Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

14-05-2011, 23:16   #1
Inquitus

New UPC 100mb Thomson TWG870UIR Router

I have searched this forum and seen alot of people have alot of grief with the Docsis 2.0 combined router / cable modem.

I am finding it impossible to get this docsis 3.0 version to play nice and just stay in its box and be a cable modem, and let my existing infrastructure do the rest. Is it possible? am I wasting my time? 100Mb is great and all but if you are forced to use an intransigent PoS cable modem router combo that's just being a bollox for the sake of being a bollox.

Atm my interwebs works fine throughout the house, but no port forwarding will work at all.

All help gladly received.
Advertisement
14-05-2011, 23:26   #2
Sam the Sham

This was my fear. I'm afraid that if the Thomson can't be made to act as a simple modem, that's a dealbreaker for me.

Have you tried logging in as "admin" with a blank password?
14-05-2011, 23:37   #3
Inquitus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam the Sham View Post
This was my fear. I'm afraid that if the Thomson can't be made to act as a simple modem, that's a dealbreaker for me.

Have you tried logging in as "admin" with a blank password?
I have logged in, am very tech savvy and can't for the life of me make it work as a cable modem alone.
14-05-2011, 23:42   #4
Skittle

The Thomson doesn't have a bridge mode (ignore what the manual says about the Wireless Bridge functionality). The best you can do is to see what IP address that you current router gets when plugged into the Thomson and then add that IP address as the DMZ IP address on the Thomson and it should pass everything through.

There is no way you'll be able to get 50Mb or 100Mb broadband from UPC without using the Thomson.

Last edited by Skittle; 14-05-2011 at 23:42. Reason: Spelling
14-05-2011, 23:47   #5
Sam the Sham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skittle View Post
There is no way you'll be able to get 50Mb or 100Mb broadband from UPC without using the Thomson.
I'll stick with 30Mb then. Does UPC not realise that a big part of the market for high-end broadband will be technically savvy people who will have their own routers they'd like to keep using? At the very least they should pick a router that can be used in bridge mode (or allow this one to be used in that way if it can).
Advertisement
15-05-2011, 00:14   #6
The Left Hand Of God
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam the Sham View Post
I'll stick with 30Mb then. Does UPC not realise that a big part of the market for high-end broadband will be technically savvy people who will have their own routers they'd like to keep using? At the very least they should pick a router that can be used in bridge mode (or allow this one to be used in that way if it can).
I intend to ask the engineer when here is in my gaff next week if there is a stand alone modem available, no wireless/router etc. That is what I always got before. Have you asked UPC if there is one?

So far though using that DMZ thing my port forwarding seems to be working fine for the like of uTorrent.
Thanks from:
15-05-2011, 10:21   #7
slave1

I got my 100mb installed on Thursday and have not touched any settings on it and utorrent is flying at up to 8mb/sec, think I'll leave as is if all working well
15-05-2011, 10:31   #8
Sam the Sham

Quote:
Originally Posted by slave1 View Post
I got my 100mb installed on Thursday and have not touched any settings on it and utorrent is flying at up to 8mb/sec, think I'll leave as is if all working well
With all due respect, that's missing the point. There's no reason general internet use shouldn't be grand with the new modem/router even if you have your own router, since all it's adding is an extra hop. But for any actual routing (NAT or QoS setups), having two routers is not ideal. It complicates setup.

For example, I have an Airport Extreme router with several hard drives attached to it that function as NAS drives. I need to be able to get to mount these drives when I'm at work or abroad. With Back-to-my-mac, I can do that very reliably. If I have another router between the Airport Extreme and the internet, I have no confidence that this will still be possible or, if it is, reliable.
Thanks from:
15-05-2011, 14:37   #9
slave1

I was replying directly to The Left Hand Of God's utorrent comment, not a general comment
Advertisement
15-05-2011, 19:08   #10
vibe666

Send a message via ICQ to vibe666 Send a message via MSN to vibe666 Send a message via Skype™ to vibe666
i'm actually having the same issues. at first i thought i was doing okay as everything seemed to work fine, but i hadn't looked at the port forwards to my NAS etc. and they're not working since i got the thompson in.

i have my router in the dmz of the thompson, but they still aren't working at all.

i even tried a blanket port forward for everything directly to the dmz host, but that made no difference either.

if i have to manually replicate every port forward on both routers every time i want to set one up it's going to be a major PITA, even if it actually works.
15-05-2011, 20:02   #11
Sam the Sham

One thing I'd like to see clarified:

Is it that the Thomson cannot be made to function as a mere modem (i.e., in bridge mode) or is it that UPC has disabled that capability?

Also, can someone explain why we can't buy our own docsis 3.0 modems?
15-05-2011, 20:22   #12
Inquitus

How are people setting this up? Atm I have internet at all PCs, PS3s etc, but no ability to access stuff from the web as the port forwarding is FUBAR, and I can't stream from my PC to my PS3 using PS3 media server.

Do you have DHCP on on the Thompson?
What local IP etc do you assign to the Thompson?

Atm I have my netgear doing DHCP on a 192.168.1.2-xxxx range with its own ip as 192.168.1.1

The Thompson is on 192.168.11.7 set manually

If I try to put the Thompson in the 192.168.1.xxx range I get no internets and obv I can only set my netgear to be on the DMZ if they are both in the same ip range.

Doing my head in tbh.

Inq

Last edited by Inquitus; 15-05-2011 at 20:25.
16-05-2011, 03:21   #13
roast

Send a message via MSN to roast Send a message via Yahoo to roast Send a message via Skype™ to roast
Heres a small tut that I wrote about this a few months ago. This should sort you out.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showp...&postcount=452

-Mick.
16-05-2011, 03:27   #14
AlmightyCushion

Quote:
Originally Posted by roast View Post
Heres a small tut that I wrote about this a few months ago. This should sort you out.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showp...&postcount=452

-Mick.
Does doing that still let you use the phone service?
16-05-2011, 03:29   #15
roast

Send a message via MSN to roast Send a message via Yahoo to roast Send a message via Skype™ to roast
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmightyCushion View Post
Does doing that still let you use the phone service?
I don't have the phone service myself, but from other reports, I believe that the phone service works fine.
I'll be getting a phone next week.... so I can confirm then.
(2) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion