Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*All* Name change queries

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Meathlass wrote: »
    I can't be the only one to have done something this stupid.
    I was going on a Ryanair flight last year. There were several mistakes in my name and I was seriously worried about having my wallet raped if noticed. The check in girl spotted it straight away and went off for what seemed like an eternity and returned with a new ticket. No charge! :)

Yours is very minor by comparison! Good luck.

(I had a thread about it here the night before I travelled.)

EDIT: just to clarify - I didn't book the ticket myself and my unusual name led to the spelling problems for the person that did.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

This is our only holiday this year for a few days to Poland and there's only one flight a day so if we can't go on the original flight we'll have to pay a fortune to book new tickets. On a tight budget as well as i'm in and out of work (good ole recession!), the fees for a name change would eat up most of my holiday income. I know they say your name has to be exactly as it appears on your passport but there are no titles on your passport so don't know why they give you this option. I could have picked miss, ms or dr for my title (all would have been right) except I picked the only one which wasn't right. Typical! If i go to the airport and they notice it what are my options then - is buying a new ticket the only option?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

The chances of it being both noticed and made an issue of are so small that I think you should not let it worry you (okay, it's easy for me to say that, because it's not my ticket).

If push comes to shove, you can always say that titles are arbitrary and optional. For example, if you travel as "dr", it is not reasonable for them to ask you to show your parchment.

Just go to Poland and have a great time. File a trip report, because I haven't been there yet, and hope to go in the not too distant future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭lady_j

Don't worry about it, I've done it twice now!!! Once my own error, once a travel agents. Ring the airline and they should make a note of it on your ticket that they can see when you check in. I had a wee bit of problem with security but once they asked the airline it was fine. It didnt cost me anything either time.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

The title (Ms/Mr) shouldn't cause an issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭piskins72

did same thing myself on a recent flight for bristol put myself as Mr instead of Ms :D had no hassles in either dublin or bristol

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

BuffyBot wrote: »
    The title (Ms/Mr) shouldn't cause an issue.

I'd hope that the "security" guy checking boarding passes gets a laugh out of it though.

Other than that it is as said, a non-issue though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

Thanks for all the replies. I rang Ryanair and they said that the names had to be perfect but that they would change the titles free of charge, did it there and then, no problems. Took me about 1 hour of continuous ringing to get through to helpline but once i did it was fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

does your passport give your gender o.0

just say that you are a guy and your bf is a girl... its a complicated relationship, and you dont want to talk about it.

(i just checked that the pp does give the gender, heh never noticed that... but you might still get points for trying :))

• Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭tipp86

I hate starting new threads for such a small issue but here goes anyway !!

I just went to check in online with ryanair to find out that my name is down as Ms instead of Mr. It seems to cost me €100 euros to change it :eek:

Surely this cant be right what should i do ?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭pokerface_me

Happened me in July with one of my daughters, the print out said Mr xxxx xxxx. We only seen it when we queing in the airport 8 of us were travelling together, the girl never said a word to us that checked us in, and i asked someone when we returned from holidays that worked for Ryanair and he said its only the main name i.e Joe Bloggs, that matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭tipp86

Thanks il gamble with it so i suppose unless i hear different

You know what would stop you having to start threads...the search button :)

Merged with the one from just a few days ago :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 myrkyllinen

How was this situation solved?

I'm in the same situation now, I'm due to fly to Helsinki from Spain on Friday and I have a ticket with my name and surnames spelled correctly but a Mr instead of Ms or Mrs. I phoned the airline (Finnair/Iberia) and they say that it won't be a problem at all, and they added a note to the pnr that they can see at check-in. After reading your experiences I guess I should trust the airline and approach the check-in desk with confidence, but I cannot help being stressed about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭bills

well if they have said it wont be a problem and noted it- im sure it wont be.
    Probably happens all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 cailin00

Hi, I'm having some trouble. I have some flights booked for thursday flying with ryanair. When I was booking the flights I put my friends first names as Ciara and Deborah, they gave me their passports to check them in online today and I seen they have signed their passports Ciara-Marie and Deborah-Louise. I rang ryanair who said to add a second first name it's €100 each. As I booked the flights I am responsible but can not afford to pay for these name changes as I have little money for accommodation etc as it is, we're travelling over to spain for a friends wedding so it's not a holiday. I was wondering if anyone has had this problem before? I really can't afford to change the names but don't want to chance it and risk them not being able to fly. Help!!

If you mean that the passport displays their middle name, and the booking doesn't, that won't be a problem (i.e passport says Sally Jane Smith, booking says Sally Smith). If you mean the passports have a double-barrelled first name (i.e. Ann-Marie Jones) and you've put it down on the booking as Ann Jones, well it's possible there might be in issue there. It may not, but be aware that yes, it would be possible for them to deny boarding in that case as the names are different (Ann and Ann-Marie could be two different people).

They might not do it, but it is a possibility.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 cailin00

Thanks for your reply BuffyBot. Yeah they're double-barrelled first names, Talked to my friends and they're gonna chance it! They don't seem to be worriers like me! We'll be flying tommorow so we'll see then!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

In a similar note I went and booked my Da in as "Sean" forgetting that his passport says "John".

He's only flying from Derry to London so do you'se reckon he would be alright?

Unlikely, to be honest. That's a big change (language translation aside)

• Advertisement

I called them and they said it'd cost €150 so now I'm faced with either telling him to risk it and hope they'll let him off or photoshopping it.

In fairness, you only meet Ryanair staff at the gate so they might let him away with it saying as he's past security and everything.

Anyone ever risked photoshopping? Can't really imagine he'd get caught as they'd have to look it up in the computer to check if they didn't match.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭undo

irish_goat wrote: »
    Anyone ever risked photoshopping?

People have reported here that they modified their boarding passes. They seem to have gotten away with it. But I am sure it is against all sorts of rules and maybe even laws...

Photoshop is not the tool of choice by the way. The boarding pass is a PDF file. A PDF editor will do a much better job.

undo wrote: »
    People have reported here that they modified their boarding passes. They seem to have gotten away with it. But I am sure it is against all sorts of rules and maybe even laws...

Photoshop is not the tool of choice by the way. The boarding pass is a PDF file. A PDF editor will do a much better job.

I'll give it a whirl. ;)

Just an update to let you'se know that changing the name on the boarding pass worked a treat. :D

Cheers for the input.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭mothel

cailin00 wrote: »
    Hi, I'm having some trouble. I have some flights booked for thursday flying with ryanair. When I was booking the flights I put my friends first names as Ciara and Deborah, they gave me their passports to check them in online today and I seen they have signed their passports Ciara-Marie and Deborah-Louise. I rang ryanair who said to add a second first name it's €100 each. As I booked the flights I am responsible but can not afford to pay for these name changes as I have little money for accommodation etc as it is, we're travelling over to spain for a friends wedding so it's not a holiday. I was wondering if anyone has had this problem before? I really can't afford to change the names but don't want to chance it and risk them not being able to fly. Help!!

Hi, I did a similar thing. I just noticed when I went to check in online today that I used my maiden name instead of my married name. I was booking for my mother too so guess that's how I made the stupid mistake f using my maiden name. I'm going to ring in the morning. I tried to change it online but they wanted €100 so I thought I'd call tomorrow instead. But from you say they still want €100?? Even though it's just a silly mistake? if I was going alone I wouldn't bother, but It's a birthday gift for my mum so I have to go. I'm so angry!! and so Stupid!!!!

To change an entire name, they'll want €100 over the phone also..

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭undo

BuffyBot wrote: »
    To change an entire name, they'll want €100 over the phone also..

Actually, that fee has recently gone up to €150 if you do it by phone. Better do it online and save €50...

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭mothel

undo wrote: »
    Actually, that fee has recently gone up to €150 if you do it by phone. Better do it online and save €50...

Great news!! I rang Ryanair and I can check in online with my maiden name but just bring my marriage cert to airport!!! NO CHARGE!!!!! YAY

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 HerbertGirl

mothel wrote: »
    Great news!! I rang Ryanair and I can check in online with my maiden name but just bring my marriage cert to airport!!! NO CHARGE!!!!! YAY

:D

I'd double check this to be honest... as far as I was aware this was only if your passport is in your Maiden name and your ticket is in your married name.

A friend made the mistake of booking with her maiden name, when her passport said her married name, and had to ring about this a month ago and they only charged her €30 (not the usual €100) to change the name on her ticket to her married name.

Worth double checking again if I were you...

• Advertisement

Indeed..are you sure the agent wasn't mixing up what you were taking about?

Advertisement