Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

19-01-2009, 17:01   #31
BoardsRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie Dakota View Post
Am I the only one that find posts like this unsavoury? People are loosing their jobs daily and we have someone looking for advice on how best to blow €80K. Good for you but I am sure there are people here who don't need to hear about your dilemma. I also find it hard to believe that with your budget and stated wishlist (so you obviously know your cars) that you don't already have a pretty clear idea of what car you want to buy. I doubt suggestions here are going to influence your spend.

This is not a personal attack, I simply feel that posts like this leave a bad taste at the moment.
In fairness, not everyone is broke! This man obviously has the money, and wants to get advice in a motors forum so i dont see the problem.
Advertisement
19-01-2009, 17:02   #32
Limerick man

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve06 View Post
+1000

My god, yummmm
19-01-2009, 17:03   #33
Rowley Birkin QC

Would a GT-R float your boat MarkN? I'm guessing not but just putting it out there.

Don't know how much the VRT would put on it but theres ones available on pistonheads.co.uk for £59,995 before any bargaining.
19-01-2009, 17:04   #34
Ferris

Quote:
Am I the only one that find posts like this unsavoury? People are loosing their jobs daily and we have someone looking for advice on how best to blow €80K. Good for you but I am sure there are people here who don't need to hear about your dilemma. I also find it hard to believe that with your budget and stated wishlist (so you obviously know your cars) that you don't already have a pretty clear idea of what car you want to buy. I doubt suggestions here are going to influence your spend.

This is not a personal attack, I simply feel that posts like this leave a bad taste at the moment.
Again not a personnal attack but I think its attitiudes like the one you have that are part of the problem we have. The car industry is in strife because people like MarkN aren't spending big money on cars, who knows, he might save a dealership from going under, saving a good few people from the dole. Either way your post is OT (as is mine so i'm gonna stop).
19-01-2009, 17:07   #35
MarkN

That CLK is bloody gorgeous.

I'm not blowing 80k, I've equity in my BMW so the cost of change is what I'm blowing. Depending on the price tag and the deal I can hammer out, that's about the cost of a new VW Scirocco or a Ford Focus with all the trimmings.

I'd also draw your attention to something - yes the situation in places is bad but banks are still very much lending money to people with good credit history.

Also Stevie - yes in an ideal world a 911 is what I'd love but I'm just seeing what others hold up there as something special.

Last edited by MarkN; 19-01-2009 at 17:11.
Advertisement
19-01-2009, 17:07   #36
Rowley Birkin QC

It might just try to kill you but... http://pistonheads.co.uk/sales/788809.htm

19-01-2009, 17:08   #37
Biro

I doubt €80k will get you a 997 yet. The one in the above post isn't VRT'd. The Aston is a nice suggestion.
If you could get one then I would get a 997 Carerra S. GTR probably doesn't interest you, also probably over budget. You'll have to drop years to go Italian or British, don't think you'll do that either. So that leaves German really. An AMG of sorts maybe? What are you thinking? We need more to go on!
19-01-2009, 17:12   #38
Victor_M

Good jesus it's almost impossible to keep a thread on track around here.

Mark you have been sniffing around 911 and an M3 for a while now, the S5 is probably the only other car that you will seriously consider based on your previous wish lists. If I was spending 80K it would be an XKR without doubt

FWIW If it was my money and I was choosing only between the Porker, Audi and M3, I'd go for the M3, like the E46 it's a very capable all rounder, might not be different enough from your own one though.

The 911 is a cracking car not as flexible at the M3 or the S5 in terms of practicality and ability to leave parked around the place relatively anonymously.

Edit: Actually just a though, would an SL appeal to you at all, a beautiful car that seems to be plummeting in value?

Last edited by Victor_M; 19-01-2009 at 17:14.
19-01-2009, 17:14   #39
ronnie3585

For me it would be without question a 997C2S. I think you could get a decent one landed for around the €80k mark. Failing that a 993TT /drool.
Advertisement
19-01-2009, 17:22   #40
unkel
Seņor Fring

Quote:
Am I the only one that find posts like this unsavoury?
No more off topic, folks. Final warning...
19-01-2009, 17:23   #41
MarkN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biro View Post
I doubt €80k will get you a 997 yet. The one in the above post isn't VRT'd. The Aston is a nice suggestion.
If you could get one then I would get a 997 Carerra S. GTR probably doesn't interest you, also probably over budget. You'll have to drop years to go Italian or British, don't think you'll do that either. So that leaves German really. An AMG of sorts maybe? What are you thinking? We need more to go on!
Richford have a 06 997 for low 80s (I could get them down a bit I'm sure) but it's a bit of a high miler.
19-01-2009, 17:23   #42
unkel
Seņor Fring

997 or perhaps Cayman S?
19-01-2009, 17:34   #43
MarkN

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkel View Post
997 or perhaps Cayman S?
Unkel I've been trying to do a deal with a dealer who has a gorgeous black Cayman S - 07. It's missing xenons and sat nav but that's about all. It's too rich at 78k, I've watched the car since the middle of summer and it's had a few grand knocked off but that's it. Offered the same money that I was offered in Duffy's against the M3 though.

Belgard have better specced Caymans with the horrible wheels for close on 20k less than the black Cayman I looked it - put it that way.
19-01-2009, 17:37   #44
Anan1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferris View Post
Again not a personnal attack but I think its attitiudes like the one you have that are part of the problem we have. The car industry is in strife because people like MarkN aren't spending big money on cars, who knows, he might save a dealership from going under, saving a good few people from the dole. Either way your post is OT (as is mine so i'm gonna stop).
I'm all on for MarkN spending his own money on a car he likes. As justifications for dropping €80k go, though, saving an Irish dealership would be fairly well down my list.

Here's a very low mileage 997 for close to budget, if a cabriolet would be a runner?

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index...&carID=1252295
Thanks from:
19-01-2009, 17:38   #45
Anan1

A Cayman has no back seats at all - you'd be surprised how useful the back seats in a 911 are when compared with nothing.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion