Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meteor changes Terms And Conditions?

Options
  • 29-10-2010 1:49pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭

just seen this in todays irish Independent.
    Is it a clause to get out of contract?

682f0abe.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭long_b

kceire wrote: »
    just seen this in todays irish Independent.
    Is it a clause to get out of contract?

682f0abe.jpg

Looks like it.
    I LOVE METEOR :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Unless I'm missing something this is purely a price reduction with no downside. I don't know the exact legislation but they might be able to argue that no one could have a legitimate reason for not wanting to accept a price reduction.....

edit: actually there is one down side, if you used a tiny amount of data it used to cost 2c but now it's a minimum of 69c. Hmmmm

edit2: they have regulation 17 on the notification page so it looks like it is a deal breaker:
    http://www.meteor.ie/terms_and_conditions/notifications/mobile_internet_price/

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    Unless I'm missing something this is purely a price reduction with no downside. I don't know the exact legislation but they might be able to argue that no one could have a legitimate reason for not wanting to accept a price reduction.....

edit: actually there is one down side, if you used a tiny amount of data it used to cost 2c but now it's a minimum of 69c. Hmmmm

edit2: they have regulation 17 on the notification page so it looks like it is a deal breaker:
    http://www.meteor.ie/terms_and_conditions/notifications/mobile_internet_price/

International calls have changed to per minute billing instead of per second, surely that's a cost increase there?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

long_b wrote: »
    International calls have changed to per minute billing instead of per second, surely that's a cost increase there?

It doesn't have to be an increase to get out, if the contract changes, you can be released, and the contract will be different than when you signed up for it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

Here we go again. :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Davy wrote: »
    It doesn't have to be an increase to get out, if the contract changes, you can be released, and the contract will be different than when you signed up for it

if youve only signed up to an 18 month contract, would you have to return the phone you got from them?

ive no plans to leave them as im on a family and friends offer, so im just curious?
    but it could suit my mam tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Psygnosis

I missed the last contract change what do people reckon can we cancel

• Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Looks like you can, they've just upped your call charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭jwcurtin

kceire wrote: »
    if youve only signed up to an 18 month contract, would you have to return the phone you got from them?

ive no plans to leave them as im on a family and friends offer, so im just curious?
    but it could suit my mam tbh.
    Also interested in this, i dont want to hand back my HTC Legend

I know a lot of people got out cleanly last time so... please post if Meteor forced you to hand back your handset when you got out of your contract.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭flipall

Meteor wont make you give back your handset. You can ring them and simply say you want to be moved back to prepay due to the change in your contract. Even if you really like meteor :eek: you could sign up to a new contract next week and get another new phone! Know people who did this last time they decided to change their prices, which wasnt very long ago :rolleyes:

flipall wrote: »
    Meteor wont make you give back your handset. You can ring them and simply say you want to be moved back to prepay due to the change in your contract. Even if you really like meteor :eek: you could sign up to a new contract next week and get another new phone! Know people who did this last time they decided to change their prices, which wasnt very long ago :rolleyes:

There was a lot of noise around the time about Meteor coming the heavy and demanding the return of the handset. I think people would be interested to hear from anyone who did end up returning the handset.

I'm aware that most people didn't have to the last time - I'm one of them !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

The direct number for cancellations is 1800-222-085

• Registered Users Posts: 7,218 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Are they stupid after last time?

The per minute billing on international calls certainly puts the customer in a less favourable position

On second thoughts, this pretty much ends the usefulness of Cabbage? Or at least seriously dents it

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

On second thoughts, this pretty much ends the usefulness of Cabbage? Or at least seriously dents it

It does affect it for people on that tariff. You'd have to send 5 or 6 texts a day or be using the internet anyway to make it worthwhile

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭SupaDupaFly

Just got out of contract, they offered me a free upgrade to stay with meteor billpay. Don't accept it if your offered it anyone. You can always go in and get a new contract for free next week!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 series2a

Hi Supadupafly,
    can you tell me who you phoned and what number. Did you have much trouble? I just took out a contract a month ago and this is great news.
    Cheers

Ralph

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭SupaDupaFly

series2a wrote: »
    Hi Supadupafly,
    can you tell me who you phoned and what number. Did you have much trouble? I just took out a contract a month ago and this is great news.
    Cheers

Ralph

Hi Ralph,

I rang the 1800222085 number and got straight through to cancellations. I just told I wanted out and I was within my rights to terminate the contract. Easy as that.
    Good luck with it.

Supa

Lovely Jubley, Just canceled, must pop off an email to confirm this

Cheers for the help

Ralph

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭iba

Hi,

Im on Meteor Bill Pay Smart 18 month contract which costs €30 p.c.m. with 200 mins of chat and 200 texts. Last week Meteor dropped the price of this 'bundle' to €25 p.c.m. Am I correct in thinking that I could now contact Meteor and cancel my contract because they have changed the terms and conditions and then resign up for the €25 p.c.m. bundle?

Regards

The Iba

Hi Iba,
    yes tis that simple

Ralph

iba wrote: »
    Hi,

Im on Meteor Bill Pay Smart 18 month contract which costs €30 p.c.m. with 200 mins of chat and 200 texts. Last week Meteor dropped the price of this 'bundle' to €25 p.c.m. Am I correct in thinking that I could now contact Meteor and cancel my contract because they have changed the terms and conditions and then resign up for the €25 p.c.m. bundle?

Regards

The Iba
    Get a new phone while you are at it, sell it on adverts even if you want to keep your current one

• Registered Users Posts: 6 richieq1

u wouldnt be able to cancel because they changed the price was speaking to them this is a port in offer that has no effect on axisting customers as its a promotion no a T&C change

u can cancel due to normal T&Cs change just no the reason u have stated ie price plan change

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭ro2

Phoned up and cancelled too. I only had six weeks left on the contract anyway, so they didn't give me any hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭iba

ro2 wrote: »
    Phoned up and cancelled too. I only had six weeks left on the contract anyway, so they didn't give me any hassle.

What did you say to them?

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭ro2

iba wrote: »
    What did you say to them?

I just said that I have a contract and that I heard that you're changing your terms and conditions, so I'd like to cancel it. They asked if it was due to the increase in the international rates and that was it. I was able to change the phone over to pay as you go straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭JohnButler

This is great news. I am 4 months into a 12 month contract so because contract has changed i can cancel my contract? Is it as easy as ringing them up and asking nicely?

JohnButler wrote: »
    This is great news. I am 4 months into a 12 month contract so because contract has changed i can cancel my contract? Is it as easy as ringing them up and asking nicely?

Yes, just mention the changes in the International call charges, that you're not happy and that you'd like to be released from the contract without penalty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

Although many people who broke out of the contract in August with the same loophole had no problems, beware nonetheless.

They direct debited me 338 bucks just yesterday for cancellation fee, I will be getting my monies back.

Check out the $hit buzz here http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056004909

Advertisement