Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MUX 2 launch date ?

Options
  • 22-03-2011 5:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭

When is Mux2 due to start nationwide ?

Currently Spur hill only has Mux1 on Ch45

and Mullaghanish has Mux1 on Ch21 with Mux2 on Ch24 (occasionaly)

all of the above show the same 18 channels, 8 tv and 10 radio
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,481 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

pa990 wrote: »
    When is Mux2 due to start nationwide ?

There's been no official announcement.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

The Cush wrote: »
    There's been no official announcement.

Well, there has. RTE 2 HD will be broadcasting on it in September this year.

Well, there has. RTE 2 HD will be broadcasting on it in September this year.

There's been no RTÉNL announcement regarding the nationwide operational start of Mux 2.

The Ministerial Decision requires RTÉjr/RTÉ1+1 to start transmitting from Mux 2 from Sept 1st. RTÉ 2 HD is also required to be carried from the second mux - no date specified in the decision.

Could it be available from the national launch of Saorview at the end of May?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

There's been no RTÉNL announcement regarding the nationwide operational start of Mux 2.

The Ministerial Decision requires RTÉjr/RTÉ1+1 to start transmitting from Mux 2 from Sept 1st. RTÉ 2 HD is also required to be carried from the second mux - no date specified in the decision.

Could it be available from the national launch of Saorview at the end of May?

Of course it could. It could be available from April 19th. The launch was supposed to be end of April/begining of May. Now it sounds like the end of May.

But then again, it was supposed to be 2009.

They do not tell anyone anything.

Now it sounds like the end of May.

End of May is the plan right now
    Mary Curtis, Director of Digital Switch Over, RTÉ, said:

“This public information campaign will explain how people can easily make the switch to the new SAORVIEW service and enjoy the benefits of free digital television. The SAORVIEW service will be launched at the end of May this year,” she concluded.

http://www.saorview.ie/news/saorview-launches-public-information-campaign/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Or 1999 even.
    Most of the RTE staff do not know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭qhe0i9zvfgdou8

Lads I'm going to show my ignorance on the subject what is a mux and does the fact a second one is been launched affect how we receive the channels.

Lads I'm going to show my ignorance on the subject what is a mux and does the fact a second one is been launched affect how we receive the channels.

From the Broadcasting Act
    “multiplex” means an electronic system which combines programme
    material and related and other data in a digital form
    and the transmission
    of that material and data so combined by means of wireless
    telegraphy directly or indirectly for reception by the general public;

From http://www.saorview.ie/help/glossary/#m
    Multiplex (mux) – In practical terms it might be a single frequency that contains a number of different digital TV or radio programmes.

Multiplex (mux), as used in these forums, is the name given to a UHF frequency channel carrying a combination of digital TV/radio/data. A second multiplex allow more digital TV/radio/data to be carried.

Analogue UHF Ch 21 (470-478 MHz i.e. 8 MHz wide) - 1 analogue TV channel e.g. RTÉ 1

DTT UHF Ch 21 (Mux) (470-478 MHz i.e. 8 MHz wide) - 7/8 digital TV channels, 9/10 radio channels, Digital Teletext/Interactive services

rates.jpg

The effect of requiring a second mux doubles the cost of the service. This means, either the cost for each channel doubles, or RTE NL are left carrying the exta capacity as a charge on them. Either way, opening the second mux is an additional cost. Is it necessary at this time? Will we now get the shopping and slapper channels we all crave?

From the Broadcasting Act

From http://www.saorview.ie/help/glossary/#m

Multiplex (mux), as used in these forums, is the name given to a UHF frequency channel carrying a combination of digital TV/radio/data. A second multiplex allow more digital TV/radio/data to be carried.

Analogue UHF Ch 21 (470-478 MHz i.e. 8 MHz wide) - 1 analogue TV channel e.g. RTÉ 1

DTT UHF Ch 21 (Mux) (470-478 MHz i.e. 8 MHz wide) - 7/8 digital TV channels, 9/10 radio channels, Digital Teletext/Interactive services

rates.jpg

Thanks for the info I have a better understanding now I think :confused: so basically the second mux is another channel where extra programmes will be broadcast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,410 ✭✭✭swoofer

not quite, a channel would be say RTE3 but it would be carried on the second multiplex or mux for short. A mux can carry more than one channel but it will be on one frequency so for me on CH48 I get the current MUX of rte1 etc.

To be honest its not really that important but use of channel incorrectly may confuse yourself.

so a MUX = a frequency band and on that band there will be a number of channels ie tv and radio broadcast.

mux 1 = active and full

mux 2 = to be activated in the future.

gb--

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

A mux takes same space (roughly) as an Analogue channel used to take.

It's a Multiplexed serial data stream of any number of individual data for Video, sound, teletext, EPG, other data whatever up to the capacity of the bitrate. Unused capacity is stuffed with dummy data. So the number of Digital TV channels possible in the space of an old Analogue channel depends on resolution and quality also the amount of other data such as EPG, Interactive, Radio etc.

So a Mux is an RF channel, but not a TV channel. In analogue era only one TV channel fitted in an RF channel (it didn't quite fill it as solidly as a mux does though).

Ah right I think I have it now Thanks lads ye're a mine of information

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭dmm1000

If and when RTE go live with the 2nd Mux will the channel chosen be close to (numerically) the channel number of Mux 1.

If it is required that we need to invest in a "grouped" aerial in the near future would we be better wait until Mux 2 is live i.e

Is there a possibility that for example RTE would put Mux 2 on a far higher channel number than Mux 1 meaning that an aerial in a certain "group" would work on one mux and not the other ?

Of course a wideband aerial would not have this potential problem - but if any of us are thinking of buying a "grouped" aerial should we wait until Mux 2 appears ?

dmm1000 wrote: »
    If and when RTE go live with the 2nd Mux will the channel chosen be close to (numerically) the channel number of Mux 1.

If it is required that we need to invest in a "grouped" aerial in the near future would we be better wait until Mux 2 is live i.e

Is there a possibility that for example RTE would put Mux 2 on a far higher channel number than Mux 1 meaning that an aerial in a certain "group" would work on one mux and not the other ?

Of course a wideband aerial would not have this potential problem - but if any of us are thinking of buying a "grouped" aerial should we wait until Mux 2 appears ?

Mux 2 and any future muxes should be in the same aerial group as Mux 1. If not RTÉNL will advise the use of a wideband aerial.

With only 51 sites in the revised DTT plan it should be possible to fit the 2 muxes and future 6 muxes into the same aerial group.

Two muxes are here tonight (with the same content). Previously if I remember correctly the mux on Ch 24 shut down in the evening and powered up next morning.

Are we getting closer to to the switch on of the second mux? Two and a half weeks to the end of RTÉ 2 Temporary channel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭glineli

I posted the same question on another thread, so sorry mods about that.

I have a samsung tv, i think it can only pick up one digital channel e.g. 48 for Meaghara. So if another Meaghara Mux starts up for example on 46, do you need to point to both 48 and 46?

glineli wrote: »
    I have a samsung tv, i think it can only pick up one digital channel e.g. 48 for Meaghara. So if another Meaghara Mux starts up for example on 46, do you need to point to both 48 and 46?

On my Sony it placed the second mux in the 800's automatically, probably because they were duplicates of mux 1. I did a manual retune of Ch 24 (mux 2) on Mullaghanish and manually stored them below the mux 1 channels (9-16).

On my Sony it placed the second mux in the 800's automatically, probably because they were duplicates of mux 1. I did a manual retune of Ch 24 (mux 2) on Mullaghanish and manually stored them below the mux 1 channels (9-16).

Thanks, so you are picking up mux 1 channel ? and mux 2 channel 24? Maybe it will all be ok on the night so.

thanks

glineli wrote: »
    Thanks, so you are picking up mux 1 channel ? and mux 2 channel 24?
    Yes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Pat Gleeson

I did a recsan on PS3 / PlayTV and it indicated 34 channels (presumably a duplicate of the existing 17 channels), but the number available reverted to 17 at the end of the scan. The existing 17 channels are still displayed on the PlayTV EPG.
    The PlayTV OSD does not show what channels are being scanned. Signal quality was 85% and 100% on Mux 2.

I did a recsan on PS3 / PlayTV and it indicated 34 channels (presumably a duplicate of the existing 17 channels), but the number available reverted to 17 at the end of the scan. The existing 17 channels are still displayed on the PlayTV EPG.
    The PlayTV OSD does not show what channels are being scanned. Signal quality was 85% and 100% on Mux 2.

That would be normal, it deletes duplicates and takes the strongest signal ones.

A second mux would carry different channels. That is why they are using the same set, I presume.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Machinehead

Mux on ch.24 from Mulla gone since about 5pm. No channel 55 mux 2 testing started on Maghera atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Souriau

I rescan for Cairn Hill and no extra Mux, just Mux 1 on RF c47.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Pat Gleeson

The second Mux on Woodcock Hill appears to be on Ch. 51

• Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Mux on ch.24 from Mulla gone since about 5pm. No channel 55 mux 2 testing started on Maghera atm.

Sorry didn't understand that :( ....... is the second mux transmitting from Maghera?

Sorry didn't understand that :( ....... is the second mux transmitting from Maghera?

I dont think so, i scanned last night after i read this post, didnt find anything on ch 55 anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Machinehead

Excuse my poor grammar. My point was that whereas the 2nd mux had restarted from Mullaghanish, ch 55 was still quiet from Maghera. When mux 2 was fired up from Mullaghanish the 2nd mux on Maghera was usually lit up as well, but not this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭glimmerman123

Mux 2 not fired up from Maghera.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭EdmondShiels3

mux 2 on from mt. leinster showing tg4, 3e, rte news now on ch 54

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement