Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stores Closing in Sligo **mod warning post #720**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

I see Genesis Gym in Finisklin closed down last Mondsy. They posted on their Facebook advising members to message them privately to get a refund, hope people aren't left out of pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭mcgiggles

Is that the kinda warehouse one that was super cheap? across from the bed place?

Yeah, that's the one.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭easkey

Heard PC World is closing down in July, not sure about Currys.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

easkey wrote: »
    Heard PC World is closing down in July, not sure about Currys.

PC World and Currys are suppose to be reopened/Redeveloped as one store (was told this by one of PC World's own staff last year some time), in the UK some of them also include Carphone Warehouse. Not sure which of the stores in Sligo Retail Park is being closed to accommodate this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,757 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    PC World and Currys are suppose to be reopened/Redeveloped as one store (was told this by one of PC World's own staff last year some time), in the UK some of them also include Carphone Warehouse. Not sure which of the stores in Sligo Retail Park is being closed to accommodate this.

must make sense from a financial point of view - but i personally like them better when they are seperate

must make sense from a financial point of view - but i personally like them better when they are seperate

As far as I know, PC World and Currys are now the one company. Although I would imagine that the Chamber of Commerce would probably stop or have something to say on Carphone Warehouse being part of any development, as they may not fit in with what's considered a warehouse/bulk seller.

As far as I know, PC World and Currys are now the one company. Although I would imagine that the Chamber of Commerce would probably stop or have something to say on Carphone Warehouse being part of any development, as they may not fit in with what's considered a warehouse/bulk seller.

yep thats right - infringing on the silly restrictions they have in place up there at that retail park, may look good on paper and in theory but doesnt really work in real life seeing as a lot of the stuff they already sell up there is not all bulk goods.

In fact I am trying to just think what would be classed in Currys/PC world as 'Bulk/Warehouse goods' - you got fridges and freezers but they are called white goods.. then you have TV's I suppose .. are they classing them as bulk goods? ... then you can buy something as little as a cordless phone handset you can buy .... but they wouldnt be able to sell mobile phones up there ... I dunno - weird! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Delacent

PC world and Currys have always been the same company (part of Dixons Retail). Carphone Warehouse is now also part of same group.

They've been merging the three brands together for the past year.

No issue on planning if the mobile phones are in a small area within the store.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,499 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Delacent wrote: »
    PC world and Currys have always been the same company (part of Dixons Retail). Carphone Warehouse is now also part of same group.

They've been merging the three brands together for the past year.

No issue on planning if the mobile phones are in a small area within the store.

They've done this so far in Galway, Limerick, Liffey Valley, Swords, and I think Dundalk without issue over the past 12 months.

• Advertisement

They've done this so far in Galway, Limerick, Liffey Valley, Swords, and I think Dundalk without issue over the past 12 months.

Sligo retail park though has its very own finicky SEDP Plan though (Sligo Environ, Development Plan) which is a whole different ball game from other retail parks though and have much more restrictions in place i believe... thats why I cabnnot see them allowing CP even in a little area of there store up there - I'd love to be proved wrong

Sligo retail park though has its very own finicky SEDP Plan though (Sligo Environ, Development Plan) which is a whole different ball game from other retail parks though and have much more restrictions in place i believe... thats why I cabnnot see them allowing CP even in a little area of there store up there - I'd love to be proved wrong

But as you say, if they can sell cordless phones and the like, mobiles should not be a problem.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Currys and PC World used to sell mobiles a few years ago. If it wasn't a problem then, I can't see it being a problem now.

Currys and PC World used to sell mobiles a few years ago. If it wasn't a problem then, I can't see it being a problem now.

as far as I can remember if Currys and PC World did sell Mobile's they certainly werent allowed to sell them up at the Retail park in their store(s) up there - it was contraband :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Not technically a phone but I bought an iPod in PC World 3 years ago.

Bought a packet of screws from Homebase .... boy it was a dream to just park up there with that big car park, open up the boot and load my 'Bulky' pack of screws straight into the back the car ;) :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭T-Bird

Bought a packet of screws from Homebase .... boy it was a dream to just park up there with that big car park, open up the boot and load my 'Bulky' pack of screws straight into the back the car ;) :rolleyes:

Crikey! You will need a Juggernaut for the screwdriver :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

I met some friends who are Sligo natives in the town centre before Christmas, they moved away years ago and hadn't been there in ages, they were blown away by the levels of dereliction.

To improve the town centre, you first have to to acknowledge the mistakes that were made in the past, but that will never happen, not when they can be repeated.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Freddie Mercurys Bolero

Molly's diner is closed in fairness they had it coming a long time. Feel sorry for the staff though.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,806 ✭✭✭✭Basq

^ Shame.. wasn't there too often but always solid enough (albeit greasy) food.

• Advertisement

That the one on the old Sligo road? I think it is. It was only last week I heard a new advert on oceanfm about driving home and ordering a takeaway carvery for a tenner from them, I thought that was a pretty good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Lyle Lanley

Basq wrote: »
    ^ Shame.. wasn't there too often but always solid enough (albeit greasy) food.
    Think most Sligo people are the same. Been in a few times over the years, always enjoyed it but never rushed back.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,806 ✭✭✭✭Basq

That the one on the old Sligo road? I think it is. It was only last week I heard a new advert on oceanfm about driving home and ordering a takeaway carvery for a tenner from them, I thought that was a pretty good idea.
    No, that's Molly Fulton's.

Molly's Diner is next to Connollys Pub across from The Glasshouse.

Basq wrote: »
    No, that's Molly Fulton's.

Molly's Diner is next to Connollys Pub across from The Glasshouse.

ah right thanks for clearing that up ....getting me Molly's mixed up ... :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Ulster Bank Ballymote branch being closed along with 21 other branches. Supposedly downsizing the Sligo branch too.

Necrominus wrote: »
    Ulster Bank Ballymote branch being closed along with 21 other branches. Supposedly downsizing the Sligo branch too.

blimey - the effect of online banking maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭curtisbrown

Currid's Pub on Burton Street is closed too i hear

blimey - the effect of online banking maybe?

Yes, they stated they average thirty customers daily in the branches being closed. I end up in a bank about twice per year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,126 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Currid's Pub on Burton Street is closed too i hear
    ya closed up around Christmas time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

shanec1928 wrote: »
    ya closed up around Christmas time

Owners retired afaik

Advertisement