Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why Is Marijuana Illegal?

Options
  • 30-07-2010 2:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭

Firstly, I want to express the fact that I am not a regular user of the drug itself, nor am I condoning it - I am just interested how society has labeled it negatively when they are unwilling to educate the ill-informed about the benefits.

1) It is not in any way, shape or form, addictive, mentally or physically.
    2) It has unlimited and legitimate medical uses.
    3) It is not a "gateway" drug.
    4) If it was legal, organised crime would fall.
    5) Government can tax it and give tourism a boost.

The funny thing about this whole farce is, Marijuana has been legal in the Netherlands since the 30's and according to the consumption stats, the Dutch use the recreational drug the least. Not one recorded fatality has occurred from the use of marijuana, yet alcohol and tobacco are severe killers and they're still available.

What are you thoughts? Should it be available for purchase, legally?

Should Marijuana Be Available, Legally? 1114 votes

Yes - It Has Numerous Benefits.
    0% 0 votes
    No - I Am Against The Decriminalisation Of Marijuana.
    100% 1114 votes
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Marijuana has been legal in the Netherlands since the 30's

And have you seen the state of the people that go there? Temple Bar is bad enough as it is without bringing hash café's into it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭easyeason3

You will find that most people who are afraid of marijuana are usually the ones that have never tried it or done any research into it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

...Must be that time of the month.
    Here we go again...

Neither for/against.
    Just wish some would read previous threads that mention/discuss this topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Procasinator

Are we really having this conversation. Again. Someone needs to make a sticky.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 1,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blackhorse Slim

Because it doesn't have powerful lobby groups backing it like alcohol and tobacco do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭Wazdakka

They're doing a vote in the US about this pretty soon.
    Washington and California are having a referendum on whether it should be legalised :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

Because of pressure from the States which made it illegal in the early part of the last century.

George Washington grew it on his plantation.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Someone needs to make a sticky.

ok tilt your head back and open wide

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Procasinator

easyeason3 wrote: »
    You will find that most people who are afraid of marijuana are usually the ones that have never tried it or done any research into it.

A lot who try it also have done no research on it either, and simply trust whoever gives it to them. Just saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Biggins wrote: »
    ...Must be that time of the month.
    Here we go again...

Neither for/against.
    Just wish some would read previous threads that mention/discuss this topic.

I would note that some people are not regulars of this forum Biggins so they would not be aware of other threads... like the bi-monthly God thread thats happening right now. Lets not be too harsh on them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

folan wrote: »
    Because of pressure from the States which made it illegal in the early part of the last century.

George Washington grew it on his plantation.

He also had slaves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭I_AmThe_Walrus

Wazdakka wrote: »
    They're doing a vote in the US about this pretty soon.
    Washington and California are having a referendum on whether it should be legalised :)

Interesting - I heard something about this Proposition but I can't remember it. Wasn't that supposed to happen years ago? I thought Obama was a strong advocate for it?
    pmcmahon wrote: »
    ok tilt your head back and open wide

lulz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭jordan..

Firstly, I want to express the fact that I am not a regular user of the drug itself, nor am I condoning it - I am just interested how society has labeled it negatively when they are unwilling to educate the ill-informed about the benefits.

The funny thing about this whole farce is, Marijuana has been legal in the Netherlands since the 30's and according to the consumption stats, the Dutch use the recreational drug the least. Not one recorded fatality has occurred from the use of marijuana, yet alcohol and tobacco are severe killers and they're still available.

It is definately mentally addictive!! Great drug but it does have its side affects!

DrumSteve wrote: »
    I would note that some people are not regulars of this forum Biggins so they would not be aware of other threads... like the bi-monthly God thread thats happening right now. Lets not be too harsh on them.
    True but God/Allah/Mother Earth/Xenu bless the search function. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭Wazdakka

Thread needs poll...

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Menengroth™

Because of Liveline with Joe "****ing" Duffy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭D.R cowboy

Stop trying to push drugs on boards.ie:mad:

Wazdakka wrote: »
    Thread needs poll...
    Thread needs free samples!

D.R cowboy wrote: »
    Stop trying to push drugs on boards.ie:mad:

I am not! Take that back!

The truth is that ALL propaganda, from THC making you loose your memory to being a gateway drug, everything, has been proven false. There are numerous reasons why it is illegal. Originally in the early 1900's it was because it was associated with other races, which is racist! Later in the Vietnam War, it was associated with peace and anti-war activists; therefore president Nixon promoted the, now failed, war on drugs. None of the reasons it is illegal make sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

Anyone for proposing a new "Thorny Recurring Issues" forum?

Although, AH would be empty... :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

It would have been nice some serious links to back up your claims.
    Too much to ask?

biko wrote: »
    It would have been nice some some links to back up your claims.

I'm on it, let me have time for some awesome research! :D

Also, this thread is not a run-of-the-mill one. I am asking people why people have made it illegal, not an unoriginal petition to make it legal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭thebigbiffo

it's illegal because of racism against mexicans and portions of the black community who were using it instead of working like the good 'ni**ers' they were supposed to be. check out harry anslinger too, he was the man behind alot of the hype and propoganda that ended in prohibition

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_Anslinger

the textiles industry also provided a massive amount of backing for the campaign as hemp was the main rival to newer synthetic materials and it suited them for the plant to be outlawed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭D.R cowboy

I am not! Take that back!

I will if you take back your thread, drugs destroy peoples lives every day and make it hell for people likes us, who have to live with those people in our society.

If everyone was high, nothing would get done.

There should be a "Don't know" or "Neutral" voting option.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭ddef

I have friends who are like zombies after months of taking it everyday. a couple even came in high to some of their leaving cert exams. It is most definately addictive mentally. and also about the "gateway" part of it; i wouldnt agree with some people saying it will lead to meth, heroin, crack etc. but my friends have done salvia and mdma and acid. Im very doubtful they would have done that without first experiencing weed.
    Its bad enough seeing my friends like this, we dont need an entire zombified city.

This issue must be openly debated using only the facts. Groundless claims, meaningless statistics, and exaggerated scare stories that have been peddled by politicians and prohibitionists. ANNUAL DEATHS CAUSED BY DRUGS.

TOBACCO …………………… 400,000
    ALCOHOL …………………… 100,000
    ALL LEGAL DRUGS ……… 20,000
    ALL ILLEGAL DRUGS ……15,000
    CAFFEINE ……………………. 2,000
    ASPIRIN ……………………… 500
    MARIJUANA …………………. 0
    —————————————-

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I'm on it, let me have time for some awesome research! :D
    It's all in the preparation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

ALL ILLEGAL DRUGS ……15,000

MARIJUANA ………………….0

Why is it in a separate category?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,476 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

why can't people just be happy with getting pissed off their heads every weekend?

Advertisement