Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rotterdam Marathon 2010

Options
  • 15-10-2009 3:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭

I'm strongly considering doing the Rotterdam Marathon as my first ever marathon. I have a few questions though:

1) Are there pacemakers (the guys with the coloured balloons) in this race and for what distances? I'm a bit torn between targetting 4.00 or 4.15. Do they have a 4.15 pacemaker? I dont trust my own pacing for my first marathon so I feel that following an experienced pacemaker is a must.

2) Do we get a medal for finishing?

3) I'm fully aware that the course is very flat. I looked at last years results and was amazed that 55% of everyone doing the race went sub 4, while at last years Dublin Marathon only 39% went under the 4 hour barrier. Would a 4 hour Rotterdam marathon be equivalent to a 4.15 in Dublin? If I feel that 4.15 is my standard based on running slightly hilly courses in Ireland (Great Ireland Run, Wexford Half Marathon) then does this mean that 4.00 would be closer to my standard on a fully flat course like rotterdam.

Lots of questions sorry, but any comments would be greatly appreciated, especially from anybody who has run Rotterdam.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,146 ✭✭✭plodder

04072511 wrote: »
    I'm strongly considering doing the Rotterdam Marathon as my first ever marathon. I have a few questions though:

1) Are there pacemakers (the guys with the coloured balloons) in this race and for what distances?
    Probably for about 26 miles ... :D sorry couldn't resist that
    I'm a bit torn between targetting 4.00 or 4.15. Do they have a 4.15 pacemaker? I dont trust my own pacing for my first marathon so I feel that following an experienced pacemaker is a must.
    I've never done Rotterdam. But maybe someone else knows the answers. On pacing, I've used a home-made pacing band, pretty successfully for my marathons so far. So, if the course is flat, then there shouldn't be any major surprises if you did it that way, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

1) Are there pacemakers (the guys with the coloured balloons) in this race and for what distances? I'm a bit torn between targetting 4.00 or 4.15. Do they have a 4.15

Thanks

Medal yes.
    4.00 in rotterdam would equate to maybe 3 min more in Dublin. You have to run a marathon.
    Are pacemakers but its hard find them.
    No hassle at the start.
    Fly in sat as you can collect number sunday am. Race at 11am. I stayed in Westin. 4 star with very reasonable rates. 400 m from start.

Would i go back. If it was 9am definitely. Crowds small from 32-38km when i needed them.
    Fast course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

plodder wrote: »
    Probably for about 26 miles ... :D sorry couldn't resist that

I've never done Rotterdam. But maybe someone else knows the answers. On pacing, I've used a home-made pacing band, pretty successfully for my marathons so far. So, if the course is flat, then there shouldn't be any major surprises if you did it that way, I think.

Please explain to me what this is. I'm intrigued.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

go to http://www.marathonguide.com/ then go to training followed by running calculator then to pace wristband creator.
    type in your expected finishing time and it will print a wrist band with either mile or k splits to get you home under your goal time.

SUNGOD wrote: »
    go to http://www.marathonguide.com/ then go to training followed by running calculator then to pace wristband creator.
    type in your expected finishing time and it will print a wrist band with either mile or k splits to get you home under your goal time.

Thats very interesting indeed. Never thought of that. At the same time though it still means I'd have to judge my own pace, while if there was a lad with a 4.15 balloon I could simply follow that experienced pacemaker and not have to worry about going too fast or too slow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

you could but you should still keep track of your own progress and take responsableity for your finishing time.
    i would not train for x amount of weeks only to find that the pacer has a off day/cramp/injury and i miss out on my goal time.

Do they have Mile Markers or Km Markers on the course? Or both?

Also I've been doing some research into how to run the marathon efficiently and I noticed the Run/Walk method or walk for 1 minute at the end of every mile. It seems to make sense. What are people's thoughts on this? Has anybody tried it before?

Medal yes.
    4.00 in rotterdam would equate to maybe 3 min more in Dublin. You have to run a marathon.
    Are pacemakers but its hard find them.
    No hassle at the start.
    Fly in sat as you can collect number sunday am. Race at 11am I stayed in Westin. 4 star with very reasonable rates. 400 m from start.
    Would i go back. If it was 9am definitely. Crowds small from 32-38km when i needed them.
    Fast course.

Dunno if I'd call 199 euro reasonable :eek: Thats what is quoted for a room per night on their website.

I'd be looking for somewhere more in the area of 70 per night. Where would you recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭KentuckyPete

SUNGOD wrote: »

Nice one SUNGOD - cheers :cool:
    Now if I could only decide what time to aim for...

Dunno if I'd call 199 euro reasonable :eek: Thats what is quoted for a room per night on their website.

I'd be looking for somewhere more in the area of 70 per night. Where would you recommend.

I bookede it last year through a different website. Try that. Got 3 nights for 180 with breakfast. A steal. Good irish bar 1km from start. Expo 800m from hotel. Google it and try different links.

Its 50m from central station

• Advertisement

I bookede it last year through a different website. Try that. Got 3 nights for 180 with breakfast. A steal. Good irish bar 1km from start. Expo 800m from hotel. Google it and try different links.

Its 50m from central station

What was the name of the website you used?

I dunno where you found that deal to be honest. I cant find anything even closely approaching that price.

What was the name of the website you used?

I dunno where you found that deal to be honest. I cant find anything even closely approaching that price.

www.bookings.com

Nothing similar to it there now. Must not have realised that it was marathon weekend. Go into above website and type in central station and at least you wil get hotels around there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

3) I'm fully aware that the course is very flat. I looked at last years results and was amazed that 55% of everyone doing the race went sub 4, while at last years Dublin Marathon only 39% went under the 4 hour barrier. Would a 4 hour Rotterdam marathon be equivalent to a 4.15 in Dublin?

Thanks

Just doing a bit more research on Rotterdam and it has a cut off of 5 hours 15 mins so I would imagine thats the main reason for the deviation in average times and the fact that its so flat its going to attract the speed demons compared with the Dublin course.

Woddle wrote: »
    Just doing a bit more research on Rotterdam and it has a cut off of 5 hours 15 mins so I would imagine thats the main reason for the deviation in average times and the fact that its so flat its going to attract the speed demons compared with the Dublin course.

WOW, 5hrs 15 is a very harsh cut off point. I dont think I'll have to worry about it (I hope!!!!).

I found this on another thread, posted by village runner

I went to Rotterdam this year with a woman. She struggled around. Problems with her kn ees etc left her battle to the line in 5.28 when the cut off was 5.30. She was elated after the race and i admired her so much. I ran 3.04 wasnt near as happy as she was.

Seems like the cutoff is 5.30

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Could be, still only 15 mins, I got my info from this link
    http://www.marathonguide.com/races/racedetails.cfm?MIDD=14100411
    5th post down

Woddle wrote: »
    Could be, still only 15 mins, I got my info from this link
    http://www.marathonguide.com/races/racedetails.cfm?MIDD=14100411
    5th post down

Just checked the website and last year the last place runner did it in 5:39 gross time and just under 5.35 chip time. I wonder how strict they are about the cut off. Clearly not too strict if they let people finish after 5hrs 30.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

How's people's training coming along? I've started off pretty slowly am up to about 6miles, on the LSR, and won't get a chance to head out this weekend, but am hoping to be up to about 10miles by Christmas.

I'm following Hal Higdon's novice 1 plan, I'm hoping I'll be able to run within the cut off time. Just on that, it seems to be 5hr 15mins. :eek:

Roddy23 wrote: »
    How's people's training coming along? I've started off pretty slowly am up to about 6miles, on the LSR, and won't get a chance to head out this weekend, but am hoping to be up to about 10miles by Christmas.

I'm following Hal Higdon's novice 1 plan, I'm hoping I'll be able to run within the cut off time. Just on that, it seems to be 5hr 15mins. :eek:

Fear not, its actually 5hr 30 cut off, and if you look at last years results a few people finished slower than that so perhaps if your really close to finishing they would still let you finish anyway.

I'm a month into my training and am up to 8.4 miles LSR. Cumulative miles is at 57 miles. I'm sticking to 3 days a week as it gives me a bit of a balance. I'm 24 and want to go out on the beer with my mates so running 5-6 days a week is just not worth it (and I cant run when hungover). My 2 midweek runs are about 3-4 miles each, and my weekend LSR I'm increasing by about 1.25 - 1.5 miles a week. I'm going to up it to 9.75 miles this weekend, and hopefully be up to about 12 by Christmas all things going well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

I'm 24 and want to go out on the beer with my mates so running 5-6 days a week is just not worth it (and I cant run when hungover).

Its funny that. I'm 30 and over the past few months I've been thinking that drinking beer with my mates is just not worth it. I'm stuggling with once a week. Its knocking the stuffing out of me. Still.....when I was your age young man..... :D

Back to topic r.e training: I'm fairly happy anyway. I've been ticking over since DCM where I had a full week off afterwards. Followed by a week of 3 slow runs (19 miles total). And two weeks of half decent effort (26 miles including 2 x speed sessions and 2 x tempo runs).

Feeling good anyway and about to step it up. I'm going to set up a log like yourself 040 and others. 18 week training plan from 6th of December! Time to get serious soon. [xmas is cancelled] :o

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Bumpity, bump. Just checking in.

When are people flying out to Rotterdam, and I guess more importantly when are we all flying back? We'll need to do some investigation as to a decent hostelry for after race refreshments and probably fodder as well.

Flying to Eindhoven with Ryanair on the Saturday (10.20 flight), leaving Eindhoven on the Monday at 19.10. We'll have to get a bus from the airport to Eindhoven and then a train from there to Rotterdam but I don't think it'll be much of a problem. Worked out ~ €100 return.

Staying in the Bilderberg Parkhotel in Rotterdam for the Sat and Sun nights. €160 booked with hotels.nl

Tunguska is the same. Seperate rooms though!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

We're going out on Saturday and back on Tuesday. I haven't booked flights yet though. I think it'd be nice to have a look around Rotterdam on Monday although I'd say I'll probably be too sore to do much.

FYI, if you haven't registered yet the registration fee changes on 15th Dec to €55.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I'm flying to Schiphol on EI getting in at midday on the Saturday and then leaving from there at 5 on the Monday evening.

Flying to Eindhoven with Ryanair on the Saturday (10.20 flight), leaving Eindhoven on the Monday at 19.10. We'll have to get a bus from the airport to Eindhoven and then a train from there to Rotterdam but I don't think it'll be much of a problem. Worked out ~ €100 return.

Staying in the Bilderberg Parkhotel in Rotterdam for the Sat and Sun nights. €160 booked with hotels.nl

Tunguska is the same. Seperate rooms though!

Thats funny, I was looking at the exact same combination of flights and hotels. Havent booked yet though. Will probably do so this week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

I think it'd be nice to have a look around Rotterdam on Monday although I'd say I'll probably be too sore to do much.

Most of Rotterdam is closed on a Monday (certainly all the museums, galleries, are). Far better that you get the train to Amsterdam for the day( <hour trip), lots more to see. I know SJ and I wandered round a deserted R'dam on Monday morning, before getting the train to A'dam, the difference was amazing. Highlight of the weekend for me was the Reiksmuseum. Great burger at a canal side cafe too, checking out how elegant Dutch ladies of every age look while riding two to one bike. In fact, if I was doing the R'dam marathon again, I'd stay in A'dam and get the train that morning to the race.

Schiphol is just outside AmDam anyway.

Hmm, a day in Amsterdam sober would be a new experience for me. Might give that idea a go actually, although the Monday will most likely be just about doing as little as possible.

When did you book that? Its €209 now for 2 nights, and excludes breakfast :eek:

When did you book that? Its €209 now for 2 nights, and excludes breakfast :eek:

About 4 weeks ago. The €160 doesn't include breakfast.

• Advertisement

About 4 weeks ago. The €160 doesn't include breakfast.

Those rooms must be sold out so.

I've booked Hotel Emma, its €175 for 2 nights including breakfast and you can cancel at no cost up to 2 days before check-in which is a nice added bonus. Its only a 7 minute walk from central station so shouldnt be too much further from the Race Start.

I'm on the same Ryanair flights as yourself.

Advertisement