Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taxi Industry in chaos

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭TaxiManMartin

Hello Jack, can you point out these posts to me and I will delete them, the admin and mods do our best to keep on top of this type of post and apologise if something we missed offended you.

Things are pretty bad in the Taxi business at present and so tempers run high, with blame being cast in all directions.

Unless, like taximanmartin you have another job and only work the busiest nights, it is difficult to make ends meet in this business,

(no need to tell me, I am trying to find a full time job... I wish to quit the business)

Please try and refrain from casting all 27,500 taxi drivers into one "clan", we are all different, with differing views and opinions and different ideas about how to make it better.

The forum is a vehicle for airing those views and all of those views are welcome.

If taximanmartin was indeed banned, then I can assure you it was merited.

I love the way you can just delete the posts that show some drivers up for what they are. Next all the posts telling people to quit letting what they really make out of the bag will be gone. Oh wait .... some of them already were deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 899 ✭✭✭oisindoyle

daveirl wrote: »

Many many are trying to get out believe me .As for standards of cars ,yes SOME cars leave a lot to be desired ,BUT that was predicted before deregulation that car standards would drop ....With drivers earning little is it any wonder they cannot afford a new car

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭samsham

I love the way you can just delete the posts that show some drivers up for what they are. Next all the posts telling people to quit letting what they really make out of the bag will be gone. Oh wait .... some of them already were deleted.

I think if you go to any taxi rank and ask drivers not from Ireland
    what their problems they have come across regards racist behavior.
    You will find its not taxi drivers rather customers who firstly wont
    travel with them and secondly drunks hurling racist abuse at them.
    Of course there are racist taxi drivers, read a story about Garda using
    racist comments against a Romanian boy, A woman fired from Dunnes
    for using racist language to a supervisor. Even here anyone with a PSV license seems to be deemed a race of their own and scorned and viewed
    with contempt. Hey! that's society. Just Like the greater populations
    relationship with travelers. Need I go on.. We voted a few years back
    to end automatic right of Irish children parents to stay in our country.
    That's racism to a disgusting degree and that was the majority of our population. As for abusing the regulator, name one thing she has
    achieved. Deregulation was here before her. She has achieved nothing.
    you can still get a license with a criminal record. Cars have to be nine years old. wow! pick one up for a grand. Driver training. Bring home a CD
    and answer some questions and a proposal to set the inside temperature
    of a Taxi at 20 degrees. Seriously and she gets 140k for that. And her travel expense per mile is more that a Taxi meter gets per mile. Fantastic.

• Advertisement

oisindoyle wrote: »
    Many many are trying to get out believe me .As for standards of cars ,yes SOME cars leave a lot to be desired ,BUT that was predicted before deregulation that car standards would drop ....With drivers earning little is it any wonder they cannot afford a new car

Ehm were you in Ireland before deregulation. The standard was as bad. If not worse than it is now.

Yet another driver thinking the general public are stupid. They have memories. Can we stop this treating them like they are thick. It does us no good at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭roy123456789

That's called moderating!
    if posts are racist or defamatory they're deleted, sometimes it takes a while....there is a certain amount of leeway on posts slagging off "leaders" union leaders / regulator / minister / enforcers etc .....IMO these people set themselves up for this type of post

That's a tad simplistic! Where do they go?
    If we aren't earning a decent wage, how can you expect decent taxis?
    You're getting the Taxi service the system deserves..........poor

It's a simple equation:
    Ever decreasing income = Ever decreasing standards

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

It's a simple equation:
    Ever decreasing income = Ever decreasing standards

I have to say I've seen little difference in the quality of vehicles used and drivers post regulation then pre regulation. The only difference being the number available, which is great for the consumer.

bk wrote: »
    I have to say I've seen little difference in the quality of vehicles used and drivers post regulation then pre regulation. The only difference being the number available, which is great for the consumer.

Are you saying it was bad then and is still bad, or are you saying the quality is good?

I'd agree the cars are the same as they were 10 years ago...but now they're ten years older!

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I don't agree with the whole "The industry will work itself out, equilibrium blah blah blah" argument. The fact of the matter is that these guys are self employed and generally do not have many (if any) qualifications. With the job market the way it is, there is nowhere for them to go. I'm not a taxi driver myself but I understand that it is near impossible to get social welfare if you are self employed, so many people are trapped in the industry, barely getting by. I think something needs to be done to help people get out of the game.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Are you saying it was bad then and is still bad, or are you saying the quality is good?

I'd agree the cars are the same as they were 10 years ago...but now they're ten years older!

It was bad back then (mostly crappy Corollas) and it is still as bad now.

Not that simple self employed people are not allowed to pay a full PRSI stamp. So trying to get on social welfare won't be easy. Secondly even if you got on welfare you made yourself redundant so you will have to wait a while for money. You have no mortgage protection, no car payment protection. new guys entering the market are saddled with the loan for the license and finance on the car, so what can they do, only wait and hope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I can only speak for Dublin.

Your not speaking for Dublin, in fact I think your speaking out of your arse tbh.

In the few years running up to my retirement from the Defence Forces I drove a taxi part time, testing the water's so to speak.

About five year's ago I made very good money, easily a grand a week. Then two years ago when retirement seemed a good idea I went to the bank manager asking about loans to buy a new car and told her I planned on entering the market as a full time taxi driver - she almost laughed in my face.

In the defence forces we can take up to 90 days pre-retirement leave, plus all your annual, so I took four months off and drove my arse off.

On a good day I made anything from €10-€20 an hour (before overheads) and had no real troubles getting onto ranks etc, but the winds of change were sweeping through the country and these figures began to drop rapidly.

I didn't take retirement, but continued to work PT, my shift in the army allowed me to work an almost full time hours.

In the months before I decided I'd get out of the business entirely my takings were down to between earning nothing for hours at a time to maybe €5 - €7 per hour. I couldn't afford to have my car professional serviced, so I downloaded the instructions to do it myself.

When I brought my receipts etc to my accountant he looked at me like I was a lunatic, and when taking depreciation of my car, my diesel and other overheads into account I was running at a loss.

How YOUR making more money than your OH who works fulltime as a funds administrator in the IFSC beats the sh*t out of me.

Of course, I've met your type before. Most taxi driver's know you, you seldom make less than €200- a day, and you won't go home unless you earn over €400 on Friday & Saturday nights - you can woe us with tales of all the birds you could have had, and all the arseholes you've had to beat up for the €10 fare they refused to pay.

You live in a dream world, but your content with your little imaginings. However, its dangerous. Because lads are leaving full time jobs thinking they can make a good living when they listen to people like you.

Plus junkie think taxi driver's are an easy touch and robbing just one will bring 'em a working mans weekly wage on a Saturday night.

Get real.

Taxi driver's are now making minimum (and below) wage, and thats before overheads are taken out.

The best thing I done was get out of that business, it sucks big time.

Yea, the public talk through their hole when they express ignorant opinion on taxi drivers - but by jesus its nothing like the sh*t I've heard from driver's themselves.

Thanks for a balanced insight into the Dublin industry. I sold my plate also. Was going to buy a minibus and work in a rural area near my home. Only good at the weekend but better than the city at the moment. I am out of the country now so waiting to return before deciding if I will go ahead. But daily things seem to get worse. I too cant understand this bias against drivers and being blaimed for pre deregulation problems when in fact most drivers these days were in school or other work. We certainly did not have the 95,000 punts to pay for a plate back then. Have to agree some of the drivers are the hungriest miserable bastards I ever met. But then there just a reflection of Irish society

http://taxieire.lefora.com

the picture on the heading of this site was taking in Waterford, tells its own story

Your not speaking for Dublin, in fact I think your speaking out of your arse tbh.

In the few years running up to my retirement from the Defence Forces I drove a taxi part time, testing the water's so to speak.

About five year's ago I made very good money, easily a grand a week. Then two years ago when retirement seemed a good idea I went to the bank manager asking about loans to buy a new car and told her I planned on entering the market as a full time taxi driver - she almost laughed in my face.

In the defence forces we can take up to 90 days pre-retirement leave, plus all your annual, so I took four months off and drove my arse off.

On a good day I made anything from €10-€20 an hour (before overheads) and had no real troubles getting onto ranks etc, but the winds of change were sweeping through the country and these figures began to drop rapidly.

I didn't take retirement, but continued to work PT, my shift in the army allowed me to work an almost full time hours.

In the months before I decided I'd get out of the business entirely my takings were down to between earning nothing for hours at a time to maybe €5 - €7 per hour. I couldn't afford to have my car professional serviced, so I downloaded the instructions to do it myself.

When I brought my receipts etc to my accountant he looked at me like I was a lunatic, and when taking depreciation of my car, my diesel and other overheads into account I was running at a loss.

How YOUR making more money than your OH who works fulltime as a funds administrator in the IFSC beats the sh*t out of me.

Of course, I've met your type before. Most taxi driver's know you, you seldom make less than €200- a day, and you won't go home unless you earn over €400 on Friday & Saturday nights - you can woe us with tales of all the birds you could have had, and all the arseholes you've had to beat up for the €10 fare they refused to pay.

You live in a dream world, but your content with your little imaginings. However, its dangerous. Because lads are leaving full time jobs thinking they can make a good living when they listen to people like you.

Plus junkie think taxi driver's are an easy touch and robbing just one will bring 'em a working mans weekly wage on a Saturday night.

Get real.

Taxi driver's are now making minimum (and below) wage, and thats before overheads are taken out.

The best thing I done was get out of that business, it sucks big time.

Yea, the public talk through their hole when they express ignorant opinion on taxi drivers - but by jesus its nothing like the sh*t I've heard from driver's themselves.

If you were running at a loss and didnt know it you are not the brightest in the business department are you? Thats a common problem in the taxi business. If you have some business smarts you will make money. You cannot expect to make money being self employed unless you know how to run your business eg, you make sure you improve you're profit by analyzing why you are not making money and adapt. Any other self-employed person knows this too.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭the boss of me

If you were running at a loss and didnt know it you are not the brightest in the business department are you? Thats a common problem in the taxi business. If you have some business smarts you will make money. You cannot expect to make money being self employed unless you know how to run your business eg, you make sure you improve you're profit by analyzing why you are not making money and adapt. Any other self-employed person knows this too.

Waffle,waffle waffle.... I worked as a hackney and taxi from 1998 to 2008 when I packed it in and sold up. The work just isn't there anymore. I made a decent wage for a long time but in recent times with the downturn in the economy, the work is drying up and the amount of people looking for a share of that work, is increasing.

As for having the business smarts, it's a taxi , it aint that hard, switch on your roof sign, affiliate to a good radio company and off you go.You don't need a masters in business studies to figure out where the work is, just like you don't need to be Steven Hawking to realise that you are talking a load of rubbish.

Waffle,waffle waffle.... I worked as a hackney and taxi from 1998 to 2008 when I packed it in and sold up. The work just isn't there anymore. I made a decent wage for a long time but in recent times with the downturn in the economy, the work is drying up and the amount of people looking for a share of that work, is increasing.

As for having the business smarts, it's a taxi , it aint that hard, switch on your roof sign, affiliate to a good radio company and off you go.You don't need a masters in business studies to figure out where the work is, just like you don't need to be Steven Hawking to realise that you are talking a load of rubbish.

No, you dont need a masters in business studies, just a bit of common sense. tbh, A 10 year old would be able to spot a loss making venture without having to be told by someone else.
    Obviously its hard for you, if you dont even know when you are running a loss until someone else tells you. Thats a HUGE mistake. Not the way to run a business. Perhaps you shouldnt be self employed at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭topdost

Ok guys

read this whole post

A few simple questions

If taxi is so bad , why is it so much .?

If work is ot there why are so many people o taxi and why are so many applying?

And finally there is a ew test system from 1st of July , will that stop or reduce the umber of ew etrant?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Taxipete29

No, you dont need a masters in business studies, just a bit of common sense. tbh, A 10 year old would be able to spot a loss making venture without having to be told by someone else.
    Obviously its hard for you, if you dont even know when you are running a loss until someone else tells you. Thats a HUGE mistake. Not the way to run a business. Perhaps you shouldnt be self employed at all.

Very few drivers I know take depreciation of their car into account when they are looking at how their business is doing. This usually only comes up when up when they see the accountant. Also i dont know many 10 year olds who could explain depreciation of assets

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Ok Mr 'I've got brains to burn' instead of waffling on here with your inflated tales of woe (earning more than your funds admin partner as a part timer was a good one and likely to catch the non-taxi driver out). Tell us just how YOU did it and no one else seem's to know the formula..

In fact don't, audition for Bill Cullen's 'The Apprentice' because YOUR the type of person Bill needs.

I done what the other's here failed to do, I called you out on a spoof & all you can do is try to give the impression your looking down your nose at us and get snotty about it.

As I said earlier, and I'll repeat myself - your playing a dangerous game with your imagination. Your giving the impression to people that there's still a good living to be made by driving a taxi, so those people will consider giving up a job to enter the market or if they're unfortunet enough that they're facing redundancy instead of upskilling and trying to enter a new career path they'll waste their package on buying into the taxi business (because Mr 'I know all about business' you will know that no bank manager in the last two years would/will give a loan on a taxi).

Then people who are ignorant of the business, and who like to rant about it here on Boards.ie brow beat the full time lads here with the rubbish they've heard from you and your ilk and that further compounds the misery and fustration these full time taxi drivers who have to listen from these people day in, day out.

And worse of all are the junkies & drunks.

Because the taxi industry is in such dire straits driver's are taking risk's they once never took, like junkies & drunks (and other undesirables) - now the lads would cut each other's throat to get a junkie or any of our cities/countries undesirables into their cab - and thats a HUGE risk as well you should know, but a risk driver's have to take after "analyzing" their business and realising that its gone down the sh*tter but the family still have to be fed.

Sorry if it appear's that I've gone off on a rant, I usually ignore taxi talk & threads now because I'm no longer part of that failed industry but I find it infuriating when I read dangerous waffle from drivers.

Ok Mr 'I've got brains to burn' instead of waffling on here with your inflated tales of woe (earning more than your funds admin partner as a part timer was a good one and likely to catch the non-taxi driver out). Tell us just how YOU did it and no one else seem's to know the formula..

In fact don't, audition for Bill Cullen's 'The Apprentice' because YOUR the type of person Bill needs.

I done what the other's here failed to do, I called you out on a spoof & all you can do is try to give the impression your looking down your nose at us and get snotty about it.

As I said earlier, and I'll repeat myself - your playing a dangerous game with your imagination. Your giving the impression to people that there's still a good living to be made by driving a taxi, so those people will consider giving up a job to enter the market or if they're unfortunet enough that they're facing redundancy instead of upskilling and trying to enter a new career path they'll waste their package on buying into the taxi business (because Mr 'I know all about business' you will know that no bank manager in the last two years would/will give a loan on a taxi).

Then people who are ignorant of the business, and who like to rant about it here on Boards.ie brow beat the full time lads here with the rubbish they've heard from you and your ilk and that further compounds the misery and fustration these full time taxi drivers who have to listen from these people day in, day out.

And worse of all are the junkies & drunks.

Because the taxi industry is in such dire straits driver's are taking risk's they once never took, like junkies & drunks (and other undesirables) - now the lads would cut each other's throat to get a junkie or any of our cities/countries undesirables into their cab - and thats a HUGE risk as well you should know, but a risk driver's have to take after "analyzing" their business and realising that its gone down the sh*tter but the family still have to be fed.

Sorry if it appear's that I've gone off on a rant, I usually ignore taxi talk & threads now because I'm no longer part of that failed industry but I find it infuriating when I read dangerous waffle from drivers.

Do you not think someone who cant tell if they are making a loss til someone else points it out for him should be doing something else that doesnt involve running their own buisiness.

I already told you how we did it, if you care to read. It wasnt hard to be honest. We still look for ways to improve our takings, and find more every day. Its called being proactive. Sitting on your hole complaining that the world is treating them badly wont help anyone.

If you take a junkie or drunk who is going to puke all over your car then you deserve what you get.
    Put the effort in so you dont have to take them and can get enough business elsewhere.

And sticking to these tales about drivers being on the breadline does not fool ordinary people. It is just not going to work. People know exactly what the story is and can see through the lies.

Really, if anyone is on the breadline, they are not fit to run their own business and need to get another job where they are not on the breadline. Even the dole would be better if they are that bad at their jobs. Look up some of the threads on here about how much people take from social welfare. sometimes €20k to €30k depending on circumstances.

And yes, people who are self employed can go on the dole.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/social-welfare/social-welfare-payments/unemployed-people/self-employed-and-unemployment

So why, if you cant make any money in the taxi business dont people give up the taxi and go on the dole.
    Its because either they are actually making money and pretending they re not and putting on the poor mouth for the sake of the public, or that they are just too dumb to figure out that making a loss is not viable and they would be better off on the dole.

Taxipete29 wrote: »
    Very few drivers I know take depreciation of their car into account when they are looking at how their business is doing. This usually only comes up when up when they see the accountant. Also i dont know many 10 year olds who could explain depreciation of assets

tbh, its a bit of a biggie to miss taking depreciation of a car into account. They shouldnt be in the business if they cant even do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

I already told you how we did it, if you care to read. It wasnt hard to be honest. We still look for ways to improve our takings, and find more every day. Its called being proactive. Sitting on your hole complaining that the world is treating them badly wont help anyone.

Having re-read your posts, I still can't see where you "told" us how you do it so for our benefit, why don't you repeat it again? The circa 15,000 Dublin taxi drivers who work Dublin eagerly await your answer as to how we can get this €600 on a Saturday night off about 1 million skint punters.

tbh, its a bit of a biggie to miss taking depreciation of a car into account. They shouldnt be in the business if they cant even do that.

While I'm thinking, you are up very early for a man who works a ten hour shift on a Saturday;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Taxipete29

Re-read my post. I didnt say they miss it I said they dont take it into account because how much your car goes down in value has very little to do with how you conduct your business day to day.

Hamndegger wrote: »
    Having re-read your posts, I still can't see where you "told" us how you do it so for our benefit, why don't you repeat it again?

Obviously you havent read anything. But i'll quote it just for you.
    For an example of what drivers can do to help themselves instead of complaining heres what we do.

My dad and brother are taxi drivers too. We also have 5 others in on our little club.
    Basically we have business cards printed, offering 20% off. Each of us gives these cards out. We pay between us for a flyer drop every few months too. We've got our own radios. We all go around picking up off the streets too.
    The number on the card is always diverted to someones phone who is working at the time.
    Whenever we get a call we pick up the radio and see who is free and is closest and they take the job.

There are a couple of other things we do too to get the jobs too that im not going to go into here as it might upset some other drivers.

Basically we're all busy nearly all the time we're working.

This came about as a result of us getting together and coming up with a system where we could maximize our cars. Not from sitting in the rank complaining and lying about how we are on the breadline and omitting to say we can write off expenses against tax (if we do pay the tax :) ).

Hamndegger wrote: »
    While I'm thinking, you are up very early for a man who works a ten hour shift on a Saturday;)

You think 9:20am is early? :eek:
    I wouldnt be the first person ever to get up early then, would i. I dont sleep all day at weekends. Sorry to disappoint you.
    And if i was out and about, i could still post here. iPhone or logmein or both together will do it for you.

Taxipete29 wrote: »
    Re-read my post. I didnt say they miss it I said they dont take it into account because how much your car goes down in value has very little to do with how you conduct your business day to day.

Sorry, but its a fundamental part of being self employed. It needs to be taken into account. Ignore it at your peril.

You really are grasping at straws guys.
    Saying things like ...

9:20am is too early to be getting up.....
    Not taking depreciation of your car into account is not the same a missing a fundamental part of being self employed...
    That you cant see where i posted something only a few pages ago.....

By the way - any response to this ?
    And sticking to these tales about drivers being on the breadline does not fool ordinary people. It is just not going to work. People know exactly what the story is and can see through the lies.

Really, if anyone is on the breadline, they are not fit to run their own business and need to get another job where they are not on the breadline. Even the dole would be better if they are that bad at their jobs. Look up some of the threads on here about how much people take from social welfare. sometimes €20k to €30k depending on circumstances.

And yes, people who are self employed can go on the dole.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/social-welfare/social-welfare-payments/unemployed-people/self-employed-and-unemployment

So why, if you cant make any money in the taxi business dont people give up the taxi and go on the dole.
    Its because either they are actually making money and pretending they re not and putting on the poor mouth for the sake of the public, or that they are just too dumb to figure out that making a loss is not viable and they would be better off on the dole.

• Advertisement

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=60393932&postcount=52

Not bad but at €4+ for the first Km and then 1.35+ per km after that you should be making more if you are flat out for 10 hours on a Saturday. Do you only drive slowly or something.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=60383216&postcount=34

For an example of what drivers can do to help themselves instead of complaining heres what we do.

My dad and brother are taxi drivers too. We also have 5 others in on our little club.
    Basically we have business cards printed, offering 20% off. Each of us gives these cards out. We pay between us for a flyer drop every few months too. We've got our own radios. We all go around picking up off the streets too.
    The number on the card is always diverted to someones phone who is working at the time.
    Whenever we get a call we pick up the radio and see who is free and is closest and they take the job.

So in one post you tell us you are earning a regular €60 per hour and in another you tell us you knock off 20% off fares that you and your family make from doing a leaflet drop, business cars and with a radio in each car. A radio system between a mere 7 drivers; either you are earning €70+ an hour and cutting fares down or you are earning €60 less this 20%. €.135 times 60 minutes is 81 so the scope to earn this €60 per hour is nigh impossible (most jobs don't go onto rate B), allowing for some empty car time to get from these jobs your leaflets may produce for you. Your figures do not add up and you know it.

I am with a radio company that has about 500 drivers, radio and media adverts, leaflet drops to over 100,000 homes a year, business accounts with hospitals, government department, banks, blue chip companies, legal firms, accountants, charities, cash account to hotels, pubs, guest houses, cafes, shopping centres and more and with a 20% discount and the brains in the base (And indeed the rival firms) are sure as hell not seeing close to this business you claim to be able to cover with a mere seven drivers. If they were, they'd not need to offer huge discounts

In short, you are a liar, Martin and you know it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement