Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Catweazles Half-Ironman or Chicken challenge

Options
  • 16-11-2009 9:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭

I have been meaning to start this for a while, I will try and update it on a regular basis, its mainly to keep me on the straight and narrow and to keep me motivated. Last year I took part in 5 or 6 sprint distances and 2 half marathons, finished around mid pack in all of them and I want to move on from there

Preferred potential Ironman situation 1 = Up the targets to competing in mainly Olympic distances and finish the year off with a half Ironman, attempt full Ironman in 2011

Not so preferred Ironman situation 2 = Same as above but finish with a full Ironman in 2010

Reason being is potential family "surprises" occuring, if a "surprise" appears soon Ironman situation 2 comes into operation otherwise I will be training for situation 1 till I am told otherwise by OH.

Training advantages - OH likes her running so no problems getting out for runs at weekend - different story with her though if it involves swimming or biking. Gym near me so can go to gym for about an hour at lunchtimes. If I am not cooking I can also go for an hour in the evening

Training Disadvantages - Over an hour commute to work, sometimes long long days driving in car to meetings across the country.

Social life - She likes to go out at weekends and I am expected to come along, lots of weddings, dinner parties, weekends away also so sometimes hard to do anything at weekends

Swim: I average about 1.55 for 100 metres, I can hold this pace relatively comfortably for 1000-1500 metres. I am getting one swim class a week with my Tri-club, mainly drill focused but I feel I am improving and I try and get into the pool 3 times a week for about an hour each time

Bike: I am poor here, again the club goes out for long cycles on sundays but i struggle to make them. I have bought a turbo trainer and I am just starting to use it, I had hoped to get away with it in the attic but no chance with the noise so am trying to go up after dinner when I get home from work, this wont work long term so out to the shed soon and early mornings it will have to be

Run: Have done a few half marathons with the PB at 1.51, I think I could go lower but I run these with my OH so i stick with her. Snuck off for a 10k on my own on sunday, thought I would threaten 45 mins but came in at 48 mins for a pb, thought I would do better but I was exhuasted at half way and was proud that the back 5 was the same time so I gritted the teeth at least. (I will blame the few beers with the soccer and boxing on tv the night before) The last one I did before this was a while back and I did it in 54.30 so I suppose I have to be happy.

Preferred A List
    Athenry 10k (already in jeproady)
    Tri-Athy OD
    Might be going to California for holidays in July so would love to do Vineman Half (again though booking of this holiday is up in air so presume it will be booked out by the time i know)
    Dublin or Berlin Marathon (Berlin if OH runs it, Dublin otherwise)

I will also do a few more events through the year, am looking closely at connemarathon full and will decide by next week, more than likely will do it.

So will start with today, legs were a little stiff today so went to the pool, did 50 minutes between technique drills and 5*100 pace

Total swimmed = 1500 meters

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Good luck with it...

Like most of us around here, the main challenge with these endeavours is time management.

You'd be amazed what you can get done at 5am!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭MCOS

Ah... commute, kids, OH, LIFE!!! The joy of balancing it all in an effort to swim, bike and run.... 'Tis tough sometimes but worth it!

Good luck with your goals :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Thanks lads, yours will be two logs I will be checking in to for some advice and tips.

Today I did more swimming training drills and 5 * 200 at pace

Total swim = 2kms

5 mile run - At 50 minutes was feeling the pace, dont think i have fully got back to speed since sundays race

2k Row - Local gym is doing a multi sport challenge at end of month which includes rowing. Dont think I have rowed since trying it out at school years ago, was nicer on the river I think

Swings and roundabouts today - I think I will stick to only one session tomorrow, the double sessions leave me tired and irritable.

Worked from home today because of the floods so forced myself upstairs to the attic to the Turbo, did 45 minutes which is longest ever for me, shattered after it.

OH came home then and demanded me not to go to the clubs swimming training tonight, as she is very concerned about the bad weather, this set me off as I dont go enough at weekends to be not attending during the week either, I am not long in the club and dont know too many yet. I calmed down rather quickly when she promised to cook though and realised I would get the match tonight as well

Went to her gym with her instead and did my usual swimming routine, so 2k swim, expressed surprise when she told me it was only a 18 metre pool but I secretly knew this so put me down for 1.8k instead.

Got worked up again in the supermarket after gym when I see her buying the diced beef........honey we will never get a stew done and eaten in time for the match but she was not for turning, then my disgruntlement turned to rage when i got a glimpse of the local paper saying Niall o Brolchain of the Greens was going to get in the Seanad in sweetheart deal with FF. The guy works full time as a politician, didnt get elected in 07 and didnt even keep his seat as a councilor in 09 yet is going to get a cushy number in that failed politician retirement home. I hope Kenny gets in for just that reason alone and gets rid of that useless institution. After all that I dont even mind O Brolchain, just someone was going to bear the brunt of my temper

Anyways I am off to at least get the pre match build up before I am called in for stew

COME ON IRELAND

Had disregarded what I said yesterday and had every intention of doing a double session, but 30 minutes doing a supposedly easy run put paid to that, struggled to run for 30 minutes and left it at that.

No turbo session for me tonight hopefully i will get to bed early but I am a bit of a night owl so we will see

Run = 3 1/2 miles today

• Advertisement

Due to have an easy day today, have a swimming lesson tonight and was going to leave it at that, however Garmin 310xt has just arrived and I am sorely tempted to give it a go, I will see what the weather is like later.

I see what Izoard means by it being like a laptop, I dont think I would wear that in the water certainly not during a race anyways, couldnt be good for drag

Didnt get a chance to go to the swimming lessons, flooded out of it, pissed off to be honest was looking forward to it, dont know when it will be my turn again.

Did 4 easy miles in the gym today, felt much better today at least, the decent nights sleep did me good.

Have a bit of wine down me so while I am feeling brave I am going to sign up for the Connemarathon instead of talking about it

4 miles = 32 minutes

Looking forward to trying the Garmin around my regular 8k tomorrow if the weather holds i assume it will be more accurate than my cars mileometre

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Blueskye

Great to have another boardsie at connemara :)

Cheers Blueskye, the wife has joined up as well, but i am hoping she changes her mind and goes for the half marathon instead ;)

Didnt do huge amount today, the two routes we run locally are flooded so did 4.8k in 27 minutes Average heart rate 135

Did 40 minutes on turbo as well

Flooded in again today, so no running or swimming for me.

Did 45 minutes on turbo trainer and another 15 on Cross Trainer, OH put spare time to good use and took down the cross trainer from the mother in laws attic.

Didnt really like the cross trainer hence only 15 minutes.

I am a bit all over the place with the selection of my A let alone B and C races, two friends are going Gaelforce so thats a tempter, Connemarathon is on the horizon as well and I have no half-Ironman selected either as my holidays are up in the air

Hopefully things will come clearer soon

• Advertisement

Keeping track of my hours + distances.........will eventually get around to printing out the training bibles workout schedule

Monday = Swim 1500 metres (50 minutes)
    Tuesday = Swim 2,000 Metres + Run 5 miles + Row 2k = (2 hours)
    Wednesday = Turbo 45 minutes + Swim 1800 metres (1.5 hours)
    Thursday = Run 3.5 miles (30 minutes)
    Friday = Run 4 miles (32 minutes)
    Saturday = Turbo = 40 minutes + Run 3 miles = 27 mins (1 hour)
    Sunday = Turbo = 45 minutes + Cross 15 minutes (1 Hour)

Total
    Swim = 5,300 metres (2.20)
    Bike = (2.10)
    Run = 15.5 miles (2.10)
    Other = (0.30)

7h.10m

Mondays are late work nights for me so only lunchbreak session today. Bit of a struggle today but sure thats mondays. Tried to relax my shoulders for the last 300 metres while I went 10 seconds per 100 slower, it was far less taxing than the previous 200 metre split

Swim

800 metres warm up and drills
    500 metres @ 10.30 minutes
    2 * 200 @ 4 minutes
    1 * 300 @ 6.30 minutes

Total 2k

Day of protest for my wife so day off cooking for me so got both sessions in today

Swim 1000 metres drills & 500 metres @ 10.15 minutes Total = 1.5k

Was reading redbs log and never really paid much attention to my heart rate so I said i would try tonight, easy run, 10k in 60 minutes.

Only brought heart belt with me as was on threadmill but surprise surprise it wouldnt work with the treadmill, used the hands to check every time I could

Stayed around the 130 range for most of the run went up to high 140's for the last km but I think that may have been influenced by The Whos, who are you song coming on the radio, love that song!

Have a tri challenge in gym on friday 8k run, 20k bike and 2.4 row, would think that will give me a good idea of my max hr

5 mile run on treadmill again today - 45 minutes

Swimming lessons with club - no lengths just some technique so easy session.

Will take it easy tomorrow, maybe do a few swimming drills as I want to have a good cut at the gym challenge on friday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

catweazle wrote: »
    I am a bit all over the place with the selection of my A let alone B and C races, two friends are going Gaelforce so thats a tempter, Connemarathon is on the horizon as well and I have no half-Ironman selected either as my holidays are up in the air

The Lost Sheep Half-Ironman in Kenmare in Sept is a great one that wouldn't impact too much on holidays but it might not suit other plans / situations. It'd be a nice weekend away ;).

I'm signed up for the full Connemarathon too but thinking of changing to the half and doing the full Limerick Marathon. I did Kenmare this year with not enough training so I'm keen to at least have the running miles under my belt early next year and then add on more cycling as the days get longer and the weather improves. Fair play to you. You've really got the mix going on. My swimming and cycling are non-existant at the moment but Kenmare is one of my A races next year with an eye on 2011 for more if I'm able to operate sustainably at that level.

Ya redb thats an option and probably going to be the most likely one, I have two mates at me to do the half ironman in Barcelona in April but I feel i want the half as a climax to hopefully a good season not my first tri of the year.

If I could nail down our holidays I would try and see if there is a half over there, its my turn to pick the destination (we swap every year). And I am very keen on doing a few things on the west coast of the states, she likes the beach, i like to see things on my holiday, but she wont commit to anything at the moment so i assume vineman will be booked out before we decide. Its very frustrating.

I am not great on the cycling to be honest need to do much more on that but enjoy the running and swimming.

Thursday just did a short pool session, 1k saving myself for friday.

Friday Gym challenge was tough, was surprised at the turnout well over 70 people, there might be a potential group tri training from the gym yet, i am always on to them to do it. Did the 8k run in just over 35, tried to keep it at 14 but slowed it down at 6k as I was fading badly. 20k Cycle again was just over 35 mins again, could have gone faster but wasnt used to exercise bike so pedalled like a madman the last 5k as I was feeling fine, started out at about 100 cadence for first ten but was holding comfortably 125 cadence at the end, much easier than turbo really. 10 minutes for 2.5k row, never really rowed so no clue what that time was like, but was happy enough, although unsure of my max heart rate highest it was at was 182 and i was shattered at that stage. Dont know enough really about it but that 220-age = 185, does that mean i am at a disadvantage with a low max??

Saturday i was stiff as a a board so a very slow 7.4k run at 45 minutes, first LSR of the year tomorrow, I am going to do Hal Highdons Intermediate 2 for the Connemarathon, hoping i am not biting off more than I can chew, wife is running with me tomorrow though so it will be slow which is good.

Back was locked up this morning when I got out of bed so nothing today, tried to go out with wife but gave up after 50 metres, not worth it. Mad with myself as I felt it coming on last week and thought it would go away, I am years of going to chriopracter so should have gone last week before the **** hit the fan.

Back feels a little better now but I will go to chiro anyways tomorrow. Will struggle to get to sleep now with no exercise, watching Sunshine in C4 not sure what to make of it, a little slow, no doubt i will end up watching the lot anyways, hardly ever give up on a movie

Didnt do anything yesterday, was still walking like Mr Burns, went to chiro in afternoon she was happy enough with it, said she has seen it a lot worse.

Today back was still stiff but better than yesterday, tried the treadmill but didnt fancy it after a few metres, went on the exercise bike for 40 minutes that was fine

Went on bike again in gym after work for another 40 minutes, there really is no comparision to the Turbo.

Hoping the back feels better tomorrow, have a long 4 hour return trip for work tomorrow, will go for a run before it if back feels up to it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭rigal

10 minutes for 2.5k row,

That's good going on the ergo for someone who never uses it - especially after the run and bike.

8km run in 35:xx - I'd say you'll smash your 10km pb next time you race it.

Thanks Rigal, it is probably why my back is in such a state now.

I dont know I thought I would be pushing 45 mins for the 10k race i did a few weeks ago and was left hanging on for 48 minutes. Most of my running is on the treadmill, where I live nowhere near is good for night running so only get on roads at weekend.

There must be a huge difference between the two of them even though I thought I would have negated this difference by running at 3%-5% on the treadmill. That 10k run I did was fairly flat I thought.........ah maybe it was just a bad day and I am thinking about it too much

• Advertisement

Ah back on the wagon again thank christ

Got lazy yesterday, back was still at me and wasnt too motivated to go upstairs to the turbo so gave it a miss.

Was in bad form yesterday cause I had to go to Cork for work, wasnt looking forward to 8 hours of driving but was delighted when I heard Gort was declared passable.

First meeting ended way earlier than I expected so I was left twiddling my fingers in the Rochestown Park for 4 hours, was disgusted that I didnt have my kit bag in the car as they looked to have a nice gym so stuffed my face on chips and cappucinos instead. Finished the second meeting and was on the way home at 9.

Was in better form on the way home, both meetings went well, I work for an IT company and to say things have been quiet is an understatement, it was nice to tell the boss it was hopefully looking good for a change.

Got up today and the back felt ok, did a cautious 5k at lunchtime and no adverse reaction, so I was delighted. Mrs C could see I was down for the last few days so I got the green light to go to gym after work again, so did another slow 10k. Great to be back running its amazing even after a few days how much you miss it. I am hoping to go back swimming tomorrow.

Total for today 15k in 1.30 heartrate around 140

A poor weekends training but I knew that was going to happen, did 5*100 metres in the pool yesterday pace with 30 second break 1.40/1.42/1.45/1.51/1.55. Was really only in for the shave though before party and decided I better do something quick while I was in there

Didnt do much today was groggy after a good night, had work to do in house so again more in for the shower and did 500m in 10.20

Need to get my finger out on the long slow runs, next few weekends are clear so hopefully I will get some good milage in the coming weeks, found my ipod arm strap again after losing it for ages so pleased with that

Only time for the lunchtime swim today, was conscious that I wanted to start upping my distances without stopping, I am too fond of the short recovery breaks between interval sessions.

Was very happy after it, although my legs are still a bit all over the place at times, the shoulders and hips are rolling away at least on the stroke. Did 1000m drills and then went for another 1000m freestyle, completed in 21.20, felt very good, stepped up pace for the last 20 lengths as I still had plenty left in me, I think I could push it closer to 20 mins the next time.

So all in all, pretty happy, while there is still loads to work on technique wise, I can definitley see a big improvement from last year.

If anyone is reading this do any of ye know any websites where I can get some good instruction on flip turns, I really need to start doing this, particularly as I am hoping to move up the ranks in the club swimming groups, it seems to be par for the course on the faster lanes

Nothing done yesterday was down the country with work.

Today I struggled with 5 miles at lunchtime, found the first three really hard but the last two i loosened up and increased the pace 42 minutes

Swim lessons tonight, wasnt the usual ball breaking session so i feel almost cheated, he did start showing us tumble turns though so i enjoyed that although it wasnt really working for me. You think underwater you are a lot closer than you are, so after some magnificent cartwheeling the expected rocket boost off the wall never happened as i was about 2 metres away from it. Lot of water up the nose as well which i didnt like. Needs more practice

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Swim lessons tonight, wasnt the usual ball breaking session so i feel almost cheated, he did start showing us tumble turns though so i enjoyed that although it wasnt really working for me. You think underwater you are a lot closer than you are, so after some magnificent cartwheeling the expected rocket boost off the wall never happened as i was about 2 metres away from it. Lot of water up the nose as well which i didnt like. Needs more practice

LOL.....I know the feeling. I think I have a mental block on tumble turns now. I struggle badly with them.

Are the club sessions in Clarenbridge?

Yes all over but mainly there.

5 mile run today at lunch again, 41 minutes.

Did about 35 minutes on the turbo when i got home

Now i am trying to get rid of a lot of the dance music on the ipod, i am guessing the lsr this weekend will be hard with dance blaring out of the ipod

Downloading some more relaxing music to keep me on pace, its actually difficult, i am not much of a music man so i cant really think of anything.

Worked out to be a good weekend training after fearing the worst on friday night. Great weather for running.

Friday - Did 1500m in the pool, 1000m drills and then I did 500m at pace, just got under 10 minutes, 9.57 for the 500m. I was delighted at that, since I switched my stroke I have not broken 10 minutes. Previously I used to be wrecked after it but I still had a little bit left in the tank finishing although i will revise upwards my bold prediction of breaking 20 minutes for 1000 metres. Thats a while away yet judging from today.

My good mood was broken later that night while watching Transformers (absolute tripe). Got a call from two of the Dublin lads for pints saturday night, was really put out as I had planned to do a good weekends running with the wife away at staff parties friday and saturday but I hadnt seen them in a while either. Its very hard to justify to friends that you cant meet them as you have to go for a run tomorrow, better excuses are needed. Was annoyed as well as I had easily talked myself out of a turbo session friday night as i justified it with all the running I was going to do

Saturday - Decided to do the long run on saturday as chances were i wouldnt do anything sunday so did 10 miles in 1.40, did the 3-1 and picked up the pace for the last few miles. Had just enough new music on the ipod and the tunes of Bruce and Pink Floyd kept my pace slower than the usual Chemical Brothers and Orbital music. Felt very comfortable average heart rate 138. Out for the few then that night.

Sunday - Didnt have too much of a hangover, ever since i gave up the fags they are much more manageable plus i stuck to bottles which i always find a big help. No stiffness so said I would go out in late afternoon. Did 8.3 miles in 1.20, very weird looking at my hrm stats for the first 5 mins my rate was well over 180 (thought my max was in 181) but settled quickly after that avg = 131. This was meant to be a slow recovery run but not being used to running in the evening i left it to late and had to belt the last few miles as the sun went in, icy enough in places too, nearly slipped a few times.

Wanted to give the legs a total break today so just went to the pool for lunch, used the pool buoy for probably the first time, lovely to swim with it as I wasnt fighting my legs like I usually do.

Was going to swim 1000m and leave it at that but was enjoying it so did another one

2000m in 41.00 minutes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭MCOS

Good job on the swimming, sub 20 for 1000m definitely within your grasp in the very near future. I sometimes find my hrm takes a few minutes to 'warm up' too :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Cheers MCOS, I am getting the swimming times down alright, not sure how much of that is technique based though, i think the drills are improving my strength and endurance more than anything else. However i am not complaining as long as the times keep coming down

Hilly 5k run on the treadmill today, 25 minutes, was tired enough finishing it and am in one of my irritable moods again tonight so bed early for me

Advertisement