Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Thread Closed  

10-01-2012, 21:41   #31
lickle mushroom

PIP Implants

Hi,

I found out today that I am one of the 1500 women in Ireland that have PIP implants. When I first heard of the scare I tried to contact Shandon Street Hospital in Cork(the clinic that I attended) - only to find that they had gone into liquidation in March 2011. My fears were confirmed today when a friend heard a radio interview naming the hospital as one of the 3 in Ireland that had been using the PIP implant.

I intend to talk to my GP tomorrow to schedule an exam to determine if my implants are still intact but after that I don't know what I can do.

My breast augmentation in 2005 was a major undertaking for me, both personally and financially. At that time in my life I had a very poor body image and low self esteem and I believed that breast augmentation would solve everything. I saved up for a very long time to be able to afford the operation but felt it was worth it. Although it didn't solve 'everything' it did help with my body issues and confidence in myself.

I'm now left wondering how the hell I will be able to afford to pay for surgery to replace the defective implants. I am also wondering why the hell I should have to pay for them seeing as they were a faulty product! Would consumer rights still apply in this situation (repair/replace/refund)? As the company is now in liquidation is there anywhere else I can turn? Incidentally, I tried the HSE website to see what their advice would be and I uncovered NOTHING on the issue!

If there are any of the other 1500 women here on boards it would be great to make contact and share information. Or if anyone else can offer some advice it would be greatly appreciated.

LM
Advertisement
10-01-2012, 22:37   #32
Marguerite1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeano8 View Post
The private company that all of us women paid such a large amount to have this proceedure done with and who made so much money off us as it has now come to light that these pip implants were deemd unsafe up to 5 years ago and also consumer rights are saying that they should be held accountable as they must stand by their product or service in line with consumer rights and also healthcare professionals are saying that these private organisations hav a moral and legal obligation to the women that they operated on
Jean I've just joined Boards.ie today because I'm totally confused about what to do on this matter. I was in <snip> for a check up today because I have the PIP implants (from 2006). I am being sent to the <snip> for a scan to ensure that there is no rupture. The surgeon believes that my implants are intact from his brief examination, but the scan will confirm either way. I assume I will have the scan within the coming week or so.

If the implants have ruptured at all, they will be removed and replaced by <snip> for free. However, I should have asked if they can be removed and replaced because of the issues that have come to light.

The surgeon also told me that, if there is no rupture I should leave them in place and that I should plan to have them replaced in 2016 either way. However, I do see from other websites that implants should come with a lifetime guarantee.

Now I see this evening that the NHS in Wales is prepared to remove & replace the PIP implants for all women living in Wales who have them.

What upsets me as much as anything else is that I believed <snip> was an excellent clinic with extremely high standards. I now read that these implants were 10 times cheaper than other implants on the market. Yet my operation was not 10 times cheaper, in fact it was the most expensive clinic in Ireland at the time for this operation.

I'm angry with myself that I didn't ask the question about just having them replaced rupture or no rupture. I saw that one other woman went in to the surgeon with, what I presume, was her husband, and another woman went in with a friend. I just felt a bit on the back foot which is not like me. Maybe it is because of the type of surgery.....

I don't know what to do or what to insist on for the best. Any advise/help/support would be appreciated.
Sorry this post is so long and all over the place. I'm very upset.

Last edited by Fluorescence; 31-05-2012 at 09:40.
10-01-2012, 22:41   #33
Ickle Magoo
Closed Account

Hey lickle mushroom,

As there are other women posting in this thread who have been affected, I've moved your post here so you may discuss.

All the best.
Thanks from:
10-01-2012, 23:39   #34
jeano8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted1 View Post
I was just curious as to why someone would go straight down the legal route as oppose to getting a reply from the the hospital.

some of the articles have people looking for compensation, and are viewing it as nicer earner.

If there is a problem it should be addressed.
I have contacted the imb the health deparrment the company i had the surgery with and no one wants to deal with it so what are we supposed to do? Just out of interest why such an opinion on this matter do you have the pip testicles
10-01-2012, 23:45   #35
jeano8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marguerite1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeano8 View Post
The private company that all of us women paid such a large amount to have this proceedure done with and who made so much money off us as it has now come to light that these pip implants were deemd unsafe up to 5 years ago and also consumer rights are saying that they should be held accountable as they must stand by their product or service in line with consumer rights and also healthcare professionals are saying that these private organisations hav a moral and legal obligation to the women that they operated on
Jean I've just joined Boards.ie today because I'm totally confused about what to do on this matter. I was in <snip> for a check up today because I have the PIP implants (from 2006). I am being sent to the <snip> for a scan to ensure that there is no rupture. The surgeon believes that my implants are intact from his brief examination, but the scan will confirm either way. I assume I will have the scan within the coming week or so.

If the implants have ruptured at all, they will be removed and replaced by <snip> for free. However, I should have asked if they can be removed and replaced because of the issues that have come to light.

The surgeon also told me that, if there is no rupture I should leave them in place and that I should plan to have them replaced in 2016 either way. However, I do see from other websites that implants should come with a lifetime guarantee.

Now I see this evening that the NHS in Wales is prepared to remove & replace the PIP implants for all women living in Wales who have them.

What upsets me as much as anything else is that I believed <snip> was an excellent clinic with extremely high standards. I now read that these implants were 10 times cheaper than other implants on the market. Yet my operation was not 10 times cheaper, in fact it was the most expensive clinic in Ireland at the time for this operation.

I'm angry with myself that I didn't ask the question about just having them replaced rupture or no rupture. I saw that one other woman went in to the surgeon with, what I presume, was her husband, and another woman went in with a friend. I just felt a bit on the back foot which is not like me. Maybe it is because of the type of surgery.....

I don't know what to do or what to insist on for the best. Any advise/help/support would be appreciated.
Sorry this post is so long and all over the place. I'm very upset.
I know exactly how you feel im still awaiting my company to even confirm if i hav the pip implants i have contacted the imb the health department looked all over the internet and we women in ireland seem to be kust ledt to our own devices with no direction from any governing body it is just so frustrating let me know how you get on with ur scan im still in limbo here

Last edited by Fluorescence; 31-05-2012 at 09:41.
Advertisement
11-01-2012, 09:18   #36
Poppygal

To the ladies who have been affected....Had I found myself with these implants I would without a doubt be seeking legal advice. I would also be expressing all my concerns, with the hospital in question, in writing and keeping a record of all communication in writing.
Most importantly though, if I were in this boat, I would be looking to gather some strength in numbers. If a large number of the affected ladies could somehow join forces, the chances of a satisfactory outcome would be greatly increased. Why don't one of you ladies get yourselves onto somebody like Ray Darcy, Joe Duffy, whoever and do a shout out and arrange a meeting with affected ladies to discuss a plan of action. Could be very beneficial for a number of reasons, seeking legal advice and sharing costs being just one!
Good luck to you ladies and keep us posted on progress x

Last edited by Fluorescence; 31-05-2012 at 09:41.
11-01-2012, 10:33   #37
Marguerite1

Thansk Jean08 and Poppygal.
I was hoping by joining the thread and by looking up what's happening on Boards.ie that I would know what other people are doing/demanding regarding their implants. I guess I just don't trust <snip> now to tell me whether they will replace them for free even if they are not ruptured.

Poppygal your suggestion to put my concerns/dissatisfaction in writing is spot on. I should have thought of that already but didn't, so thanks for that. What I'm going to do is have the scan in the <snip> and take it from there. I will update this thread once that happens.

In the meantime if anyone else knows what is being offered by the various clinics, please let us know. I would much prefer not to have a battle with the clinic on this and rather that they just treat everyone the same.

Also, I see 2 Irish solicitor's web-sites which have a lot of information concerning this matter. Obviously they are looking for effected women to contact them if they want to go down the legal route. But even if you don't want to do that to start with, the websites are worth having a look at.
http://www.mccarthy.ie/category/blog...al-negligence/

www.lynchandpartners.com/pipdefectiveimplants.asp

Last edited by Fluorescence; 31-05-2012 at 09:43.
11-01-2012, 13:23   #38
calgary bound

pip Clane Hospital

I am waiting to hear from <snip> if I had these implants. I had one implant in to recorrect breast assysmetry and unfortunatly the operation caused me many problems and I had to have further surgery due to infections etc. If I have a PIP implant it will be the last straw with this hospital, who I thought were a hospital with very high standards. Waiting for the phone to ring and I'm in a panic...

11-01-2012, 14:08   #39
Marguerite1

Hi Calgary, would you mind updating the thread to let us know if you have PIP. The reason I ask is that although I didn't mention it in my original posts, <snip> did not write out to me. They said that they contacted everyone who has the PIP implants in 2010, but I don't appear to have received the letter...... I'd be interested to see if others also didn't receive the letter.....
Thanks!

Advertisement
11-01-2012, 14:15   #40
calgary bound

Hi Marguerite,
I am still waiting to hear back from them but I will update you when I find out, I will be calling them back again before close of business today if I don't hear back. The reason I haven't contacted them before now is that I thought they contacted all affected patients but it seems not, sorry to hear that. This is very distressing and upsetting. I had the op in 2007 and it seems others had PIP implants in <snip> in 2007 so I'm not holding out much hope.

11-01-2012, 14:33   #41
Marguerite1

Yes sorry Calgary, but when I asked them yesterday, they said 2005, 2006 and "some" in 2007. Maybe (hopefully) you are not one. They seemed very concerned that I hadn't received the letter in 2010, but who knows if it was ever sent... Yeah I am completely spun out about it. I really thought I was going to the best clinic for the operation. I received a call before lunch, so my appointment with the <snip> is in 2 weeks time. So from a positive point of view I guess it will give me more time to find out what others in my position are doing.
Please God you'll get good news that yours is not PIP.

Last edited by Fluorescence; 31-05-2012 at 09:44.
11-01-2012, 14:44   #42
calgary bound

Thanks Marguerite for updating me, at least they are in touch with you now and you have the appointment. Thanks I hope so too but it's an anxious wait, as I'm sure you are well aware. If I do have PIP I will definitely be going down the legal route to even just assess what options I have, if any. I will let you know as soon as I hear back.
Thanks
11-01-2012, 18:14   #43
021tanya

Hey ladies. I also had implants at <snip>l in 2005ish. it seems that they r pip but no way of finding out as they have gone out of business.... I have made an appointment with the <snip> for feb as I really didn't know what else to do!! Am afraid that they might be pushing replacement to line there own pockets,, and I don't have €5000 for this op. this is my first time hearing of 'pip implants' reading posts am shocked to hear they were questioning since 2010!!! Am shocked

Last edited by Fluorescence; 31-05-2012 at 09:45.
11-01-2012, 18:17   #44
SHELLBABE10

Marguerite1, i also got my implants done in <snip> in 2005 and found out last week i have the pip implants.They said they sent out a letter to me 18 months ago but i have moved from the address they have for me so i never got it.So i cant say wether they really did send a letter or not.

I went down yesterday to meet the surgeon, as im 5 1/2months pregnant i am more worried for my baby, which i have read that if the implants have ruptured it can get into your blood and then into the babies blood through the placenta.Now i said this to the surgeon and he said there is no way it can rupture into my blood stream because its a gel, he said it would be criminal for him to lie to me about that and put me and my baby at risk .This made me feel a little better but am still a little unsure wether i should believe him.Like you i am being sent to the beacon in 2 weeks time for my scan and have been told also if they have ruptured that they will be replaced free of charge although i couldnt have anything done till my baby is born.
I did ask if mine are not ruptured is there an option been given to get the implants removed anyway.He told me if their not ruptured they wouldnt be removed but if i wanted them taken out anyway they will be coming up with a non profit price to have them removed.They said they should have a price in about a week if i wanted to ring back to check price though i will wait to see what happens in the beacon first and if mine havnt ruptured i will ring then to get price.I also asked them for a copy of my chart and consent form which they have agreed to and will ring me to collect it when its done.Its handy to have this incase i want to go down the legal route.

Last edited by Fluorescence; 31-05-2012 at 09:45.
11-01-2012, 20:13   #45
Marguerite1

Hi Shellbabe10.
Sorry to hear about your news too. It's awful to have that worry when you're pregnant, it's the last thing you need. I assume, like me, the surgeon must be relatively positive that yours are intact if your scan isn't for another 2 weeks. So maybe we can take that as a positive sign in this negative situation. Also, I do think that he would have had to inform you of any possible risks or side effects to your baby.

Thanks for letting me know about the "non profit" option for replacement that they are working on. I didn't ask, my head was all over the place.

If other women are out there, and like me they have never posted on a Board, please join up so that we can all share the information we have.

In the meantime Shellbabe10 please let me know when you get your scan done. I'm sure it'll be perfect, but something that you will have to deal with after your baby is born.
Thread Closed