Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Email from "John Murphy" - WTF?

Options
  • 29-04-2010 9:37am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Did anyone else get the email from "John Murphy" entitled "VERY IMPORTANT: Stark warning about "mental health" at UCC." yet? Eh... WTF? It's completely bizarre! It's incredibly long, so I'm not going to copy and paste it, but I am curious to see who else got it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭samf

I didnt get it, but ive seen a copy of it, and I wouldnt recommend anyone post it up here as its libelous against one particular UCC staff member. The author (who I feel really bad for) is clearly suffering from severe mental health issues. Less said about it the better really.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭orangetictac

Faith wrote: »
    I'm incredibly long

lol

No I didnt get it either.

Saw it on facebook though. Didnt read any of it..........

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

lol

No I didnt get it either.

Saw it on facebook though. Didnt read any of it..........

Lol, well spotted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

Can someone post up the content of the email without the names purlease?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 skittlesej

I got it too, and it freaked me out because it was sent to my email address directly and not through any list or anything... It's an extremely strange email, and gets quite personal about real staff members of UCC (I looked them up).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

I'd love to know how he got my email.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭Miaireland

D-Generate wrote: »

I googled it. Just put John Murphy UCC and email into google and you should get it.

Jay P wrote: »
    UCC's people search make email harvesting extremely easy if you have a lot of free time on your hands.

samf wrote: »
    UCC's people search make email harvesting extremely easy if you have a lot of free time on your hands.

Don't you have to enter someone's name directly to get an email address though? I have a really unusual name, I can't imagine it being an easy-to-spam candidate really...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭Byron85

Just read it. The person is obviously a Scientology or CCHR troll.

• Advertisement

Just read it. The person is obviously a Scientology or CCHR troll.
    No, he's a known mentally ill UCC student.
    Don't you have to enter someone's name directly to get an email address though? I have a really unusual name, I can't imagine it being an easy-to-spam candidate really...
    Thats the thing though, you dont search by name you search by degree. As a proof of concept before I managed to save every students email address in a document, it didnt take long at all. Its a bad security flaw on UCC's behalf really.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Shoesa

I didn't know what to think when I read it so I emailed one of my lecturers in the Psych department, asking if it was a weird social experiment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭Byron85

No, he's a known mentally ill UCC student.

Bloody hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

D-Generate wrote: »

Tbh it's so long and detailed it wouldn't be worth it. Google it.
    Jay P wrote: »

Can't people send them out to everyone via [EMAIL="'allstudents@ucc.ie'"]allstudents@etc.?[/EMAIL] or something? EDIT: Just saw he has my name in the 'to' section. Now that's a little unsettling.

Regardless, it's strange. He/She's after becoming an internet sensation already, boards, peoplesrepublicofcork, few discussions on Facebook; even a group!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

just got it there... seems like a bit of a mad fella alright.

Parsley wrote: »
    just got it there... seems like a bit of a mad fella alright.

The conspiracy theories are flowing in as to who he might be. Everyone thinks they know him as someone or the other.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

I didn't get it, but read the email in full online, guy who wrote it is clearly mentally ill - though completely in denial
    There is NO SUCH THING as "mental illness", there is NO SUCH THING as schizophrenia. They are MADE UP THINGS

Then found this group on facebook http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=114791915221693

I didn't get it, but read the email in full online, guy who wrote it is clearly mentally ill - though completely in denial

Then found this group on facebook http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=114791915221693

The fact that he speaks so well and is intelligent makes it seem a little more sinister to me. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Shoesa

There's another group called "I hate when I'm walking along and Dr Byrne admits me into psychiatric care!" which is not fu*king funny at all. The poor man is suffering from schizophrenia probably and is obviously traumatized from his experiences as a patient in general - go figure, schizophrenics often don't know they're schizophrenic.

It makes me so mad, laughing at someones misfortune really robs them of their dignity. :mad:

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

The fact that he speaks so well and is intelligent makes it seem a little more sinister to me. :confused:

A person can be mentally ill but still very articulate and intelligent

• Advertisement

A person can be mentally ill but still very articulate and intelligent

I understand but I've no experience with this so I've no real understanding. My comment above wasn't meant to cause insult.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭delop

And I dont think many people here would be qualified to comment based on his email...

I was a bit nervous when I read about 'The Rosenhan experiment' a few years ago http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosenhan_experiment

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭DingosAteMyBaby

Creepy stuff alright. A lot of tiime and effort went into sending that email :eek:

Shoesa wrote: »
    There's another group called "I hate when I'm walking along and Dr Byrne admits me into psychiatric care!" which is not fu*king funny at all. The poor man is suffering from schizophrenia probably and is obviously traumatized from his experiences as a patient in general - go figure, schizophrenics often don't know they're schizophrenic.

It makes me so mad, laughing at someones misfortune really robs them of their dignity. :mad:

Total +1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭The Paws

I got the email too...the poor thing. I didnt know what to think when I had a quick look at the rest of the mail.
    I hope this "person" will get the help s/he needs.

+1 ucc email addresses need to be blocked out or otherwise anyone around anywhere can email us eg insert any surname and pick one email to use.... I wish UCC will just take off our names from the webpage to be on a safe side.

...thank god - I thought I was the only one got it!

The Paws wrote: »
    I got the email too...the poor thing. I didnt know what to think when I had a quick look at the rest of the mail.
    I hope this "person" will get the help s/he needs.

+1 ucc email addresses need to be blocked out or otherwise anyone around anywhere can email us eg insert any surname and pick one email to use.... I wish UCC will just take off our names from the webpage to be on a safe side.

I can't see any reason why our emails would be up on the website anyway!

Anyway, can't they track the email? I've had enough weird people emailing me last week, don't need another one!! I wonder why he sent it to certain students and not others? Maybe its module or courses in common or something like that??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭PhatPiggins

I didnt get it, but ive seen a copy of it, and I wouldnt recommend anyone post it up here as its libelous against one particular UCC staff member. The author (who I feel really bad for) is clearly suffering from severe mental health issues. Less said about it the better really.

Libelous my arse. A future in politics surely awaits you Sam. You seem to be a firm believer in the tell them nothing, its for their own good mentality that is the foundation of our great political system

I can't see any reason why our emails would be up on the website anyway!

Anyway, can't they track the email? I've had enough weird people emailing me last week, don't need another one!! I wonder why he sent it to certain students and not others? Maybe its module or courses in common or something like that??

There doesn't seem to be much order to it though, like it's not alphabetical or by course or anything... And he seems to be sending them throughout the day, which implies that he's actually sending these out individually...I got mine at 12.22am and a friend got his 3 hours later....
    This 'John Murphy' guy is probably sitting at a computer as we speak sending the email to as many staff and students he can...

There seems to be so much time put into this, apparently the pdf he links is 51 pages long... It worries me that he's so adamant.

Libelous my arse. A future in politics surely awaits you Sam. You seem to be a firm believer in the tell them nothing, its for their own good mentality that is the foundation of our great political system
    Not Libelous? Have you seen the original email? A staff member is mentioned throughout and is accused of all kinds of everything. Im pretty sure posting such a piece would break boards.ie rules.
    libel (for written, broadcast, or otherwise published words)—is the communication of a statement that makes a claim, expressly stated or implied to be factual, that may give an individual, business, product, group, government, or nation a negative image.

Plus - its distasteful considering this is likely a former student of UCC who might still know people or even have friends here.
    tell them nothing, its for their own good
    No its not for your own good, its for the good of the poor guy who sent the email in the first place, so less of the political accusations thanks.

• Advertisement

:rolleyes:
    skittlesej wrote: »
    There doesn't seem to be much order to it though, like it's not alphabetical or by course or anything... And he seems to be sending them throughout the day, which implies that he's actually sending these out individually...I got mine at 12.22am and a friend got his 3 hours later....
    This 'John Murphy' guy is probably sitting at a computer as we speak sending the email to as many staff and students he can...

There seems to be so much time put into this, apparently the pdf he links is 51 pages long... It worries me that he's so adamant.

58 pages and it's just odd I hear. Didn't read it and I don't think I will.

EDIT: Just spotted this on CollegeRoad.ie;
    The email received by some students today was not targeted at any individual or group of individuals.

The person who sent the email accessed the emails by typing random letters into the UCC search directory.

Relevant University authorities are aware of the situation and necessary action is being taken.

We would ask students to refrain from commenting on forum boards or creating tasteless facebook groups as they may serve to aggravate the situation.

Enquiries to info@uccsu.ie

**ALL COMMENTS ON THIS POST WILL BE DELETED**
    'refrain from commenting on forum boards'

Does that mean us too? :pac:

Advertisement