Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Having ibs is ruining my life :(

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭trixie_belle12

has anyone experienced incontinence problems during the night?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

I've heard of the Apple Cider vinegar helping as well. Plus ginger beer to help settle the stomach. I've kinda got things under control here except when I decide to eat something I shouldn't,only then will I take a colofac. What helped me the most was how I ate and the amount. Have a normal dinner but only eat enough that you are no longer hungery and not full. That has helped with bloating. My aunt told me that as she has stomach problems as well.
    Charcoal tablets are supposed to be good for wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

KKkitty wrote: »
    Well done for getting your bulimia out of your life. I've never experienced an eating disorder but I can only imagine what you went through. You say food poisoning could have been a trigger so during my last pregnancy I caught the vomiting bug with diarrhoea. I also had minor surgery after giving birth. A suppository was used on me at that time too which left me with very soft bowel movements and an incessant urge to use the loo. Sorry for all those gory details but that and burying my parents over a year apart must have had a psychological effect on me do you think. Are homemade soups easy to make?

Hi, thank you, i just knew something had to change it was taking over my
    life, I was about to get married and thought i have to change before i can go through with the wedding it was that simple. I definately think losing your parents so close together has to have had an affect on you and if you are an ibs sufferer it most certainly would aggrievate it, I am very sorry for your loss, it must be very hard still having gone through that, i simply cant imagine. also i think having any sort of surgery must be traumatic, i know if i was
    told i would have to have an operation it would totally stress me out,
    id be worried what they might find. Well as i said my dr knew nothing
    about the binging and starving side of things around the time I got the
    ecoli but once I was well again maybe 2 months later my stomach started
    acting up bigtime. After years of going to him with the same complaint
    and having had tests done he put it down to post infectious ibs. He said
    i always could have been suseptible to ibs (as have always seemed to
    have issues with my stomach) but having the food poisoning just made it
    ten times worse. It got to the point where having started my new job i
    had a big conference to plan and of course the ibs kicked off bigtime, i
    got so stressed I couldnt eat which of course makes it worse so went to
    my dr and was like you have to give me something to get me through the
    day so i can work with this. So he gave me the tablets i mention above
    and they really work for me but i only take them if i am really bad as
    they can make you quite sleepy which is no good for work or driving. I
    am lucky i guess in that my ibs isint one where i have diarrhea or
    constipation, well unless i get really stressed but i think thats normal
    with even people who are not ibs sufferers. My symptoms are the agony
    pain, like someone is twisting ur gut, also the nausea (like the nausea
    you feel when you have an agony period, these waves) and of course the
    horrid bloating which touch wood i have not had in a long time, I really
    feel for sufferers who have to keep running to a bathroom that must be
    really difficult to deal with. Soups are so easy seriously, i just chop
    up and chuck all veg into a pot (ie onions, celery, carrotts,
    courgettes, leeks, spuds or whatever u have) saute them for ten mins
    then add a veg stock cube, bring to boil, add salt and pepper and let it
    simmer for half an hr, then when cool blend it, dead easy.. You can
    also add diff types of beans, or red lentils (carrott, onion, lentils
    and spuds - fab but dont blend this one!) Soup really works for me, its
    incredible how much its helped. The yogart which works for me is the
    glenisk one any of the low fat ones and they taste fab. I was tested for
    coeliac but came back negative but my dr told me that just because it
    came back negative doesnt mean i dont have an issue with wheat that i
    know my own body best, I do agree with him and i eat very little wheat
    as when i do my stomach can start off..My concern now is that i want to
    get pregnant for the first time but worry how I will cope if i did get
    pregnant and had a flare up as obv i wouldnt be able to take those
    tablets i have been prescribed...i dont know how i would get through the
    day in work although i do have a very understandin boss who knows i
    have issues with my stomach. Any advice from women who have ibs and have gone through a pregnancy would be great, here's hoping i can conceive soon..
    I'm trying for a baby too so good luck to both of us :) Thank you for the soup recipe. Some people don't understand ibs and never will. I also had the implanon form of contraceptive and that drove me bananas. Felt I was slowly losing it. As if women didn't have enough to go through ibs rears it's ugly head. During the time of the month do you feel worse at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

rugbug86 wrote: »
    I take movicol (osmotic laxative) and resolor (nerve stimulator) daily.

Sometimes I take fybogel if I'm not getting enough fibre. If I'm really at a loss I take ducolax pico solution or a dulco suppository OR sennokot. Sometimes also lactulose which is yuck. This is all done under GP and gastroenterologist supervision so I don't abuse or overuse laxatives - the excess ones are only if I'm suspected of being very clogged up.

I drink about 4 litres of fluid a day between water and juice. And another few hundred mls of water for the movicol.

I've never heard of abdominal massage but am considering reiki. I'd try anything at this stage just to have a normal poo!

Thanks for that info.

If you try the reiki will you let me know how that goes?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 satcmegafan

I'm trying for a baby too so good luck to both of us :) Thank you for the soup recipe. Some people don't understand ibs and never will. I also had the implanon form of contraceptive and that drove me bananas. Felt I was slowly losing it. As if women didn't have enough to go through ibs rears it's ugly head. During the time of the month do you feel worse at all.

hi, oh wow, thats great hopefully we will both have some luck, i am very excited but scared beyond belief at same time..no worries enjoy making the soup, i could not be without it for my stomach..I personally dont use contraceptives ie pill as have a bad vein on one of my legs and was told not to take it and am very glad I dont have an implant if thats the effect it had on you, i am crazy enough at certain times of the month without the help of an implant!! i know i definately want to come back as a man in another life, they really have it way easier than us poor girls although reading this post there is a lot of men in real pain with ibs..The only times i feel worse during that time is if i am having a really agonising one then i really am a complete right off, and my stomach does be in a really bad way, so i just take the tablets and soup, no heavy meals or booze or anyth like that as these only aggravate me further.. its a real fun time - NOT!
    You are right people dont understand it, i am with my other half a long time and although i kn he knew there was something wrong with my stomach ie when id be doubled up on the couch in agony crying i do think he would be frustrated with me if we'd be out and id be in a bad mood purely out of feeling awful. I guess its hard to understand what someone is going through or feels if the other person has never experienced it themselves..i had to leave a wedding one time just after the meal (granted now it was about 7 courses) and felt really bad about it as he obv came with me and it was a close friend of his.. guilt or what but it was his choice, things like that you know.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

Cut out all grains, grains are known to cause ibs. Eat lots of red meat, eggs, seafood and veg. Cut out dairy too. When your ibs gets better reintroduce dairy and see if you are ok on dairy.

hi, oh wow, thats great hopefully we will both have some luck, i am very excited but scared beyond belief at same time..no worries enjoy making the soup, i could not be without it for my stomach..I personally dont use contraceptives ie pill as have a bad vein on one of my legs and was told not to take it and am very glad I dont have an implant if thats the effect it had on you, i am crazy enough at certain times of the month without the help of an implant!! i know i definately want to come back as a man in another life, they really have it way easier than us poor girls although reading this post there is a lot of men in real pain with ibs..The only times i feel worse during that time is if i am having a really agonising one then i really am a complete right off, and my stomach does be in a really bad way, so i just take the tablets and soup, no heavy meals or booze or anyth like that as these only aggravate me further.. its a real fun time - NOT!
    You are right people dont understand it, i am with my other half a long time and although i kn he knew there was something wrong with my stomach ie when id be doubled up on the couch in agony crying i do think he would be frustrated with me if we'd be out and id be in a bad mood purely out of feeling awful. I guess its hard to understand what someone is going through or feels if the other person has never experienced it themselves..i had to leave a wedding one time just after the meal (granted now it was about 7 courses) and felt really bad about it as he obv came with me and it was a close friend of his.. guilt or what but it was his choice, things like that you know.
    At least he left with you and that's all that matters. The implanon left me with no menstruation at all for 6 months and for 3 months before that I had the injection form of contraceptive which also left me with no period so in total I had 9 months with no cycle whatsoever and it's taken a good while for my cycle to get back to normal. I can't take the pill due to agonising migraines either. Feel like I've been through the mill and back again. I'm sure your OH didn't mind missing out on the rest of his friend's wedding. He was there for the ceremony with you. Don't blame yourself, blame your unpredictable stomach. How many simply didn't show up at that wedding when they could have. The people who care about you understand what you go through with ibs and that's what counts. Hope we get pregnant soon. I have boys so far and would love a girl :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

Cut out all grains, grains are known to cause ibs. Eat lots of red meat, eggs, seafood and veg. Cut out dairy too. When your ibs gets better reintroduce dairy and see if you are ok on dairy.

Fair play for taking the time to try to help but, wtf ?

That was a very short, matter of fact statement with absolutely no references to any credible sources or in-depth explanation of as to where you're coming from.

You're just going to confuse the hell out of the people posting in this thread that are genuinely looking for answers.

As my previous posts have shown, I had the ibs symptoms and was in extreme pain. I've been eating grain til its coming out my ears. Plenty of dairy too and not much red meat. Luckily I've feeling much better since I began the high fibre/fluid diet.

"grains are known to cause ibs" Where does this hail from pray tell ?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Cutting out grains does help IBS, but only because many grains contain FODMAPS. Wheat is one of the worst offenders.

Rice however has been helpful for stabilising my digestion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭rugbug86

Diet does play a huge part in IBS, but having one generalised sweeping statement for all sufferers does not work.

Example. I suffer from constipation. Before I went to the doctor I increased fluids, increased fibre (wholegrain foods), more fruit and veg etc etc etc. My GP put me on fibre supplements, because everyone knows that eating fibre makes you poop. A few weeks later I was hospitalised with fecal impaction because I cannot tolerate high amounts of fibre in one go. I'm back on white bread/pasta/rice and while I'm not going regularly, its more regular than it was!! And yes, I had increased fluids with all the increased fibre too - it wasn't just making lumps inside me.

Anyone who's changing their diet for IBS - talk to your GP/pharmacist or a QUALIFIED dietician who can advise you on what's best - taking advice from folks on the interweb may make you worse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

That does seem to be backed up in the link I put up in my post #80 pg6.

http://www.indi.ie/docs/1244_ibsfactsheet04_10.pdf

Very bottom of page, highlighted in grey.

I didn't go all out on the fibre - I started by substituting white for brown. I always ate a healthy-ish diet with regards veg etc. I spoke to my pharmacist and tried what he suggested and after 2 weeks of his thoughts not working I went to my gp.

I'd already been hospitalised previously with impaction before the constipation got unbearable.

Take the past few days - been taking 4 movicol at once in the morning. I have been walking and I'm just back from training where there was lots of running and there's no sign of movement. It's a really unpleasant feeling.

The worse thing about ibs is all sufferers are different. No one is sure how they got it and not very clear on how to keep symptoms well and truly at bay. The reason I started this thread was to hear from others because I don't know anyone with ibs in my family or circle of friends. My sister has some intolerance to wheat based products too. I know getting help from people online is unsteady ground but looking through all the posts so far it seems like we just need someone to talk to about what's going on and seeing as it's anonymous might make it easier too. We all understand each other and how ibs can be crippling. We can take each others advice on board and if it doesn't work all we can do is try something else because something will work eventually. I felt alone before but not now. All of you have helped by joining this thread and staying in touch. Let's not be in despair over ibs and let's try help each other out.

Oh it's defo good to be able to discuss how our tummies are doing!! Kinda difficult to discuss in real life. People in my office must wonder what all the sachets are for :)

Oh it's defo good to be able to discuss how our tummies are doing!! Kinda difficult to discuss in real life. People in my office must wonder what all the sachets are for :)
    Have you ever had to explain your ibs to your colleagues?

I'm not in a typical workplace - I'm a phd student. So I'm not at my desk all day. If conversations come up about people having dodgy tummies I'll be honest, but I'm a private person so it's not something I openly discuss. They know I'm hospitalised and have tummy issues but not exact details.

I'm not in a typical workplace - I'm a phd student. So I'm not at my desk all day. If conversations come up about people having dodgy tummies I'll be honest, but I'm a private person so it's not something I openly discuss. They know I'm hospitalised and have tummy issues but not exact details.
    Maybe they would understand if you opened up but they're just work colleagues so don't need to know everything about you.

Oh my friends know. My colleagues don't ask, I don't tell. I'm not secretive about it but its personal to me so I don't sit at lunch and say "jaysus it's been a week since I did a poo" cos it's nobodies business!!

But as regards HAVING to tell colleagues, yes I've HAD to on occasion. I work in research and sometimes human subjects are needed for trials (nothing dangerous just bloods or poo or gastric juices) but I never meet the criteria so I explain to colleagues then but it's no big deal - they're (and me!) working on studies to look at ways of diagnosing/treating GI issues (probiotics etc) so if they ever need a disease control I'll be the first to be asked!!

But as regards HAVING to tell colleagues, yes I've HAD to on occasion. I work in research and sometimes human subjects are needed for trials (nothing dangerous just bloods or poo or gastric juices) but I never meet the criteria so I explain to colleagues then but it's no big deal - they're (and me!) working on studies to look at ways of diagnosing/treating GI issues (probiotics etc) so if they ever need a disease control I'll be the first to be asked!!
    You come in handy here and there so!! Working in that area must be interesting.

• Advertisement

It really depends on the issues. It used to be fairly obvious that I was having problems from the frequency and urgency with which Id be dashing to the loo!!!

It really depends on the issues. It used to be fairly obvious that I was having problems from the frequency and urgency with which Id be dashing to the loo!!!
    Well I work between 3 or 4 labs and an office and regularly pass toilets. Even though I suffer from constipation, I know what those urgency bouts are like - when my meds kick in, they kick in!!! But as I'm not tied to one location, people don't really notice me heading away. Plus you'd regularly see people running about the place having forgotten to turn off a machine ;)

Do you tell your colleagues?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 annie33

Hi, just came across this and had to join to reply to your post rugbug...
    Read your story with interest as it rang many bells with me!!
    I'm a post-doc myself, working in similar workplace as you it seems and have had years of similar health trouble, which has recently culminated in 3yrs of chronic fatigue and ibs type symptoms. After spending 5k on doctors, consultants etc and been given a diagnosis of M.E., i came across Dr. Patrick Macgovern in Drummartin clinic, Goatstown, in Dublin before xmas. I was suspicious that my M.E. diagnosis was a pile of rubbish as doctors just wanted me off their books, and this was confirmed when, following some tests, Dr.Macgovern diagnosed me with adrenal exhaustion and an intestinal candida infection. From what you have said, if i was you i would check if you also have intestinal candida...it is rife in society but regular gps dont believe it exists, nuts!!! Anyway to cut a very long story short, I am now 3 months into treatment and feel amazing, after 3 years of debilitating problems. I urge you to check out drummartinclinic.ie an make an appt, it could change your life as it has done mine. Good luck!!!

Do you tell your colleagues?

I dont ever remember making any kind of announcement, but over time Id had an upset stomach so often, been back and forth to the doctor, was obviously dashing to the loo at times, was picky in the canteen (and on occasion very limited in what I could eat due to exclusion), that it was common knowledge more so from small bits of info or conversations over time than anything else. I dont think I ever went into much detail (I was the only woman in an all male office too and younger than any of them so they didnt tend to ask many questions!!).

