Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Continuing Adventures of Catweazle

Options
  • 28-01-2011 10:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭

If you want to read stories of high ranking finishes, massive improvements in PB's, disciplined diet and structured training you need to take your business elsewhere to other triathlon logs but if epic blowouts, failed targets, haphazard training and detailed battles with other mid packers are your thing read on!

Last years log is here so hopefully this year I am moving onwards and up. This years challenge is the same as last year, my target is the Humbert Challenge 1/2 Ironman

I liked this race so much last year that I am happy enough to make it my focus again this year. The race report is here

This year I am hoping to make a big dent into that time and I am targeting sub 5.30. My worst split is always the bike so I have done around 1000k on the turbo over the winter months. Nearly all done in big gears and low cadence as I cant go up hills to save my life. Nature and educational dvds have been swiftly dumped and I am halfway through season 3 of The Wire. My goal at the Humbert is too come off the bike in around the same time as last year, maybe just under 3 hours but to have running legs this time and get in under 2 hours on the run.

After much soul searching I am not doing the Connemarathon this year, I felt I gradually went downhill after Connemara and my early stage of the season would be too run focused again, so maybe if I am still enjoying my training I will look at an Autumn marathon. I have 2 just under 8k circuits from the house which I try and do one most days and I will do the long runs on the saturday, decent ride on sunday mornings with a small brick after. Swimming sessions isn't as easy as it was last year, I work mainly from home now so while it is great for lunchtime runs and evening turbo sessions the pool isn't as near anymore so its an early morning start three times a week to get back to the house for 9. I am using Interested plans for swimming, i would hope to get huge benefit from these. I think I was guilty of doing junk miles last year in the pool, while I could swim forever I never made any real improvement in my times. I am coming out of the pool exhausted these days doing way less distance per session than last year so that must be a good thing.

My other main plan this year is too race less - come the summer last year I was nearly out every second weekend. So I was either resting up preparing for a race or recovering after it. It cost me a fortune as well between the race entry and travel. In both the Marathon and 1/2 Ironman I blew up big time, maybe it was or wasn't a factor but I will play close attention to getting some type of nutrition strategy together this year.

Plans are very tentative with wedding season still to be finalised but hoping for these key races

Feb - The two local clubs Predator and Tri Lakes are doing Duathlons over the next month or so, I think theres 5 in all so I hope to do 2. I am put off this weekend as some of the route is off road, the recommendation is to use MTBs and I don't want to risk my road bike on that.

March - Craughwell 10 mile (2010 - 75.20). This might be the hardest one to beat as I had so much running done for Connemara, and I was at my lowest weightwise (tapering doesnt suit my weight). To add to the mix i am over in London to meet friends and don't get back to the day before. But I would be delighted if I could dip under 75 minutes

April - ???

May - More than likely the Spiddal Triathlon, not sure if I will go for the Sprint or Olympic. I started last year with the Joey Hannon Olympic and it was a shock to the system so maybe a gentle opening with a Sprint

June - Hell of the West, its over a month away from the Humbert so maybe use it as a hard training session before the taper. It gets such good reports I would like to give it a go. I would also like to do one big cycle so maybe The Tour de Burren or Wicklow 200 (I want the 90k distance to be far less intimidating than it was last year)

July - Achill Half Marathon, we have the use of a house up there usually so it is always on the calendar for me. Its a great race anyways. I am unsure whether to go Hells Belles or not in this, I didnt last year to save myself for the Humbert and it didn't seem to work on the run in the Humbert. I think I will go for it this year, maybe even do a bike beforehand and leave it as the last major training session, Humbert isn't on for another 3 weeks.

July - Humbert Challenge

August - ???

September - ???

Thats it for me so, plans a little woozy but they will come together closer to the season start

Main targets are (some soft but milestones anyways)

Current 5k - 20.57 / 2011 (sub 20)
    Current 10k - 45.01 / 2011 43.xx
    Current 10m - 75.20 / 2011 (sub 75)
    Current 1/2 M - 1.44.49 / 2011 1.39.xx
    Current Mar - 4.19 / 2011 (sub 4)
    Humbert 6.17.54 / 2011 (sub 5.30)

In triathlons its harder to call times depending on weather etc but I would hope to get into the top 25% of certainly all Sprint and maybe Olympic races I do. The longer you go the better the triathlete in my opinion (Top 25% in Swinford last year would have been sub 5.15 so that's out)

Other objectives is of course to renew my battles with my fellow mid packer arch nemesis's, so along with The School Friend, The Club Mate, The GAA friend, the strong cyclist and the Frenchie I have added two new ones to the list "The Gaeilgeoir" who may well be my most powerful foe yet and a new untested nemesis mysteriously known as "The Chiropracter".

Training is going well so far, I need to get in more swimming but already this month I will have done more than a third of what I did in total on the bike last year so its a good start

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

Great stuff CW, well laid out plans and objectives.

Looking forward to reading all about these battles with the arch nemeisisis's... there's plenty of them on the list!

Great training on all fronts so far by the sounds of things, keep up the good work.

All the best, Mac.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Best of luck this year CW, I will be keeping a close eye on the log. Enjoyed reading the race report from last years 1/2 ironman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Best of luck against the new nemeses Catweazle:D.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭ronanmac

Welcome back, glad to see that you've been flushed out finally with a new training log! I have to say that I'm extremely disappointed with my nickname, presuming indeed that I am The Gaeilgeoir. I was hoping for something much cooler like The Smiling Assassin, or even Conamara Killer would have done...

Our initial showdown will probably be Spiddal, I'd say I'll go for the sprint myself to start things off. Well done on all the recent bike work. You might want to slow down a bit with the training though, you don't want to wear yourself out too soon :D. Just some helpful nemesis to nemesis advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Well I better at least spell your name right anyways, and I called Mrs C who is a primary school teacher in to spell it for me. Those poor kids.

You are as well off with the sprint, you have loads of time till Galway 70.3 and one of your first open water swims this year will be a 1500m swim in Spiddal harbour which is not a gentle introduction.

Most of the big guns will do the Olympic as well so we will get hopefully an artificial high placing in the sprint for a good confidence builder ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

catweazle wrote: »
    If you want to read stories of high ranking finishes, massive improvements in PB's, disciplined diet and structured training you need to take your business elsewhere to other triathlon logs but if epic blowouts, failed targets, haphazard training and detailed battles with other mid packers are your thing read on!

Excellent, at last, a like minded soul amongst the big dogs:)

Great to see you back in the saddle!

Loads of juggling this weekend but still wasn't able to fit in a long run.

Saturday was 2 hours on the turbo, I was hoping to do a short brick run after it but decided a long walk with MrsC was the safer option. I found the walk harder, Mrs C power walks away and its just in between either a slow trot or a full on walking stride for me as I have shorter legs than her, as it was on a busy main road I went for the power walk. Calves were killing me half way through it, so I am putting it down for 5k as it was over an hour and a half of pain.

Sunday was the clubs duathlon - I had pencilled in the long run for after as theres a nice route out by the Coast in Oranmore which I dont get to do often. It was a mtb route, I dont have a mountain bike so I didnt race and put on the high viz instead, the look of pain on their faces as they ran by made me thank god I didnt have one. January is too early for that type of punishment.

Again coming straight home after was the wiser move so after doing a few jobs I went up for another 2 hours on the turbo...........I would have much preferred the long run today though as it was a lovely crisp day!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,779 ✭✭✭griffin100

Great, a tri log without reference to wattage, lactate thresholds and 6hr night time turbo sessions. Its time we plodders took the training logs back, might even start a new one myself :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Welcome back to the logs CW.

I don't know about you, but it took a while before I warmed up after helping out at the Duathlon yesterday.

Best of luck with your goals and battles. :cool:

pgibbo wrote: »
    I don't know about you, but it took a while before I warmed up after helping out at the Duathlon yesterday.

Nah I was toasting nicely yesterday, I had all the run clothes underneath for the long run I never went on. My marshaling skills are legendary at this stage anyways, I am so authoritive in a high vis they had me on two junctions, run and then cycle junction and then back to the run again a 1/2 mile apart, so with all the clothes on I was overheating running between them, might have been a nicer score than standing in the one spot freezing for an hour alright though now that I think of it
    griffin100 wrote: »
    Great, a tri log without reference to wattage, lactate thresholds and 6hr night time turbo sessions. Its time we plodders took the training logs back, might even start a new one myself :pac:

They are starting to come back I see Redb has a log started up as well, although we lost him for a while as he got very scientific about his Dublin Marathon run, tempo runs and whatnot :confused:

Are you still injured or are you back in for the Conn Ultra?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

griffin100 wrote: »

I dunno, I'd love to see a few HIM/IM logs with actual wattage figures

mloc123 wrote: »
    I dunno, I'd love to see a few HIM/IM logs with actual wattage figures

It wont be from me mloc, I am broke so if I am buying any new kit this year it will be shiny new wheels and not a powermeter

Although I took your advice and I have ordered that Polar strap you recommended so the odd HR rate might sneak back into this log when I get up and running

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

They are starting to come back I see Redb has a log started up as well, although we lost him for a while as he got very scientific about his Dublin Marathon run, tempo runs and whatnot :confused:

While I could 'talk the talk', unfortunately I had to 'walk the walk' (literally) when it came to Triathlons. This year I'm hoping to finish one without walking!
    if epic blowouts, failed targets, haphazard training and detailed battles with other mid packers are your thing read on!
    :D Oh yeah baby, bring it on!
    May - More than likely the Spiddal Triathlon, not sure if I will go for the Sprint or Olympic. I started last year with the Joey Hannon Olympic and it was a shock to the system so maybe a gentle opening with a Sprint

June - Hell of the West, its over a month away from the Humbert so maybe use it as a hard training session before the taper. It gets such good reports I would like to give it a go. I would also like to do one big cycle so maybe The Tour de Burren or Wicklow 200 (I want the 90k distance to be far less intimidating than it was last year)

Other objectives is of course to renew my battles with my fellow mid packer arch nemesis's, so along with The School Friend, The Club Mate, The GAA friend, the strong cyclist and the Frenchie I have added two new ones to the list "The Gaeilgeoir" who may well be my most powerful foe yet and a new untested nemesis mysteriously known as "The Chiropracter".

Any room for aspiring mid-packers in any of these epic battles? Half thinking of Spiddal myself as I spent a year there in '91 and sure, HOTW is an old friend of mine at this stage :cool:. Watch out for the run there, it'll give you Connemarathon-HOTW flashbacks ;). Now if I could only manage to run it instead of walking it :rolleyes:

Best of luck with the training and the log. I'll be reading with lots of interest :)

RedB wrote: »
    Any room for aspiring mid-packers in any of these epic battles? Half thinking of Spiddal myself as I spent a year there in '91 and sure, HOTW is an old friend of mine at this stage :cool:.
    :)

Give me a while to come up with a decent arch nemesis name for you, judging by Ronanmacs disappointment with what I thought was a nice Batman arch foe name, I will need to up my game.

Maybe not though..............you Limerick/Munster lads have no imagination Mushy, Bull, Rog, Axle, Claw, Gaillimh ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

It wont be from me mloc, I am broke so if I am buying any new kit this year it will be shiny new wheels and not a powermeter

Although I took your advice and I have ordered that Polar strap you recommended so the odd HR rate might sneak back into this log when I get up and running

The best €14 I have spent in a long time, so much nicer than the Garmin and with the added bonus that it works :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

Give me a while to come up with a decent arch nemesis name for you, judging by Ronanmacs disappointment with what I thought was a nice Batman arch foe name, I will need to up my game.

Maybe not though..............you Limerick/Munster lads have no imagination Mushy, Bull, Rog, Axle, Claw, Gaillimh ;)

That's why 'RedB' will do nicely!
    The only panto villain thing I could probably bring to the story is my perfect "He's behind you!!" impression :)

Got out today for the the lunchtime run around the local route, had decided to go with the new David Guetta CD so I was trotting along at a decent pace. The watch vibrates after mile 1 and it was 7.14 for the mile, I was feeling good, hadn't ran since friday so I said I would keep going. Came in for 4.6 miles at an average pace of 7.27 (34.20). First time I have ran fast I would say since October, while I wouldn't say it was comfortable I had a bit more in me. Not another 5.3 miles at that pace for Craughwell but I am getting there.

Went up for just over an hour on the turbo this evening, beginning to wean myself back down on the tri bars, its improving I got 2 x 20 minutes before my back started giving out although it made my TV viewing a little bit more difficult. Had to hit playback to confirm that was Deputy Commissioner Rawls in the gay bar :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Cheers for throwing up another log CW, you are putting in good work dude. Best of luck with the season, I'll be following with interest :)

Reasonably happy with this months totals!

Cycle = 735k: Most of this has been in big gears and low cadence. No real scientific tests or data just pedaling away. I did just over 2000k in total last year so I am delighted I held myself to working on it this year so far. I don't know if it will do me any good, but I suppose we will find out come the summer. This month I will start doing some faster work with a lot of it down on the tri bars. I remember my first race in Joey Hannon last year I didnt practice the position and I was struggling to hold it for more than half the race.

Run = 179k:
    Mostly built up of 8k runs around the neighborhood and one LSR at the weekend with the max being 10 miles so far. Last year I probably did more running in January but all at very slow paces as per Hal Higdons wishes. This year instead of trotting around in 10 minute miles, the easy runs have all been at 8.30 pace. I have no trouble holding these but start to feel the pace when I dip under 8. However its getting easier all the time and I hope to do at least one run a week that puts me out of my comfort zone

Swim = 14.7k: Having started off well its now almost two weeks since I last swam which is the longest in years, just as I was starting to feel my swim fitness coming back. I didn't really have much chance though so I am not beating myself up too much about it. I am back in the pool tomorrow as long as I get up. I have a nasty 2 x 400 and 6 x 75 in the middle of it so it will be a struggle.

This months plan will again be heavy enough, particularly in running, I have Craughwell coming up in March so I want to get the distances up. I have a weeks skiing holiday coming up at the end of the month with about fifteen lads so it will be more of a piss up than anything else. Its hard for us to justify to the missus a lads holiday to Ibiza at our age so skiing covers all the angles ;) I am looking forward to it I have never gone before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭ronanmac

Some totals already, Catweazle, particularly on the bike. Yikes!

• Advertisement

Yesterday just a slow run around the local 8k route, I was going to do a turbo session but Wednesday was a triple threat day so I took it easy!

Wednesday AM: 1600m pool swim, I struggled this morning the long break bit me in the ass. The session wasn't too taxing at least, the sheet called for a 2 x 400 off 9.35 which isn't difficult but my stroke was poor and I was tired all the way through it. The 6 x 75 after was a bit of a novelty, 25m breathe every 3 strokes, 25m breathe every 5 and 25m breathe every 7. I had never done something like that before. Nearly drowned when I started to breathe out from the first stroke on the 7, I was out of air and I had only 5 stokes in so after that whether it was right or wrong I held my breaths on the 7 strokes till I had done the 5th stroke, my stroke rate increased as well to try and get them in before I could breathe

Lunchtime Run:
    I had made up my mind to try some interval running, so I hoped for 5 x 1k off 4 minutes and then jogging for .5k over my 8k loop. The first one went fine 3.43 but I paid for that one on the second just hanging on to get in at 3.59. The head then said feck this and I trotted along for the rest of it, shame and guilt made me do one more at the end which I came in on 3.54. So only 3 x 1k in the end, a lot of work to do :(

Evening Turbo:
    Season 3 of The Wire almost over and a great end to the penultimate episode. Like a fool earlier in the week clearing space in the laptop I deleted Limewire as its more or less useless now, I forgot the folder that had my files was called Limewire so all music, and Series one of Heroes and 27 now deleted......sssss****e! I have series 4 of the Wire safe but I was going to mix it up a bit. Anyways Tri Bars are beginning to become comfortable now on the 20 minute x 2s so I will go up to 25 minutes intervals now

On a side note the mother in law asked me did I lose weight tonight ;)

Nice one, I am down from 87 to 82 since the xmas, Mrs C thinks I am worse than her on the scales. The weekday discipline as regards **** food seems to be working

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Catweazle good to see you back with achievable goals for 2011.
    Tri burgh Olympic on June 4th is well considering. A beaut of a course.
    I'm sure they will get the sea swim distance correct this year

Well the week of plenty of running hasn't happened yet, I am not going out in that wind.

Thursday: Backed off the run at lunchtime and then went up on the turbo instead, I was half happy to as I wanted to see Season 3's end to the Wire. I had to take a work phone call at 5.30 which lasted over an hour so I didnt bother going up again.

Friday AM: Swim in the morning, I have yet to sleep in for one yet. Nothing too hard in this one 6 x 200 in the middle of it off 4.35, held this fairly comfortably. Swam a 3.57 for the last 200. The swimming is coming back a little bit. That is the 1500m sessions over with so on to the 2300m session plan for next week

Friday Lunch:
    A cock up with Wire Season 4 meant I was forced to watch a Sunday Times Documentary on Alien Galaxies. This really didn't hold my attention so I decided to go down on the tri-bars for 30 minutes building up the resistance in a half assed pyramid session. I was happy enough at the end of it, pushed hard on it. I might introduce some music soon for the harder sessions

Friday Evening: Found a DVD in the room that I have been meaning to watch for a long time. Padraig Harrington just after winning the Open in 2007, had made a promise beforehand to play Westport for charity the following tuesday. Typical of the man he turned up. I have played Westport a good bit so it was most enjoyable watching him shoot I think -4 for 12 holes off the back tees. Taking on shots over trees and inlets that I could only dream about, it gives you a true indication of how good these guys are when you have played the course yourself. He then did a questions and answers session afterwards in the Clubhouse. I cant think of anyone in Sports that I have more admiration for! Anyways the turbo session was grand, all big gear low cadence.

Wind still howling outside hopefully it will die down tomorrow for a decent run.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭El Director

Just spotted your log CW and delighted to see it! You certainly seem to mean business this year. Though you speak of "blowouts, failed targets, haphazard training..." I sense a steely determination in you words and you seem very focused on what needs to to be done and indeed have already started (c.750k in the saddle...on the turbo....in big gears :eek:)

The swimming seems very focused too and you seem to be very sensible re the amount of racing you will do this year, being fresh on the big day is such a great advantage. Although, I still intend in doing a fair bit of racing again this year but shhh, haven't mentioned it yet in my log ;) I will see you in Spiddal, entered the olympic this week. Alas no HOTW for me as it clashes with the euro's :( Great race.

Well done so far man keep it up and who knows a top 25% finish in Swinford may be on the cards after all. :)

A decent weekends training for me!

Saturday Afternoon: I should have got Sky+ years ago, it gives me much more flexibility around training so household jobs done and safe in the knowledge that the 6 nations games were being recorded I went off a nice run around Renvyle Woods out near Oranmore, this is a lovely route, through the park, down by the coast with some lovely houses and out and around an old castle. Did 2 laps of just under 10k. I had no real plan besides keeping it easy, later during the run I decided I would do a 1/2 marathon in just under 2 hours. It was absolutely drilling down with rain so by the time I was doing the 2nd lap I was soaked and my clothes were hanging off me, so I called it a day at 19k rather than doing one more lap of Renvyle park. 1.49.20, I think it was around 5.40 pace I wasnt so happy to come home to a powercut but at least I got the awful dirge of Ireland v Italy before it went. Christ they were lucky, I still think they could win a grand slam this year though my confidence is badly shaken!

Sunday Afternoon: Up in the office tomorrow so I will sort out my Season 4 of the Wire so I went with another documentary called Earth. A BBC production so it was much better than the freebies with the Sunday Times.

So 75k alternating between 10 minutes easy and then 20 minutes down on Tri Bars with easy enough resistance. I think I can stay down on the bars for a good while now if I needed to. A half assed brick run followed after (you cant just barrel past Mrs C on the way out so assurances I wouldn't be long and I was on dinner duty was needed to appease her). After a shaky first k I ran on well, averaging 5.12 pace with a last 4.53 thrown in at the end, it felt pretty easy.

Monday Lunchtime: My first swim in my old gym in Castlebar in a long time. They are decent enough in there so they dont mind me popping in the odd time. One of the girls who works there is learning to swim as she wants to race the Humbert this year, she was in the pool beside me today she has come on a ton since I last saw her before xmas. I wanted to do a 400 TT before I started the 2300m swim program. I was reasonably happy with it, came in on 7.38, still slower than last year but better than the 8 flat I did in early January. Total 1000m

Monday Evening: I did the first session in the 2300m program. 200WU, 8 x 50 Kick, 8 x 100 off 2.25, 8 x 75 swim and kick on back alternates and 200 WD. I find the kicks tough but I was happy enough with the 8 x 100 came in just under 2 minutes in all of them. Total 2000m

Its getting very frustrating building my swim fitness back, its looking like I wont be able to swim again till friday, I have a 12 x 100 off 2.15 in session 2 that will be tough for me to hold and I would like to do it on Wednesday. At the start of the year the swim plan was Monday, wednesday and fridays but work and family are nailing me again this week.

Work kept me away from any training on Tuesday or Wednesday.

Thursday AM: I managed a sneaky swim in the pool yesterday, I was supposed to do 2600m as down in the plan, but with all the leg kicking I just hadn't the time to get it done. A school class coming in doing water aerobics was the final nail in the coffin as I was stuck in one lane with two breast-stokers, so I headed in early. 1500m

Thursday Lunch: My usual 8k run, was tired doing this as I hadn't ran since sunday.

Friday AM: Got the session in this morning. Tough session 12 x 50 off 1.00 which is more or less flat out for me. 12 x 100 kick/left arm/right arm/swim. The legs were on fire by the end of it. 8 x 50 off 55 seconds - I wasn't able to hold these times and started to drift up to 1 min+ intervals. Happy enough though as I got through it in one piece, last month I had to mix and match these sessions to finish them, was late getting to work though. I need to start factoring in the length of time that certain drills like kicking add on to my session. 2600m

Hoping to go for a long run later, I have a meeting in town after lunch so all going well I might hit the prom after. There is the local clubs duathlon this weekend, I am not too bothered about doing them but in fairness they have gone to the effort to set these races up so I think I need to show my face at one or two of them. I wont be taking it too seriously so I am hoping to have a long run today and long bike tomorrow. I am hoping to get Mrs C out for a few drinks on saturday night as well so sundays race report wont be too exciting :o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Somehow missed this log up until now. Great work last month.

You definitely need to get out of your head you dont like hills, its a total mental battle getting up them. When i started cycling i told myself i loved them and now i relish them when they come along. Not because im particularly fast up them either its just a good test in my head. Dont want to be over personal in this regard, but could you lose a few pounds? weight is everything on hills.

Anyway keep up the good work, major kudos on the bike km's put down in Jan. Signed up now so will be keeping a look in

Dont want to be over personal in this regard, but could you lose a few pounds? weight is everything on hills.

Cheers Kenny,

Ya I could lose a few pounds most definitely, I think the lowest I was is around 78ks for Connemarathon last year. If I could get down to 75k I would be delighted. I am 81 now so I am on the right track

Ya I need to embrace the pain more when i see a hill rather than reducing down the gears for any small hump in front of me. Hoping to have the bike as a strength this year so plenty of work needed

• Advertisement

Friday PM: Well the long run didn't happen, the meeting went way over what I thought it would take so I only got out around the local route just before it got dark. Went at a just under sub 5k pace to wake the legs up a bit for sunday 8k

Saturday Am: I am too fond of the lie in on Saturdays, I need to start earlier to get away with the full session. The plan was a 90k turbo and the local 8k route after. It ended up being cut short........only a 60k cycle after brother in law arrives over with timber. The wife has gradually accepted the necessity for a run straight after the bike but the brother in law certainly wouldn't be as understanding.

So for tomorrows duathlon I will probably be a little fresher than I planned going into it. I was going to buy pedal cages for the event but never got off my ass about it. I only have a pair of proper bike shoes so I expect my transition times will kill me tomorrow. Not too concerned about the running but I would like to feel mentally that the bike has come on a bit after all the work over the winter.....albeit none of it at a fast pace! So I dont want loads of people going by me on the bike which is what usually happens.

Advertisement