Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running with the birds or for the birds?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Fantastic, race and report just brilliant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Great report MS, really enjoyed reading it. Clearly indicates the need for not only the physical preparation but the mental strength to keep pushing when your central governor is telling you "stop, sit down, drink some water, smoke a spliff, eat some cookies" ;):D

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Dory Dory wrote: »
    2) McDonalds???!!! :eek: You ate at McDonalds immediately after completing the marathon??? You're the 50k Irish champion and you downed a Big Mac meal and shake (was it chocolate?) at McDonalds right after you finished running the London marathon?? Aw jeez....

I've done that - there are times in your life when a massive salt, fat and sugar injection is called for. Immediately after finishing a marathon is one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭opus

Fantastic run (& report!), I'm definitely sticking to your pacing group if you're running the 50k in Donadea next year!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I'm so jealous. You give me the belief that I might manage the mental side of things better in 10 years time when I too am in my 40s :P :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭The_Boy_Wonder

Super stuff. You have a rare talent and running ability. But you have an even more rare quality of running with such positivity and humility. You're a class act.
    Congrats on the PB too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

Deadly stuff, MS, congrats on a fab result and a lovely report to read. Delighted that you enjoyed it (even with some tough points) and did so well, as you are always so supportive to others on these boards! Looking forward to following your next adventure!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

Great stuff at the weekend, Irish 50k champ and now a Stew marathon record all in the space of a few months. How can you top this? I'm sure you'll find something.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

well done Martha, ..in a selfish way it makes me feel a little better that others found it tough too...:o
    Fantastic run and what a lovely heartfelt read!!

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Alicano

My eyes were sweating reading the end of that!
    I think we(I certainly) have been in that horrible place when you see your race start to slip away, body doesn't feel as it should and the 'stop' voices start to sing in unison. But you are made of much tougher stuff. To pull a PB out of the bag in survival mode is incredible. That's why you're the champ :D
    And although hurting badly, I bet you were as funny, friendly and classy as ever.
    A massive round of applause from your fans on boards and on the running road.:)
    What's next?................

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Exiting DOMsville:D

Thanks for all the lovely congratulatory messages:)
    I was a little shocked at how bashed and battered I felt after Sunday, I can honestly say I've never felt so sore and tired after a race (even Conn Ultra) I've been so tired that I haven't missed running:eek: This morning is the first day I've woken up and thought I'd love a run but luckily I'm away with family so a recovery run will have to wait.
    I have of course been jumping in the sea, spinning, downward dogging and drinking Mocha-choco-cinos:)
    Alicano wrote: »
    What's next?................

Some running for fun is what's next... I'm delighted to say I'm pacing in Limerick next weekend and Kildare the following week (half marathons) and I signed up for the Women's mini marathon originally with the idea of running a PB but at the moment I think I'll take digger's advice and walk it arm in arm with a pal eating Monster Meanies:rolleyes:

In other news... Mr Stew has recovered well and is getting back into things, he'll most likely run Portumna in June in search of a London GFA.
    Junior Stew's stitches (all 10 of them) are out and he is healing really well and still smiling:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Welcome back to virtual land!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

I read this when I was walking home from work last week and it was snot-bubble/sweaty-eye central!! So so so delighted for and proud of you on such a fantastic run. You are an inspiring positivity machine and deserve everything you have achieved this year without exception!

Now on to more important things? Shall I have a Merlot or a Chiraz airing for you on Sunday?!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

cl.....don't forget her "little" bag of chocolate and Milk Duds!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

DD, I will make sure she gets them this weekend as I'm concerned that they may be effecting the foundations of our house!

claralara wrote: »
    I read this when I was walking home from work last week and it was snot-bubble/sweaty-eye central!! So so so delighted for and proud of you on such a fantastic run. You are an inspiring positivity machine and deserve everything you have achieved this year without exception!

Now on to more important things? Shall I have a Merlot or a Chiraz airing for you on Sunday?!

Mine's a Merlot:D Although after this past weekend I am a little concerned... In the same way that I feel like I gave everything to the marathon in London I may also have left all my drinking powers in the Coal Hole:eek: My family were shocked at my lack of drinking stamina and the fact that I was the first to bed every night, I'll do my best this weekend to return to my old self

How lucky am I????? ..... pacing with lots of fun running friends, a break in the beautiful city of Limerick:rolleyes: AND mountains of chocolate from DD:D:D:D I can feel a diabetic type coma coming on
    digger2d2 wrote: »
    DD, I will make sure she gets them this weekend as I'm concerned that they may be effecting the foundations of our house!
    It'll be a good opportunity for the Officer to show off the guns:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Marthastew wrote: »

Just read your report there for london. Well done that was a solid race. But I have one question in relation to your heart rate. Have you been diagnosed as being a High beater? You clocked a 184 at one stage, which was very early in the race and unless youre 18 years old, thats fairly high. I hit 184 in training but its not pretty. Its eye balls out, on the ragged edge stuff, like Im about to lose consciousness. And you were high 170s and low 180s for the rest of the race. Thats very high beating, have you had any physiological tests done? Whats your resting HR by the way?

tunguska wrote: »
    Just read your report there for london. Well done that was a solid race. But I have one question in relation to your heart rate. Have you been diagnosed as being a High beater? You clocked a 184 at one stage, which was very early in the race and unless youre 18 years old, thats fairly high. I hit 184 in training but its not pretty. Its eye balls out, on the ragged edge stuff, like Im about to lose consciousness. And you were high 170s and low 180s for the rest of the race. Thats very high beating, have you had any physiological tests done? Whats your resting HR by the way?

Actually I've been meaning to review my heart rate data for the race, thanks for bringing it up.
    I'm 46 (for another 2 months;)), female and have been running for 5 years.
    I did a basic fitness assessment a year ago in Santry and my Max HR was supposedly 178. I ran Conn Ultra just after that averaging 165 overall peaking at 178 for a few miles towards the end. I emailed the clinic to ask if the test was accurate after and they suggested that Ultra running was possibly bad for you!
    I haven't worn the monitor since then as we only have one in the house but since Mr Stew wasn't racing I wore it in London. I have to admit to being fairly ignorant with regard to heart rate and running but I did think my Garmin stats were high. My resting heart rate is 48.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Actually I've been meaning to review my heart rate data for the race, thanks for bringing it up.
    I'm 46 (for another 2 months;)), female and have been running for 5 years.
    I did a basic fitness assessment a year ago in Santry and my Max HR was supposedly 178. I ran Conn Ultra just after that averaging 165 overall peaking at 178 for a few miles towards the end. I emailed the clinic to ask if the test was accurate after and they suggested that Ultra running was possibly bad for you!
    I haven't worn the monitor since then as we only have one in the house but since Mr Stew wasn't racing I wore it in London. I have to admit to being fairly ignorant with regard to heart rate and running but I did think my Garmin stats were high. My resting heart rate is 48.

You could just be a high beater thats all. Maybe wear the HR monitor for a while in training and racing and see if you beat high all the time or if london was just an anomaly. Maybe worth getting a V02 max test done aswell though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

a break in the beautiful city of Limerick:rolleyes:

glass houses and stones young lady ;)

• Advertisement

Time to get things back on track…..
    Total Mileage for April 105.54
    Total Mileage this year 811.47
    April’s mileage is shockingly low, taper time, followed by Junior’s hospital stay and the fact that I needed lots of recovery after London are the main reasons.

My recovery after London marathon has been quite slow and I’m actually a little shocked as to how much it has taken out of me. A very wise running friend told me before Donadea that it’d be foolish to expect to race Donadea AND London and at the time I thought he was just being overly cautious…. I wouldn’t change a thing about the past few months and going into London I told Mr Stew that with Donadea under my belt even if things went pear-shaped I wouldn’t be too upset (although I’m sure I would have been a little) I have been incredibly lucky to do so well but I’ve definitely learnt another running lesson (it’s never too late to teach an old dog new tricks:D)

Another reason that may have been delaying my recovery; I ran out of iron tablets just before London and forgot to buy some more:o

Goals for May
    Idea stolen from Runningking, thanks:)
    · Make sure I am recovered well before I up the miles and intensity
    · get back to running for fun (I’m lucky enough to be pacing Limerick and Kildare Halfs so that goal will be easily met)

The next two goals can only be achieved if I have met the first two goals…….
    · PB at Sortsworld 5 mile on May 19th
    · Pass the 1,000 mile mark

Monday 29th April
    Dip in 40 Foot
    45 minute Body pump class
    Trip to Boots to buy some iron tablets:D
    Brrrrr…. 8 degrees Celsius is the current temperature of the Irish sea (yes Dory, 8 degrees!), perfect for aiding recovery and I made it down every day last week also. The sunshine makes it all the nicer.
    I've upped the upper body weights in Body Pump as I'm planning an arm-wrestling match with the Officer in the pub in Limerick:) I had toyed with the idea of a run but I was on my feet all day on Sunday in a high-viz jacket; marshalling at our club rugby blitz during the day and the Samsung night run in the evening. Having lasted this long without a run I’ve decided to make it onto double digits and make it 10 whole days without running:D

Tuesday 30th April
    Dip and walk in 40 Foot
    45 minute lower body class
    45 minute mat Pilates class
    Super, dooper low spring tide so we were able to walk right round from the beach to the side entrance at the 40 Foot, so much fun checking out all the seaweed:) Recovery going much better and I was very tempted to run as it was such a nice day

Wednesday 1st May
    Dip in 40 Foot
    45 minute mat Pilates class
    I’ve also had a chance over the past week to catch up on the gardening, housework and paperwork that I’ve been neglecting. A nice feeling of calm has descended on the Stew household:)

Thursday 2nd May
    5.26 recovery miles @ 9.31 pace
    75 minute hot ashtanaga yoga
    30 minute spinning class
    I was joined by 3 pals for this run, one of them had run London and we were all happy to take it easy. We set off with the intention of running at my planned pace for the Limerick Half (10.16 min/mile) but the pace kept drifting up. My legs felt tired and tight to start and if it weren’t such a fab day and if I hadn’t had company I’m sure I would have noticed a lot of aches and pains. Potential problem areas are my right quad and left calf, both very tight. I’ll see how they are after the Half in Limerick and if I’m concerned I’ll go get them sorted.

Interesting that no matter how long you delay a recovery run and no matter how much cross-training you do in the meantime you just can’t beat a run:) my legs feel much better and I’m hoping I’ll be back to my speedy self before long.

I echo your shocked-and-slow-to-recover sentiment as I am just now getting back into some running. I've been doing plenty of trainer spinning and just last night a nice swim...and been sprinkling in some fun stuff like weights and yoga...but the running is just now coming back into the fold. I'm still nursing this damned glute/hamstring injury that I'm guessing is a piriformis issue. What was your injury that had you out for a while?? Any way...nice recovery discipline MS!! And enjoy your upcoming pacing duties - I know you're always the belle of the ball out there!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭RubyK

Hope you have a great weekend in Limerick O, your band of merry followers are in good hands with you being on pacing duty :)

Glad to hear the recovery is going well, enjoy taking it handy for a while :)

I echo your shocked-and-slow-to-recover sentiment as I am just now getting back into some running. I've been doing plenty of trainer spinning and just last night a nice swim...and been sprinkling in some fun stuff like weights and yoga...but the running is just now coming back into the fold. I'm still nursing this damned glute/hamstring injury that I'm guessing is a piriformis issue. What was your injury that had you out for a while?? Any way...nice recovery discipline MS!! And enjoy your upcoming pacing duties - I know you're always the belle of the ball out there!! :D

My injury was a trapped nerve caused by a tight psoas, yoga and rest are what cured me. Have you ever had dry needling? I also found that very good for loosening up tight areas, not for the fainthearted but we know you're a tough cookie:D
    I hate to mention the A word (and I'm not talking about our asses;)) as I generally avoid using it as an excuse but it's a well known fact that recovery takes longer the older we are;)
    I also think (and this may sound like poppycock) that we both were extremely focused on getting to those Finish Lines with not too much lined up in the near future so our bodies are taking this opportunity to force us to rest. I recovered very quickly after Donadea because I knew I had to keep going for London.
    PS I think chocolate helps with recovery so I'll be all set after the weekend:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

I finally got around to reading your London report, great stuff. Hope the pacing and the weekend in Limerick went well.

Friday 3rd May
    Another recovery 5 miles, hilly run @ 9.30 pace
    75 minute hot Vinyasa yoga
    My legs were still tired and right calf very tight but it was a glorious morning and the views from Killiney were fabulous. After the run I booked a dry needling session for next week as the tightness in the calf doesn’t feel like it’s going to go with foam rolling. Yoga was fabulous and my legs felt super after.

Saturday 4th May

Foam rolling and stretching and rest

Sunday 5th May

Great Limerick Run 2.15 pacer:D
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/308888634

I drove down to Limerick on Sunday morning and joined Jcsmum for a lovely breakfast at our hotel before we headed in for our briefing with Captain Pacer Meno. As part of the pacer deal we got gear to wear, I was delighted to see it was puma and it fit great (although the shorts were a little on the short side but I’ve been working on my farmer’s tan so they weren’t too bad). The weather was absolutely perfect for pacing and it has been a long time since I’ve lined up at the start of a race without shivering. I was lucky enough to be pacing with Dev123, we had met in the pub in Berlin last year and we were both relaxed and happy at the start. Lots of nervous questions from some really nice runners and before we knew it we were lining up and the gun went off bang (pun intended:rolleyes:) on time. Belcara found a photo online of us heading to the start and it’s clear from the picture just how happy I was, I LOVE pacing! In fact Claralara and I decided that pacing is the new racing… You get to do what you love under relaxed, fun circumstances and you might even help some people out along the way, what's not to love?:D

We had a super group with us, lots of locals and they were all happy and a little nervous. Within the first mile I lost my balloon:( Although I had checked a zillion times that it was tied to my belt properly I had not checked that the balloon was tied properly to the string (The shame:eek:, I won’t make that mistake again) We had been warned that the mile markers might be out as in previous years but after about 3 miles we both confirmed that they were bang on. We settled into our pace (10.10 min/miles) me at the front of the group and Dev towards the back and I was extra careful about keeping an eye on the pace, it was very easy to let it drift too fast but having paced 4.15 in DCM I knew that all I had to do was keep checking the Garmin. There were a lot of bollards along the route and we had to keep warning people not to trip and also to warn them to move over when a car would come on the other side of the road. I was very impressed with the local support not just in the town but out along the course in the housing estates etc. I was chatting away encouraging everyone and generally having a great time. The miles ticked away nicely and Dev suggested we slow a little during the hilly miles of 9, 10 and 11 as we had a few seconds in the bank. We really wanted to hang onto our pacees:) We passed a few marathoners from about mile 10 and I made an extra effort to give them loud cheers and encouragement. At this stage we also started picking up some of the half marathoners who had gone out too fast and although we lost a good few of our original bunch we still had a good group around us. Just before we reached the 1 mile to go gantry we passed Anto and Cabaal, the 5 hour pacers and they were delighted to see us go past as they were sick of the sound of my voice (imagine how poor Mr Stew feels;)). With one mile to go I could see a good few struggling so I kept encouraging them to hang on to us. There were two girls who were doing ok and I convinced them to push on ahead. The last mile was so much fun, lots of music as we came up to the bridge and I was dancing along telling our group to just keep putting one leg in front of the other and telling them that the finish line wasn’t far away at all. We picked up two marathoners who were walking and I convinced them to join us and the girl managed to stay with us and the guy actually pushed on, I kept shouting “We’re nearly there, I promise”. With a quarter of a mile to go we realised we were doing great time-wise so we slowed a little and started yelling at people to push on and dig deep to the Finish Line. The last stretch was great fun and the cheers and support along this route were fabulous. Crossed the line with a chip time of 2.14.32 for an average pace of 10.14 min/mile:D As they say on marathontalk Get in:D:D Lots and lots of hugs from happy pacees and the lovely 2 hour pacers (jcsmum, chinuguetti and ger) were awaiting us and we headed back to the bag drop, everybody had had a super day. Jcsmum and I headed back to our hotel and my calf was in bits by the time I got out of the car:eek: A dip in the pool, Jacuzzi and steam room and it was feeling much better. Unfortunately Jcsmum wasn’t staying the night and I was seriously tempted to order room service and enjoy some peace and quiet but I knew I’d miss a great night in town celebrating with the 4th fastest female marathon runner in Limerick (well done careermove:D) Obviously what goes on tour, stays on tour but I can confirm that Gary O’Hanlon did make Meno’s day by arriving to the pub, there were very many air-guitars and indeed air-drums played, lots of dancing and a trip to a chipper that rounded the night off nicely.
    Total miles for the week 23.56

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

The last mile was so much fun, lots of music as we came up to the bridge and I was dancing along telling our group to just keep putting one leg in front of the other
    That's just cruel......bopping along happy as larry while your poor pacees were struggling :p:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭blockic

Although I had checked a zillion times that it was tied to my belt properly I had not checked that the balloon was tied properly to the string (The shame:eek:, I won’t make that mistake again)

Exact same happened to me!! forgot to check the balloon end! :rolleyes:
    there were very many air-guitars and indeed air-drums played, lots of dancing and a trip to a chipper that rounded the night off nicely.

Haha, vague collection of the chipper. Paid the price for that the day after! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

there were very many air-guitars and indeed air-drums played, lots of dancing and a trip to a chipper that rounded the night off nicely.

Sure, the chipper was essential for replacing carbs and salts, you would have had severe leg cramps afterwards if you didn't. That's my way of looking at it.

• Advertisement

Okay....what's a chipper???? :confused:

Advertisement