Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming and Gas Fracking

Options
  • 22-06-2011 12:41am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭

I thought I'd let people from the North west know about this film about the gas exploration technique called Fracking. It has the potential to effect farming in their area if things were to go wrong. It has adversely effected many farmers livlihoods in America.
    I received this press release from Cinema North West who are organising the film called Gaslands as below. The organisers are expecting quite a few of the local councillors and the latest news is that John Perry (TD) has also promised to attend. So there is an opportunity for a good debate afterwards.

Screening of the US Academy Award winning film Gasland
    at the mobile cinema beside the Coach House Hotel Ballymote
    on Thursday 23 June at 8.00 p.m.

In the last days of the Fianna Fáil government, licences were granted to two companies – the Australian-owned Tamboran Resources and Lough Allen Natural Gas Company (LANGCO) to explore for shale gas. The areas targetted include counties Sligo, Roscommon, Leitrim, Cavan, Donegal and Fermanagh. Exploratory work is eminent in your area and could well take place on your property or adjoining property. People need to be aware of the scale and adverse potential of these developments.

A campaign is currently in progress calling for a ban on the Shale Gas extraction method known as Hydraulic Fracturing in the Lough Allen and Clare Basin based on well-documented international data relating to human and animal health-and-safety as well as the serious environmental degradation emanating from the process.

To date the French Parliament have banned Hydraulic Fracturing. All exploration has been halted as of 3 weeks ago in Lancashire England following earthquakes in the immediate vicinity of “fracking” activity. In addition, many U.S. States are now taking action on the basis of the damaging effects of “fracking” on human and animal health.

A screening of the U.S. Academy Award winning film Gasland which deals with the environmental side-effects of Shale Gas Exploration is being organised by Cinema North West in Ballymote on Thursday 23 June at 8.00 p.m. It will take place in the mobile cinema beside the Coach House Hotel.

All councillors and political representatives in Co. Sligo and Co. Roscommon have been invited to attend.

Tickets E8 / E7 unwaged.
    There will be a discussion after the film and an opportunity to sign a petition.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

I don't get it.

This is a meeting organised to mobilise support against gas exploration and to get a petition going . . . . . and you are charging people for it??

Who does the money go to?????????????

As a dweller of the Lough Allen Basin, I have an open mind about it. If it is done properly, regulated and inspected properly, there should not be an issue with it. With an estimated €120 Billion worth of gas in the basin, there is huge potential for this tiny part of Ireland that hasn't had any economic development since the closure of Arigna Mines. Also, these reserves have not been sold off to large Oil companies like Shell in Rossport. The mining companies must buy rights off each individual farmer - this will bring money to the area and ultimately economic development as the money is spent in the local area.

Also, the fact that the protest to the Lough Allen Basin exploration is being championed by 2 well known Green Party members is cause for the majority of local dwellers to ignore them. There have been several local incidents with these "Blow ins" including objections to farmers building personal dwelling houses on their own land. In an area that is populated mostly by farmers, they will find it very difficult to gain support. Many people will view these people as "protesting for the sake of protest" as they have done many times in the past.

As for the film, I have seen it (for free) and it is a very one sided and bias portrayal hyperbolic film which depicts a totally unregulated American Exploration Industry. Anyone that is familiar with Irish Exploration regulations will be very much aware of the contrast.

Don't get me wrong. I'm neither in favour or against the exploration in the area. I would like to see more information about Fracking - especially details from projects around the world that have been successful. I'd be happy if local people were allowed to make a decision based on the evidence from both sides - rather than be told by professional protesting activists how to view it.
    tuppence wrote: »
    I thought I'd let people from the North west know about this film about the gas exploration technique called Fracking. It has the potential to effect farming in their area if things were to go wrong. It has adversely effected many farmers livlihoods in America.
    I received this press release from Cinema North West who are organising the film called Gaslands as below. The organisers are expecting quite a few of the local councillors and the latest news is that John Perry (TD) has also promised to attend. So there is an opportunity for a good debate afterwards.

Screening of the US Academy Award winning film Gasland
    at the mobile cinema beside the Coach House Hotel Ballymote
    on Thursday 23 June at 8.00 p.m.

In the last days of the Fianna Fáil government, licences were granted to two companies – the Australian-owned Tamboran Resources and Lough Allen Natural Gas Company (LANGCO) to explore for shale gas. The areas targetted include counties Sligo, Roscommon, Leitrim, Cavan, Donegal and Fermanagh. Exploratory work is eminent in your area and could well take place on your property or adjoining property. People need to be aware of the scale and adverse potential of these developments.

A campaign is currently in progress calling for a ban on the Shale Gas extraction method known as Hydraulic Fracturing in the Lough Allen and Clare Basin based on well-documented international data relating to human and animal health-and-safety as well as the serious environmental degradation emanating from the process.

To date the French Parliament have banned Hydraulic Fracturing. All exploration has been halted as of 3 weeks ago in Lancashire England following earthquakes in the immediate vicinity of “fracking” activity. In addition, many U.S. States are now taking action on the basis of the damaging effects of “fracking” on human and animal health.

A screening of the U.S. Academy Award winning film Gasland which deals with the environmental side-effects of Shale Gas Exploration is being organised by Cinema North West in Ballymote on Thursday 23 June at 8.00 p.m. It will take place in the mobile cinema beside the Coach House Hotel.

All councillors and political representatives in Co. Sligo and Co. Roscommon have been invited to attend.

Tickets E8 / E7 unwaged.
    There will be a discussion after the film and an opportunity to sign a petition.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭Suckler

The Green "Party" and their repective environmentalist followers would want to start coming up with energy ideas pretty quickly instead of shooting down potential energy generation and export sources.

The country is headed for financial austerity that will drive up the cost of living if we dont look inward for resources. We are far too dependant on importing oil and gas. The cost of these reources are only going to get higher.

Renewable energy has always been touted as our future saving grace but as soon as a wind turbine project is suggested for an area its quickly shot down as ruining the landscape. if I want to put up a private turbine generator wth the capacity to send power back to the grid, guaranteed An taisce or some other oppinionated group would be straight in to lodge objections. Its either the wind turbine or the Oil trucks trundling about the place.

As soon as an incinertor & power generation plant is mooted for an area, the greens are again out banging drums and crying not in our area. People would want to grasp the fact that we can't keep shoving our waste in to the ground and hope it goes away.

We can't afford to keep buyin in oil & gas at the rate we are. Peat production should be halted as soon as possible as the E.U. will soon put a stop to it. We need to invest in what we can internally produce and possibly export or we will be forever at the mercy of OPEC.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,650 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

reilig wrote: »
    As a dweller of the Lough Allen Basin, I have an open mind about it. If it is done properly, regulated and inspected properly, there should not be an issue with it. .

Thats a pretty big if - given a number of recent case histories in this country:(

Suckler wrote: »
    The country is headed for financial austerity that will drive up the cost of living if we dont look inward for resources. We are far too dependant on importing oil and gas. The cost of these reources are only going to get higher.

What makes you think the Irish consumer will see any benefit from this gas in terms of price and revenue:confused: - It will be sold at international market rates by these private companies just like imported gas!!

PS: Nuclear is the only long term viable option IMO anyway - and I agree with you about those poxy wind-farms, waste of money, ugly and totally inefficient!!

Birdnuts wrote: »
    What makes you think the Irish consumer will see any benefit from this gas in terms of price and revenue:confused: - It will be sold at international market rates by these private companies just like imported gas!!

PS: Nuclear is the only long term viable option IMO anyway - and I agree with you about those poxy wind-farms, waste of money, ugly and totally inefficient!!

You should read some articles on it. There was one in the Irish times a few weeks back that gave a view from both sides as opposed to the continuous green drone that we have heard up to this!!

The exploration is all taking place on private lands owned by private individuals. In order for the exploration companies to go onto these lands to "explore", they need to have permission from the landowner. They have already stated that they will pay compensation to any landowners in exchange for permission to go onto the land. If they find gas during these explorations and wish to remove it, they will have to buy it from the landowner.

In comparison to "recent case histories in this country" such as that with Shell in County Mayo who appear to have been given full permission to extract the gas from the Irish Shoreline without having to pay for it in any way or give a share of the profits back to the government. Instead, Shell get rich on the back of the Irish people while we continue for the next 50 years to pay back our loans to the IMF. The above exploration licences granted for the Lough Allen Basin are to private companies who must make deals with local landowners if they wish to explore on their privately owned land. If, in 20 years time, gas is to be extracted from the Lough Allen Basin, the landowners will be paid for it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Just out of interest where would your potential locations for nuclear plants be?

Corsendonk wrote: »
    Just out of interest where would your potential locations for nuclear plants be?

Dublin, Cork, Waterford, Galway and Limerick.
    Locate them close to the centres that use most electricity. Shorter cable networks will be required and it will be more profitable for them!! If all electricity in these cities was supplied by Nuclear Power, there would be enough capacity in existing (Rural Based) wind farms to power the rest of the country.

I have the same view on Incinerators for incinerating waste - they should be built in or on the outskirts of cities that produce the most waste. Yet several proposed sites in regional development plans are very rural based. Why should the rural people pay the price for the wasted produced in urban areas??

When they produce it, they should be able to deal with it!! :D:D:D

Corsendonk wrote: »

A number of suiteable East coast sites plus the Southern Shore of the Shannon Estuary spring to mind - possibly the lower Shannon River too:)

You should read some articles on it. There was one in the Irish times a few weeks back that gave a view from both sides as opposed to the continuous green drone that we have heard up to this!!

The exploration is all taking place on private lands owned by private individuals. In order for the exploration companies to go onto these lands to "explore", they need to have permission from the landowner. They have already stated that they will pay compensation to any landowners in exchange for permission to go onto the land. If they find gas during these explorations and wish to remove it, they will have to buy it from the landowner.

In comparison to "recent case histories in this country" such as that with Shell in County Mayo who appear to have been given full permission to extract the gas from the Irish Shoreline without having to pay for it in any way or give a share of the profits back to the government. Instead, Shell get rich on the back of the Irish people while we continue for the next 50 years to pay back our loans to the IMF. The above exploration licences granted for the Lough Allen Basin are to private companies who must make deals with local landowners if they wish to explore on their privately owned land. If, in 20 years time, gas is to be extracted from the Lough Allen Basin, the landowners will be paid for it.

I hope it works out like that - My concerns stem from the industries record in the US that has turned neighbour against neighbour

PS: I read the IT article too but I don't remember mentioning any revenue sharing agreements with land-owners - is there a link for such details??:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭Suckler

Maybe I'm being a bit simplistic in my expectations - I live in the middle east- Petrol is cheap because it is sourced down the road effectively.

The main point is that we would have the ability to produce our own energy. Off the top of my head, America uses something like 20 million barrels of oil a day ( Open to correction) either ways they use a colosal amount. We will not be able to compete with them if supplies are put under pressure. The ability to self support is always preferable. ( The way "we" have sold our resources to private companies is another rant)

I havent been fully sold on Nuclear but reality dictates we cant keep going the way we are and renexable ist an option at the moment. To remove Oil from the supply line for the UK (transport included), you'd have to cover every inch of land in PV cells at better-than-current-maximum efficiencies, and include wind / wave / hydro generation ... and you still don't come close !

Unfortunately, renewables just dont cut it...

• Advertisement

Suckler wrote: »
    Maybe I'm being a bit simplistic in my expectations - I live in the middle east- Petrol is cheap because it is sourced down the road effectively.

Unfortunatly that doesn't seem to be the model in Europe(North Sea Oil has not lead to cheap petrol in the UK for example) and certainly not in Ireland which doesn't even apply royalties to such finds:( - I can only put it down to the power of big oil/business over government in this part of the world which means the consumer/citizen comes a poor second:(

PS: I agree with you about renewables btw:)

I hope it works out like that - My concerns stem from the industries record in the US that has turned neighbour against neighbour

PS: I read the IT article too but I don't remember mentioning any revenue sharing agreements with land-owners - is there a link for such details??:)

I don't have a link unfortunately. I read it in the Irish Times. It was also published in Local Papers!!

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭NotCarrotRidge

Thats a pretty big if - given a number of recent case histories in this country:(

Which ones are those? The Irish regulatory regime for exploration is one of the strongest in the world.

Which ones are those? The Irish regulatory regime for exploration is one of the strongest in the world.

Is it?? - In any case I'm talking about extraction and potential pollution problems that come from fracking which is the subject of this thread - Irelands record on protecting local communties from sloppy industry is not good as farmers in parts of Limerick and Kilkenny will attest too!!:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Well, we need to do something quick. We are running out of oil at an alarming rate. We'll all be back on the bikes soon, if we're not careful......and we wont even have oil for the chain.:D

pakalasa wrote: »
    Well, we need to do something quick. We are running out of oil at an alarming rate. We'll all be back on the bikes soon, if we're not careful......and we wont even have oil for the chain.:D

Nuclear is the future M8;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tuppence

Heres the ink for the article in The Irish Times.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/weekend/2011/0611/1224298716471.html
    And Ronan has interviews with the two main players as links on the right of the article. Tbh I found these interviews enlightening. I do think there is a fair amount of spin involved. especially when private firms welcome the input of environmentalists!! And therefore I think people need to briefed up. Also in the main article when a councillor starts to talk about sinister vested interests I figure he is muddying the water, playing the man and not the ball. And he certainly is not acting in the interests of his constituents. Why cant people from Rossport be concerned about similar unproven exploration techniques that could be detrimental to health and livestock?

I am not involved with Cinema North West (I am beginning to think sadly am not!) nor the Green party but am a member of a non party aligned group called Claiming our Future. www.claimingourfuture.ie They were set up as a grassroots organisation with local subgroups calling for the need for political reform, environmental sustainability, lessen inequalities between people, create sustainable jobs. All volunteers, no agenda very much a social movement on the ground.

Anyway, My main concern is that people (and me!) get an opportunity to get as much information about this procedure as possible. And indeed the film is one useful way to reach as many people (more if it weren’t for the price. :( ) as possible and it’s a springboard to eventually come to an informed decision based on all the facts. And I suppose we aren’t here to review the film but if even some of the issues raised were proven then that would e enough in my view to halt this at a government level until firmer international statistics came through. E.g. The Environmental protection agency is due to have a review of current processes in America I believe in 2012/2013. I wouldnt trust an environmental regulator, with this type of new proceudre would they have the expertise for a start? We have been let down badly by regulators in the past.
    This coupled with the fact that it has been banned in France and it’s under review in England since the earth tremors/quake in Blackpool resulting from this procedure a few weeks ago is substantial cause for concern. My view would be that we cant let the economic climate force our hand on this, and we need to ensure that we act in the interests of people and lets face it our children in this situation. So halt until the facts come through?

It appears that it is many of those same farmers that are the worst effected by the negative health side effects of the fracking contaminating their drinking water etc that I wonder how many of them would sign over their land again if they had the decision again. And for fear of sounding green in every way (Cos I am not!) I really am proud of where I live, the food produce, the landscape that it’s also about investing in sustainable jobs in farming, in tourism in renewable energies. And it renegotiating those licences- we may get a better deal than Corrib but sure we are consistently getting fined for not meeting environmental targets that we’ll be paying back anyhow? :confused::(

And before you ask it I am not a "blow in" in Leitrim. My people gone before me lie up in the graveyard!! I just don’t want to be joining them anytime soon! ;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭garth-marenghi

I think refering to "blow ins" and "people protesting for the sake of protesting" or the fact that Green Party members are involved isnt really treating the issue with the respect and seriousness that it warrants.

I am not a green party supporter, quite the opposite actually, nor am I a blow in, nor do i protest for the sake of it. What I am concerned with is that there is a highly contraversial process been touted for the region I live in that may have serious consequences for the environmental and personal health of people not to mention the visual impact on the countryside of the apparatus needed for Fracking. Some may doubt the authenticity or reliability of Gasland as a documentary but surely it raises questions for even the most sceptical person.

The fact that France has voted to ban Fracking but surely get people thinking as as far as im aware the French government arent a bunch of green eco warrior protestor types;).

What we need is a good honest open debate where all facts are put on the table so a rational, ethical and safe decision is made that will benefit all interested stakeholders. We cant get cuaught up in making negative remarks about those who are objecting, raising questions, or for that matter people supporting the project. It cheapens the seriousness of the issue. It happened and is still happening with regards to the people in Rossport who are been smeared as Republicans, Anarchists etc. Councillor Mcgloin in the Times article quoted it seems is setting much the same tone refering to people with political agendas been inolved. This doesnt help debate and only breeds confrontation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LostCovey

..... the latest news is that John Perry (TD) has also promised to attend. So there is an opportunity for a good debate afterwards.

Well only if John takes that bath towel out of his mouth before he begins to speak.

If it is done properly, regulated and inspected properly, there should not be an issue with it.

Fukushima
    ...... there is huge potential for this tiny part of Ireland that hasn't had any economic development since the closure of Arigna Mines.

Well that wasn't a great example to use was it ? Lads working picks on their side in a couple of inches of water in a 2 foot high seam, and no showers, walk home in the wet dirty clothes.

I'd say leave it where it is for now, it's not going to devalue or go out of date.

LC

• Advertisement

I never suggested that you were a blow in.
    I am somewhat familiar with claiming our future and I admire many of their principles. I was trying to point that many of these protests are organised by people who are not from the area. They are professional protestors. They come into an area, create a load of media hype and don't allow people to hear both sides of the story. As I said in my post, I would like to hear from both sides of the argument before I make a decision. I said that I would like to have details of projects where Fracking was successful in finding Gas which supported local economies and brought significant economic development to a region with minimal environmental destruction. As I said, I'm not on either side in the argument, but I don't think its fair that one side should have all of the media attention on such an argument because it then becomes a competition between who can shout the loudest and gain the most media and support as opposed to what would be best for the local area both environmentally and economically - the area that both you and I live in.

If people who are against fracking want to treat the issue with the respect and seriousness that it warrants, they will allow the local people to make up their own minds on what is best for their area based on information from both sides. We have had enough of being told how to think and how to react from successive government parties and look at the mess that it has gotten us into.

Its not the 1950's. Many young people have moved back into this area at the end of their education. Levels of education are high among the majority of people and they are able to make their own decision without being influenced by anyone with a green or an economic agenda.

Give all the facts - the good and the bad - that's being respectful to the people of the area. That's being serious. People who have an alternative agenda should keep it to themselves!!!

EDIT:

Just to add a quote from www.claimingourfuture.ie
    Our 5 Values

• Equality for all
    • Environmental sustainability
    • Accountability from those in power
    • Participation by people in decision making that impacts on them
    • Solidarity between all sectors of society

The first, second, third and fourth points are the essence of what I was trying to say above.

Heres the ink for the article in The Irish Times.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/weekend/2011/0611/1224298716471.html
    And Ronan has interviews with the two main players as links on the right of the article. Tbh I found these interviews enlightening. I do think there is a fair amount of spin involved. especially when private firms welcome the input of environmentalists!! And therefore I think people need to briefed up. Also in the main article when a councillor starts to talk about sinister vested interests I figure he is muddying the water, playing the man and not the ball. And he certainly is not acting in the interests of his constituents. Why cant people from Rossport be concerned about similar unproven exploration techniques that could be detrimental to health and livestock?

I am not involved with Cinema North West (I am beginning to think sadly am not!) nor the Green party but am a member of a non party aligned group called Claiming our Future. www.claimingourfuture.ie They were set up as a grassroots organisation with local subgroups calling for the need for political reform, environmental sustainability, lessen inequalities between people, create sustainable jobs. All volunteers, no agenda very much a social movement on the ground.

Anyway, My main concern is that people (and me!) get an opportunity to get as much information about this procedure as possible. And indeed the film is one useful way to reach as many people (more if it weren’t for the price. :( ) as possible and it’s a springboard to eventually come to an informed decision based on all the facts. And I suppose we aren’t here to review the film but if even some of the issues raised were proven then that would e enough in my view to halt this at a government level until firmer international statistics came through. E.g. The Environmental protection agency is due to have a review of current processes in America I believe in 2012/2013. I wouldnt trust an environmental regulator, with this type of new proceudre would they have the expertise for a start? We have been let down badly by regulators in the past.
    This coupled with the fact that it has been banned in France and it’s under review in England since the earth tremors/quake in Blackpool resulting from this procedure a few weeks ago is substantial cause for concern. My view would be that we cant let the economic climate force our hand on this, and we need to ensure that we act in the interests of people and lets face it our children in this situation. So halt until the facts come through?

It appears that it is many of those same farmers that are the worst effected by the negative health side effects of the fracking contaminating their drinking water etc that I wonder how many of them would sign over their land again if they had the decision again. And for fear of sounding green in every way (Cos I am not!) I really am proud of where I live, the food produce, the landscape that it’s also about investing in sustainable jobs in farming, in tourism in renewable energies. And it renegotiating those licences- we may get a better deal than Corrib but sure we are consistently getting fined for not meeting environmental targets that we’ll be paying back anyhow? :confused::(

And before you ask it I am not a "blow in" in Leitrim. My people gone before me lie up in the graveyard!! I just don’t want to be joining them anytime soon! ;):D

What we need is a good honest open debate where all facts are put on the table so a rational, ethical and safe decision is made that will benefit all interested stakeholders. We cant get cuaught up in making negative remarks about those who are objecting, raising questions, or for that matter people supporting the project. It cheapens the seriousness of the issue. It happened and is still happening with regards to the people in Rossport who are been smeared as Republicans, Anarchists etc. Councillor Mcgloin in the Times article quoted it seems is setting much the same tone refering to people with political agendas been inolved. This doesnt help debate and only breeds confrontation.

My Point exactly. We need a good honest debate in order to make a decision that will benefit all stakeholders. It is wrong to make negative remarks about those proposing the project also! We need to have all information from both sides before we can make a decision. Politicians Like Councillor McGloin, Michael Colreavy, John Perry or Johnny Gogan are not our decision makers. As politicians (or failed politicians), they should represent our views rather than tell us how we should think. However, the flaw with many politicians is that they believe that the public reflect how they themselves think - which is not always the case.

So as you said, debate and consultation rather than dictation and spin will be the best way to arrive at a decision which will not only benefit the local environment, but the economy also.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

I agree totally that we need a good honest debate. But how do we engage all affected citizens in that debate rather than those that have loud voices. As an example (and slightly off topic) the mayo county development plan for the next number of years had very few submissions from the general public, the vast majority being from the loud voices. It is one thing to call for involvement, sadly quite another to stimulate an interest.

(notwithstanding that the content of submissions to the draft plan, then adjusted by managers orders, were completely overturned by the final councillors meeting back to the origional statement in the draft plan and the previous plan)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Felt I should be more specific about my above claim about the development plan:

The (now redundant) Mayo County Development Plan 2003-2009 stated in Development Control Guidelines: Section 4.1.2 Enforcement “In cases where development has commenced or is being carried out without planning permission or in breach of permission, the Council will consider taking enforcement action.”

The Draft Mayo County Development Plan 2007 stated in Development Management Guidelines:

Section 4.1.1 Enforcement “In cases where development has commenced or is being carried out without planning permission or in breach of permission, the Council will consider taking enforcement action.”

Following public submissions The Proposed Amendments to the Draft Mayo County Development Plan 2008-2014 stated in Development Management Guidelines:

Section 4.1.1 Enforcement “In cases where development has commenced or is being carried out without planning permission or in breach of permission, the Council will take enforcement action.”

