Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish army could be deployed on the streets to combat rioting.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭Palmerstown_guy

I can't believe we let the gangland murders pile up and then call the army in for some riots. Priorities?

Pathetic.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

I can't believe we let the gangland murders pile up and then call the army in for some riots. Priorities?

Pathetic.

Are you saying you'd want the army in to investigate murders?

Pathetic.

How the heck would the army stop gangland murders?

And why would there be any priority on stopping gangland murders?
    More innocent people get hurt in riots.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,371 ✭✭✭Dartz

It is one of the specific duties of the army after all, as definied by the constitution.

Aid the Civil Power, or somesuch.

It doesn't really surprise me at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭K-Ren

Did anyone else just think of pirates roaming the streets?

The Arrrrrrrrmy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,154 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Come budget day, this may well prove to be money well spent!

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

It would be one way to deter them from selling drugs to the public, so yes, I would!

Gangland violence, drugs directly and indirectly affects all of Dublin. A clamp down by the army and a good shake up would be the right thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Davexirl

At least they'll be prepared!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

So what.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,207 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I think they are expecting what happened in Iceland to happen here

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Long Onion

The Irish army deployed to quell the rioting mobs?

No tanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

We should get actually use our defense forces for something. Make them worth paying for. Deploy them in a warzone for peace keeping duties, like Finglas or Moyross or somewhere like that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    Come budget day, this may well prove to be money well spent!
    There could be more truth in that than might be in jest? :confused:

If the Army could prevent even one less gangland murder...just to reduce the number of dead bodies turning up, ...it would be beneficial to all of Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

If the Army could prevent even one less gangland murder...just to reduce the number of dead bodies turning up, ...it would be beneficial to all of Dublin.
    Anti riot equipment is fe*ck all good in fighting gangland murders.

Anti riot equipment is fe*ck all good in fighting gangland murders.

Very true. Riot gear by its very nature, is for crowd control.
    Since when have we seen large rioting people in relation to gangland murders?
    I smell a rat and someone in a government department is preparing for trouble elsewhere (I wonder where or why! :rolleyes: ) and someone is using a miserable poor excuse to stock up for the near future?
    Thats that notion again that they think we are all stupid! Sadly, they know some will fall for it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,207 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Just looking at the link again and it doesnt metion gangland any where

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭I_am_Jebus

TBH, just sounds like more stirring the sh1t.

I can't see the army being deployed and I can't see mass rioting anyway. It's not in our general nature. Unless of course you've a wardrobe full of celtic jerseys and an "Eire 32" tattoo. :rolleyes:

EDIT:

Asked if the equipment was being procured to cope with large-scale public demonstrations over government cutbacks and policies a Defence Forces spokesman said: "No. It's being bought to replace existing stocks."

He explained that the Army has a crowd control anti-riot role if needed but "since the Troubles we have had a stock of anti-riot equipment in barracks, its been that way since the Seventies".

"But, no, we have not been told to be ready for November 24," he said, referring to the the proposed national strike on that day.

So you have the above in the article and yet the opening sentence of the article is:
    The Army is gearing up to deal with possible public disorder on our streets.

More OTT retarded journalism....

If i was so inclined I'd weep for the future of this country

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Long Onion

I'm all for it, provided we get an undertaking that they will practice out in Rossport.

kearnsr wrote: »
    Just looking at the link again and it doesn't mention gangland anywhere.
    True.
    Just out of curiosity, what happens to the older riot gear? Anyone know?
    Can I buy it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Reading in the Independent the Army are to be provide with €300,000 worth of anti riot kit. This my not seem a lot but it would certainly provide enough soldiers with enough perspex shields, batons, pepper spray and stun guns. :eek:

We may be asking ourselves why the hell would we need he army out in the streets quelling riots? Answer to that could be that the Gardai themselves may be the ones that could be rioting. :D

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/8364300000-spent-on-irish-army-riot-kit-1943964.html

COULD!
    COULD! COULD! COULD!

Did you even read the article you're spouting off about?

This is replacement gear. It is replacing gear they already have. It is not a new equipping of the defence forces to batter tree huggers. It is to provide them with a defence against violent law-breakers, mostly anticipated for use (if the past is anything to go by) in peace-keeping missions overseas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

nipplenuts wrote: »
    This is replacement gear. It is replacing gear they already have. It is not a new equipping of the defence forces to batter tree huggers. It is to provide them with a defence against violent law-breakers, mostly anticipated for use (if the past is anything to go by) in peace-keeping missions overseas.

This might be of some internet to you. Its a RTE news clip showing our troops quelling rioting Albanian's in Kosovo.

Its worth a watch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭the locust

OP
    - All armies train for rioting this article is nothing unusual

- 300,000 isn't a lot of money at all. Its really not when your talking about full riot gear for the army

- The defense forces said themselves this isn't a response to public unrest over govt cutbacks. They won't be taking to the irish streets any time yet.

- The defense forces hinted that they are merely replacing their stock, as a lot of thier riot gear is 30 years old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

This might be of some internet to you. Its a RTE news clip showing our troops quelling rioting Albanian's in Kosovo.

Its worth a watch.

It is of "internet" to me ;) That's what I was reminded of when I was posting. It illustrates the need for good equipment well.

The point was, there are spending all this tax money and throwing in the army for some "riots" and sitting back and doing feck all for our bigger drug gangland problem. Sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

The money was prob already in the budget for the army and besides that it will most likely be used abroad rather then here.

And as for the gangland argument the money like I said is most likely part of the budget for the army so its not like they are taking money away from anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Heh. All this ire and no one has copped who wrote the thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭neil_purdy

It would be one way to deter them from selling drugs to the public, so yes, I would!

Gangland violence, drugs directly and indirectly affects all of Dublin. A clamp down by the army and a good shake up would be the right thing.

WHAT??????

• Registered Users Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭funk-you

You got your tin-foil had and throwing rock ready RTDH?

-Funk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

Bringing in the army to deal with gang land violence would be a very silly and over the top move, In fact it would contradict our legal system.

The army are trained to fight in wars, provide security and piece keeping, step in to keep basic services running in the event of an emergency and protect the sovereignty of the Irish state.

They are not trained to deal with civilian crime such as drugs and gang land violence, if they were brought in for such an issue it would be more likely that they would end up in a fire fight with the gangs or in the course of arresting the gang members they would impeach on there civil liberties which in turn would have the case struck out in court as a military arrest is different to a civil arrest performed by the Garda.

Advertisement