Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin: Sundays 6pm pickup game, all welcome!

Options
  • 12-10-2009 8:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

Another boards member and myself were wondering if there would be anyone around at the weekends who would like to play a game for fun. We're thinking one of the courts on the northside (I hear there's an outdoor court in Fairview and there's also two at St. Aidan's School on Collin's Avenue).

This isn't with a view to set up a team or anything so if you haven't played in ages but would like a game or you just want to get fit you're welcome to come. :)

Also, guys and girls welcome!!

I guess it all depends on weather but if anyone is interested they can give me a pm and maybe we can sort something.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭bugs

I'd be up for it, but its coming into winter and playing outside will probably not be for everyone.
    Don't know what condition the courts are in fairview, its been a long time since i've been there.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭scottie pippen

bugs wrote: »
    I'd be up for it, but its coming into winter and playing outside will probably not be for everyone.
    Don't know what condition the courts are in fairview, its been a long time since i've been there.

As long as it s dry it should be all good.

The court near the main road is playable.
    I’d be up for it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭shivvyban

If there was enough of us I could price the hall in DCU or if anyone had any other suggestions, I can look into them! :)

shivvyban wrote: »
    If there was enough of us I could price the hall in DCU or if anyone had any other suggestions, I can look into them! :)
    How many would you need? More than 10?

I wouldn’t mind playing 4 on 4 or 3 on 3 if not enough people are interested

How many would you need? More than 10?

I wouldn’t mind playing 4 on 4 or 3 on 3 if not enough people are interested

me neither and that would be fine for outdoor...

I think if I was to try indoor I would need guarantees of certain numbers so we wouldn't be paying a load of money for the use of an indoor court...

Also the courts in St. Aidan's are decent if that was the way we went with it. :)

So I guess if People are interested they can pm or simply post interested in this thread and I could get a rough idea of numbers and then come back to everyone with quotes.

What do you guys think?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭nialo

sounds interesting. would be a bit of craic anyways.

where is St. Aidan's School on Collin's Avenue?

where is St. Aidan's School on Collin's Avenue?

Just down from the Helix in DCU on that side. Its a secondary school.

Just down from the Helix in DCU on that side. Its a secondary school.
    cool.
    should you not be working instead of hanging out here?;)

cool.
    should you not be working instead of hanging out here?;)

I am trying to organise a game for the health of yourself, Mr. Pippen! :rolleyes: Hush now! Will be calling dcu in a few... will let you guys know the score! :)

• Advertisement

Ok, I've just gotten off the phone with DCU and if we were to rent the court for an hour on a Saturday or a Sunday it would be €40 so if we could manage to get ten people, its only €4 each!

The hall is free all this Saturday so would people prefer this option to an outdoor?

Would anyone who replied to this thread be able to get some people to come along?

ya might be able to get a few to go..

Ok, I've just gotten off the phone with DCU and if we were to rent the court for an hour on a Saturday or a Sunday it would be €40 so if we could manage to get ten people, its only €4 each!

The hall is free all this Saturday so would people prefer this option to an outdoor?

Would anyone who replied to this thread be able to get some people to come along?

saturday sounds best. might be able to get one person to go.

Bugs, I think we're going to go with an indoor court in DCU, would this be better for you?
    nialo wrote: »
    ya might be able to get a few to go..

Cool, Nialo, would you be able to get back to me today or tomorrow with definite numbers and then I'll go ahead with the booking.
    saturday sounds best. might be able to get one person to go.

So Saturday's the day (unless any objections)!

What time would you guys reckon? (so much tougher now that there's so much time free!) Afternoon, so we can get out lie-ins? :)

I guess the main thing is that I need you guys to definitely be able to make it... so I would be footing the cost for the hall or anything... If you can get back to me either today or tomorrow then I can book the court and we're good to go on Saturday! :)

Yeah i can make it, as long as it early enough, midday-ish.

Bugs, I think we're going to go with an indoor court in DCU, would this be better for you?

Cool, Nialo, would you be able to get back to me today or tomorrow with definite numbers and then I'll go ahead with the booking.

So Saturday's the day (unless any objections)!

What time would you guys reckon? (so much tougher now that there's so much time free!) Afternoon, so we can get out lie-ins? :)

I guess the main thing is that I need you guys to definitely be able to make it... so I would be footing the cost for the hall or anything... If you can get back to me either today or tomorrow then I can book the court and we're good to go on Saturday! :)

in the afternoon then. Im not too fussy to be honest.

Have to figure out how to get there from coolock. Shouldn’t be a problem though.

If there’s a lot of interest in this maybe we could make it a regular thing?
    Ps. shivvy, I finally got some tracksuit bottoms.:D

in the afternoon then. Im not too fussy to be honest.
    Have to figure out how to get there from coolock. Shouldn’t be a problem though.

If there’s a lot of interest in this maybe we could make it a regular thing?
    Ps. shivvy, I finally got some tracksuit bottoms.:D

I think the 17a goes from Coolock to Ballymun (http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/Your-Journey1/Timetables/All-Timetables/17a/ ) so that would be ideal for you! (Nice one with the tracksuit bottoms... I've got to wait until payday..damn poverty and monthly pay!)

Regular thing? Of course! I can book it every week because when I was speaking with DCU they said that its usually pretty empty on the weekends!

So will I say 12 o' clock for it? I can provisionally book it now if this time suits... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 540 ✭✭✭PiecesofEight

Sup shiv mdearyo

Yeah I'll pop down if ya get somethin set up cept wkends i'm stuck in work 9-6 sat and rehearsal 2-5 sunday so dont leave a whole lot of time lol if its in the evening sat from 6 on wards I'm all game or early morning sunday but doubt people would be as keen on that, outside inside that dont matter has been awhile so need to get into the run of things myself

Ok numbers falling for the saturday! How would Sunday evening sound to people??

• Advertisement

I think the 17a goes from Coolock to Ballymun (http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/Your-Journey1/Timetables/All-Timetables/17a/ ) so that would be ideal for you! (Nice one with the tracksuit bottoms... I've got to wait until payday..damn poverty and monthly pay!)

Regular thing? Of course! I can book it every week because when I was speaking with DCU they said that its usually pretty empty on the weekends!

So will I say 12 o' clock for it? I can provisionally book it now if this time suits... :)

12 is good for me

poverty....Im on the breadline! trackies were only €6. Wasted my money on Jordan shorts & a new ball. that’s way I’m still sending web texts.

Posted this on another forum, so hopefully we will get a a good number of people

I would say for a good game we need about 8 people... if we can egt 8 DEFINITE people for a time over the weekend, I'll book... Six would be ok too but might be a bit hard going for a full court game.

Just quote this in/out list for me with your name included...

Shivvyban - IN - for anytime over the weekend
    Nialo -
    Scottie Pippen -
    Bugs -
    PiecesofEight -

And maybe include if you have people you can definitely bring! Sorry about this guys, just want to make sure we can get a good game and not pay too much for it. :o

I’m free all Saturday for it.

But if we can’t get more than 6 - Might as well play outdoors for free.

sunday only for me.. and might turn up with company.. still waiting to hear.

Available saturday and later in the day sunday. Not around this sunday though.

Nialo - Sunday
    Scottie Pippen -All day Saturday
    Bugs - Saturday and late sunday
    PiecesofEight - Saturday evening & Sunday Morning

Any word from friends who'd be interested? This week is looking like a sunday (feedback?)... Either way when we do meet up we can organise something more concrete for future weeks...

Won’t be able to play Sunday have plans from a while back, but let me know what’s happening,
    may be able to play on other Sundays

cheers
    Scottie

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Focalbhach

Hey,

I'm going to be away for the next few weekends unfortunately, but if this is still going in November I'd be keen on joining up for a game or two. It's easy enough for me to get to either Collins Ave. or Fairview, and I'm happy indoors or out.

I realise this isn't much use to you at the moment, but it's one more body for future lists.

L.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Nialo - Sunday
    Scottie Pippen -All day Saturday
    Bugs - Saturday and late sunday
    PiecesofEight - Saturday evening & Sunday Morning
    lafortezza - Saturday or Sunday, after midday
    Any word from friends who'd be interested? This week is looking like a sunday (feedback?)... Either way when we do meet up we can organise something more concrete for future weeks...
    Is this for next Sat/Sun the 17th/18th? I'd love to play a bit, especially somewhere on the northside. Count me in for either Sat or Sun, after 12 is good for me.
    I'm hoping the standard won't be too good btw :)
    I played in college so I'm not terrible, but the fitness at the moment is ridiculously bad.

• Advertisement

Leto wrote: »
    Hey,

I'm going to be away for the next few weekends unfortunately, but if this is still going in November I'd be keen on joining up for a game or two. It's easy enough for me to get to either Collins Ave. or Fairview, and I'm happy indoors or out.

I realise this isn't much use to you at the moment, but it's one more body for future lists.

L.

Thanks Leto! It definitely is of use! Now at least I know people are looking for something ongoing and maybe this weekend I can work out something with the DCU sports complex.
    lafortezza wrote: »
    Is this for next Sat/Sun the 17th/18th? I'd love to play a bit, especially somewhere on the northside. Count me in for either Sat or Sun, after 12 is good for me.
    I'm hoping the standard won't be too good btw :)
    I played in college so I'm not terrible, but the fitness at the moment is ridiculously bad.

Trust me lafortezza, I'm crap so you'll be running rings around me! I'm in it for the fitness as well so I know how you feel on that one! :)

Looks like we got us a game and I'm so happy you guys are looking for something continuous! :)

Its looking like the majority are for Sunday... Scottie is there anyway you could make it in the evening of the Sunday, possibly 5 or 6?

It looks like we're getting a good number. Will double check availability for Sunday!

Advertisement