Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

gaelforce west 20/8/2011

Options
  • 21-01-2011 11:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Race website
    Last years thread including a poll result of 4.39 from 51 votes

hi new to adventure racing and athletics in general just signed up for gaelforce west (moment of madness :eek:) has anybody got any tips r info i would need (running,bike or otherwise) any help is welcome coz as i said im a total beginner to this kind of event thanks in advance josh

Rate this race based on, Scenery, PB potential, Atmosphere, Value, Organisation 35 votes

5 stars (excellent)
    0%
    4 stars (good)
    57%
    finlmaacurnoRawheadmfdcleni2000sp1kezTheTubesmdlbsmurphy29matilddadoughefkuro2ksnailsongglennbhoycentre backQ7formerLaHaineWhistlejacketBrianer69er 20 votes
    3 stars (average)
    34%
    RewhardCopygaf1983thehamoEidoTommi78Mr FreezegreenplainGusmanOperatorAdi CkonShBlacktoe 12 votes
    2 stars (poor)
    8%
    RinkerlocteauKander 3 votes
    1 star (terrible)
    0%

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Get training OP but start off small, i'm a decent runner and a pretty good cyclist but i died on CP last year due to my lack of hill running!!
    Will be doing GF North and GF West this year and the training has already started!

• Registered Users Posts: 39 josh79

thanks for the quick reply helimachoptor alot of miles ahead of me so gotta find some hills to run round my area just something to add to the list :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭Enduro

Look up the threads on GFW in the events section. Plenty of info in there. Try and get along to a few of the IMRA races if you can. As well as being more fun than GFW, they will get you used to racing in the hills.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭LaHaine

4 stars (good)
    Is the cycling section of Gaelforce West difficult?

I would have thought that that will be the time when I recover a bit. Cycling is probably my strongest discipline.

Id love to hear from some people who did it for the first time last year? What level of fitness did you start at and what was your finishing time?

Ive looked through the thread from last year and its an absolute mine of information. Id strongly recommend a read of it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

LaHaine wrote: »
    Is the cycling section of Gaelforce West difficult?

I would have thought that that will be the time when I recover a bit. Cycling is probably my strongest discipline.

Id love to hear from some people who did it for the first time last year? What level of fitness did you start at and what was your finishing time?

Ive looked through the thread from last year and its an absolute mine of information. Id strongly recommend a read of it.

LaHaine, no its not difficult, I did it last year for the first and again cycling would have been my best event. I did it on a flat bar hybrid and tbh was probably over cautious as i walked a portion of the first cycle and half of the second one but this year i'll be a bit more gung ho.
    There will be a couple of hills and tbh there were a lot of people pushing their bikes up but i really breezed by them.

I had a pretty good cycling fitness level, I was doing about a 45km commute 3-5 times a week with a 40-60 spin at the weekend along with the odd 100km+ spin aswell.

CV wise i'd be pretty fit but my right foot gets sore once i get above the 5Km mark but its due to my runners i think.

I died on the mountain though. My main fault last year in regards to training was the lack of mixed training i did, Have started training already this year. Best of luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 10 Toe Runner

I did Gaelforce in 2008, and wasn't properly prepared. I'd do a lot of running, but not much on the bike and not much on hills. As others have said I would start training now, and focus on those hills, proper off-road stuff to get used to the underfoot conditions.

I managed to get up CP only because I had a little lunch box of pasta at the bottom:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Rinker

2 stars (poor)
    I'd agree with the comment about trying some IMRA events. You'll get a feel about the level of fitness you'll need and the kind of footwear thats best. I'd also recommend doing another adventure race beforehand to get a taste of the running, cycling and kayaking together. You could start off with a shorter version like WAR sports or West wicklow Roars sports which are great fun and will let you know what ahead of you in August. Best of luck with the training.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

3 stars (average)
    Hey. Last year was my first year doing gaelforce and to be honest I didn't have any strong points. Longest I ever cycled was 60km and running I only managed up to 7km before the race. Plus I didn't train for about a month and a half before the race because of a back injury. On the day it's self I managed to do it in 7.20 which was slow but I completed it. One thing I will say is get some trail running under your belt cause it's a totally different animal. I'l be doing a good bit more training for it this year and I'm hoping to knock off at least 1.5 hours off my time this year.bthe mountain for me was a bitch too. It's something I'm definitely going to improve on for the next race

4 stars (good)
    thehamo wrote: »
    Hey. Last year was my first year doing gaelforce and to be honest I didn't have any strong points. Longest I ever cycled was 60km and running I only managed up to 7km before the race. Plus I didn't train for about a month and a half before the race because of a back injury. On the day it's self I managed to do it in 7.20 which was slow but I completed it. One thing I will say is get some trail running under your belt cause it's a totally different animal. I'l be doing a good bit more training for it this year and I'm hoping to knock off at least 1.5 hours off my time this year.bthe mountain for me was a bitch too. It's something I'm definitely going to improve on for the next race

Fair play man. Thats a great achievement considering the lack of training. Must have taken some serious resolve to finish it.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Mayo self-build

Hi Josh.

I also did GF last year for the first time - I was a complete newbie to the whole AR thing as well, although I did do the Connemara Challenge in May. Whilst Connemara was a useful insight into AR, it is a long way from doing GF! I spent loads of time on boards, and it really is a tome of info. There are obviously plenty of conflicting pieces of advice, but there are enough nuggets to keep you on the right track.

Bike - I did it on a hybrid, but won't do that again! A great starter bike, but way too slow over the distances involved. Sure, it had its advantages on the off-road sections, but on balance is not the bike to use for GF.

Gear - find out what works for you, but a minimum is a good pair of trail runners. I went with Speedcross 2 and never put a foot wrong in them.

Training - get started now! I started from a very low base. I'm late 30's, have a couple of small kids, was carrying a bit of weight, and quite unfit. I started off by going to the gym, and took it from there. By the middle of the summer I was able to get out about 4 times a week. I'm lucky in that I live right beside part of the route and was able to do Croagh Patrick climbs at least once a week. I also did a good bit of off-road (forestry track) running, which had plenty of hill work. I was not particularly strong at anything before I started, but built up the running and bike work over the summer.

Nutrition - again there is lots & lots of valuable info on previous threads, but the key is to find out what works for you. I would emphasise that you really do need to take on board a lot of fluids. There are water stations throughout the course - make use of them. But also take at least 2 bottles on the bike with you. Find out whether you can take Dioralyte or similar so that you can stay hydrated on the day. Eat lots (bananas, energy sweets, etc) and experiment with energy gels beforehand. Try everything beforehand, as race day is not the day to find out what your body likes and doesn't like!

I think that unless you are super fit you will suffer somewhere along the way. For me it was on the bike, with cramp. Now, this was not just a niggle or a slight tensing of the muscles. No, this was proper 'having-to-get-off-the-bike-pain-that-would-bring-a-tear-to-your-eye' stuff. Ho, ho, ho. Although I had done a good bit on the bike, and had mixed it up with some tough running & cycling sessions, I was nowhere near ready for the race day trauma of putting each of the disciplines together. There is little else but to keep on going, though. Croagh Patrick was tough, but for me the worst thing was the sheer number of people. I had been doing it in the weeks leading up to GF at about 6am and my head was wrecked with the vast numbers of people on the day.

Most people spoke of the buzz of crossing the line. For me, I was almost knocked off my bike by a swell of emotion after I was down from Croagh Patrick, had negotiated the off-road cycle bit (the dreaded Skelp) and was on the road to Westport. Although I had a bit to go, I knew at that stage I was going to finish, and it was pure ecstacy!!

I did it in 5.45, and was a little tired at the end!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭ronan1986

I did Gaelforce west for the first time last year.I had zero adventure racing experience up until that point and had never done any road running races (marathons, 10Km,5km) or had even sat on a bike of any description since i was 14 (i'm 25 now). My level of fitness was average as I kept fit by playing sunday league football.

Firstly, I have to say i thought the event was fantastic last year and was a real challenge and i'll be doing it again this year.

Some tips. Get used to running on uneven surfaces and off -road. The terrain is a lot more technical and at times its hard to get a good stride going. The positive side of that for me was that the initial 13-14km run flew in for me as i was concentrating so much on where my feet were going. I did that section in 1hr 14mins.

Kayak section, dont worry bout it. Mmax time crossing is maybe 20 minutes. I never trained for this at all and crossed in like 18 minutes or so. You wont lose much time here even if your terrible.

Bog run to bike transition, deep mud and long grass. watch your step, i fell into a hole of mud up to my thigh, surprised I didnt break anything.

Cycling part. I used a hybrid. Too slow, way too slow. This year I'll be using a cyclocross with semi slick cyclo tyres. Last year I pushed too hard too early and dint eat enough along the route, became very weak on the fire road approaching croke patrick an had to get off and sit down for a 10 minute breather and some food.

Croke Patrick was hell for me, 1 hr up 45 mins down. So draining. I advise to do some hill running. This is what I didnt do enough of.

Cycle back to westport, probably the most enjoyable part, some nice downhill sections and the locals were out in force to cheer u home...I felt like I was flying at parts here. Its all mental, I knew I was nearly home and my spirits and energy was up.

Finishing time, 6hrs 24 mins.

Training wise, I began in Mid-March. Simple 5 km runs and no cycling at that stage (had no bike!!).
    Eventually built up to running 3 -4 times a week tpically 2 10km runs and a 15km run and a 5km run. Aso in june and july I factored in some hill running (Tibraddan and hellfire in Dub mountains) but maybe only done 4-5 hillruns.. Regarding the cycling training, didnt do a lot if i'm honet. Quite literally 4 or 5 trips from Tallaght to enniskerry via Dub mountains on my mountain bike (dist about 40Km). Not enough really, thats why I tanked at croke patrick.

A bit under-prepared I would say, but I wat happy to finish. This year i'll be putting in more effort and with the new bike hoping to break 6 hours.

Big tip, make sure you're constantly eating (small bites). A lack of calories can really derail you in an instant. Doesn't have to be power bars, can be a bag of nuts, some fruit or even jellies..

• Registered Users Posts: 39 josh79

thanks for all the advice im up to 10k running at the min and cycle 15k to and from work twice a wk so im gonna hav to move the training up a gear very soon

4 stars (good)
    Hey guys,

For those of you who have done this before, where is the best location to stay? Is it Westport itself?

If you stay in Westport am I right in saying there will be a bus provided to bring competitors to the start line?

Any help appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

3 stars (average)
    yep westport if at all possible. I would advise booking accom early, as in now. Trust me, it will all be gone by if you leave it too late, and by late I mean June.

Buses for the wave you're in leave from the town centre in the morning and the race finishes up in westport too.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭darabbit

I would avoid the hotels that do weddings as you will be kept awake by partygoers trying to find their rooms. That seemed to be the general opinion of competitors last year. I stayed in a B&B last year and had a great nite sleep he night before... Well up to 5 am anyway! The guy who owned the place got up at 5 am to make sure I had everything I needed. There was a kitchette where I could prep my own food so I felt right at home. The only down side is you won't have the pool, jucuzzi for post race aches. I went to the pub instead :)

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭centre back

4 stars (good)
    hey guys, last year was my second time doing gaelforce, stayed in loisburgh the first year,simply because we left it to late to get accomadation any where else! hotel was lovely but had to get up at 5 to get in for 7.30 start time! last year we booked early and were staying right longside the finish line,after nearly 5 hours running cycling and a little crawling was great to get an hours kip before the night out!! 3 bed apartment and had our own kitchen to prepare food the night before was perfect, was only€100 per couple for the 2 nyts, cant think of the name but if someone wants it i can look it up for ye!!

4 stars (good)
    hey guys, last year was my second time doing gaelforce, stayed in loisburgh the first year,simply because we left it to late to get accomadation any where else! hotel was lovely but had to get up at 5 to get in for 7.30 start time! last year we booked early and were staying right longside the finish line,after nearly 5 hours running cycling and a little crawling was great to get an hours kip before the night out!! 3 bed apartment and had our own kitchen to prepare food the night before was perfect, was only€100 per couple for the 2 nyts, cant think of the name but if someone wants it i can look it up for ye!!

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Ah_go_on

ronan1986 wrote: »
    I did Gaelforce west for the first time last year.I had zero adventure racing experience up until that point and had never done any road running races (marathons, 10Km,5km) or had even sat on a bike of any description since i was 14 (i'm 25 now). My level of fitness was average as I kept fit by playing sunday league football.

Firstly, I have to say i thought the event was fantastic last year and was a real challenge and i'll be doing it again this year.

Some tips. Get used to running on uneven surfaces and off -road. The terrain is a lot more technical and at times its hard to get a good stride going. The positive side of that for me was that the initial 13-14km run flew in for me as i was concentrating so much on where my feet were going. I did that section in 1hr 14mins.

Kayak section, dont worry bout it. Mmax time crossing is maybe 20 minutes. I never trained for this at all and crossed in like 18 minutes or so. You wont lose much time here even if your terrible.

Bog run to bike transition, deep mud and long grass. watch your step, i fell into a hole of mud up to my thigh, surprised I didnt break anything.

Cycling part. I used a hybrid. Too slow, way too slow. This year I'll be using a cyclocross with semi slick cyclo tyres. Last year I pushed too hard too early and dint eat enough along the route, became very weak on the fire road approaching croke patrick an had to get off and sit down for a 10 minute breather and some food.

Croke Patrick was hell for me, 1 hr up 45 mins down. So draining. I advise to do some hill running. This is what I didnt do enough of.

Cycle back to westport, probably the most enjoyable part, some nice downhill sections and the locals were out in force to cheer u home...I felt like I was flying at parts here. Its all mental, I knew I was nearly home and my spirits and energy was up.

Big tip, make sure you're constantly eating (small bites). A lack of calories can really derail you in an instant. Doesn't have to be power bars, can be a bag of nuts, some fruit or even jellies..

+1 on all of the above. was my first time last year and I disn't eat nearly enough. I'm a big lad and burned off a liitle over 7000 calories in 6.5 hours, first big hill on the cycle caught me out as I was totally drained from putting the boot down on the first 10km of that section. (Had a smash on the way down which didn't help my cause either) I should have refuelled a lot more at the kayak transition but I'll know better next time. The best advise I could give you is get some hill running in as croagh Patrick will break your heart! I did a good bit in glendalough during the summer and it stood to me in the end. its a great event and you've loads of time so go for it:D:D

4 stars (good)
    Just wondering if there's anyone else training for this as a first timer? If so, how is it going?

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭famoussheamus

I started training for gael force west 2010 this time last year, started at very basic level. Look at the distances you have to achieve initally, if you are able to complete them indivudally then keep building. If not.. know your limits, keep working each week to push those limits. You will be suprised how fast your body adapts. I know this is pretty basic, but keep it simple during training. Since Gael Force last year I have done several triathalons, duathalons and adventure races. Its a bug. Enjoy

• Advertisement

I wrote this last year. Thought it might help on the cycle section.

Hello all GFW heads,
    Just a some info an the cycle route from an ordinary participant:
    Delphi to Doolough is fine, 2.5km with no high climbs, good time for hydration/eating especially if the wind is South. A west wind is advantageous for the 6km valley ahead as you need energy for Barnadearg (or sheeffry as it is often referred). This 2km uphill section rises from 70m ASL to 200m ASL. This may not seem long but it is a tough gruelling climb in which when you think your at the top, your only half way.
    Wipe your sweaty brow, check your brakes, fasten down everything as you are coming to a very steep 1.6 km downhill which comes on you very quick. Carefull on the tight corners, potholes and loose gravel. From there to Drummin village 3km is mostly downhill, so time for more hydration/eating, keep the eating to a minimal from here though as you are coming close to the Reek. Drummin to Liscarney 7.7km is a series of up and downhills, nice downhill just before the crossroads. Liscarney to Owenwee turn off 1.6km is all flat. A gradual uphill commences after 2km from the turn off to Owenwee. This 6.4km of bog track takes you to the 240m ASL - base of the reek, with very little downhill.
    Once you climb the reek and return the hardest part of the race is over. A good 2km downhill after the reek gives you good progress but watch for the hard left going on to the western way. There is a steady climb for 1.4 km through this track but take care on the last 1km of downhill where there is a lot of loose slate and bog. Back on tar then on a downhill section of over 2km. Corners are tricky especially when your building speed. Roads are often damp here in the driest of weather. Homeward bound for 3.5km then which is an easy cycle along the main road.
    Wishing you all a good and safe GF.

Stay in westport if possible as you will want a shower, stretch and a feed after the event. If thinking about a hotel, consider one with a leisure center as a Jacuzi is just what the doc ordered. Book early

4 stars (good)
    I wrote this last year. Thought it might help on the cycle section.

Hello all GFW heads,
    Just a some info an the cycle route from an ordinary participant:
    Delphi to Doolough is fine, 2.5km with no high climbs, good time for hydration/eating especially if the wind is South. A west wind is advantageous for the 6km valley ahead as you need energy for Barnadearg (or sheeffry as it is often referred). This 2km uphill section rises from 70m ASL to 200m ASL. This may not seem long but it is a tough gruelling climb in which when you think your at the top, your only half way.
    Wipe your sweaty brow, check your brakes, fasten down everything as you are coming to a very steep 1.6 km downhill which comes on you very quick. Carefull on the tight corners, potholes and loose gravel. From there to Drummin village 3km is mostly downhill, so time for more hydration/eating, keep the eating to a minimal from here though as you are coming close to the Reek. Drummin to Liscarney 7.7km is a series of up and downhills, nice downhill just before the crossroads. Liscarney to Owenwee turn off 1.6km is all flat. A gradual uphill commences after 2km from the turn off to Owenwee. This 6.4km of bog track takes you to the 240m ASL - base of the reek, with very little downhill.
    Once you climb the reek and return the hardest part of the race is over. A good 2km downhill after the reek gives you good progress but watch for the hard left going on to the western way. There is a steady climb for 1.4 km through this track but take care on the last 1km of downhill where there is a lot of loose slate and bog. Back on tar then on a downhill section of over 2km. Corners are tricky especially when your building speed. Roads are often damp here in the driest of weather. Homeward bound for 3.5km then which is an easy cycle along the main road.
    Wishing you all a good and safe GF.

great advice, spot on with everything, though not that easy a cycle for the last bit legs will be burning!!

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Real_World?

REPOSTED in the correct thread. Thanks
    Doing the Connemarra challenge next weekend. Looking forward to it as have never tried anything like this before.
    Does anybody know. When you come to the kayak section of the course. Do you drop your backpack there or bring it with you. As lifejackets wouldn't fit over the backpacks.

Also on clothing any recommendation for a good jacket to wear. Looking for one at the moment.

Thanks for any advice.

REPOSTED in the correct thread. Thanks
    Doing the Connemarra challenge next weekend. Looking forward to it as have never tried anything like this before.
    Does anybody know. When you come to the kayak section of the course. Do you drop your backpack there or bring it with you. As lifejackets wouldn't fit over the backpacks.

Also on clothing any recommendation for a good jacket to wear. Looking for one at the moment.

Thanks for any advice.
    backpack into the kayak my friend

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭<bert>

i recently started training for this event but i have never ran in competition or have not cycled for years until last week.just wondering what type of bike/wheels would be best for this event as i have heard there are off road stages?any other info would be good as i have never done anything like this before.
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 8 MelissaCB

hey all

I'm a newbie to gael force, would love to do it this year. I'm not sure about the whole wave entry thing, I wonder would anyone have any idea- I'm currently on my last high mileage week to train for the cork city marathon (23 miles tomorrow all going well), I'm hoping to get past the marathon line in 3hrs 45mins. Haven't done much on the bike before- the clonakilty sprint duathalon last year in 1hr 15mins (bike section hilly, 20km)
    (I've a really heavy MTB, will be looking to rent a cyclocross for GFW) .
    I'm thinking it would be sensible to enter as a jogger but not sure!
    thanks

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

MelissaCB wrote: »
    hey all

I'm a newbie to gael force, would love to do it this year. I'm not sure about the whole wave entry thing, I wonder would anyone have any idea- I'm currently on my last high mileage week to train for the cork city marathon (23 miles tomorrow all going well), I'm hoping to get past the marathon line in 3hrs 45mins. Haven't done much on the bike before- the clonakilty sprint duathalon last year in 1hr 15mins (bike section hilly, 20km)
    (I've a really heavy MTB, will be looking to rent a cyclocross for GFW) .
    I'm thinking it would be sensible to enter as a jogger but not sure!
    thanks

Go in as a runner Melissa. With that time of yours in the marathon it will mean your fitness level will in general be higher than most joggers.
    We went in jogger in year 1 and the under foot was in poor shape. We did the 2nd year in the 2nd wave and the ground was a lot better.

Bike choice is up to yourself, used a road bike on both occassions, used standard tires and had no punctures last year.

MTB will kill you on the hills but don't go out spending big money if you are not using it again! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19 joe1982

Hey guys this is my first year doing gaelforce and just wondering how does my training look so far.

Sunday 100km+ cycle with club on 2 to 3 good climbs with average speed 30km+

Monday 8km run and still building up the distance

Tuesday Rest

Wednesday 45km cycle with club, very fast with race once per month averaging between 32 - 37 km

Thursday 8km run

Friday cycle to croagh patrik 12km, climb Murisk side, and run back down with a time of 1hour 20 and improving all the time, cycle home again.

Saturday Rest.

I would love to make sub 6 but not sure if i am ready yet for it, sub 5 would be a dream. Its really all down to my running if I can improve enough in the time left. Any advice would be great, Thanks guys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 MelissaCB

Thanks, I'll try that :)

Advertisement