Although, throughout the company I worked in, many of the women asked about the weight loss I was experiencing, at first in a positive 'you look great' way, but as things progressed, in a worried 'how come you are losing so much weight, is something wrong' way.
    Not sure about my actual start weight, but I went from a size 16 in clothes to a size 8 and at size 8 I weighed under 8 stone. Between 9.5 and 10 stone tends to look slim but healthy on me, so as you can imagine, under 8 was fairly tragic looking. That was the lowest point, where there was a lot of medical investigation and a time where I made very difficult changes to reduce the stress in my life.

annie33 wrote: »
    Hi, just came across this and had to join to reply to your post rugbug...
    Read your story with interest as it rang many bells with me!!
    I'm a post-doc myself, working in similar workplace as you it seems and have had years of similar health trouble, which has recently culminated in 3yrs of chronic fatigue and ibs type symptoms. After spending 5k on doctors, consultants etc and been given a diagnosis of M.E., i came across Dr. Patrick Macgovern in Drummartin clinic, Goatstown, in Dublin before xmas. I was suspicious that my M.E. diagnosis was a pile of rubbish as doctors just wanted me off their books, and this was confirmed when, following some tests, Dr.Macgovern diagnosed me with adrenal exhaustion and an intestinal candida infection. From what you have said, if i was you i would check if you also have intestinal candida...it is rife in society but regular gps dont believe it exists, nuts!!! Anyway to cut a very long story short, I am now 3 months into treatment and feel amazing, after 3 years of debilitating problems. I urge you to check out drummartinclinic.ie an make an appt, it could change your life as it has done mine. Good luck!!!
    What were the tests for the intestinal candida? I might mention it to my GP the next time I see him.

Glad you're getting sorted :)

Username: That's some incredible weightloss... when I first had symptoms I lost nearly 20 kg. I've put back on weight though since I'm not pooping.

My GP gave me a Comprehensive Digestive Stool Analysis and Parasitology Test kit where i sent off stool samples to a laboratory in the UK. Most gps in Ireland don't believe it exists though, so will not send off tests for it!

I'll ask my GP - he's fairly on-the-ball when it comes to tests and stuff. I'm due to see him soon enough so I'll ask him about it. My problem would be providing a stool sample :P :D

Cool, fingers crossed he does....you just bring the kit home with you so you can sit and wait ha :eek::D!!!

I've had lots of tests done. I had a barium test done in September that showed hypermotility of the small intestine and colonic inertia of the large intestine. So the aim is to slow part of it down, and speed part of it up. Kinda tricky! I've also symptoms of gastroparesis - this morning I woke up sick and vomitted yesterdays lunch - that's not normal!!

But yes, I'd try anything at all to get to the bottom of this. As will my GP!

• Advertisement

What were the tests for the intestinal candida? I might mention it to my GP the next time I see him.

My GP only believed in my intestinal candida when being prescribed an oral anti fungal for thrush also cleared most of my ibs symptoms.

Now its beginning to look as though my oral contraceptive pill is the culprit for killing off the good stuff in my gut and that allows the candida to flourish. Also an antibiotic is a guaranteed way of getting the candida.

Seeing as it costs 50 quid plus prescription to get it here I routinely order it from the UK on amazon, or stock up on Canestan Oral (or generic same) when across the border or in the UK - these meds are otc in the UK but not in Ireland for some reason. Ive found a generic version that costs around 5 euro. SO I just take it every 4 months or so and then Im right as rain (intestinal candida wise anyway!!) for a few more months.

The symptoms of intestinal candida for me are over production of bile, constant acid indigestion that wont go away, bloating and strong reactions to sugar, yeast, soya and msg - as in, a very upset bloated stomach and possibly diarrohea from them. Within 24 hours of the anti fungal medication I am fine.

Its been the 2nd biggest change to my ibs - the first was stress removal.

Advertisement