Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary Hurling Discussion Thread 2010.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭looder

tippspur wrote: »
    A GAA board with cop on? you'r asking for two much.
    3.30 throw in for the Tipp V Wex game is a bit strange for a Saturday.I'd say there's plenty more like yourself that will get cought with work.

The South Board are one of the worst I've ever seen.

There is just so many examples of them been terrible when it comes to fixtures/handling disputes etc...

It must be on the telly if it's on at that time, it's the only explanation I have anyway. It'll be like a league game crowd wise I'd expect.

A GAA board with cop on? you'r asking for two much.
    3.30 throw in for the Tipp V Wex game is a bit strange for a Saturday.I'd say there's plenty more like yourself that will get cought with work.

You dead right its totally ridiculous. The GAA are a very inept, out of touch with reality and totally divorced from its supporters, organisation.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 483 ✭✭tom thum

Such in depth local sports coverage here on boards.ie. Be honest looder i think your after the great man paddy (finucane's) job when he hangs the mic up :D. Id hire you with that presentaion.
    here here. ur right there tipp gunner. ud go a long waty before you'd find someone withas much club knowledge in tipperary. fair play to looder

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Gerard.C

So when are we up again in the hurling and the football lads? Cant remember the dates meself

Gerard.C wrote: »
    So when are we up again in the hurling and the football lads? Cant remember the dates meself

Sat week if vs Meath ( i think 7pm)
    Sun week if vs Laois (think 3.30)

Hurling is following sat at 3.30 vs wexford

EDIT: All in thurles

bad news for footballers from hoganstand

Tipp hit by departures

Tipperary's hopes of progressing in the All-Ireland football qualifiers have been hit by the news that four of their key players have left the panel.

Under 21 stars Ciaran McDonald and Alan Moloney as well as Chris Aylward have opted to spend the rest of the summer in the US, while forward Sean Carey has decided to concentrate on hurling with the county under 21s.

It's a massive blow to Tipp's chances of beating either Meath or Laois on the weekend after next, but manager John Evans has refused to criticise the quartet for opting out.

"Sean Carey has had a long year with the seniors and he wants to have a shot with the under 21 hurlers," the Kerryman said.

"With Ciaran, Chris and Alan, I was talking to them and negotiating with them, but there's just no employment here.

"They're going to America with my blessing. They're young lads, strapped for cash and going to college. They need the money and their commitment has been second to none. If I could get them a job here I would, but I'm afraid I can't."

• Advertisement

Good news and bad news

Pa Bourke is back :) but so is Ryan O'Dwyer :(.

Result from the South tonight:

Ballingary 1-12
    Killenaule 0-14

Ballingary more than likely eliminated. If Davins or ballybacon win on Sunday, Ballingary are out.

Carrick Swans beat Eire Og in the County Football championship by 1-09 to 1-06 too.

looder wrote: »
    Result from the South tonight:

Ballingary 1-12
    Killenaule 0-14

Ballingary more than likely eliminated. If Davins or ballybacon win on Sunday, Ballingary are out.

Carrick Swans beat Eire Og in the County Football championship by 1-09 to 1-06 too.

Thanks for that. Great to see ballingarry get a win but its looks as if killenaule took it handy at same time whereas pride was at stake for the 'mushas'. I see Donal Shelley is at the other side of that divide these times?

Festy wasn't hurling for Killenaule so looks like they took it very handy as they were already through (I think it's his groin he's having trouble with, and will more than likely miss the Wexford match I'd say).

Donal is plying his trade in Killenaule now okay. Apparently he wasn't too happy that Liam Cahill was allowed to return to Ballingary from Sars. From what I've heard it left a bitter taste in a lot of Ballingary mens mouths when he Cahill left. It's a pity as Donal is a massive loss to Ballingary. Great hurler and a sound auld skin. Him and Cahill in the same team could have made the 'Mushas' (or Mujaahs as I normally spell it :p) a force once again in the South.

Carrick Swans 4 - 09 Mullinahone 2 - 14 (Scoreboard was wrong)

Carrick Davins 1 -10 Ballybacon/Grange 0 - 07

Final Table: http://southshc.leaguerepublic.com/

• Advertisement

For those interested tipp beat Waterford in a challenge in Semple tonight i think by a goal.
    i have it as 2-23 to 1-23. noel mcgrath and bonnar maher got the goals for tipp.

EDIT: And oh yeah, Padraig Maher was centre forward.............yep... i know....

For those interested tipp beat Waterford in a challenge in Semple tonight i think by a goal.
    i have it as 2-23 to 1-23. noel mcgrath and bonnar maher got the goals for tipp.

EDIT: And oh yeah, Padraig Maher was centre forward.............yep... i know....
    Just about to post Paudie was centre forward Tipp Gunner. Personally I don't know what to make of it. I suppose challenge matches are for trying new things out. I'd like to see O Mahony tried here as he plays in the forwards with his club, Newport and might actually work out as a great ball winner there to start attacks.

Apparently Festy did the warm up, which is good news and Conor O' mahony was in Dr Morris running around with some of the subs, before going into stadium.

Garoid Ryan supposed to be the best for Tipp along with David Young (who scored a few points from half back)

Team that started:

Tipperary
    1 Brendan Cummins
    2 Paddy "Saint" Stapleton
    3 Declan Fanning
    4 Micky Cahill
    5 David Young
    6 Shane Maher
    7 Conor "Foxy" O Brien
    8 Brendan Maher
    9 Shane Mcgrath
    10 Garoid Ryan
    11 Paudie Maher
    12 John O Brien
    13 Lar Corbett
    14 Eoin Kelly
    15 Timmy Hammersley

Just about to post Paudie was centre forward Tipp Gunner. Personally I don't know what to make of it. I suppose challenge matches are for trying new things out. I'd like to see O Mahony tried here as he plays in the forwards with his club, Newport and might actually work out as a great ball winner there to start attacks.

Apparently Festy did the warm up, which is good news and Conor O' mahony was in Dr Morris running around with some of the subs, before going into stadium.

Garoid Ryan supposed to be the best for Tipp along with David Young (who scored a few points from half back)

Team that started:

Tipperary
    1 Brendan Cummins
    2 Paddy "Saint" Stapleton
    3 Declan Fanning
    4 Micky Cahill
    5 David Young
    6 Shane Maher
    7 Conor "Foxy" O Brien
    8 Brendan Maher
    9 Shane Mcgrath
    10 Garoid Ryan
    11 Paudie Maher
    12 John O Brien
    13 Lar Corbett
    14 Eoin Kelly
    15 Timmy Hammersley

Both Young and G Ryan were excellent but i dunno about these wing backs who have a free role to charge up the pitch and take points. we had Paul Kelly doing same years ago and it works until he met Shefflin or an equally good half opposing fwd. young might have future in forwards though. took his points well.

it seems if tipp had as much talent in backs as they do in fwds we would have a panel to rival kk's and not just a team

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Great win for our Footballers today,well done lads.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Will23

Great win for our Footballers today,well done lads.:cool:

fantastic, and with the number of lads missing from the team...!

well done indeed!!

Was in Semple today. absolutely delighted and glad i went. there was this absolute mental Laois man in front of me and i have to say he was worth double the admission fee for entertainment value. the young lads in front gave him some stick every time Tipp got a point or Laois drove a wide. pure hilarious.

some win for tipp considering 6 went off the panel

Bit of trivia for anyone. Did O'Mahony score the goal back in 2003 in the Munster u21 hurling final replay against cork in PuC from the forwards or was he a back?

Bit of trivia for anyone. Did O'Mahony score the goal back in 2003 in the Munster u21 hurling final replay against cork in PuC from the forwards or was he a back?
    Was he playing full forward at the time?

I think he started the All Ireland final full back that year - in Nowlan park against KK when the bet us out the gate.

Was he playing full forward at the time?

I think he started the All Ireland final full back that year - in Nowlan Park against KK when the bet us out the gate.

The KK game was in 2004 and id prefer if you didn't refer to that particular game thank you :) We were against a strong breeze in 1st half and it all went tits up for us...... could happen any team :D

We lost to Galway in the 2003 semi in Ennis when they got a last second goal and the GAA decided to spring extra time on Tipp when Galway had the momentum.

The KK game was in 2004 and id prefer if you didn't refer to that particular game thank you :) We were against a strong breeze in 1st half and it all went tits up for us...... could happen any team :D

We lost to Galway in the 2003 semi in Ennis when they got a last second goal and the GAA decided to spring extra time on Tipp when Galway had the momentum.

:) I was in Nowlan park myself that day. I remember getting off work for the game and having to go back into work after it. It was a Saturday afternoon game.

I don't remember the 2003 game at all. Was I right in saying Conor was full forward though?

• Advertisement

:) I was in Nowlan park myself that day. I remember getting off work for the game and having to go back into work after it. It was a Saturday afternoon game.

I don't remember the 2003 game at all. Was I right in saying Conor was full forward though?

that must have been absolutely awful and that shower of pox-balls of all the counties to lose so emphatically to and have to work in right after wards. Horrendous!!!

i think he was centre forward. He wasn't a starter in 03

It was a long auld night alright. I was in there for 4 hours if not 5 when I go home as I had to work back the time I got off for match. Disaster. :-)

I remember that he wouldn't have been a regular starter grown up at all. I've a picture in my room of a Nenagh Co-op Tipp team with Willie Ryan and Dimi Fitzgerald etc... I don't actually know the year - think it was either 1999 or 2000 and O' Mahony wasn't even on the panel and he's the same age as group as these two as far as I know.

Just looking at the picture and there are very few recognisable names on it. Joe Caesar of Killenaule, Andrew Morrisey and David Byron of Galtee Rovers, Pat Buckley of Emlyand Damien O Brien of Burgess are the only names that stick out. From a South Tipp perspective you had Emmet Hallinan of Newcastle (although I think that could have been a misprint - is it not Emmet O' Hanlon?), Paddy Flaherty of Cahir, Alan O' Sullivan of Carrick Swans and Darragh Lyons of Skheenarinky.

Just looking at the picture and there are very few recognisable names on it. Joe Caesar of Killenaule, Andrew Morrisey and David Byron of Galtee Rovers, Pat Buckley of Emlyand Damien O Brien of Burgess are the only names that stick out. From a South Tipp perspective you had Emmet Hallinan of Newcastle (although I think that could have been a misprint - is it not Emmet O' Hanlon?), Paddy Flaherty of Cahir, Alan O' Sullivan of Carrick Swans and Darragh Lyons of Skheenarinky.

Apart from Andrew Morrissey, Joe Caesar and Pat Buckley i dont know of any of the rest. Alan O'Sullivan sounds familiar alright but that's probably from seeing his name on Carrick Swan team sheets.

Apart from Andrew Morrissey, Joe Caesar and Pat Buckley i dont know of any of the rest. Alan O'Sullivan sounds familiar alright but that's probably from seeing his name on Carrick Swan team sheets.
    Byron I think was on the football team for a few years - one of Galtee's main hurlers along with the Morriseys when they were Senior. That's how I know him.

Flaherty was also on the Tipp football team for a while I think. He was on the WIT football team for a while anyway, thats the last I heard of him.

Alan O' Sullivan would be more widely known as Thunder but I'd say it's only Swan teamsheets you know him from alright.

Damien O Brien is flying with Burgess this year I think (I might have the wrong man). He'd be a big enough chap, centre forward I think. Very mobile too if it's him I'm thinking of.

What way do ye think Sheedy will go on Saturday in terms of team selection?

This is the way I see Sheedy lining out:
    1-Brendan Cummins
    2-Paddy Stapleton 3-Paul Curran 4-Mikey Cahill
    5-Declan Fanning 6-Conor O' Mahony 7-Padraig Maher
    8-Brendan Maher 9-Shane McGrath
    10-Gearoid Ryan 11-Seamus Callinan 12-Lar Corbett
    13-Noel McGrath 14-Johno Brien 15-Eoin Kelly

I'm of the opinion that these players deserve another chance after the shambles down in Cork afew weeks back. O'Mahony has been one of our best performers over the past 3 years. He deserves his jersey. Paudie can regain confidence if played half back in my opinion. He'll get plenty of ball there, and there isn't as much pressure on him as would be if full back.

Personally, I'd start Timmy Hammersley instead of Johnno. Maybe start him in the corner and put Eoin full forward. The Wexford game would have been an ideal game to try Kelly on the 40 but again I can't see Sheedy doing this.

Young and O' Brien are really pushing for places as they are both flying in challenge matches. They'll be the first two in if one of the backs/midfield aren't going well.

What way do ye think Sheedy will go on Saturday in terms of team selection?

This is the way I see Sheedy lining out:
    1-Brendan Cummins
    2-Paddy Stapleton 3-Paul Curran 4-Mikey Cahill
    5-Declan Fanning 6-Conor O' Mahony 7-Padraig Maher
    8-Brendan Maher 9-Shane McGrath
    10-Gearoid Ryan 11-Seamus Callinan 12-Lar Corbett
    13-Noel McGrath 14-Johno Brien 15-Eoin Kelly

I'm of the opinion that these players deserve another chance after the shambles down in Cork afew weeks back. O'Mahony has been one of our best performers over the past 3 years. He deserves his jersey. Paudie can regain confidence if played half back in my opinion. He'll get plenty of ball there, and there isn't as much pressure on him as would be if full back.

Personally, I'd start Timmy Hammersley instead of Johnno. Maybe start him in the corner and put Eoin full forward. The Wexford game would have been an ideal game to try Kelly on the 40 but again I can't see Sheedy doing this.

Young and O' Brien are really pushing for places as they are both flying in challenge matches. They'll be the first two in if one of the backs/midfield aren't going well.

I totally agree with you on starting 15. Johno and Larry are changeable too.
    Shane Maher might feel hard done by not to start as will Hammersley and Young if thats the line up but both very good options on the bench. Johno is in the last chance saloon. If he gets cleaned out this time he should be dropped completely off the panel. Not a fan of Conor o'Brien tho. just hasn't the pace or awareness for the crafty corner forwards.

Pa Bourke and Bonnar Maher are great options on the bench imo. The great John Leahy said on the indo yesterday that Bonnar would give a forward line aggression where it badly needed. I firmly believe Bonnar can, in time, be our Eddie Brennan

I totally agree with you on starting 15. Johno and Larry are changeable too.
    Shane Maher might feel hard done by not to start as will Hammersley and Young if thats the line up but both very good options on the bench. Johno is in the last chance saloon. If he gets cleaned out this time he should be dropped completely off the panel. Not a fan of Conor o'Brien tho. just hasn't the pace or awareness for the crafty corner forwards.

Pa Bourke and Bonnar Maher are great options on the bench imo. The great John Leahy said on the indo yesterday that Bonnar would give a forward line aggression where it badly needed. I firmly believe Bonnar can, in time, be our Eddie Brennan
    I'd agree totally in relation to last chance saloon for Johno. I've more time for him than most Tipp people but his performances of late have been very poor. Hope he proves everyone wrong and has a blinder Saturday.

I thought Shane Maher would start v Cork alright. Actually forgot about him for this game.
    I like Foxy O'Brien but as you said he's not tight enough for corner back. He hurls midfield with his club a good bit so I think if he hurls or comes on Saturday it'll be in the centre of the park.

I'd love to see Pa Bourke get a chance. He's never really after getting it during the summer months with the Senior team, when he could be at his most lethal on hard ground. He was suppose to be our answer to Joe Canning and I still believe he can be a Tipperary great if given the chance. One of the most skillful on the panel, but is just lacking something at the moment. He trys to control a lot of balls he should be grabbing in his hand.

It's an interesting piece by Leahy alright. Bonner reminds me a lot of Ryan O Dywer. A horse of a man, who's maybe lacking slightly skill-wise but makes up for it with heart and determination. A bit like Dirk Kuyt at Liverpool (even though I hate using soccer examples to describe GAA).

Anyway, best of luck to the Tipp team on Saturday, I really hope Tipp get out and support them. I'm working until 3 in Kilkenny so I'll probably only get into Thurles for the second half of the match. Hopefully we're well ahead at that stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Will23

absolutely agree!... we've had 5 long weeks of introspection and analysis, wont it be just great to get a game in again!

i hope there's a good crowd, think it would really lift the team if they came out from the rooms to a big roar and lots of encouragement.. lots of sh%£e been said since cork (we're a fickle bunch eh!)

i'll be down from the smoke myself, the other lad's coming from letterkenny, and a few up from cork...

c'mon the premier!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

I will be there shouting them on and hoping for a massive improvement from the game in Cork,I won't speculate on the team for Saturday but I don't think Sheedy will change much personel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭OAOB

The independent mentions that Paul Curran is likely to miss the game with injury, any one know anything about this?

• Advertisement

He hasn't played the last 2 club matches with Mullinahone and missed a training match last weekend too so may well miss out.

Paddy Saint went down on his ankle last night so will probably miss out too unfortunately.

Advertisement