Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LIDL offering TV with MPEG4 Tuner

Options
  • 25-11-2010 9:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,542 ✭✭✭

LIDL are finally offering a TV with an MPEG4 Tuner.

It's a 32" for €349.99, usual Silvercrest brand

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,500 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Thanks for the link.

Verso posted yesterday afternoon that it was in the new catalogue but the link wasn't up at that time.

marclt got a reply to an email from them a few weeks ago in which they said it was be available on the 11th Nov, but better late than never.

Spec from the website
    32inch FullHD LCD TV with MPEG4 Tuner

• Experience the future in Digital Terrestrial TV (DTT) with this state of the art FullHD TV with MPEG4 tuner!
    • 4 HDMI connections with HDCP decoding for high quality digital video and audio signal playback
    • 2 USB 2.0 ports for accessing video & picture files on any memory stick or hard drive
    • With CI+ slot for accessing future Pay TV channels
    • Also ideal as a PC monitor (VGA input)
    • Suitable for tabletop use or wall-mounting (wall bracket not included)
    • Receive FREE Irish Standard & HD TV Channels
    • With built-in DVB-T tuner (MPEG4)
    • Receives Digital Teletext and Electronic Programme Guide
    • With MHEG5 capable receiver
    • Technical specifications: TV system: PAL/SECAM/DVB-T (MPEG2/4); Audio: 2 x 8W RMS (Dual Stereo/Nicam); Viewing angle: 178° horizontal/178° vertical; Response time: 8ms; Size (with base): 77.5 x 56.6 x 18.7cm; Weight (with base): 11.9kg; Resolution: 1920 x 1080 pixels; Contrast: 1,400:1; Brightness: 450cd/m²; 16:9 aspect ratio; Ports: 4 x HDML, 2 x Scart, 2 x USB; In: VGA, Aerial, AV, Composite Video; Out: Headphones, Digital audio
    • (Digital Teletext Your receiver requires MHEG5 to display Digital Teletext. It provides richer text formatting and supports images. The current channel you are viewing stays on screen while you are browsing teletext)
    • (Electronic Programme Guide An EPG is a programme guide embedded in digital broadcasts and viewable on your TV. The EPG holds 7 days of programming information for each channel listed on the EPG. With the EPG you are able to browse your TV channels comfortably, set reminders, schedule to view your favourite programmes and much more. Your TV/receiver must feature the MHEG5 standard to run the EPG fully.)
    • (Irish Digital Terrestial TV (DTT) DTT was launched in Ireland in October 2010. All digital Irish standard and HD channels will be available come spring 2011.Service will be extended further over the following months. DTTwill completely replace analogue TV in Ireland by 2012. DTT allows for a larger number of channels to be broadcast while using less space compared to analogue. DTT provides excellent video and audio quality. The MPEG4 format allows even HD channels and digital surround sound information to be broadcasted in highest quality. It also provides interactive information services.)
    • Digital aerial required. Requirements will vary depending on the coverage in your area

On sale in NI Lidl stores too for £299.99

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

http://www.lidl.ie/ie/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20101202.p.32inch_FullHD_LCD_TV_with_MPEG4_Tuner

Finally!

They got ONE detail wrong
    Digital aerial required. Requirements will vary depending on the coverage in your area
    No such thing as a digital Aerial!

It will work also with N.I., Wales and IOM freeview if you are near enough, but not with "Freeview HD"., so N.I. purchasers may be disappointed in late 2012 when N.I. "Freeview HD" starts.

It's possibly a Vestel, same manufacturer as makes Walker TVs (Some are actually Saorview Certified).

watty wrote: »
    http://www.lidl.ie/ie/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20101202.p.32inch_FullHD_LCD_TV_with_MPEG4_Tuner

Finally!

They got ONE detail wrong

No such thing as a digital Aerial!

And this too
    Your TV/receiver must feature the MHEG5 standard to run the EPG fully

No MHEG-5 epg being broadcast.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Good news , did not stop them dumping some old stock earlier in November and hopefully they will not do that again.

As for ALDI :(

The Cush wrote: »
    And this too
    Your TV/receiver must feature the MHEG5 standard to run the EPG fully

No MHEG-5 epg being broadcast.

Agreed. Well spotted. Though technically that could be true in the future. It's certainly true that MHEG5 *could* be used for more than Teletext replacement.

OT a bit (for those who have not seen MHEG5 or wonder why it's good the Lidl set does it)
    I added a photo of "Windows 7 Media Center" running MHEG5 here and here. Seems to be sole reason I've found for running Windows 7 ;) Simply install driver and plug USB dual stick in. Does everything "Saorview" supposed to do without extra faffing around looking for codecs and configuring Renderers. "Total Media 3.5" is perfect straight from Install on all versions of XP/vista/Win7 but only Teletext, no MHEG5.

• Advertisement

It could be that the Programme Coming Up Reminders that you set in the EPG require MHEG5 or you don't get the warning popping up. They could word it better though, if they knew how :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Is anyone on here going to buy one of these? I am very tempted. I presume, there is no cheaper 32 inch saorview compatible tv out there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

Deedsie wrote: »
    Is anyone on here going to buy one of these? I am very tempted. I presume, there is no cheaper 32 inch saorview compatible tv out there?

Actually there is. The Walker is €299. Saorview approved.

STB wrote: »
    Actually there is. The Walker is €299. Saorview approved.

For a 32 inch model? I didnt see that one on the power city website?

http://www.powercity.ie/?brands=WALKER&pages=1&par=10-12

Found it, there is a couple of differences I noticed straight away. The lidl model has a 3 year guarantee whereas the walker has only one. The walker has a 720p picture, while the lidl model has 1080p.

• Advertisement

We need someone to buy one and tell us what works and what doesn't Deedsie. Remember they will take it back and refund no quibbles if it does not work fully...more than we can say for some other shops.

Lidl is not cheap any more for anything any good.

Why does the lidl ad say save €30 on it? What are those savings based on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭cartman51773

there is a way better tv in powercity for 399.95. sony bravia 32" which has mpeg 2 and mpeg 4. it also plays digital audio video and photo files via memory stick and sony are giving the vat back so you will get 69.43 off this bringing it to €330.52
    a much better tv than lidl

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Have you a link to that?

I didnt think that vat back offer applioed to those cheapest sony tvs

For many people, i think the samsung 32" HD ready you can get in argos atm for 360€ would be the better buy

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/5296228/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CHome%2Bentertainment%2Band%2Bsat%2Bnav%7C14419512/c_2/2%7Ccat_14419512%7CTelevisions%7C14419667/c_3/3%7Ccat_14419667%7CLCD%2BTVs%7C19878730.htm

Samsung are the worlds biggest maker of lcd panels so they know a thing or two,its not Full HD but who cares, you really would want to be using it as a computer monitor to get any ebnefit out of that IMO

http://www.powercity.ie/?par=10-12-32C530

380€, full hd samsung actually, if you have somehow convinced yourself you need full hd, Probably a slightly better tv again than the other one

there is a way better tv in powercity for 399.95. sony bravia 32" which has mpeg 2 and mpeg 4. it also plays digital audio video and photo files via memory stick and sony are giving the vat back so you will get 69.43 off this bringing it to €330.52
    a much better tv than lidl

Has it mheg 5? Any link to it?sounds a good deal.

Zonda999 wrote: »
    Have you a link to that?

I didnt think that vat back offer applioed to those cheapest sony tvs

For many people, i think the samsung 32" HD ready you can get in argos atm for 360€ would be the better buy

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/5296228/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CHome%2Bentertainment%2Band%2Bsat%2Bnav%7C14419512/c_2/2%7Ccat_14419512%7CTelevisions%7C14419667/c_3/3%7Ccat_14419667%7CLCD%2BTVs%7C19878730.htm

Samsung are the worlds biggest maker of lcd panels so they know a thing or two,its not Full HD but who cares, you really would want to be using it as a computer monitor to get any ebnefit out of that IMO

380€, full hd samsung actually, if you have somehow convinced yourself you need full hd, Probably a slightly better tv again than the other one

At the end of the argos ad, it says: Please note that the digital and Freeview features of this TV are not available in the Republic of Ireland

Deedsie wrote: »
    At the end of the argos ad, it says: Please note that the digital and Freeview features of this TV are not available in the Republic of Ireland

That appears to be there by default for all of the Argos TVs. I think most if not all Samsung's are MPEG-4 compatible, always best to check the actual specs in the manual or the manufacturers website. In the case of Samsung - www.samsung.com/ie

here is the link for the sony

it will run mpeg 4 and mpeg 2
    http://www.powercity.ie/?par=10-12-32E301

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

The Cush wrote: »
    That appears to be there by default for all of the Argos TVs. I think most if not all Samsung's are MPEG-4 compatible, always best to check the actual specs in the manual or the manufacturers website. In the case of Samsung - www.samsung.com/ie

Yea, both of these are definitely mpeg4
    here is the link for the sony

it will run mpeg 4 and mpeg 2
    http://www.powercity.ie/?par=10-12-32E301

Ah right but it doesnt mention anything about the vat back there, whereas it does alright for some more expensive sont sets

• Advertisement

maybe im wrong but still better paying 399.95 for a sony than some cheap model in lidl. does that samsung also work with mpeg 2 and 4

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,415 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

maybe im wrong but still better paying 399.95 for a sony than some cheap model in lidl. does that samsung also work with mpeg 2 and 4

The Sony is not full HD. But there are branded full HD TVs for less than €400 out there at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭jeromeof

Guys,
    This Samsung model in PowerCity is the best IMO:

Got one of these a week ago, Saorview works fine, nice USB media player support and most importantly Full HD with lots of inputs for different devices.

There are better TV's but not in this price range I believe.

OT a bit (for those who have not seen MHEG5 or wonder why it's good the Lidl set does it)
    I added a photo of "Windows 7 Media Center" running MHEG5 here and here. Seems to be sole reason I've found for running Windows 7 ;) Simply install driver and plug USB dual stick in. Does everything "Saorview" supposed to do without extra faffing around looking for codecs and configuring Renderers. "Total Media 3.5" is perfect straight from Install on all versions of XP/vista/Win7 but only Teletext, no MHEG5.

Just to confirm something in the Techtir article, only the Starter edition doesn't have Media Center but this only applies to netbooks. Home Basic doesn't either but this isn't commercially available in most countries so isn't really relevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭winston_1

Zonda999 wrote: »
    Yea, both of these are definitely mpeg4

Ah right but it doesnt mention anything about the vat back there, whereas it does alright for some more expensive sont sets

They don't give the VAT back. That would be illegal. They are giving a 17.35% discount (if you claim it).
    NB not 21%, but 21 euros for every 121 euros which works out at 17.35%.

Karsini wrote: »
    Just to confirm something in the Techtir article, only the Starter edition doesn't have Media Center but this only applies to netbooks. Home Basic doesn't either but this isn't commercially available in most countries so isn't really relevant.
    Windows 7 Media Center.

Starter edition and Home Basic doesn't have Media Center (Thanks Karsini), all other Windows 7 should be fine. The "wizard" was simple and everything worked on 1st attempt. Even MHEG5 Interactive text.

Do they spell it the US way always, or does spelling change to proper English "Centre" when you localise?

I borrowed someone else's awesome MSI gamer laptop for the Windows 7 tests. He was so impressed he bought his own DTT stick. He had analogue TV card in his desktop some years ago (totally rubbish way to watch TV unless you want a 320x 240 window!) so appreciates the difference.

Do they spell it the US way always, or does spelling change to proper English "Centre" when you localise?

I borrowed someone else's awesome MSI gamer laptop for the Windows 7 tests. He was so impressed he bought his own DTT stick. He had analogue TV card in his desktop some years ago (totally rubbish way to watch TV unless you want a 320x 240 window!) so appreciates the difference.

It always uses US spelling, I don't believe Microsoft have a UK English version of any of their software, though other vendors such as NVIDIA and Mozilla do localise.

I had one of those analogue cards myself a few years back. Only worked for NICAM audio so I suspect it was a PAL B/G unit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Looking to pick one up. First HDTV.

Will use it for dvd, bluray, hooking the laptop up, possible ps3 (might get a loan of one)

Would ye recommend this model?

The Lidl one isn't a great bargain. The only notable fact is that it's the first time they have had a Digital TV that works here, even though tests have been running over two years.

Power City is better and ships nationwide.

If you have 26" 4:3 or a 32" Widescreen, then 42" to 48" is a better size HDTV depending on room size.

For a smaller (less than average size) you can go for a 37" or 42" HDTV

32" HDTV is a intimate 2 person set, or a secondary set for Kitchen, Study or Bedroom. It's about equivalent to a 14" to 16" 4:3 CRT in terms of distance vs detail per typical use.

If you mostly watch "high production value" Cinema, i.e most are 2.3:1 to 2.4:1 WS rather than cheap 1.85:1 WS (TV WS is 16:9 = 1.78:1) then you go for 48" or larger as there will be big black bars top & bottom.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

The Lidl one isn't a great bargain. The only notable fact is that it's the first time they have had a Digital TV that works here, even though tests have been running over two years.

It is super compliant from what I can see.

Not many manufacturers are CI+ compliant !

Advertisement