The Managers Report on Submissions on the Proposed Amendments to the Draft Plan, The Draft Mayo County Development Plan 2008-2014 stated in the Managers Response to proposed amendment 4.1:

Recommendation 58: Development Management Guidelines: Section 4.1.1 Enforcement “In cases where development has commenced or is being carried out without planning permission or in breach of permission, the Council will take enforcement action in accordance with the provisions set out in Part VIII of the Planning and Development Act 2000 as amended.”

According to the minutes of the Mayo County Council Special Meeting on Monday 6 May 2008 (attended by Council Councillors, Council Staff and the Council Solicitor)

Item number 2 - to consider manager’s report on Submissions on the Proposed Amendments to the Draft Mayo County Development Plan 2008-2014, it was decided by resolution to amend recommendation 58 by replacing the words "take” with “consider taking”. There was no vote.

The adopted Mayo County Development Plan 2008-2014 now states in the Development Management Guidelines: Section 4.1.1 Enforcement “In cases where development has commenced or is being carried out without planning permission or in breach of permission, the Council will “consider taking” enforcement action.”

In my opinion this statement does not reflect the spirit of Irish or European law, and demonstrates the flaws of completely trusting the appropiate authorities.

There;'s a lot more coverage of this topic here http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/weekend/2011/0611/1224298716471.html

Apparently exploration licences have been issued, and this is moving forward - worth informing yourself on it whether you live in the area or not.

LC

And there's a five-min video here that's 'well' worth a look (sorry that is a terrible pun)

http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,2070533,00.html

LC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭frackingishell

Hi Folks,

a petition against fracking. would really appreciate signing and forwarding of it to as many people as you think would care- took us a while to put it together.

cheers

http://www.change.org/petitions/ban-...ing-in-ireland

(ps- the website might be a bit up and down today as they said they were getting cyber attacks from china after ai wei wei petition got him released before the chinese visit to Britain last week).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tuppence

I never suggested that you were a blow in.
    I am somewhat familiar with claiming our future and I admire many of their principles. I was trying to point that many of these protests are organised by people who are not from the area. They are professional protestors. They come into an area, create a load of media hype and don't allow people to hear both sides of the story. As I said in my post, I would like to hear from both sides of the argument before I make a decision. I said that I would like to have details of projects where Fracking was successful in finding Gas which supported local economies and brought significant economic development to a region with minimal environmental destruction. As I said, I'm not on either side in the argument, but I don't think its fair that one side should have all of the media attention on such an argument because it then becomes a competition between who can shout the loudest and gain the most media and support as opposed to what would be best for the local area both environmentally and economically - the area that both you and I live in.

If people who are against fracking want to treat the issue with the respect and seriousness that it warrants, they will allow the local people to make up their own minds on what is best for their area based on information from both sides. We have had enough of being told how to think and how to react from successive government parties and look at the mess that it has gotten us into.

Its not the 1950's. Many young people have moved back into this area at the end of their education. Levels of education are high among the majority of people and they are able to make their own decision without being influenced by anyone with a green or an economic agenda.

Give all the facts - the good and the bad - that's being respectful to the people of the area. That's being serious. People who have an alternative agenda should keep it to themselves!!!

EDIT:

Just to add a quote from www.claimingourfuture.ie

The first, second, third and fourth points are the essence of what I was trying to say above.

I appreciate you admire most of the COF principles . So okay we wont mention the last one but if you keep mentioning 'agendas' and 'blowins; we wont be getting to solidarity any time soon!! ;):D

Gasland the movie for those of you who havent seen it to kick start ones information journey is below . The internet site also includes information on the townlands that the licences are granted for.
    http://what-the-frack.org/gas-land-the-movie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

could somepne explain what "fracking" is without bias

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

keep going wrote: »
    could somepne explain what "fracking" is without bias

It is simply a way of extracting oil from shale. There are huge deposits of oil in shale around the world. However it is an expensive process and only now with both a high price and falling supply (in the medium term) is it becoming economical to do it

Advertisement