Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Road rage from a pedestrian sort of

Options
  • 25-10-2011 9:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭

Hi

Just wanted to relay an incident that happened to me this evening.

Was trying to find a parking spot this evening in my local suburban village. Went "around the block" twice and found a spot.
    I saw a Range Rover Vogue parked in a disabled parking spot with driver still inside.
    I saw there was no disabled badge showing so I tapped on the driver window and told her she was parked in a disabled spot.
    She replied that she was using her phone (as an excuse for being parked).
    I said that it was against the law to be parked there without a permit and that I was going to photograph her vehicle and report it to the gardai.
    As I was photographing her Range Rover the car parked in front of her moved off and she pulled forward into a legal space.
    I went off about my business and maybe 5 minutes later went back to my car, opened it and let my wife into the car. I then decided to report the Range Rover driver at the garda station (my car was parked across the road from the garda station).
    I went in and complained about the Range Rover. Garda agreed that it was not on but said that he had to see it in the disabled spot with his own eyes in order to prosecute.
    I said fair enough, I felt better for having reported it and said to the garda that I would report such vehicles to the gardai in future rather than speaking to the driver (as the garda could just walk out of the station and see the car "in the act").
    When I returned to my car and got in a man came to my drivers door and demanded that I roll down the window. With the tone and aggressive way that he came to my car I refused his request. He then demanded that I step out of the car and said "what are you doing, intimidating that lady", pointing over to the Range Rover. I said that I had nothing to say to him and that anything I had to say was already said at the garda station.
    I told him to move away from my car and that I felt threatened by him.
    He said "how does it feel now" and took out his camera phone and started taking photos of me and then, when I managed to move my car out, he ran over to the passenger side and took a photo of my wife as well as my tax and insurance disc's.
    My wife let the window down slightly and said that she was ringing the gardai. He said "Good girl, go ahead".
    I found a space in the traffic and pulled out onto the road proper and he shouted "I'll see you around buddy, see you around"
    I rang the gardai and reported what happened - it was the same garda who I spoke to originally when reporting the Range Rover parked in the disabled bay.

Sorry for the long story. Garda wants to know if I want to press charges regarding the threatening behaviour.
    I am worried about the sinister "I'll see you around buddy" parting statement of this guy.
    Should I make a formal statement - Garda has given me an appointment time to make a statement. Should I make a statement or should I just let it go?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

sit down, and have a tall glass of freezing cold Bulmers.

you'll feel better then :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

That's not on. Make a statement. Goodness knows what a nutter like that would do on someone else.

To be fair, if you had just politely said it to the woman or better still said nothing, this could have been all avoided. To be fair she did move into a legal space when another car moved.

That man sounds like hes not used to people standing up to him imo

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

In the immortal words of Bilbo Baggins: "Keep your nose out of trouble, and no trouble will come to you".

You sound like you have nothing better to do, so whatever mess you got into, you seem to have put yourself firmly there. I mean, reporting a car to the Gardai for pulling into a disabled space in order to take a phone call? Really?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

Definitely make a statement, clowns like this will always try and intimidate people, a visit from the cops will take the smirk of his face. The fact that it's a range rover means this fella is probably used to using his wealth to belittle people.

Letting it go means this little dicked muppet will think it's okay to keep acting like this. The threat of a court appearance/conviction/name in the papers will do his attitude a favour

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

Report the ****er.

• Advertisement

I am worried about the sinister "I'll see you around buddy" parting statement of this guy.
    Should I make a formal statement - Garda has given me an appointment time to make a statement. Should I make a statement or should I just let it go?

Don't worry :)
    This lad is a nothing more than a bully, he had you sized up as a non aggressive type and knew you posed no threat to him.

In saying that, make a statement :pac:
    Did the Garda make contact with this goon?

I can't really see them having any sort of case against him really though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭kermitpwee

Hi

Was trying to find a parking spot this evening in my local suburban village. Went "around the block" twice and found a spot.
    I saw a Range Rover Vogue parked in a disabled parking spot with driver still inside.
    I saw there was no disabled badge showing so I tapped on the driver window and told her she was parked in a disabled spot.
    I said that it was against the law to be parked there without a permit and that I was going to photograph her vehicle and report it to the gardai.
    As I was photographing her Range Rover the car parked in front of her moved off and she pulled forward into a legal space.
    I went off about my business and maybe 5 minutes later went back to my car, opened it and let my wife into the car. I then decided to report the Range Rover driver at the garda station (my car was parked across the road from the garda station).
    I went in and complained about the Range Rover. Garda agreed that it was not on but said that he had to see it in the disabled spot with his own eyes in order to prosecute.
    I said fair enough, I felt better for having reported it and said to the garda that I would report such vehicles to the gardai in future rather than speaking to the driver (as the garda could just walk out of the station and see the car "in the act").
    When I returned to my car and got in a man came to my drivers door and demanded that I roll down the window. With the tone and aggressive way that he came to my car I refused his request. He then demanded that I step out of the car and said "what are you doing, intimidating that lady", pointing over to the Range Rover. I said that I had nothing to say to him and that anything I had to say was already said at the garda station.
    He said "how does it feel now" and took out his camera phone and started taking photos of me and then, when I managed to move my car out, he ran over to the passenger side and took a photo of my wife as well as my tax and insurance disc's.
    My wife let the window down slightly and said that she was ringing the gardai. He said "Good girl, go ahead".
    I found a space in the traffic and pulled out onto the road proper and he shouted "I'll see you around buddy, see you around"
    I rang the gardai and reported what happened - it was the same garda who I spoke to originally when reporting the Range Rover parked in the disabled bay.

Sorry for the long story. Garda wants to know if I want to press charges regarding the threatening behaviour.

For gods sake forget about it and mind your own business in future, you brought this on yourself. You are neither a traffic warden or garda so in future stay out of incidents such as you have described.

P.s I feel a little sorry for you but you really need to get some sense or you will get your jaw broken when you approach the next person, also I dont think it was the most sensible to take a photo of a car when there was a lady in it.

kermitpwee wrote: »

......... you really need to get some sense or you will get your jaw broken when you approach the next person.....................

That's good advice really, there are a lot of very very stressed people wandering around these days, many RR folk would be up to their ears in debt and it mightn't take much to push one over the edge, not fun, especially if you have your good lady wife with you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

qz wrote: »
    In the immortal words of Bilbo Baggins: "Keep your nose out of trouble, and no trouble will come to you".

You sound like you have nothing better to do, so whatever mess you got into, you seem to have put yourself firmly there.

Yes, because it is not the woman and (presumably) her scumbag hubby that get aggressive and make threats to people that are at fault. :rolleyes:

Nothing is guaranteed to rile the scum up more than people pulling them up on their bad behaviour.

I really can't stand that attitude that you are free to do as you please unless the Gardai are watching and any other member of society that dares to challenge you is "asking for it".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

Fairly annoying seeing idiots parking in disabled parking spaces. But you acting like a traffic warden or Garda is not on. Looks like you got a dose of your own medicine ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

Many people use the fear of innappropriate response to get their way. Do what you want here, it's your decision whether to take it forward or draw a line under it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭glic71rods46t0

For gods sake forget about it and mind your own business in future, you brought this on yourself. You are neither a traffic warden or garda so in future stay out of incidents such as you have described.

P.s I feel a little sorry for you but you really need to get some sense or you will get your jaw broken when you approach the next person, also I dont think it was the most sensible to take a photo of a car when there was a lady in it.
    I hear what you're saying. My attitude, up to now is that, in a civilised society it is permissible to communicate your dissatiisfaction with anti social behaviour. With declining garda numbers, more and more of these types can get away with whatever they want if ordinary members of society just shrug their shoulders and walk on.
    I do agree that it is possible to put myself in harms way but I don't believe that the public should just ignore blatant anti social behaviour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Antikythera

Hi

Lol, a vigilante with no heart! I might suggest 'Captain Yellow' if you're looking for a title.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

RoverJames wrote: »
    That's good advice really, there are a lot of very very stressed people wandering around these days, many RR folk would be up to their ears in debt and it mightn't take much to push one over the edge, not fun, especially if you have your good lady wife with you :)

And the other way around, people would want to watch who they are mouthing off too. There are alot of nutters that have disabled people in there family that might have problems with non disabled people parking in these spots, could set them off too.

Many people use the fear of innappropriate response to get their way. Do what you want here, it's your decision whether to take it forward or draw a line under it.
    Looking for opinions. I'm getting plenty of them. So uncommon on the motors forum;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭Eleganza

Damn straight! Sure the disabled don't mind being inconvenienced for fifteen minutes or more while an auld Wagon chats about what not on the phone and it's not like every second parking space isn't a disabled parking space either.
    And if they did take exception sure couldn't they just walk straight up to her and give her a piece of their mind....oh....hang on....maybe not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭Tito Ortiz

U took a photo of a woman in a car... U thought u were the big man bullying the woman. Thats what the gardai are for.. U got off lightly, and put ur wife in danger

A closed mouth catches no flies !!!

Tito Ortiz wrote: »
    U took a photo of a woman in a car... U thought u were the big man bullying the woman. Thats what the gardai are for.. U got off likely, and put ur wife in danger

A closed mouth catches no flies !!!
    Just to be clear, I was taking a photo of the vehicle, not the driver. I was not offensive or aggressive in any way and I informed the lady that I was photographing her vehicle to report to the gardai. At no stage did I bully the lady or attempt to bully her.
    Thanks for the opinion though - I must be a likely lad to get off likely:rolleyes:

Thanks for the closed mouth advice - does your missus drive a Range Rover?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Wait a second.
    You want to make a complaint about a guy who came to your car, asked you to open the window, said something to you and took few pictures of your car, right? Am I missing something?

Only few minutes earlier, you did exactly the same to the lady in Land Rover.

What did you expect?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Amazing !! We have a thread here entitled "Obnoxious Parking" where this sort of behaviour would get the OP a medal and much kudos indeed !!

Did anyone bother to ask if the OP was in possession of a Disabled Drivers permit ? Perhaps that's why he tackled the Range Rover driver who was without doubt in the wrong !

Fair play to you OP ! That guy was just a bully, ignore him and continue to report these obnoxious parkers !

Ken

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

Just to be clear, I was taking a photo of the vehicle, not the driver. I was not offensive or aggressive in any way and I informed the lady that I was photographing her vehicle to report to the gardai. At no stage did I bully the lady or attempt to bully her.
    Thanks for the opinion though - I must be a likely lad to get off likely:rolleyes:

Thanks for the closed mouth advice - does your missus drive a Range Rover?

That is, in my opinion, intimidation as a form of bullying.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,361 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

A woman by herself in a car doesn't take too kindly to a man standing there taking photos of her. You made your point, she moved the motor, you should have left it at that and gone about your business. Going into the Garda Station to report it after the event was pushing your indignation too far, you should be a headline writer for the Daily Mail.

Nothing the man did to you would constitute a crime in my analysis of the situation. He took photos of you, he said 'see you around', do you really expect him to be convicted of a crime for that behaviour?

It sounds to me like he went up to the wire but didn't cross any line. Whatever threats he made were entirely in your imagination, he didn't threaten you with violence by gesture or words so you have no case against him.

Oh and by the way, a Garda does not need to see an offence 'with his own eyes', if that was the case nobody could be convicted of assault or shoplifting unless it happened under the eyes of a Garda. If he was inclined to he could have summonsed the lady and called you as a witness with your photos, you were being politely told to PFO.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭jluv

I'll thank the OP as My mother is a stroke suvivor who now is in a wheelchair. How many times we find it difficult to get disabled parking because able bodied people find it convenient at that moment to use a disabled parking space. Especially when it is raining. This is actually the time disabled persons and their helpers need these spaces. Yes, you will get slightly wet going whereever you are going. Now try taking out a wheelchair,assemble wheelchair,wait while disabled person slowly gets from car to wheelchair,gather yours and their belongings that you need from car and get to where you need to go. Fairly wet! So think people. Hre need to answer a phone call did not give her reason to use a disabled space.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

ZENER wrote: »
    Amazing !! We have a thread here entitled "Obnoxious Parking" where this sort of behaviour would get the OP a medal and much kudos indeed !!

Did anyone bother to ask if the OP was in possession of a Disabled Drivers permit ? Perhaps that's why he tackled the Range Rover driver who was without doubt in the wrong !

Fair play to you OP ! That guy was just a bully, ignore him and continue to report these obnoxious parkers !

Ken

Sorry man but the biggest bully I can see in this story is OP.
    He started all the situation.
    He had no clue if Land rover really had no right to park in disabled space.
    Even there was no badge, there was still a driver in it - who could put up a badge at any minute.

Besides from the story it looks like someone just pulled in disabled space to wait until other space was empty. I can't see anything wrong with it.
    Sitting in a car waiting for a minute, doesn't neccesserily mean parking.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭gamgsam

You gave as good as you got. The man who talked to you did no more than talk to you and take pictures. Any threat you felt is percieved and subjective. He made no definite threat from what you say in your post.

Did you need the disabled spot to park in? Is that why you approached the woman? If so, it might be better next time to forget about the guardai, approach the driver and ask politely for them to move.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭Tito Ortiz

qz wrote: »
    That is, in my opinion, intimidation as a form of bullying.

Agreed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭Eleganza

Right so, I guess I'll crawl back under my rock and just turn a blind eye to such behaviour in the future.

Turning a blind eye is a great cultural trait, it leads to great banks, responsible property developers and politicans of the highest calibre:rolleyes:
    I will sleep on it and decide tomorrow whether to make a statement.

I would have some concern that he took a photo of my insurance disc though - thats a motivation in itself to make a formal statement if only to be able to refer to it if a dodgy claim comes about

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭Tails142

Why making such a big point that its a range rover, badge envy or something? If it was a mondeo or something would you have pointed that out?

I have seen the Gardaí pull up beside a car 'stopped' in a disabled bay, and move them along. OP, you should mind your own business unless you were looking to park in the disabled bay yourself... how did you know the driver wasn't disabled for instance?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

CiniO wrote: »
    Sorry man but the biggest bully I can see in this story is OP.
    He started all the situation.
    He had no clue if Land rover really had no right to park in disabled space.
    Even there was no badge, there was still a driver in it - who could put up a badge at any minute.

Besides from the story it looks like someone just pulled in disabled space to wait until other space was empty. I can't see anything wrong with it.
    Sitting in a car waiting for a minute, doesn't neccesserily mean parking.

A poor indication of the way society has gone in my opinion. Disabled spaces are for Drivers/vehicles in possession of an appropriate sticker. They are not holding places while you wait for an ordinary parking space or answer your phone or wait while the kids run in to the chipper (I saw this today in Swords !)

The OP did right, the RR moved which was the desired outcome. The bully was the one with the problem, some nuckle dragger who felt obliged to protect his wifey from the bad man who pointed out a mistake she'd made !!

Come on folks get real.

Ken

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement