get clung for €70/month for the battery.

It is certainly worth thinking about I think anyway.

If it costs around the same as the diesel, then why not ?

It charges in half the time the leaf does from the home charger or 30 miles for every 10 mins on a fast charger.

Your lease is up, new battery or new car and new battery. Ev's should last a very long time.

I myself would probably wait until the car costs 8k in 4 years, by that time petrol will be a lot closer to 2.00 per litre and it costs 66 Euros for 40 litres of petrol today at 2.00 euros it will cost 80 Euros for 40 litres, that's very scary.

I think other manufacturers will follow Renault if people decide to buy it, the thing is they need to advertise this stuff on t.v, stuff like "costs the same as the diesel to run" and " diesel tax and road tax will keep going up"

I'm estimating the zoe having the same battery capacity of 22 kw/hrs as the leaf will do a good 90 miles on a charge at 60-65 mph, being more efficient and smaller. Time will tell.

• Advertisement

............ stuff like "costs the same as the diesel to run" ...........

It doesn't though, at 6500 miles a year it might cost the same, any less or any more and the diesel is cheaper :)

RoverJames wrote: »

Can't see how you reckon the diesel costs more to fuel..........

the more you drive the diesel the cheaper it will be compared to the electric yoke, do 20 miles a week and you'll still get clung for €70/month for the battery.

When I said diesel costs a hell of a lot more to fuel, I did mean more than electricity! I didn't make that clear!

How would driving a diesel be more likely to work out cheaper the more you drive it when electricity costs so little ?

Drive 20 miles a week ? why would you have a car then ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

About 16,000 Euro's new, 70 €pm battery rental for 6500 miles per year, more expensive rental options depending of mileage needed.

RenaultFluenceBatteryLeasePrices.jpg

I see the cheapest option there is 76 quid sterling for a 3 year contract.

I'm presuming this is going to be at least €100 here?

Unless Renault Ireland is discounting the UK price!

When I said diesel costs a hell of a lot more to fuel, I did mean more than electricity! I didn't make that clear!

How would driving a diesel be more likely to work out cheaper the more you drive it when electricity costs so little ?

You said if you do more miles than 6500/annum the battery lease is more expensive.....
    About 16,000 Euro's new, 70 €pm battery rental for 6500 miles per year, more expensive rental options depending of mileage needed..................

It doesn't though, at 6500 miles a year it might cost the same, any less or any more and the diesel is cheaper :)

How at more is the diesel cheaper ?

At €70/month battery lease the thing is no cheaper than fuelling a diesel, that was ignoring actual electricity costs completely.
    Doing high miles (higher than a couple of hundred a week) would be condusive to seeing 70mpg from the diesel me thinks.

I'm presuming because you pay 4 pence a mile on top of your electricity if you go over your allowance.

I wouldn't go over the limit as I would take the lease package that suits my needs as I know what I need every year. 20,000 miles give or take so the 18,000 I'm sure could be stretched to 20k if not they could take their lease and you know the rest!

I think they will allow you to change your plan during the lease.

Also, as Paul said where is €70/month coming from?

I wouldn't go over the limit as I would take the lease package that suits my needs as I know what I need every year. 20,000 miles give or take so the 18,000 I'm sure could be stretched to 20k if not they could take their lease and you know the rest!

Yes but as James said the cost per mile is exactly the same as a diesel, ignoring the electricity costs.

Also as I quoted a few posts back, are you sure its 70 euro a month here? As your image has 76 pounds sterling as the cheapest price?

• Advertisement

............ 20,000 miles give or take so the 18,000 I'm sure could be stretched to 20k if not they could take their lease and you know the rest! .......

Any idea how muck the lease is for 18k/miles a year?
    Apologies to ask but I'm trying to find out on the Renault.ie site but can't seem to.

The Zoe is a manky looking thing too btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

PaulKK wrote: »

Yes but as James said the cost per mile is exactly the same as a diesel, ignoring the electricity costs.

Also as I quoted a few posts back, are you sure its 70 euro a month here? As your image has 76 pounds sterling as the cheapest price?

The image the OP provided is for the Renault Fluence.

Also, as Paul said where is €70/month coming from?

That was before I saw the website, maybe it was 70 + vat I read on the leaf forum, or maybe the zoe rental is cheaper ?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭✭heate

What are the service requirements on an EV?
    I'm aware there's little in the way of moving parts but do the motors require maintenance or the gearing system?

All well and good that Renault will lease you a battery at €xxx p/m but adding electricity whats the total cost per km.

And with the driving required to achieve the stated range surely one would be better off in a clio diesel and not having to pay for a battery if you go of on holidays for a month.

Petrol costs are about 55 euro's per week for 450 ish miles in my prius which is really good on petrol despite what the green bashers say!

Battery rental over 3 years for 18k miles = 159 pm

Electricity for same distance 10.80 pm

petrol 220 pm

Zoe battery rental + electricity =169.80

saving about 50.20 pm!

i made a boo boo editing............

heate wrote: »
    What are the service requirements on an EV?
    I'm aware there's little in the way of moving parts but do the motors require maintenance or the gearing system?

All well and good that Renault will lease you a battery at €xxx p/m but adding electricity whats the total cost per km.

And with the driving required to achieve the stated range surely one would be better off in a clio diesel and not having to pay for a battery if you go of on holidays for a month.

They call it in for fluid checks, tyre rotation that's it, maybe cabin filter. You wouldn't need to but they will say if book isn't stamped bye bye warranty.

They have to survive somehow!

Put it this way if it costs me 220 per month for petrol in the prius for 450 ish miles, in electricity that would = 10 euros!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭pred racer

A little bit OT but 3kw of heat for 1kw of power is not possible, if you have something that is 100% efficient you can get 1kw for 1kw.
    Energy is energy no matter what form its in:confused:

Battery rental over 3 years for 18k miles = 159 pm

Electricity for same distance 10.80 pm..........

So €170/month for 1500 miles :)

At €1.60/litre you'd need the Clio diesel to average 64mpg to equal that. Quite feasible surely :)

• Advertisement

So €170/month for 1500 miles :)

At €1.60/litre you'd need the Clio diesel to average 64mpg to equal that. Quite feasible surely :)

If my figures are correct that would = 630 miles @64 mpg with 45 litres, or about 530 miles per 38 litres before you fill up because no no one runs the tank dry!

That's 60 euro's at 1.60 per litre. I doubt the clio would average 64 mpg, once diesels hit town and city driving the mpg takes a nose dive. I've driven them for 350,000+ miles.

My sisters 1.6 hdi 308 does about 50-54 mpg max. My prius MK II actually does better!

Advertisement