Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

6 weeks in hell -Abu Dhabi to Conn via Donadea

Options
  • 11-10-2011 5:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭

Right....3 events in a 6 week window.

Donadea 50km - Feb 18th
    Abu Dhabi Long Distance tri - Mar 3rd
    Connemara Ultra - April 1st.

Don't go looking for any logic...there isn't any:), aside from the fact that a summer IM was/is politically untenable in chez Izoard.

For those that aren't familiar with my history, a re-cap...

Usual busy life...
    4 kids
    1 fantastic wife
    1 job that has me on a plane to various 3rd world countries on an ongoing basis
    1 dog

Races:
    2 IM (IMCH'10 12.07 & Roth'11 11.30)
    5 HIM
    14 marathons (PB 3.26, back in '05:))

Pretty much all the bike training will be done on a turbo, so will be massively undercooked for Abu Dhabi, but my run training will more than compensate, right?:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Cool! Its a pan flat bike though and probably won't need any more than your standard 180 km mileage with a few hils type of training. Its the heat and constant pedalling in position that will make the 20km run feel like 30km afterwards. Groovy event though and on my bucket list so really looking forward to your take on it!

Best of luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭griffin100

Jaysus, a 5 week long season, you're showing your age :D

I'd forgotten you had pulled out of Conn Ultra this year (as I had). If you're doing it next year then I suppose I'd better too.

Will we see you in Killarney in August for a long cheap day out to round off your season?

Best of luck.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

griffin100 wrote: »

I'd forgotten you had pulled out of Conn Ultra this year (as I had). If you're doing it next year then I suppose I'd better too.

Will we see you in Killarney in August for a long cheap day out to round off your season?

Best of luck.

All the cool people pulled out this year and are all set for next year. Donadea 50k as a training run, go for that too! :)

Best of luck with the log and goals Izoard.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

I have this penciled in as well if Dublin goes ok. A real battle of the mid packers - all we need is Redb signed up :D

Saw Abu Dhabi on TV last year - it would be pretty cool to get a water and a gel from one of the Sheiks handing them out

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Best of luck.

I haven't completely ruled out a summer IM, but that suggestion needs to come from elsewhere...

Definitely beginning to feel the age and creaking bones, so am starting to work my way through the bucket list.
    catweazle wrote: »
    I have this penciled in as well if Dublin goes ok. A real battle of the mid packers - all we need is Redb signed up :D

Saw Abu Dhabi on TV last year - it would be pretty cool to get a water and a gel from one of the Sheiks handing them out

Smackdown talk already?:)

• Advertisement

Since Roth, I've done very little.

Had an OLY distance on Sept 3rd, so started to do a bit of running prior.

The rest did me no favours, as my left achillies was killing me as soon as I started back running. Was touch & go as to whether I'd do it, but managed to get around with a bit of a limp.
    Managed to finish 7th:eek:, so just goes to show how many were off doing Galway that weekend:)

As the achillies pain started to subside, I started to get some ITB problems on the outside of my right knee (due to compromising my stride for the achillies on the other side...), which was causing some significant discomfort.

Next up was pacing the 4hr marathon pace group at the Athlone 3/4 mara.
    Having volunteered, I was now dreading it, if either the achillies or ITB kicked off early on.
    Both were niggly but OK, however, as soon as I crossed the line and stopped, the knee locked up completely.
    Various members of the pace group were coming up, wondering how I'd managed with that for the 20 miles:)

Anyways, since then, plenty of swimming and gentle runs have me heading back to some normality, however, as someone who rarely has injuries, I'm beginning to realise that this long distance stuff won't go on forever....

Conn Ultra is a hangover from sigining up last year and Donadea seems to be great prep for it.

Having agreed not to do a mid-summer IM (the training "goes on forever" apparently....:)) I was looking at IM South Africa or the Abu Dhabi race as the primary tri of the year, but the family holiday took care of IM SA.

So, plenty to motivate me over the winter!

Next up is DCM - Strangely, I've no motivation to do yet another marathon in the 3:30-3:45 range (current capability), but stick a batman costume or pacing ballon on me and I'm all over it:)

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭handangeo

Izoard wrote: »
    Right....3 events in a 6 week window.

Donadea 50km - Feb 18th
    Abu Dhabi Long Distance tri - Mar 3rd
    Connemara Ultra - April 1st.

Hmmm something missing there, July 1st 2012 IM Austria :D
    You know you want to!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Mr Izoard 3 big races in 6 weeks - is there an alternative motive here?
    Would you be thnking about 2 IM in 8 days or even a double IM sometime in the future? :rolleyes:

Good look dude. See you in Donedea

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

im doing donadea and (hopefully) conn too so will be following with interest

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

catweazle wrote: »

NFW :eek:! BTW I resent that mid pack remark. I'm still clinging to my back of pack status :D

• Advertisement

handangeo wrote: »
    Hmmm something missing there, July 1st 2012 IM Austria :D
    You know you want to!

Trust me, I'd love to be there, but work is the bigger blocker for that one, rather than the home negotiations...:(
    Now, if I get fired in the meantime...
    Abhainn wrote: »
    Mr Izoard 3 big races in 6 weeks - is there an alternative motive here?
    Would you be thnking about 2 IM in 8 days or even a double IM sometime in the future? :rolleyes:

Good look dude. See you in Donedea

No interest in going beyond IM - 2 IM in 8 days sounds plausible - didn't hunneymonster do this a few years ago?

I did DCM followed by NYC six days later a few years ago - seemed like a great idea until I hit the Queensboro bridge. Still managed to beat P. Diddy though:)
    RedB wrote: »
    NFW :eek:! BTW I resent that mid pack remark. I'm still clinging to my back of pack status :D

Red, sounds like he's looking for a few new nemeses to keep him motivated...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Best of luck Izo that looks like a race i would like to do at some stage. It will be a busy 6 weeks for you!!

Interesting race.

Due to the $$$ on offer, this is the deepest pro field outside of Kona.

3km sea swim
    Calm seas, but big worry for me is the vey high probability of non-wetsuit. However the salt levels are such that it should be pool-esque.

200km bike
    Flat, good roads but strong winds and heat are the big killers here. Bonus is 2 trips into the Yas Marina F1 circuit.

20km run
    Again flat, but the heat is the over-riding factor here.
    Julie Dibens hurled a couple of times in the last km (once in the finishing chute) on her way to victory this year:eek:

Generally, I enjoy the heat, but I think this will be a different level altogether!

A variety of leg problems has left me even less prepared than normal for DCM.

Kind of kicking myself today - looked out the window at lunch time - sunny skies, no wind, looked back at my runners and said to myself, "I fancy a swim instead".
    Given this was my 2nd swim of the day, there was no excuse for not going for a run.

Thankfully, I got one long run in at the Athlone 3/4, but things will have to change if I'm going to attempt the Conn Ultra.

Similar story with the turbo - I'm diligently collecting DVDs for consumption while on the turbo, but haven't managed to venture down the the back of the garden and get on it.

I suspect when I do finally make it down, Mrs.I will have "disappeared" my set up and reclaimed the playhouse for the small people...:eek:

Well, looked out the window again today, but kicked myself out the door for a nice 17km trip @ 5min/km pace up to Blackrock park via Sandymount- the wind has been very strong around these parts of late, but nice and benign today.

The calf guards still get a lot of attention - wish a few more people would start wearing them:o

Lovely 12km today, while the youngest was doing rugby moves at football training...

Originally planned to run at DCM pacer-pace, but legs felt good, so decided on keeping sub 4.50 per km.
    Averaged 4.45 per km and had enough time to get back to see the coach roaring at the youngest:)

Need to get the pacer-pace run done tomorrow as a busy week in Dubai awaits, but World Cup finals, rugby, hockey and Cub hikes will mean a 6.30am start.

First real test of the mojo awaits....

15miles at 8.45min miles - not exactly DCM pacer pace, but got me in the frame for next week - really looking forward to it.

The ITB was sending me some warning signs, so I know it could end up being a challenging 2nd half.

Got home just in time for the RWC final - excellent, swiftly followed by coaching the local under 6s....

Also managed to squeeze in my first turbo today...put a serious dent in "Rugby's Greatest Matches" - really hard to beat the Barbarians vs NZ in '73:)

Delighted to be swapping the pi$$ing rain of Dublin for the sweltering (32 degrees) of Dubai today.

Although the enthusiasm is dampened by the regular calls from Mrs. I as to the various leaks that have appeared around the house....

Anyways, will look to get a few treadmill sessions in before the end of the week and a final 17km on Friday back in Dublin, before DCM.

Speaking of "the greatest rugby match of all time", check out the NZ haka on the day...:)

Managed to get my 2 treadmill sessions in @ ave 5m per km.

Started off at pacer pace and kept hitting the family jewels off the bar on the front, so had to speed up for health and safety reasons...:)

Really want to get out of here now, to deal with the post-flood damage at home.

0240 flight from Abu Dhabi...talk about keeping anti-social hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

Also managed to squeeze in my first turbo today...put a serious dent in "Rugby's Greatest Matches" - really hard to beat the Barbarians vs NZ in '73:)

Nice :).

Do you not find the noise from the Turbo interfering with the TV? Do you use headphones or just pump up the volume?

Best of luck Monday. Are you going in costume? I'll be enjoying this one from the comfort of home so give a hint as to what to watch out for! Hope your own flood damage wasn't too bad.

RedB wrote: »
    Nice :).

Do you not find the noise from the Turbo interfering with the TV? Do you use headphones or just pump up the volume?

Best of luck Monday. Are you going in costume? I'll be enjoying this one from the comfort of home so give a hint as to what to watch out for! Hope your own flood damage wasn't too bad.

Hey Red, I use noise-cancelling headphones, but still need the volume at max.

Not sure it would be kosher for a pacer to show up in costume, but what's the worst that could happen, eh? :) -I'll be reclining under a hot pink 4.30 pacer balloon.

Flood wasn't too bad - mainly knocking out some electrics and trashing the roof on a shed.

Great to see you on the IM road, btw...

Hard to get in the mood for this, but as soon as you hit the pacer stand for the 3 hour stint on the Sunday - all is good in the world.

All sorts of weird and wonderful questions, but the;
    "Are you the sub-3hr pacer?" was probably the most outlandish (and asked multiple times):)

A Little Caesars pizza in the company of some legendary Boardsies (ger664, RQ, RK, JB, meno, Mr.Slow (I think) and a few others) on Sunday evening and we are good to go.

Monday started off beautiful, warm and no wind, so decided that I'd hop on the bike and cycle to the start - would pay for that later.

The Conrad was the usual mix of skinny Kenyans and pacers of various shapes and sizes.

Ultraman1 and Wally Runs were my partners in crime for this one, however, only Ultraman1 managed to fit into his pacer gear - must have been the only XXL available:)

Walk down to the start (we were fired from the bus this year...) and grab the fetching pink balloons. There was one spare, so we took that as well to allow for deflations...

Lined up 1/2 way down pen 3 and started to hand out the 4.30 pacer bands and whistles that WR had kindly donated.

One nervous first timer had her Garmin freeze on her - no amount of button pressing would solve the problem and you could see this was giving her unnecessary stress before the start - technology, eh?

Off we go, about 11 mins down on the race clock, turn into Leeson St., and WR de-tours into a lane to the right "DON'T FOLLOW HIM!!" we have to shout at a few of the more impressionable members...

A combination of randomly placed mile markers and not running the racing line, meant that the 10.17 min miles were a little up & down in the early stages.

The crowd are vocal at this point, responding well to the mile marker cheering.

Into the Park and Ultraman1 disappears behind a tree. A few mins later, he cruises back up and we compare elapsed time - about a minute out - eh???
    About an hour later it transpires that there is an auto-pause function enabled on the ultra-legend's watch - DOH!

Balloon 1 pops just after the park, while balloon 2 is starting to suffer a slow puncture - not assisted by a local scally trying to grab the second balloon off me and giving me an unmerciful wedgie with my own race belt.

Through Terenue and high-fiving Marty Morrissey on camera and it is off to the dead-zone of Milltown and Clonskeagh - very familiar roads, but you can feel the life being sucked out of the pacees as they struggle on, with Roebuck Hill to come.
    Up and over, with lots of shouting and we are on the homeward stretch.
    The rain is coming down hard now, so the natural inclination is to speed up, to get this over with.
    We are a couple of mins ahead, hitting Pearse Street, so it is now all about pushing the remaining pacees ahead and plenty of backwards running over the final 500 meters.
    Across the line in 4.29.50 - job done.

Must say, I really enjoy the pacing gig - will be hard to go back to "racing" Dublin at some point in the future.

Great to see so many of our group make it in one piece - including many first timers.

The euphoria starts to abate and I realise we have to walk back to the Conrad, followed by the cycle home in the pi$$ing rain - the temp also seems to have dropped significantly.

Ultraman1 is relieved of his balloon by an excitible female on the trudge back to the hotel. Once there, I realise there is no point in changing, so a quick round of handshakes with the fellow pacers and it is off into the rain on the bike, minus my finishers bag and top, which I left somewhere.

Still, a great race and excellently well marshalled and volunteered...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭griffin100

Well done on the pacing gig, sounds like good fun. In fact as I died a death on Monday and was passed in turn by the 4hr and then the 4.15 pacers the one thought that kept me going was I can't let Izoard and his group of 'slow' runners catch me, I'd never live it down:p Ironman my arse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

A Little Caesars pizza in the company of some legendary Boardsies (ger664, RQ, RK, JB, meno, Mr.Slow (I think) and a few others) on Sunday evening and we are good to go.

:D Brianderunner will not be best pleased.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

menoscemo wrote: »
    :D Brianderunner will not be best pleased.

Lol, i'm top of his list of enemies after that night :p

Lol, i'm top of his list of enemies after that night :p

Meh, I tried my best to apply real names to potential boards handles - I wasn't even drinking!

Well done on the pacing gig, sounds like good fun. In fact as I died a death on Monday and was passed in turn by the 4hr and then the 4.15 pacers the one thought that kept me going was I can't let Izoard and his group of 'slow' runners catch me, I'd never live it down:p Ironman my arse.

Hah! We had a few alright "F*%k..EVEN the 4.30 pacers have caught me..."

I know how you felt - just nothing in the tank from the start, makes for a very, very long day.

Trying to keep the weekly training average around the ~12hr mark...no problem if I'm in Dublin for the week, but a real struggle otherwise.

Year to date, I'm at 12.2 ave hours per week, having peaked at 14.5 up to Roth.

Enjoying the pool at the moment (so, if I have a choice, I'll tend to head for the pool rather than turbo or run), but given the events I'm aiming for, I need to get the finger out on the two other disciplines.

Volume-wise, I'm ahead on swimming (+30%) and bike (+20%) over 2010, with the running at the same level.

• Advertisement

With Mrs.I wandering off to London with the twins for the w/end, I'm left home alone with the eldest and youngest.

No better time than now to hit the turbo, so managed to get 2 * 90 min sessions in over the last 2 days.

Session 1 involved a HR test of sorts - first time I've been in the red zone for a long, long time.

It certainly interrupted my enjoyment of WW II in HD on Discovery...must remember to avoid anything similar for the next few months...:)

Advertisement