Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick City Forum Feedback Thread.

Options
  • 10-04-2011 11:20pm
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Nope, not a late April Fool's Joke. :)

I wasn't expecting it to take 3 months, but, since the feedback thread earlier this year we've been working towards updating the charter to reflect how this forum (and, indeed, the whole website) has changed since 2004.

Not much will be changing. The same guidelines/rules/expectations still apply. The charter will just be laid out a bit differently, with more helpful links and a few re-affirmations of what we'd all like to see here.

Hopefully this time the structures and procedures will be a bit clearer to posters (both new and experienced), more informative, and more open to communication between posters and moderators. Less didactic, more common-sense.

The plan is to re-introduce a stickied forum-feedback thread as well, for real-time updates from posters. ( I'll probably just be lazy and sticky this thread. :pac: ) The options of reporting posts/ PM'ing a mod will still be available, and encouraged. Not every small incident will require large-scale feedback.

I should be posting everything up here sometime on Tuesday. If anyone has any last-minute queries/suggestions, post here or PM me.

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Thunderbirds are go! :)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056236733

The main points are in the OP. Some of them are developed with links to the site guidelines and the FAQ. Others are explained in further detail from posts #2 to #5.

We'll be keeping this thread open for feedback, both positive and negative. As I said above, PMs and reporting posts are also fine for contacting the mods. I prefer to act as a facilitator here as much as possible, not as an enforcer. :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

"Upsetting Situation" thread removed for a while until I can clean it up. Some posts there over-stepped the line. I'll try to have it open again with 24 hours.

Based on advice from the guys who keep this site working (Dav, Conor and Ross, to be precise) we'll be making a few changes to the front page of the forum in the near future.

We currently have 7 sticky threads. That will have to be cut back down to 3, including the Charter. The remaining threads will be compiled in one post with links to make sure they're still easily accessible.

Which 2 of the remaining six should we sticky? I'd like to keep this thread and the Random Waffle thread sticky as well, but I'd like to get a bit of feedback first.

Over to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,455 ✭✭✭sioda

Gonna ask the obvious question why do we have remove the stickys?
    I mean the food thread has kept where do i eat threads out of the main page. The stuff to do page is essential imo.

You'll hate me for it, but I can't tell you why yet. :)

It's probably going to be at least a month or so before we have to change anything though. Very early days yet. The limit of three stickies is still being debated behind the scenes. The change is going to apply to every forum, not just this one. With that in mind, it could happen that a higher limit will be asked for before anything changes.

• Advertisement

conspiracy rabble rabble :)
    well i suppose stuff to do the food thread and local websites could be combined.
    Four would be a better limit

sioda wrote: »
    Four would be a better limit

I agree with you there!

I might have a word with Mr E about how he managed the Restaurants thread. It might be easier to re-arrange if I could tidy it up the way he used to.

Things To Do In... probably needs updating as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭Irish Wolf

Just a quick question on this particular thread, IO - has it not been locked aside from the update you made re the "Upsetting Situation" thread until this evening?

Just wondering, if it has, then I don't really see a point of a feedback thread when no-one can post in it, and the need to keep it as a sticky? If not, my apologies. Or is the purpose to open it when the mods want feedback from the users?

I guess a few of the current stickies could be combined into a general "Entertainment" thread - if you ask posters to maybe add a category suggestion to their post (e.g. restaurants/stuff to do/links/bargains) and maintain 3/4 posts on the opening page for each category?

Hey - feedback! :)

Irish Wolf wrote: »
    Just a quick question on this particular thread, IO - has it not been locked aside from the update you made re the "Upsetting Situation" thread until this evening?

Just wondering, if it has, then I don't really see a point of a feedback thread when no-one can post in it, and the need to keep it as a sticky? If not, my apologies. Or is the purpose to open it when the mods want feedback from the users?

Nope, this thread has been open since the night I first posted it. :) It was sitting right next to the Charter, which is locked, until I bumped it. Maybe the padlock next to the charter thread was causing confusion?
    Irish Wolf wrote: »
    I guess a few of the current stickies could be combined into a general "Entertainment" thread - if you ask posters to maybe add a category suggestion to their post (e.g. restaurants/stuff to do/links/bargains) and maintain 3/4 posts on the opening page for each category?

Hey - feedback! :)

That's a possibility. I'd say I'll have to think this one through a fair bit! All suggestions are welcome though.

Plus there would have to be accounting for temporary stickies eg one for outbreak around its time.

Thus is is x amount of permanent plus the option of one or two temporary

• Advertisement

Plus there would have to be accounting for temporary stickies eg one for outbreak around its time.

That's true alright. I'll mention it in the Mods Forum. Like I said above, we could be I'd say the solution to that would be greater use of the "Announcement" function. It'd be a great way to highlight events that don't require permanent sticky threads.
    Thus is is x amount of permanent plus the option of one or two temporary

I'll quote Dav's advice:
    I'd say 3 is plenty so if you had Charter and maybe an index of useful threads you still have room for one more.

Needless to say, not everyone is agreeing with this. :) We'll find a way of working with whatever we get, and finding out what suits users here will help with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

psssh, use how many you like, and when they eventually notice THEN change it for a while, then change back when they're not looking! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,389 ✭✭✭jonski

This is harder than Sophie's Choice

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Ok keep the Charter and this thread - thats two with one space left. Obviously the waffle thread can possibly stay.

In the Charter one, would it be possible to add in a post to it with links to the bargain alerts/restaurant/local limerick sites/stuff threads?

Mc Love wrote: »
    In the Charter one, would it be possible to add in a post to it with links to the bargain alerts/restaurant/local limerick sites/stuff threads?

That's the plan, definitely. Might make a new one for mechanics as well!

Ha ha definitely! Would there be much point in changing the title of forum to Limerick City and environs as many people from the 'burbs post here.

I don't have the power to do that... :(

Some day, maybe!

Well you are in a better position to make suggestions than I

Either that, or I start moving every Dooradoyle/Raheen/Castletroy thread over to Limerick County... >_>

:pac:

you could do that :)

• Advertisement

Nope, this thread has been open since the night I first posted it. :)

Welp, so much for specsavers giving me the 20/20, I knew my eyes would catch up eventually with my age!

Speaking of seeing things, what happened to the "arrested again" thread? Was looking forward to having a read of that when I got home from work.

I'll have a more concise answer for you soon (the guys in the office are waiting for the legal team to come back with exact information) and I'll update the Charter with it, but for now this post explains the disappearance of the "Arrested Again" thread. It's complicated, but unfortunately we (the mods) have been asked to implement it all over the site:
    Dav wrote: »
    Hello all,

This one's very important. You may have seen recently that a court case in Clare regarding a GP who's accused of defrauding families collapsed because of something published in the Times and the Examiner. They're likely to have to foot the bill for the entire trial - the judge hasn't decided but concedes that they didn't act out of malice and that as it was unintentional, it's Technical Contempt.

This is something we have, I believe, discussed before, but with this recent news and an emerging trend of defence teams increasingly looking for these sorts of issues to collapse trials, we are making it clear and stated policy of Boards.ie that you can no longer discuss an active/sitting court case as pretty much any sort of commentary on the issue can be classified as contempt. Offering opinion on the innocence or guilt of the parties involved for example is a definite no-no.

This is simply too big a risk to determine where the "safe" levels of discussion are, so it's easier to make a blanket ban on current case discussion.

This comes from the top - the directors of the company can be jailed for contempt on the whims of a judge who feels they deserve it and given the Irish Legal System's complete inability to work with (never mind understand) the Internet and all that it entails, I'd really rather not have to try and talk to DeVore at visiting hours in the 'Joy :)

So effective immediately, current court cases are a no-no. This, I'm afraid folks, isn't up for debate. We don't like "issuing" rules like this without some manner of discussion but I'm afraid that's not an option in this case.

Thank you for your time.

Edit: explained in greater detail in this After Hours thread.

Aye, thought it might be along those lines...

[omar]fair 'nuf[/omar]

I've added the following list of popular, useful and/or regular-topic threads to the Local Websites thread. A few of our stickies are getting unstuck. The "Today's Cheapest Petrol" thread was unstuck last year and still shows up regularly, so it would be great if posters could keep bumping up the regular threads to the front page whenever they have new info. :)

Useful/popular threads:
    Restaurants & Take-away Thread
    Today's Cheapest Petrol thread.
    Need a job. (job vacancy alerts)
    Stuff To Do In Limerick
    Forum Feedback
    Random Waffle Thread (for chat & general discussion)
    Bargain Alerts
    Images From Limerick
    Where Am I? (local pictures game thread)
    Limerick FC (for local soccer)

This thread can also be accessed from links in the Charter thread.

still think a limit of three is to low

We're trying to make the site more mobile browser-friendly. An updated Boards Mobile is coming in the next few months. Early tests are showing problems when there's a fourth (or higher) sticky thread at the top of a forum. I don't know if that's supposed to be a secret or not, but it's the reason behind the change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Jigga

I've added the following list of popular, useful and/or regular-topic threads to the Local Websites thread. A few of our stickies are getting unstuck. The "Today's Cheapest Petrol" thread was unstuck last year and still shows up regularly, so it would be great if posters could keep bumping up the regular threads to the front page whenever they have new info. :)

Useful/popular threads:
    Restaurants & Take-away Thread
    Today's Cheapest Petrol thread.
    Stuff To Do In Limerick
    Forum Feedback
    Random Waffle Thread (for chat & general discussion)
    Bargain Alerts
    Images From Limerick
    Where Am I? (local pictures game thread)
    Limerick FC (for local soccer)

This thread can also be accessed from links in the Charter thread.
    How about adding the Need a Job? thread to the above?

I've removed the thread about Sunday's crash at Punch's Cross.

Charter breaches: inappropriate language; back-seat modding; general incivility.

Personal abuse is not tolerated here, no matter who it's aimed at. Keep that in mind when I re-open the thread later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Icky Thump

why was the thread about the gardai ignoring a call closed??? obviously its a major issue which is ignored by someone with more power than brain cells.

the mods in the limerick forum are way too inconsistant. they shut everything they personally dont agree with.

i would name a certain mod who thinks he is a journo but that would be unfair. but he needs to cop on and stop thinking about his own views and start modding proper

and yes this is a limerick issue as its a local forum issue

is this something im paranoid about or is this a widespread issue???

please dont mention mod names as this is a not a thread to attack mods its a thread about the standard of modding here.

please no personal attacks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭FR.Ted Crilly

Yes you have got balls my good man, the problem is there are to many moderators with self intrest on this site, if the mods can go do what they like its a pointless exercise for all who participate with posting and who mod ethically another words i agree. :pac:

Advertisement