Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pete Doherty on the Late Late Show

Options
  • 06-02-2009 11:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭

Pete Doherty was just on the late late show. Although I'm not a Libertines or Babyshambles fan.
    I was embarrassed at the poor questions that were asked by Pat.
    There was one about Kate Moss and then about nine about drugs .. How can you be a role model? Why are you doing this? Your poor family etc
    Short from pulling pete into the conversation, he leaned back in his chair at one point looking bored and pulled his hat down. At the end of the interview Pete said something along the lines of "where do I go to collect my money" and then said he was joking, no he bloody wasn't it was pathetic.

The researchers should be shot, I could have done a better job, really could they not sit down with a biography for four hours in a coffee shop rather than four minutes with the daily star? How much are these researchers being paid?

At one point Pete said to Pat I bet you can't name one of my songs to which Pat blurbled "probably not" Jonathan Ross whenever he has a musician on always mentions a song he's heard or that he's listened to their recent album and talks about a song he liked briefly. Not Pat, no he's too good for that. A researcher could have told Pat the name of the most recent album or something surely...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

People are gonna say 'He's all about drugs and thats what he is famous for' but I'm not buying that. First off, I don't like Pete Doherty's music so I'm not the 'I'm a massive fan and don't say anything about Pete' type. The fact is, stories of musicians and their drug habits ARE boring. I mean, tons of musicians have ruined their lives with drugs.....but its old news. Kenny just turned it into a wasted opportunity for an interesting interview. Plank.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

I only saw a few mins of this but will be watching the repeat. I'm a big Pete fan and from what i've heard so far this is just another reason to despise Pat Kenny and RTE. Remember we the tax payer pay for his 600k a year salary and he could not tell you one thing about one of his guests bar he uses drugs and went out with Kate Moss. And of course the obligatory - how can we nationalise the person being interviewed. From the little i saw of this i'm embarassed by it. I dread to watch the full thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Samurai

yeah its crazy what pat earns considering the average joe could do a far better job

• Closed Accounts Posts: 653 ✭✭✭CSC

I liked the song Pete sang "The last of the English roses".

Bugger, i didn't see him singing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Didn't see it, but I can imagine it being car crash TV. Might watch the repeat if I catch it.
    I've no particular like or dislike for Pete Doherty and I only know a few Libertines/Babyshambles song but he is a very interesting character. I would have tuned in if I thought he'd get a half decent interview.
    lordgoat wrote: »
    I'm a big Pete fan and from what i've heard so far this is just another reason to despise Pat Kenny and RTE. Remember we the tax payer pay for his 600k a year salary and he could not tell you one thing about one of his guests bar he uses drugs and went out with Kate Moss.

His salary, depressingly, is even higher than that. :(
    He gets €849139 a year (according to the Independent) and even with a proposed 10% paycut he'll still be getting over 750k!
    I mean he seems like a nice enough guy (unless you squabble with him over land) but he has no charisma and is hopeless at interviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Qprmeath

I thought Pat asked the hard questions. On a show like The Late Late with a mixed audience there was no point in getting in to a discussion of Petes music. Jonathan Ross just maks jokes with his guests on a show which is never live. Doherty is a complex character, one I doubt will ever be called normal. I dont think his demons are ever far away. He summed up his own problems at the end by asking Pat did he know any of his songs? We should all know his music but because of all the other stuff it never gets a mention. At least Pete has the good sense to be a Qpr fan thugh!

Qprmeath wrote: »
    I thought Pat asked the hard questions. On a show like The Late Late with a mixed audience there was no point in getting in to a discussion of Petes music. Jonathan Ross just maks jokes with his guests on a show which is never live. Doherty is a complex character, one I doubt will ever be called normal. I dont think his demons are ever far away. He summed up his own problems at the end by asking Pat did he know any of his songs? We should all know his music but because of all the other stuff it never gets a mention. At least Pete has the good sense to be a Qpr fan thugh!

Hard questions? Drugs and Kate Moss? Boring mundane and at least 2 years old. From what i've watched and i haven't seen it all there was not one question about anything recent or new. And the way he asked Kenny about if he knew any of his songs was not summing up his problems it was - you know nothing about me, are a complete tool and i don't want to talk to you anymore. Anyone could see that. The interview Doherty did with Ross a while back was much more revealing and the questions were well thought out and hard hitting.

Oh and the fact Kenny earns even more money than i previously thought has ruined my saturday morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 graveshiftd

I watched the interview last night and well thats what it was, an interview. I mean you have to put it into context, Pat Kenny doesn't do funny, jovial interviews like Jonathan Ross and he did ask some hard and uncomfortable questions, but what other way was he ever going to do it? Would you prefer had he acted like he knew his music and and serenaded him with questions like "do you see yourself as the 21 century Dylan?". That would have been far more cringe inducing stuff, we have all seen it before, Pat trying to be jokey, its like seeing your mother having 3 sherries and getting up dancing at a wedding, hard to watch, oh the mental scars!
    So, in summary, I don't think we should chastise Pat for doing what he is able to do because the alternative would be much worse.

So, in summary, I don't think we should chastise Pat for doing what he is able to do because the alternative would be much worse.

What exactly are you claiming he is able to do? Interview people really badly? Yes he can do that. To me, having no knowledge of a guest on your tv show shows nothing but contempt and arrogance. The idea of an interview is to gain an insight into the person being interviewed no? I have never seen him achieve this with any of his guests, and this was particularly obvious last night.

While he night not be everyone cup of tea either Ryan Tubridy actually asks decent questions and trys to engage his guests. The exact opposite is true of G Ryan. THe man is a one man side show where all he cares about is his own image.

The best person on irish tv is John Kelly, the view is always well researched and presented and should get alot more credit than it currently does.

• Advertisement

And the hard questions he asked? What about his drug addiction and family, please he's answered these countless times in the past, i don't think there was anything hardhitting about them. Water off a duck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 FionnBaguh

Seriously, that interview was the most embarrassing thing I've ever seen on tv. Pat Kenny really embraced the, Pete is a heroin addict and has ruined his life and I'm gonna make him realize it role. WTF is that guys problem? All the drug and Kate Moss questions are completely 2-3years ago. Get over it.

It was suggested that the late late is inappropriate to hae a guest like Pete Doherty. I disagree. If the late late is to have any future, it will get guests like Pete on, and get the younger generations tuning in, not just the aul ones who watch merely by habit and have nothing better to do.

Pat Kenny should really get the sack. He's desperate. I've seen too many interviews he's done that were poorly researched, boring and plain embarrassing. In comparisonI watched the interview Gay Byrne did with Noel Gallagher in 1994. That was a great interview, at a time when Oasis were really using drugs and telling everyone, there was maybe one drug question, Gay really got into and so did Noel, it was like a watching a real heart to heart conversation. The interview Pat did with Liam Gallagher in 2003, was pretty awful aswell, Pat didnt even realize when he was joking or being sarcastic.

Pat is a joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 orangewolf

I too was embarrased by Pat Kenny's lack of preperation for the Pete Doherty interview. The Late Late Show's producers show the same contempt for the Irish population by giving Eoghan Harris a soap box. "Sure we've never had it so good" what nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 graveshiftd

What exactly are you claiming he is able to do? Interview people really badly? Yes he can do that. To me, having no knowledge of a guest on your tv show shows nothing but contempt and arrogance. The idea of an interview is to gain an insight into the person being interviewed no? I have never seen him achieve this with any of his guests, and this was particularly obvious last night.

While he night not be everyone cup of tea either Ryan Tubridy actually asks decent questions and trys to engage his guests. The exact opposite is true of G Ryan. THe man is a one man side show where all he cares about is his own image.

The best person on irish tv is John Kelly, the view is always well researched and presented and should get alot more credit than it currently does.

I see your point but my arguement was that was the only outcome that was ever going to come out of that interview, thats Pat. He does it week in week out and im not arguing the success of his interview last night but that he is a capable seroius interviewer and thats where he directed the interview, to his strengths.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 mrmldy

I see your point but my arguement was that was the only outcome that was ever going to come out of that interview, thats Pat. He does it week in week out and im not arguing the success of his interview last night but that he is a capable seroius interviewer and thats where he directed the interview, to his strengths.

I agree. Pat isnt worth €800,000, but he has his strengths like talking to Eamonn Dunphy and Co. later on ( he's more comfortable with that topic and it shows, its more like his radio show). He's suited to interviewing current affairs people not "celebrities" like pete doherty, That more Ryan Tubridys area. He had no interest in him and it shows.He like most people who watched the late late dont know much else about him other than kate moss and drugs, if anything at all (not saying this excuses him for lazy interviewing).

And what was with the awful camera man for pete doherty. the zoom out button must have been broken. It was sooo annoying, esp when he was singing, it was just a camera full of hat cos he kept moving!!

So you are saying he is capable of doing a good interview but it depends on his guest? To me that's a kop out. It's just pure laziness and arrogance of the highest order. In my opinion he has zero personality and can not relate to the majority of his guests. Toy Show anyone? At least every episode i've seen of the late late this has happened with one of the guests.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Moved from Alternative & Indie.
    TV mods, could this be merged with the existing Late Late Show/Pete Doherty thread?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 mrmldy

So you are saying he is capable of doing a good interview but it depends on his guest? To me that's a kop out. It's just pure laziness and arrogance of the highest order. In my opinion he has zero personality and can not relate to the majority of his guests. Toy Show anyone? At least every episode i've seen of the late late this has happened with one of the guests.

yeah thats what I'm saying. I'm not saying thats a good thing. of course its not, I agree with you, but they arent going to fire him, he;s not going to leave and no ones gonna make him change. Its already been 10 years. Personally I prefer ryan tubridy for interviewing even tho he has his flaws too.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I love how shocked Pat was that Pete Doherty has a school education. You did your A-Levels?! You were pretty clever but you still ended up on drugs, wow! (you know because over here only illiterate wasters end up with a drug problem..)
    Oh Pat.. :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I'm a big Pete fan
    God, for a minute I thought that said big Pat fan.
    *feels faint

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Only one question needed to be asked by Pat and that is "why do we live in a world where people waste their time, money and breath on talentless, has-been junkies such as yourself?" Would have been a short interview but at least it might have increased (or even started) my appreciation for the LLS.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

why does pat kenny get paid that kind of money? and can us taxpayers who pay his big fat salary not decide we don't want him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Diarmey

Will there be any more repeats of this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭holly1

why does pat kenny get paid that kind of money? and can us taxpayers who pay his big fat salary not decide we don't want him?

I agree 100%Sinead,he is a boaring sod.
    Did anyone notice the dirt of Pete,s nails:eek:.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Hi I agree with most of the above.

I think everybody knows at this stage that Pat is a very limited interviewer. He is excellent on the political stuff, and is very well prepared (almost to the point of knowing more about the subject than the person he is interviewing).

He CANNOT interview particular types of guests... comedians, younger musicians and the like. Anything where a bit of humour might be needed.

He should have noticed how much he was pissing of Pete Doherty, and changed the line of questioning. Instead he persisted with the drug questioning, and when asked to change, he changed to the one other thing that Pete would get asked about most.

I also always find his generic "I listened to your album during the week and thought it was excellent" which applies for all musicians that he has on the show. Comes across as insincere.

They should have put Petula Clark on the Late Late Show and swopped Pete on to Tubridy, although their schedules prob would not have allowed this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 ihatepatkenny

truly excruciating tv. PK and the Late, Late are a total disgrace to the nation - the lack of research, a waste of a great guest, the cringy fan in the audience, the complete absence of tact, the simpering "what's the irish connection" question...shudder, shudder, shudder, shudder. Anyone up for a "fire pat kenny" protest outside RTE?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 UNDER-ACHIEVER

Pat Kenny is a shambles. His status as an experienced interviewer was completely destroyed last night - 06/02/2009 on the ‘Late Late Show’. He showed little interest in his so called “guest” and made a mockery out of the Irish public. He had no manners towards Pete Doherty and was completely unprepared for the show. Pat Kenny gets paid a big enough salary to at least fulfil the basic requirements of his job - to know who he is interviewing. I e-mailed RTÉ last night after watching the show and this morning I received a reply stating that it will be forwarded to the editorial team and to the ‘Late Late Show’ too. I know this means nothing and it is just an attempt to keep a "moaning" viewer content, but I would love Pat to get a “slap on the hand” for his evident faux-pas.

Pete Doherty is an iconic figure and he is evidently talented. Although his life has been scandalised in the tabloids it is obvious there is more to him than just the - “drug abuser” image. I acknowledge that it was obvious, and in some ways necessary to question Pete about his lust for drugs, and his previous relationship with Kate Moss, as it an obvious topic to start with, but this shouldn’t have been the ONLY aspect of Pete that should be emphasised. Certainly the topic should have been avoided after Pete’s clear discomfort was shown. For those people who do not know Pete apart from the “misguided” and “drug abuser” portrayal, well I believe he was disgracefully misrepresented.

Last nights show was an appalling representation of Irish television, however it just goes to show how little interest Pat has in his job and shows how “out of touch” and “out of his depth” he really is. Fair play also to the eloquent “libertine” who was not phased by the ignorance and condescending nature of his interviewer, and brilliantly put Pat in his place when he asked - "I don't know if you could name a song that I've written?", to which the clearly unprepared apparently experienced Pat could only reply: "No, possibly not." That in my opinion just goes to show how ridiculous, rude and rubbish the “Late Late Show” has become.

It really is a disgrace. I have always had a dislike towards Pat Kenny, probably this is because im only 18 and Pat is clearly from a different "school of thought" and I cannot relate to a middle-aged man, but this doesn't mean i don't understand basic manners. He was arrogant, rude and he couldn’t have made the interview anymore boring if he was even bothered to try. He needs to realise how lucky he is, to firstly have a dream job and secondly to be earning a fortune. Years of television has made him lax, maybe if rather than - when, he starts appreciating his job he will become more interested in his work. He is an utter embarrassment.

RTÉ need to "pull up their socks" and get their "thinking caps on" if they are to maintain and entice more youth to watch the show. With the ever growing choice at our disposal with sky digital and the likes, I don't believe the "Late Late Show" has much of a future. They are slowly but surely running out of steam..

Dara Ó Briain or even Tubridy would fill the role more effectively in my opinion.

Would'nt mind a FIRE PAT protest, that interview was just one more -too bad..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭Leaderbored

Anyone up for a "fire pat kenny" protest outside RTE?

Naah. Its too cold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Stevieo

I have always had a dislike towards Pat Kenny, probably this is because im only 18 and Pat is clearly from a different "school of thought" and I cannot relate to a middle-aged man...

Is that not the same attitude that (I've heard) Pat displayed to Pete? Other than that I agree with pretty much everything you say, and have to give you an extreme level of kudos for going to the trouble of complaining to the RTE nazis, with little hope of any action ever being taken.

Didn't catch the actual show but I most certainly will be watching the repeat on Tuesday night. My point revolves mostly around what others have told me, what I've read on this post and on certain news websites.

I was one of the lucky enough people to get access to the Trinity interview, and I can testify that there were plenty of risque personal topics touched on (if you haven't heard); his son and drug problems were discussed, and one person even asked "So how is it with Carl these days?". The difference is that Pete was asked these in a comfortable enviornment, where those posing the questions displayed an evident interest in and respect for the man, despite their understandings of his difficult past. From what I gather, Kenny did neither. While the former interviewees may have been Pete Doherty/Libertines/Babyshambles fans, it's not the most difficult thing to do to understand where the line is.

Pat Kenny's problem was paraded on national television last night; his lack of ability to ask original questions, ones he doesn't actually know the answrs to. When Pete took a sidestep and decided to direct the interview himself for a brief moment, Kenny was left to look like an idiot. Rightly so. The man knew that Pete was performing on his show that night!! He could of at least had the decency to learn the name of the single he was playing?

My main concern is that, despite everyone being aware of Pat Kenny's major flaws (Christmas comes early when we see him struggle with children on the Toy Show annually), nothing's going to change. The captain of a sinking ship...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Samurai wrote: »
    yeah its crazy what pat earns considering the average joe could do a far better job

You could do better?

Advertisement